Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Elder Scrolls Online: First-Person, Exploring, and the Nightblade

Comments

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

"The new zones are set up to play with level 50+ content."  Clarify?

I assume this means those zones HAVE TO BE special instanced versions of those areas, otherwise they wouldn't have all 50+ content. 

I see your response above saying it depends on the player, but why didn't you say that in the article?  Are you sure that's how the 2 unlock zones actually work or is this assumption/speculation?

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

My biggest beef with the way they were going was the zone lock, I'm really glad they changed that.

First person is something I'll only use situationally (and very rarely) anyway, doesn't matter much to me... though of course it's always good to have more options.

• JoreelJoreel Member UncommonPosts: 148
    This is great news obviously, now the next question is has anyone gotten a beta key yet? Hopefully beta starts soon :-).
  • GruzzleGruzzle Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by Giffen
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper

well at least they do have a first person view. i guess even the original TES had the option to go 3rd person if you wanted.....

...now they better NOT have stupid lock on tab targeting....

I'm not sure how you do third person without tab targeting...you aren't going to be able to aim very well in third person IMHO.

Giffen, have you tried playing Skyrim on the computer? If so, zoom out and play third-person for a bit. Also, as an MMO? Try TERA. It recently went free2play and uses a "live combat" system. No tab targeting. It's quite a unique and fun experience! I hope ESO pulls it off as well, or better!

• ArkangylGArkangylG Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Originally posted by Giffen
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper

well at least they do have a first person view. i guess even the original TES had the option to go 3rd person if you wanted.....

...now they better NOT have stupid lock on tab targeting....

I'm not sure how you do third person without tab targeting...you aren't going to be able to aim very well in third person IMHO.

Are you joking? Kidding? Play many games? There are a ton of games on the market for the past two decades SP, MP, and MMO (more recently) that re or can be third person that are non-lock or tab targetting. Some might have slightly sticky targetting but not tab. Fallen Earth is one example. TERA. Neverwinter. Global Agenda. Defiance. Heck, even current ES games can be played 3rd person and do not require first.

It will work just fine. ;)

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by pb1285n
    So, after saying first person view would never happened it looks like we're getting it.

Also you can explore the entire world. What will you bitch about now?

The way that it's implemented.  Just because we can explore doesn't mean it's implemented well.  This gives the impression that "endgame" starts at 50.  It's just a band-aid fix to their core design philosophy about open-world pvp.

And First Person View is news?  Really?  I don't understand devs.  Swtor still doesn't have chat bubbles and GW2 still doesn't have First Person View.  These are pretty much standard in MMOs.  The fact that is news is troubling.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by observer
    So, after saying first person view would never happened it looks like we're getting it.

The way that it's implemented.  Just because we can explore doesn't mean it's implemented well.  This gives the impression that "endgame" starts at 50.  It's just a band-aid fix to their core design philosophy about open-world pvp.

And First Person View is news?  Really?  I don't understand devs.  Swtor still doesn't have chat bubbles and GW2 still doesn't have First Person View.  These are pretty much standard in MMOs.  The fact that is news is troubling.

The first person view they are talking about is very different from the first person view you think they are talking about.

In mmo's first person view becomes your camera sitting at your character's head's height and floating gently above the ground as you look around, maybe even toward yoru rear as you float on down the roa.d

This first person view is solidly set (if they do it like oblivion/Skyrim) where you move the direction you are looking AND you have your weapons in hand, which you can see and you can solidly fight in first person all the while seeing yourself block, seeing your sword come down, see your bow string release, see your staff fire and recoil.

It's a very different experience.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    This game is sounding better everytime I read something on it. Fully explorable world regardless of faction, with a reason to do it. Plus the Sorcerer from another article sounded like a really neat class idea. I really want to see these classes in action now.
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514

Well, FPView is 'news' because everyone has been asking about it for a while, and, originally, it wasn't in the game.  The reason they are calling it news, is because they are finally confirming it exists.

I haven't been watching the development of this game super-closely, but it seemed, originally, that alot of the basic Elder Scrolls game systems were not going to be a part of the game.  Only, after much criticism and forum spamming, have alot of those systems suddenly been getting added.

When they started developing this game, they started out with WoW-style combat and no first person, etc.  It's like they've done a complete 180 on all these things(which is good), and so it's good 'news' that those things are making their appearance.

• JasonJJasonJ Member Posts: 395

I would really like to know by what they mean by opening another realm to explore at 50...just explore? Will there be quests? Are we an enemy combatant to the citites in that realm?

While it still sucks to be locked into a realm just by race choice when it comes to RPing it would at least suck less if the other realms have quests in them to do...

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810

On the good side, the exploration of the whole world and 1st person view are great news.

On the bad side, the "wayshrines", or waypoints, make it sound like GW2.  This will make the world just seem that much smaller than it actually is.  I prefered the older games where you hoofed it, litterally.

Originally posted by JasonJ

I would really like to know by what they mean by opening another realm to explore at 50...just explore? Will there be quests? Are we an enemy combatant to the citites in that realm?

While it still sucks to be locked into a realm just by race choice when it comes to RPing it would at least suck less if the other realms have quests in them to do...

The way it was presented in the article, it sounded to me like it will just be an instanced version of the other realm's zones with only your teammates populating it.

So if you are in Enemy Zone A, you aren't actually in Enemy Zone A, but in Enemy Zone A+(populated by players of your own faction only).

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Lokero

Well, FPView is 'news' because everyone has been asking about it for a while, and, originally, it wasn't in the game.  The reason they are calling it news, is because they are finally confirming it exists.

I haven't been watching the development of this game super-closely, but it seemed, originally, that alot of the basic Elder Scrolls game systems were not going to be a part of the game.  Only, after much criticism and forum spamming, have alot of those systems suddenly been getting added.

When they started developing this game, they started out with WoW-style combat and no first person, etc.  It's like they've done a complete 180 on all these things(which is good), and so it's good 'news' that those things are making their appearance.

they never said it as WoW style combat i dont know where you got that from because in their gameplay video they said and showed that the combat is like the sp elder scrolls where you have to aim and everything. The dev in the video said right in the beginning of the video they wanted to create strategic real-time combat.

• JasonJJasonJ Member Posts: 395

The way it was presented in the article, it sounded to me like it will just be an instanced version of the other realm's zones with only your teammates populating it.

So if you are in Enemy Zone A, you aren't actually in Enemy Zone A, but in Enemy Zone A+(populated by players of your own faction only).

IF that is the case, it changes nothing about the closed off realms bit that pissed so many people off. Still boggles the mind they chose to bring back the one thing that only a couple other games had, all made by the same people on top of it. Its a design few players know about or even want.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

So, seems they've gone back on the only redeeming feature of the game, public dungeons. Yay everything is phased and instanced!11! Wuts an mmo dur?

Originally posted by tkreep

they never said it as WoW style combat i dont know where you got that from because in their gameplay video they said and showed that the combat is like the sp elder scrolls where you have to aim and everything. The dev in the video said right in the beginning of the video they wanted to create strategic real-time combat.

Allow me to re-phrase then.  I was using the phrase "WoW-style combat" as a generic term.  What I meant was that initially the game was supposed to be a tab-targetting affair, but they transitioned out of it(Whether that was a placeholder system or they heard all the griping on the internet and realized that wasn't going to work, I don't know).

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Good information :) sounds more like Elder Scrolls.
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Eluldor
    Good information :) sounds more like Elder Scrolls.

Sounds less like an MMO...which is much more important.

IF that is the case, it changes nothing about the closed off realms bit that pissed so many people off. Still boggles the mind they chose to bring back the one thing that only a couple other games had, all made by the same people on top of it. Its a design few players know about or even want.

Well, I'm just going by the way I interpreted that article.  It sounded to me like, after completing your storylines(in your own realm), some new phased version of those zones would become available with continuing quests(again, for your faction only).  Someone else may have more knowledge about how that works, I'm just trying to read between the lines.

At any rate, it all screams of phasing and segregation to me.  I don't think it means you are going to be running around with the opposing factions in their own zones.  So, really, I don't see it as anything having changed much.  Hopefully, there'll be some further detail explaining what they meant exactly.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    When I first started playing mmos namely eq1, I played first person, and quickly learned that you just can't keep track of mobs hitting you from the side and behind and a good percentage of what can agro near you, so I hope that third person is optional.  Otherwise I will probably pass on this game...oh yeah, and if there is a sub forget about it too.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

So, seems they've gone back on the only redeeming feature of the game, public dungeons. Yay everything is phased and instanced!11! Wuts an mmo dur?

There are still public dungeons though it's unclear if they are for groups or not.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Monstre0auSMonstre0auS Member Posts: 46

Well, I'm just going by the way I interpreted that article.  It sounded to me like, after completing your storylines(in your own realm), some new phased version of those zones would become available with continuing quests(again, for your faction only).  Someone else may have more knowledge about how that works, I'm just trying to read between the lines.

At any rate, it all screams of phasing and segregation to me.  I don't think it means you are going to be running around with the opposing factions in their own zones.  So, really, I don't see it as anything having changed much.  Hopefully, there'll be some further detail explaining what they meant exactly.

The thing I'm worried about, now that the forums have had their way and the world has 'opened up', is what content is in these new areas that remains true to the original design of the game? Great, I can be a Nord running around in the Aldmeri Dominion, but does that mean the Altmer are going to be buddy buddy with me and pay me to go do something for them, when my faction is tearing their's apart in Cyrodiil? I personally argued for the locked realms, simply because in a perpetual state of war, I didn't want to see my enemies brother waltzing through my lands as I wrung my enemies neck.

But if my guild and I get instanced into another factions' lands, what's going to be in them? Is that faction going to be there, giving us things to do? I mentioned in one of the most heated debates on this matter that giving the pvp player base the ability to spy on the enemies would be a great way to resolve this issue, but is that whats being developed? The ability to influence the battle for Cyrodiil by invasion or subterfuge?

I will only feel comfortable with this development, if I can hear from a developer at ZoS that this was the way they intended the game to be since it's inception, and that it's not something they've tacked on last minute to appease a bunch of whingers who wanted 'full exploration'.

Otherwise, this new development makes me feel as though, if this game goes to sh!t because of this, we've only got ourselves to blame, and ZoS can turn around stating, 'We gave the playerbase what they wanted, and that was a big mistake'.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Sovrath

This just made my day!!!

Another new announcement came from the team about exploring the whole world of the game. For a while, it sounded like you could only explore the faction that you had joined at the beginning of the game. So the Ebonhearts would only explore Skyrim and so on. This has now been changed. Players who complete all of the PvE in their zone will now get the chance to unlock another zone at Level 50. Therefore, Ebonheart players can explore the content of the Daggerfall Covenant or the Aldmeri Dominion at Level 50. Once you make the choice the entire zone opens up to your character to explore. Matt did say that the loot you will get in the other zones will be really good, and after finishing the 2nd, you unlock the third. When you unlock the third zone that will give some of the best loot in the game.

Hm good good.

Note: I never understood why people liked First Person. In Elder Scrolls I never played first person, only in those narrow dungeon parts when I play a sniper. Otheriwse 90% of the time I prefer 3rd person, because I see SO MUCH MORE. First person always kinda feels like a tunnel view.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• SaintWalker44SaintWalker44 Member UncommonPosts: 80
    Also, the skill/combat animations..were they "solid"? When u cast a spell, did it "feel" powerful? Rifts combat animations at launch felt clunky and weak for instance..

I hate to go there but WoWs combat animations feel solid. And the sounds "fit"...a rogues sap sound feels right, so to speak..

How about the running animations? Are they clunky like Warhammers? Stiff?

Sorry bout all the questions, real excited about this game..

All Will Be Well.....