Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning: An Update on Mythic’s WAR

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by RelGn
    The game has to go free to play and ofcourse not like swtor.

i wish it would

EA owns Ultima Online, WAR and DAOC -- all 3 are still sub games

id like to revisit WAR but i dont think its worth a $15.00 monthly fee

• VolenibbletsVolenibblets Member UncommonPosts: 246
    Originally posted by neosparkk
    "Maturing nicely"? "Going great"?

Well he kind of has to say that really doesn't he, it's his job to be blindly optimistic and blubber the positives in a glass-half-full way. I particularly love the:

"KEAVEN: Overall, things are going great! I have always personally felt WAR was destined to be for the dedicated hardcore group we have now. I couldn’t be happier that we have such a close, and active, group of players."

It's like when only three people show up to your birthday party and you say ' no, really, you three are the only ones I wanted here, I didn't actually want any of the other twenty people I invited to come, I swear'. 

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Ulorik

Still the question remains unanswered: What do you play currently that fulfills your RvR / Open world PvP needs ?

Anyone?

Easy answer Eve.  If I had to pick a fantasy MMO, it would be Daoc instead of War.  If you have to wonder why, two faction pvp games always have population issues.

• UlorikUlorik Member UncommonPosts: 179

My problem with three faction RvR is that it tends to become meaningless.

What I mean by this is that one side in a PvP centred MMO should have a chance to WIN. If one side has the better players and better organisation they should be able, lets say over a time span of two to three weeks to fortify their advantage and then claim the big price, as for example in WAR to loot the enemy capital. In three faction RvR this imho often becomes meaningless as there is a neverending to-ing and fro-ing of relic capture, map flipping resource capture with the two weaker sides rolling back the stronger, rinse repeat, rinse repeat without any side being able to claim something as a WIN

Thats why I stopped WAR after they took the Fortress out, but if that in again now I might give it a try again in the hope to find a bit of strategic RvR.

• KuroiKuroi Member UncommonPosts: 29

I find WAR to be the best PvP MMO out there. DAoC will always be the champion to me due to realm pride and the 3 faction system. I wish E/A would advertise and get more people back into thte game, I find the lack of population to be the biggest issue.

• JasonJJasonJ Member Posts: 395

Still the question remains unanswered: What do you play currently that fulfills your RvR / Open world PvP needs ?

Anyone?

RvR was a bad idea all around and that is why few games made since DaoC wanted to copy it. So YOU liked it, the vast majority of MMORPG players could care less about it...history says its true, DaoC only had around 250k players while UO, EQ1 and SWG had far more and War was dwarfed by Lineage 2, GW1 and WoW, not to mention more than a few F2P games lol.

I would be surprised if even 5% of all MMORPG players have played a RvR game that funnels PvPers into a closed off section of the world. RvR is nothing more than Themepark PvP.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by JasonJ

Anyone?

RvR was a bad idea all around and that is why few games made since DaoC wanted to copy it. So YOU liked it, the vast majority of MMORPG players could care less about it...history says its true, DaoC only had around 250k players while UO, EQ1 and SWG had far more and War was dwarfed by Lineage 2, GW1 and WoW, not to mention more than a few F2P games lol.

I would be surprised if even 5% of all MMORPG players have played a RvR game that funnels PvPers into a closed off section of the world. RvR is nothing more than Themepark PvP.

Ah, I completely disagree with you, I found the pvp in DAoC much better than other pvp systems and there was nothing themepark about it at all.  WAR on the other hand did not do that.  One side was always better than the other, the major problem with two sided pvp.  

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

WAR was a Great idea and history with a decent design and horrid team that ruined its conception with each POS patch/update they released.... They failed more each time they claimed they were balancing. Hurt T3/4 keep raiding with their changes to let anyone basically bypass walls and defenses. List goes on.... Anyone need a raid full of BWs and a healer?

I will say this though beta and early life of the game was a lot of fun that I have not had in a while

To the person who asked what people are filling their time with for PvP and RvR sadly not much currently besides some  PS2. Did the Eve thing for quite a while also and a few of the DAOC public servers. Praying SBEmu gets up and running.

• DreycraftDreycraft Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Man how I wish this game had a solid player-base. Every now and then when I get in the mood to pop into WAR's world I just get depressed by what I see. The world itself is so awesome with so much potential, but it's an absolute ghost town. Yeah I know if you use the battle finder tool it never seems empty, but I just wish that it had enough players so you could pretty much step into any battlefield, in any tier, in any territory, at any time and find big battles going on. If you log in to this game and just wander around exploring the world without using the battle finder, you'll just be like, "damn, so much potential". But the player-base just isn't there and it's unfortunate, because as far as heavy PvP(or RvR as they call it) mmorpgs go, this is easily the best. I used to think they should go F2P and that might save the game, but they have so few players, if they went F2P for even a month, they'd probably implode and have to close the servers. If EA hadn't forced them to rush the game onto shelves, there's a good chance this never would have happened, but since when does EA ever make the right decision? Because of EA, I'd say almost a third of the game wasn't even there on release and was never implemented. One of this game's most impressive aspects were the massive capital cities, and the actual game only has 2, Altdorf(Empire) and The Inevitable City(Chaos). But there were supposed to be others, Karaz-a-Karak(Dwarfs), Karak Eight Peaks(Greenskins), Lothern(High Elves) and Fist of Malekith(Dark Elves) but were all cut. Anyone who has seen the two cities in-game and seen how massive they were, just imagine if there were 4 others. Damn you EA!

• JorendoJorendo Member UncommonPosts: 275
    Originally posted by Nidwin
    Originally posted by TheMorr

What is the big deal about so called new content? WAR is a PvP base game. That means new content revolves around character abilities, weapons, armor and skins (we do need to look good while dying), not pve content. No one really cares about PvE in WAR, it is not why we play it.

As for war dying; People have written it off since launch, it is still here. As long as people get to kill other players 24/7, 365 a year in multiple zones that are open to PvP 24/7 365 a year AND mutiple choice of scenarios/battlefronts that pop at an average of 8 min apart ... WAR will always be here.

There's no point discussing anything with them bro. They are GW2, Rift, WoW, DaoC, TERA, whatever gameplayers that can't even grasp the concept of no NPC's in the lakes. Imagine how horrible it is for them not having a Keep Lord to kill or keep guards.

War is far from perferct and we're the first, those hardcore fanboys, to admit it. But there's nothing else that even gets close to the PvP/RvR experience Warhammer online AoR has to offer.

I pre orderd the game back then. And even though the PvE was a huge let down, and so where many other aspects of the game (i mean who the hell writes a guide about how to RP in games, have a big mouth about how other MMO's don't really care about the RPer community, but doesn't even let you sit on chairs and had no option to sit down in any other way to begin with). But for what it lacked in almost all areas, it still gave me the best PvP experience i personally ever had.

When Warhammer was released i was playing Age of Conan back then, and left AoC for Warhammer. The PvP was just amazing, i never been a fast lvler but thanks to the pvp i gained some nice lvls with getting exp. I didn't care if it was one of those instanced pvp zones or open world pvp, it was all rather great. The battlegrounds (sorry i forgot the names they gave them) where fast passed PvP. I was a witch hunter and a friend of mine was a healer. A kick ass combination, going out of stealth, dealing massive damage and recieving heals all the time so i could take on tanks with ease. And that was only the instanced PvP. THe open world PvP was beyond awesome for me. I joined the MMORPG scene rather late myself (WoW was my first subscription based MMORPG cause before that we had piss poor internet at home). But i had a blast sieging castles or defend them, roam around the maps looking  for PvP. It was just amazing. Sadly after the first month the decline hit the game hard. And seeing i was a slow lvler i found myself being stuck in a tier with hardly anyone playing. The battlegrounds took forever to be filled. 45 - 60 minutes wheren't uncommen and world pvp was dead. There where no fights around the castles, no clashes between the warbands. Perhaps they where at the higher tiers but the lower tiers where rather doomed.

I tried to return a few years later but i never really got into it anymore. Once you have that great memory it is hard to get that experience again. Im glad to see some people still enjoy this game. It is a shame how things went for it, but the timing was rather poor. 2 or 3 months before Wrath of the Lich King...it was never a smart idea to release a MMO either shortly before or after a WoW expansion. Not saying that as a WoW fanboy as i was also a WoW player back then (and rather bored of it so i took my break into AoC and Warhammer) i did notice often that people would leave WoW for a while to play a new MMORPG but always massively returned when the expansions where released.

Hopefully we get a game like Warhammer again, but then also with a bit better PvE. I know you guys hate it. But for people like me who absolutely hate lvling it doesn't help when the PvE content is very crap and you need to be a higher lvl before you can return to your fun again. But no other MMORPG thus far has managed to give me the same PvP experience as Warhammer.

• A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842
    Write a somewhat positive article about an mmorpg - prepare for F2P beggars in thread.
  • MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268

The PvP in WAR Online is the most PvP fun I ever had in a MMORPG.

That being said, the technology just feels old today. Poor animations etc. kills the game.

I would pay if there were 50-100k subs. But I guess there's around 5-10.000 total

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361

I don't think I've ever seen so many whiners and complainers in one article that complain about things that has absolutly nothing too do with the article at all. It's no wonder why I never see any of the old users posting here anymore. Seriously you users complain so much about nonsense on this site they should just call it the BBBSFG.com baby bumping babysitting service for gamers.

Even gamespot has a better informed community of gamers who talk about relevant things, this one is just stupidly depressing.

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399

Wow...this interview was...well shocking.

Ive dipped into WAR on and off since the beta.  Launch was fantastic and T1 at launch might have been one of the most entertaining implimentations of themepark pvp.

However it quickly ended.  People left, T3 turned into base flipping and renown grind.  Classes were not balanced with a heavy advantage for ranged classes in the RvR standoffs.  Those standoffs that were fun in T1 quickly got boring btw.

Since like 2009, i swear not a damn thing has been done with this game other than tweaks.  They never put in all those other race mega cities, and i dont even think they changed endgame much...i remember it being an instanced mess where your battle didnt really matter all that much.

Anyway, i gave up on this game with my last dip into it.  It was dead, beyond dead.  Forums were all about the remaining hundred players with lots of goodbye posts.

To hear them talk about population like this, its crazy.  I dont think the game should be free it should be put to rest to make room for a real Warhammer mmo.  Thats my opinion.

At this point in WAR's life, the game should have been expanded significantly, with more pvp content as well as revamping the failed public quest system and the remainder of the games dull pve.  None of that has happend.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,848

Warhammer Online converting to Free to play is pretty much its only chance at survival but the game would also need additional changes to ensure its not just a one time bump.

Going Free to play would bring back a lot of old players but the unaltered game would scare away any new players. I mean, lets face it, leveling in Warhammer was awful.

So, drastically speed up leveling so new players can get to where the real action is.

Most of the PvP would be done through Scenarios but there are too many tiers. Segregating an already small player base is not a good idea.

So, have one level 1 to 39 Scenario tier for levelers. Also, do a much better job scaling and normalizing gear so people cant min max twink and become unkillable gods.

However, any major change would require some money and effort so it wont be happening. EA is content to let Warhammer Online slowly spiral its way down into darkness.

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ

The PvP in WAR Online is the most PvP fun I ever had in a MMORPG.

That being said, the technology just feels old today. Poor animations etc. kills the game.

I would pay if there were 50-100k subs. But I guess there's around 5-10.000 total

What difference does it make if there's 1 or 50 full servers? You only ever get to play on 1 server at a time.

Atm, both servers are very active in the evenings and on weekends.

Low population was also my biggest turn off for this game in the passed but not anymore.

• bugmenobugmeno Member Posts: 85
    Originally posted by BrownAle

Wow...this interview was...well shocking.

Ive dipped into WAR on and off since the beta.  Launch was fantastic and T1 at launch might have been one of the most entertaining implimentations of themepark pvp.

However it quickly ended.  People left, T3 turned into base flipping and renown grind.  Classes were not balanced with a heavy advantage for ranged classes in the RvR standoffs.  Those standoffs that were fun in T1 quickly got boring btw.

Since like 2009, i swear not a damn thing has been done with this game other than tweaks.  They never put in all those other race mega cities, and i dont even think they changed endgame much...i remember it being an instanced mess where your battle didnt really matter all that much.

Anyway, i gave up on this game with my last dip into it.  It was dead, beyond dead.  Forums were all about the remaining hundred players with lots of goodbye posts.

To hear them talk about population like this, its crazy.  I dont think the game should be free it should be put to rest to make room for a real Warhammer mmo.  Thats my opinion.

At this point in WAR's life, the game should have been expanded significantly, with more pvp content as well as revamping the failed public quest system and the remainder of the games dull pve.  None of that has happend.

This is pretty much what happened. Amazing potential, utterly squandered by incompetence and inactivity. Game died 3+ years ago. I keep coming back to see if anything changed, nothing. Go f2p or go home.

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by orbitxo

eveonline best pvpin space- warhammer best pvp on ground!

I would rather say that Eve is the best hardcore PvP MMO and WAR the one with best casual PvP as it really lacks the true epic "endgame" PvP with consequences which Eve has.

So with almost all casual MMOs; its lifespan is short as I loved WAR for 2-3 months but after I capped my character and engaged in some city raids, it kind of felt that there was nothing else left to do.

If they actually would add a proper PvP endgame to this game I would resub...

Lack of death penalty does not equate to casual. I you want to be competitve in WAR these days you need to reach at least level 80. This would take a casual player years to accompish, the grind is horribly long, slow and painful (also quite boring tbh).

No, sorry, WAR is definitely not aimed at casual MMO players. Not even close.

I think what you're trying to say is people who play WAR have no balls whereas people who play EvE (like yourself) are the shitz...

• HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839

When is f2p?! That is the only relevant question for me.  Population is at an all time low (my opinion).  A healthy population at all tiers is a must have for a game like WAR.   Just think it's absurd for them to keep plugging away with the "Everythings fine." sentiment while a few diehard fans are in denial about how bad the population is.  Really have a hard time understanding why they wouldn't of made the change by now.  A MMO like WAR should still have plenty of life left in it.  It just seems it gets worse and worse as time goes on. 

"Well we have talked about it." ect. That's the same line which they have been saying for sometime now.  Yet the population just gets worse and worse as time goes on.   If people are logging out or unsubbing because the population in whatever tier they are playing is low, it's an issue.

• MaxJacMaxJac Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by Hulluck

When is f2p?! That is the only relevant question for me.  Population is at an all time low (my opinion).  A healthy population at all tiers is a must have for a game like WAR.   Just think it's absurd for them to keep plugging away with the "Everythings fine." sentiment while a few diehard fans are in denial about how bad the population is.  Really have a hard time understanding why they wouldn't of made the change by now A MMO like WAR should still have plenty of life left in it.  It just seems it gets worse and worse as time goes on. 

"Well we have talked about it." ect. That's the same line which they have been saying for sometime now.  Yet the population just gets worse and worse as time goes on.   If people are logging out or unsubbing because the population in whatever tier they are playing is low, it's an issue.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Say it with a picture and the last poster did.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by JasonJ

Anyone?

+1 to that. I really do not like RvR or any kind of fixed-faction PvP for that matter. Not to mention, PvP does need to have some reason to do other than "they're the other faction". I think that's why I loved Lineage 2's PvP so much (don't care for EVE since it's Sci-Fi :p) and I hope to find it again in a future game...

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Pie_Rat
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by orbitxo

eveonline best pvpin space- warhammer best pvp on ground!

I would rather say that Eve is the best hardcore PvP MMO and WAR the one with best casual PvP as it really lacks the true epic "endgame" PvP with consequences which Eve has.

So with almost all casual MMOs; its lifespan is short as I loved WAR for 2-3 months but after I capped my character and engaged in some city raids, it kind of felt that there was nothing else left to do.

If they actually would add a proper PvP endgame to this game I would resub...

Lack of death penalty does not equate to casual. I you want to be competitve in WAR these days you need to reach at least level 80. This would take a casual player years to accompish, the grind is horribly long, slow and painful (also quite boring tbh).

No, sorry, WAR is definitely not aimed at casual MMO players. Not even close.

I think what you're trying to say is people who play WAR have no balls whereas people who play EvE (like yourself) are the shitz...

its actually not very difficult to get to 80ish RR nowadays. They have added tomes you can equip which do things like double your xp, double your renown, double your influence, and stop your xp gain. Along with that, there has been an event running the past couple of months (the Return to Ekrund event mentioned in the interview) which has as the 1st (Basic) reward a stone you can equip which gives you +25% WOunds, +25% Toughness, and an extra 50% XP & RR gain.

Combine the stone from the event and a double RR book and you can advance quite quickly compared to the past.

• deathgiantdeathgiant Member Posts: 32
    The article reminds me of Gods and Heroes devs.
  • TheMorrTheMorr Member Posts: 2

Love how all the QQers who dropped out of WAR because they couldnt hack the PvP say they would come back if it was F2P. PLease.... if paying a sub keeps riff raff like that out I will gladly pay it every month.

WAR is for fighting. Nothing more, nothing less.