Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game rocks now more than ever

holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772

Just wanted to let people know that the game is doing really well now that it's gone f2p.  I've avoided f2p games in the past because generally the quality is not there, but TERA has always been a notch above most MMORPGs since its release, and the handling of the transition to free-to-play is no exception.

As many are aware, the thing that really seperates the game is that it's based on the Unreal Engine, which has been refined for many years for multiplayer action combat.  Using that engine for an RPG was a stroke of genius.

Some people say it's a grind, but in reality all MMORPGs are grinds, it's just that in TERA you actually have fun while you're doing it (not to mention there is no horrible grinding on the same modeled NPC over and over like is found in most games- there are tons of unique mobs and each of them have different attacks specialized for what kind of monster they are).

There is only one BG.  That's right, just one.  And guess what?  It's fun pretty much every time.  Because the variety is the style that each player brings to the diverse classes.  

I've been 60 for months on end and there is no end to stuff to do.  There are tons of dungeons to join, random PVP battles between guilds, the BG I mentioned, and now Nexus has been tweeked so it's actually playable by limiting the amount of people to 120 in an area at a time.

Finally, the ft2p economy is functioning completely as intended in TERA.  I myself have yet to spend any money since it went f2p but have been able to obtain costume pieces I've wanted because the items are sellable on the AH.  This means that there's no reason for illicit 3rd party gold-traders spamming chat- the mechanism for gold farmers to make real money is incorporated into the game.

But unlike most games, no matter how much money you have either in gold or dollars, you're still going to have to work for the best items, and because TERA is action-oriented, what really matters is your skill and attention you pay to each battle.

All in all the game is the best executed MMO I've ever seen, and DEVs are still active producing new content and improving older content (like the recent fix to Nexus).  Highly recommended for anyone that enjoys online role-playing games and action-packed combat.

Comments

• kiddoujansekiddoujanse Member UncommonPosts: 3

hmmm theres gonna be a bot/hacking problem soon enough, and honestly tera is not producing content fast LOL, the only thing they're doing fast is balancing classes and fixing bugs, new content? no, it takes months.

but i do like the game very fun

• RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451

The combat in TERA is hand down, the best in any MMO made to date IMO.   But the grind for random enchantments and random mods and random rep rewards and random EVERYTHING, really, really sucks.  And it is a huge grind. 

That said, I'm still playing it atm, the combat is amazing.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Originally posted by Ppiper
    oh, yeah, nothing like grinding for RNG Enchantments, real fun there.

I've heard of people having horrible luck enchanting but I have full +9 gear and I didn't fail an unreasonable amount of times getting it.

There's plenty of ways to make gold in the game.  If you only do one way and make it into a grind, then you're really making the game unfun for yourself, not to mention gimping yourself in other areas of the game.

As for the other guy, well I kind of wish they'd spend some time balancing classes.  Lancers are just ridiculous in PVP in my opinion.

But all in all, it's probably the single MMORPG I've ever played WITHOUT a "gimp class".  No matter what you choose, you will be able to contribute meaningfully in pvp and pve.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    If this game "Rocks now more than ever" it must have been really, really bad prior to this.  It's just another tedious rehash of every MMO we've seen since UO and EQ.  The combat is nothing special, the quests are cookie-cutter "kill X of X" and the classes are just insipid.  No wonder it went free to play so fast - it just isn't worth paying for.
  • PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by Dibdabs
     The combat is nothing special

People only say this when they haven't done level 60 hardmodes.

One failed block or dodge = dead, and it's entirely your fault if you die, that kind of combat just doesnt exist in most MMOs. It's also extremely fast paced and tactical, in PvP especially, I have to watch all of my opponents animations and cancel them with my stagger attacks before they manage to cast them, also need to watch their animations to dodge sleeps/stuns. Very interactive.

As bad as the systems in TERA are, the combat is so exceptional it keeps myself and many friends playing no matter how much we complain about the stupid Korean mechanics and design choices.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

It's not my favorite MMO ever, but the fact that I'm playing it again and for more than a few hours says it's worth my time... probably.  I thought the same thing about WAR and Rift, and maybe I don't like the combat as much as I like GW2's but it's actually pretty fun.  Unfortunately, it seems that it really mimicks Aion in length of time it takes to kill something your level or higher.  I'm not sure I want to spend 30 minutes on one BAM. lol

To be fair though, most games see a drastic upswing in new players after going F2P, the question is: will it last?

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668

playing TERA since it went f2p. i m more tha satisfied with the f2p model they implement. i like the game more than i thought i would. very nice graphics, excellent combat, good looking world, nice ah & economy, GvG, dungeons/bams/raid, very good ui, lfg, nice crafting etc.

all in all is a very nice game. adding the excellent f2p model makes it even better :)

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Eir_S

it seems that it really mimicks Aion in length of time it takes to kill something your level or higher.  I'm not sure I want to spend 30 minutes on one BAM. lol

They're called 5 man quests because of the time it takes to kill one. If you're good at fighting you can solo most of them but you still have to overcome the fact that they are scaled for 5 man parties.

I'm sure if they ever do add more content we'd see a lot more 3 and 2 man bams. Most of the newer areas all have them and are for more solo friendly time wise while still giving smaller groups something to go after.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Pivotelite

One failed block or dodge = dead, and it's entirely your fault if you die, that kind of combat just doesnt exist in most MMOs. It's also extremely fast paced and tactical, in PvP especially, I have to watch all of my opponents animations and cancel them with my stagger attacks before they manage to cast them, also need to watch their animations to dodge sleeps/stuns. Very interactive.

As bad as the systems in TERA are, the combat is so exceptional it keeps myself and many friends playing no matter how much we complain about the stupid Korean mechanics and design choices.

If a game can't sell a player on it's qualities in the first hour, it's not a good sign.  It's worse when the fans of the game suggest you have to make it to level 60 and do hard modes to see the good in the game.  FAIL.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

I jumped back in and am having a lot of fun.  I'm not at the max level yet and I have not had to spend any money yet.  You move through zones pretty fast so I have not gotten bored of any location yet like I did in Wow.  I really enjoy the combat and being able to actually block or avoid attacks.  The new F2P model rocks.  I understand some people having issues with the grind but the new F2P model doesnt leave a lot of room for complaints.  It is about as totally free as you are going to get without a company going bankrupt.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by waynejr2

If a game can't sell a player on it's qualities in the first hour, it's not a good sign.  It's worse when the fans of the game suggest you have to make it to level 60 and do hard modes to see the good in the game.  FAIL.

The combat is skill based and unlike most mmos. It gets harder as you progress because the game is teaching you as you go. ( bams swing harder, faster and more often as you lvl ) His comment meant you can't say the combat is nothing special untill you've tried it at its hardest lvl. People who are lvl 10 saying the combat is too easy are like people who set a game to easy and say it's a bad game because it was easy.

If the game started you off like lvl 60 bams fight, most people wouldn't get past the starter isle. People tend to take falure when trying to do something in  a game as a sign of poor game design and quit if it happens too often.

Originally posted by DamonVile

If the game started you off like lvl 60 bams fight, most people wouldn't get past the starter isle. People tend to take falure when trying to do something in  a game as a sign of poor game design and quit if it happens too often.

Well everyone I know quits before they finish the starter island and it has nothing to do with the combat.  They think the game is designed poorly for other reasons, but they don't seem to have a problem with the combat.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by waynejr2

TERA was nerfed over and over and over again just like every other MMO, when it released in Korea even normal mobs would destroy you and it put people off the game, they eventually nerfed normal mobs, then nerfed BAMs, then nerfed elite quest mobs. Thats what the genre became, its casual and theres nothing we can do about it because if you make something hard everyone complains. BAMs were recently nerfed AGAIN in KTERA, luckily in NA we complained non-stop on the forums and EME actually fought and the changes were not brought over here.

While I dont agree with TERAs form of progression because it makes the low levels way too limiting, at least it has progression. GW2 felt the same at level 20 and level 80. In TERA you start off with few skills, no rooting cancelling skill, no attack speed on weapons and no attack speed on glyphs. You don't get all your skills until 60, you generally dont get attack speed weapons until 40 and double attack speed until 60, you dont get glyphs until 20 and you dont get good glyphs until 60.

Its unfortunate you start that way and that so many people are turned off by it.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by DamonVile

Well everyone I know quits before they finish the starter island and it has nothing to do with the combat.  They think the game is designed poorly for other reasons, but they don't seem to have a problem with the combat.

That's basically TERA in a nutshell though.

Pretty fun combat, put into one of the blandest games ever made. BAMs CAN be fun, but when soloing it tends to become less of a trial of skill, and more of a trial of patience (how long can I fight the same monster before I get bored?), as many of them take quite a long time to kill by yourself, unless you're fairly over-lvled.

The emphasis on grind-based questing doesn't help it either. It's literally kill x -> kill x -> kill x -> kill x -> ad naseum. I think that's the biggest turn off for most people. And no, that doesn't change at higher lvls at all. Honestly, I'm still trying to give this game a fair shot, but lately I find myself hoping I'm a high enough lvl to do the next dungeon. Everytime I hit that 'dry spell' where I'm too high for the previous, and too low for the next, I get really burnt out on the lvl grinding.

It's a fun enough game for what it is, but it's still basically lineage, minus some of lineage's more interesting features. If they ever manage to add more to this game (and possibly do more w/ the political system) it could be a really impressive game. However, right now it's still pretty basic.

• Agrias34Agrias34 Member UncommonPosts: 147
    I think you might want to spellcheck before posting your message.  Pretty sure you meant to say the word SUCKS instead of rocks.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

The game has awesome GFX and fun combat as well as interesting classes. However, there is virtually no customization so every character of class X is virtually identical to another of the same class. You can enchance your skills but the differences are not very noticeable.

Also the game felt extremely linear with only one leveling path from 1-60. Almost no alternative paths at all! Pretty bad if you ask me.

Finally the game has, or had, PvP servers but very little open world PvP occured because there is virtually no incentives for it. I heard Guild vs Guild battles did occur but only at level cap. This means that you are doing almost exclusively PvE from 1-59. Again, for a PvPer, that is pretty bad...

Originally posted by aesperus

The emphasis on grind-based questing doesn't help it either. It's literally kill x -> kill x -> kill x -> kill x -> ad naseum. I think that's the biggest turn off for most people. And no, that doesn't change at higher lvls at all.

Ah, I figured the fact that you have a bazillion quests to kill those tree monsters on the starting island was an isolated thing.

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458

The emphasis on grind-based questing doesn't help it either. It's literally kill x -> kill x -> kill x -> kill x -> ad naseum. I think that's the biggest turn off for most people. And no, that doesn't change at higher lvls at all.

Ah, I figured the fact that you have a bazillion quests to kill those tree monsters on the starting island was an isolated thing.

Lumberjack title is so appropriate,man I hate those tree's!

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

Originally posted by Torvaldr

It's a fun enough game for what it is, but it's still basically lineage, minus some of lineage's more interesting features. If they ever manage to add more to this game (and possibly do more w/ the political system) it could be a really impressive game. However, right now it's still pretty basic.

That's pretty much why I'm playing it.  I miss that game a lot and just having the mob/item farming aspect satisfies me for now.

I do agree though, it's a pared down shadow of Lineage, but it has a lot of potential.  EME really does seem to make a huge effort with events and such and the business model is one I really want to promote.  I would love to see some of my other sub-free games move this direction (EQ2, LotRO) where your sub and the cash shop buff you.

I think that's why I'm still playing it as well. I had a lot of fun in Lineage, but it wasn't because of the grinding (honestly there's only ever been 2 games where I actually enjoyed grinding in; EQ & FFXI). I definitely hope they add more to the game, and I do agree that EME generally seems to be a good company.

Maybe I'm misreading you, but I don't like business models that give you buffs for paying money (the whole p2w thing). I'd rather see more in terms of customization options (ala PS2 or GW2). Even something where subs who voted influenced politics more than those who didn't I would be cool with.

hah! I wish =/

If anything it gets worse after the starting area. My quest log is literally FILLED with kill X quests. The biggest difference is now I have to get to travel all over the place to complete them.

The combat is fun though, lately I've been trying to choose between Warrior, Slayer, and Sorc. Sorc atm seems like EZ Mode (I literally 2-3 shot most things), Warrior seems very fun, and Slayer I'm a bit Iffy on (seems very RNG based, if you manage to knockdown / get good glyph procs it rocks, if not it's kinda meh). However (and I know this is blasphemy here), I've slowly been starting to drift back towards GW2 again the more I try TERA. Not sure why. With the right setup the game in both games is very similar, though, maybe that's part of it =/.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    TERA is the best free to play mmo out right now. I too want to see some real updates to the game though.
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

having a great time in TERA as well.  happy i'm a founder.

as someone mentioned earlier, the fact that item mall items all can be sold in the AH makes the free to play player able to acquire anything that would otherwise be for sale in the cash shop.  this not only makes it more fair for them (them being non paying folks) but also cuts down drastically on the number of gold spammers (since if you are inclined to spend money for gold, you can just buy something off the cash shop and sell it in the AH)

this idea, of course comes from eve originally (Plex) but it really makes a huge difference in tera as well.  its heavenly to see no mmo gold spams in my chat. 

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• gr0und3dgr0und3d Member Posts: 113
    Originally posted by holdenhamlet

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

I see that attitude alot on these forums and I don't get it.  If you can't make it past lvl 10, get off the tutorial island, or see the long term potential, then why are you even playing MMO's?

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Originally posted by Slappy1

The beginner's Island is the least interesting zone in the game by far.  That's unfortunate because it is the first impression people get of the game.  However, the game opens up fairly quickly afterwards and the quests start getting a lot more fun once you get to group content around level 20 or so.

You only have a few skills at the beginning.  Combat really starts getting interesting and dynamic when you have a bunch of offensive and defensive skills and you have to use the right ones at the right time.

What's really unfortunate since the game's launch is people have judged the game on the first day or two's worth of gameplay.  You'd think by now people would realize that MMORPGs are huge games with hundreds of hours of content and that the beginning of any one of them isn't going to be representative of how most of the game plays.

• gr0und3dgr0und3d Member Posts: 113
    Originally posted by holdenhamlet
    Originally posted by Slappy1

The beginner's Island is the least interesting zone in the game by far.  That's unfortunate because it is the first impression people get of the game.  However, the game opens up fairly quickly afterwards and the quests start getting a lot more fun once you get to group content around level 20 or so.

You only have a few skills at the beginning.  Combat really starts getting interesting and dynamic when you have a bunch of offensive and defensive skills and you have to use the right ones at the right time.

What's really unfortunate since the game's launch is people have judged the game on the first day or two's worth of gameplay.  You'd think by now people would realize that MMORPGs are huge games with hundreds of hours of content and that the beginning of any one of them isn't going to be representative of how most of the game plays.

I have been constantly surprised by TERA.  There have been quite a few times that I entered a zone and just looked around.  Totally forgot what I was doing and just looked at the environment.  Or how the models of the mobs actually matter to their attack patterns.  On noob islnad, there are short little mobs with a weird horn thing on the back of their head so they turn around and fall backwards to attack you.....  or the elk looking mobs ram their antlers at you..... the weird spinning disk guys shove that disk at you to try to hit you... Now apply that to all the awesome/crazy looking pictures of mobs.  How can anyone say this game is boring?