Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Foundational Principle #12 – Speed Matters

Comments

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

This is a good one to read. The best part is where he talks about how the alpha testers might be playing on just grassy fields with no scenery or other environmental items. They want the testers to help them develop gameplay that will still be fun after months of playing. The environment and art will be built around that and not the other way around.

Who knows how the game will turn out, but it sounds like they have a really good gameplan.

• fanglofanglo Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by Jimmac

This is a good one to read. The best part is where he talks about how the alpha testers might be playing on just grassy fields with no scenery or other environmental items. They want the testers to help them develop gameplay that will still be fun after months of playing. The environment and art will be built around that and not the other way around.

Who knows how the game will turn out, but it sounds like they have a really good gameplan.

I bet that grassy test field will have better rvr than most mmo's out today! LOL that's how depressing rvr is at the moment which is sad.

I healed Mistwraith and all I got was this stupid tee-shirt!

• Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Member Posts: 405

"Today I want to talk about graphics, and gameplay, and performance. They’re all connected, so it’s hard to talk about any one of them in isolation — and if you do, you’ll end up rendering yourself into a corner."  - Andrew

I see what you did there.

I'm thoroughly excited about this FP because it shows that CSE is dedicated to focus on what matters:  smooth, fluid gameplay backed up with solid mechanics and art.

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

• drakon3drakon3 Member Posts: 114

I'm excited that it seems alpha access is possible.  I just hope it's not only the very top tier(s).

After the WAR beta, I have really hated the paid beta test thing that's been the norm lately.  (I.E. Preorder to get access to beta).  However, with CU and the KS it feels different.  Granted we have yet to see how much input from KS will actually shape the game, but I'm excited about it.  Because it's not a theme park PvE game, I don't care about seeing all the content early.  I want to be a part of shaping an MMO experience I have not found since quitting DAoC years ago.

• akleyakley Member Posts: 17
    sounds perfect
  • SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    I am so pumped. TAKE MY MONIEZ!
  • LawtoweenLawtoween Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Originally posted by PerfArt
    I am so pumped. TAKE MY MONIEZ!

+1

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by fanglo

I bet that grassy test field will have better rvr than most mmo's out today! LOL that's how depressing rvr is at the moment which is sad.

It's no joke. Part of what I hate about GW 2's WvW and was also true of WAR is how restricted movement is with one way cliffs all over the place and tons of hills and other obstructions. I'd take a featureless green field over those maps any day.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• LawtoweenLawtoween Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Originally posted by meddyck
    Originally posted by fanglo

It's no joke. Part of what I hate about GW 2's WvW and was also true of WAR is how restricted movement is with one way cliffs all over the place and tons of hills and other obstructions. I'd take a featureless green field over those maps any day.

Your point is well taken when the objective is to capture a location that the restricted movement prevents you from reaching, because an enemy premade is blocking the ONLY way to it, rather than defending the objective itself, and your side's zerg won't send any help.

• BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472

for me, CU could have graphics just a tad better than DAoC and i'd be fine with it, as long as it runs very smoothly.

A laggy game is worst for immersion than graphics, imo that is.

So this FP is good news to me too.

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR

• ZiftylrhavicZiftylrhavic Member Posts: 222

I wouldn't mind to have the same graphics than DAoC here ^^

Waiting for more details :)

• EllyaEllya Member Posts: 99

If only we could have a taste of what kind of graphics CSE are aiming for.   I'm not expecting bang up to date graphics, but it would be a bit of a disappointment if we ended up with something that looks like it was made in the 90's.

The thing is, DAoC is still up and running, and many have said on other threads that if the graphics were better they'd still be playing there. If CU doesn't end up with better graphics than current DAoC, where would be the incentive to play the new game rather than the old?

If only we knew..... :)

Art direction goes a long way. If CSE indeed has a good group of artists, they should be able to make a good-looking game without pushing twelve trillion polys and super high rez textures with insane AA.

As long as it has charm, it'll work.
  • EllyaEllya Member Posts: 99

I'm curious about the graphic that accompanies the FP on the CSE page. Looking at the info it's called "mdroughs09".  MD? Who or what is MD?

And a woodland scene.. RvR in the woods? Looks intriguing... :)

@Ellya

I really hope there is varying terrain that affects rvr dynamics. Would really open up a lot of strategic elements for groups, soloers, and even zergs.
  • evil13evil13 Member CommonPosts: 359

Considering that most rvr in daoc took place in emain (on most servers) which was pretty much a golf course with it's level, green fields, this shouldn't be much of a problem.

• alexisevicalexisevic Member Posts: 41
    Please please PLEASE build the game as a 64 bit executable.  Ram is dirt cheep, and I think there is a lot of performance to be gained if we could simply use more of it. 
  • LoiraLoira Member Posts: 89
    Great read.  If there is one thing CSE does take from WOW, Art Dirrection and Performance > Super Advanced Graphics.
  • StilerStiler Member Posts: 599

Nailing the "art style" early can drastically help. Games don't have to be bleeding edge technically to look "Good."

Look at a gaame series like Darksiders, it had excellent art style/direction and no where near the "technical" graphic of say, Crysis. However I found Darksiders to be a much more "memorable" game in terms of its artistic appeal.

Still, i do hope that doesn't mean they don't provide optoins to turn things up, that are optional and can help. Lighting, shadows, resolution of textures, things tihat can scale and allow people iwth higher end computer sto turn it on or lower end computers to turn it down/off and still run the game fine.
  • morfidonmorfidon Member Posts: 245

Graphic should be for sure better than in daoc. I wanted to invite some friends to daoc and they said that they liked it but the graphic... 

So yea. Graphic is not so important but it must be better than in daoc. Just don't change the style of graphic. No damn graphic ala WoW O.o

Look at this guy and his work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=r5ft8eqHRSA

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1402817/daoc_16092012.jpg

http://mharjula.blogspot.com/

it doesn't need to have so many lights etc. but it should look good for eyes.

It should look like here:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4049/4269881448_6f22ee8204_o.jpg

Then everyone would be pleased. And I think nowdays computers can run games like this easly even with many ppl on screen.

• gylnnegylnne Member UncommonPosts: 322

Alpha testing is fun. Had a chance to alpha test Guild Wars many years ago. Developing the gameplay first makes so much sense.

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

I like the reference to MMO tourists.

People who are just looking for the next shiny object seem to be what every game is going after which seems to have resulted in games that have zero longevity and poorly thought out or tested mechanics.

• BordogBordog Member Posts: 34

I have to say I'm loving the ideaology coming out of CSE. I'm so on board for creating a game which is not a theme park for tourists and a place that can become my next "home" for the unforseeable future.

"...but rather than going for the highest frame rate, our benchmark is the number of players on-screen while running smoothly at our target frame rate. Gameplay and Performance are the two top-level goals of the engineering team, and if we achieve them, we’re good."

I like the goals CSE has here as well. I remember showing up to a Zerg vs Zerg fight and my computer couldn't handle all the people in one place. Of course we have made significant hardware improvements since as well as bandwidth increases. I really want the performance and gameplay to be quality. I also enjoy a beautiful game, but I agree these two should be top priority.

• BordogBordog Member Posts: 34
    Originally posted by morfidon

Graphic should be for sure better than in daoc. I wanted to invite some friends to daoc and they said that they liked it but the graphic... 

So yea. Graphic is not so important but it must be better than in daoc. Just don't change the style of graphic. No damn graphic ala WoW O.o

Look at this guy and his work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=r5ft8eqHRSA

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1402817/daoc_16092012.jpg

http://mharjula.blogspot.com/

it doesn't need to have so many lights etc. but it should look good for eyes.

It should look like here:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4049/4269881448_6f22ee8204_o.jpg

Then everyone would be pleased. And I think nowdays computers can run games like this easly even with many ppl on screen.

That's actually a really cool project. It it definately an improvement on the old DAoC graphics but doesn't look too overdone to make it difficult for everyone to run.

• RealLifeGobboRealLifeGobbo Member Posts: 218
    P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

There is a delicate balance that has to be done, to make it look good, but not be too system intensive, that it runs slow with a handful of people near you.  Games like Vanguard or Age of Conan were beautiful games, but system intensive.  One game that always stands out in my mind for beauty and non-system intensive is EVE Online. Grant it, they have an advantage, since a lot of the time it is rendering space and space is well... empty, so they can get away not having to render trees, keeps, wildlife, etc.

Aspiring Game Musician <<>> Inquiring ears, feel free to visit: http://www.youtube.com/user/vagarylabs