Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I've only seen the starter zone so far...

VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

So, in all the OFFICIAL (notice: "offical") videos, clips, features and interviews, i've only seen Trion showing the starting zone.

With the release in less than two weeks and nobody seem to have seen any more zones yet, I'm a little suspicious that game will be released with the featured initial zone only and further zones will get unlocked or offered a DLCs as the tv-series progresses. This would make sense in order to keep the game and the tv-show rather close to each other in terms of the main story...at least i'd guess so.

Add to that the fact that Rift started with the probably tiniest ingame-world any game got released with, i wouldn't be surprised if what we've seen to far from Defiance is all that Trion has to offer at release.

Hence my question: Has anyone read an official statement regarding the landmass Defiance will start with?

*Please refrain from NDA-breaking information and stick with infos which are public so far.

Comments

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    I recall with GW2 that most of the zones were never opened until after release, could be something similar as well. However, unlocking zones as the TV show progresses... I can't actually say that I hate that idea. It's interesting... something new. Maybe it'll throttle us too much, maybe not... we'll have to see how it plays out (or if that's even going to be the case). 

Oderint, dum metuant.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Well I am not going to pay anything until I see some proper reviews. Or will the game be F2P?
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by DMKano
    After NDA drops ill be able to answer this.

Ok, if there is really no official info on this and Trion is keeping basic stuff like size of the landmass under NDA until release, this smells more than fishy to me.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Volgore

Ok, if there is really no official info on this and Trion is keeping basic stuff like size of the landmass under NDA until release, this smells more than fishy to me.

Can't be smaller than Firefall lol.

• gadunkgadunk Member UncommonPosts: 164
    In Rift, Trion put out a quality game at release. I'm confident in this one as well and looking forward to it. Especially sitting my fat butt on the couch playing on the 55" via xbox :)
  • ozbaabozbaab Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by gadunk
    In Rift, Trion put out a quality game at release. I'm confident in this one as well and looking forward to it. Especially sitting my fat butt on the couch playing on the 55" via xbox :)

Or, playing it infront of the 55", controller in hand via PC ;)

• evemaster00evemaster00 Member Posts: 171
    That's because the zone you start in is the whole game. It's one fairly large zone and that's it, sure it's seemless and that's great, but it's still not much in comparison to most mmos. Then again Defiance isn't really an mmo, it's a shooter with mmo lite features.
  • WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    This is the only thing holding me back, I tryed to seach google but only found pictures of the map we se in videos.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by evemaster00
    That's because the zone you start in is the whole game. It's one fairly large zone and that's it, sure it's seemless and that's great, but it's still not much in comparison to most mmos. Then again Defiance isn't really an mmo, it's a shooter with mmo lite features.

If what we've seen so far is all we'll be getting at release, another problem is going to be that we'll be seeing the same few mobs allover.

I was hoping for a ton more variety and also better quality possibly coming with more zones. So far at least the humanoid NPCs are terrible in both looks and animations and they are also only a few models used.

• SchockeySchockey Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Where is Bill Murphy and Grakulen on this one??? Did I miss something? Cmon guys we are hanging out here.
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

I counter your fishy smell with a free beta key oO 

http://www.mmorpg.com/giveaways.cfm/offer/424/Defiance-Beta-Key-Giveaway.html

Theres like 6,000 keys left. Why ask questions and call it fishy when you can experience it yourself this weekend. 

• CryptorCryptor Member UncommonPosts: 523

After NDA drops I'll be more then happy to reply to the drama you're spinning here.

Left assured ther is nothing to be worried about, this is a fantastic, large and very fun game.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Well I am not going to pay anything until I see some proper reviews. Or will the game be F2P?

The game is B2P with purchasable DLC of unknown type.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• ozbaabozbaab Member Posts: 10

I'm not worried and I haven't played the beta yet.

They have several DLC packages planned so it shouldn't be a problem!

If what we've seen so far is all we'll be getting at release, another problem is going to be that we'll be seeing the same few mobs allover.

I was hoping for a ton more variety and also better quality possibly coming with more zones. So far at least the humanoid NPCs are terrible in both looks and animations and they are also only a few models used.

You're correct that Defiance consists of the same few npcs over and over. There's only a small handful of different npc types.

Originally posted by ozbaab

They're releasing 20% of a game for the cost of a full game, then charging you extra for the content they held back to sell you later as DLCs.

My opinion of Trion has dropped greatly since seeing the Defiance fiasco. A company should not be rewarded for shady business practices.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

NDA is still in place but dont expect to be amazed..

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

This has to be true. Firefall is such a steaming turd in every respect. That thing is hopeless...no matter how many times they try to put it in a new wrapper, the insides are still shit. Here's hoping Defiance is at least decent.

Joined - July 2004

• gadunkgadunk Member UncommonPosts: 164

They're releasing 20% of a game for the cost of a full game, then charging you extra for the content they held back to sell you later as DLCs.

My opinion of Trion has dropped greatly since seeing the Defiance fiasco. A company should not be rewarded for shady business practices.

Must be awesome to have all this insider info into all these companies "shady business practices".. care to share your source? or maybe 20% is made up and you have 0 clue what you're talking about... hmm..

• KhamanKhaman Member Posts: 1
    If what I have experienced is any indication of what will be available at launch, prepare to be unimpressed.
  • ThoemseThoemse Member UncommonPosts: 457

I'm not worried and I haven't played the beta yet. They have several DLC packages planned so it shouldn't be a problem!

Funny how you saw this fiasco unravel.
    We lowly mortals have to wait until release to see the whole game.

WTB your crystal ball.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by remyburke
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

This has to be true. Firefall is such a steaming turd in every respect. That thing is hopeless...no matter how many times they try to put it in a new wrapper, the insides are still shit. Here's hoping Defiance is at least decent.

I only got to play on ps3 so far. But without breaking NDA I can basically say Defiance is what I hoped Firefall would be. A real PvE shooter mmo

• SimsuSimsu Member UncommonPosts: 386

Frankly... 60 bucks and the fact that they're promoting DLC so hard right up front makes me want to avoid this game. Even the season pass is 40 bucks and only offeres a discount on the DLC...

I'm not putting a penny into this game until I have some idea about the content we get for 60 bucks and just how stupid they're going to be with DLC (i.e. new instance and a few skins being 20 bucks or something stupid).

• lordtwistedlordtwisted Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Originally posted by Simsu

Frankly... 60 bucks and the fact that they're promoting DLC so hard right up front makes me want to avoid this game. Even the season pass is 40 bucks and only offeres a discount on the DLC...

I'm not putting a penny into this game until I have some idea about the content we get for 60 bucks and just how stupid they're going to be with DLC (i.e. new instance and a few skins being 20 bucks or something stupid).

Welcome to the evolution of online gaming. $60 for the game, and $40 bucks for the DLC.....

Or you can stick with WoW and pay $60 bucks for the game, and another $60 bucks for each add on, plus $15 dollars a month, which adds up to $180 in subscription fees....

Or maybe Call of Duty? $60 for the game, another $80 for the Elite service which gives you all of the DLC? 

I don't think te pricing was too bad on this game. If you are not sure about it, get one of the free beta keys and check it out, or worse case, buy just the game, and if you like it buy the DLC package, if not, your only out the $60...

Not so nice guy!