Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Identity Crisis

Comments

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

Let us take up arms! Let the fields of Cyrodiil run red with the blood of our fallen enemies!

But let us spare the lives of a few, so that they may return to their homelands to tell their fellows the fate they met at the hands of the Daggerfall Covenant.

One land! One Emperor!

Who among you will stand with me?

... and which of you barstewards is going to stand above me as Emperor after I have made all these personal sacrifices to win!?

PLOT THAT MAKES SENSE?

Zenimax couldn't write one if you put a gun to their heads...

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by Caliburn101

Anakami.

Don'y take any notice of 'Captain America' - he doesn't seem to be able to post unless he's calling someone, somewhere 'stupid', or some variant of it...

Anyone claiming otherwise has fallen off the left hand side of the IQ bell-curve...

Pot, meet Kettle.

• AnakamiAnakami Member Posts: 103

@Caliburn101

This is exactly what I don't understand. You can argue mechanics all day long, but argueing about the "soul" of a game is pretty futile, because it will be different for everyone. What you can argue though is the assumption that most people who feel disppointed now have very similar expectations about what the "soul" of TES is. And imo the devs butchered that "soul" too much in order to establish their beloved PvP mechanics.

@Nanfoodle

While I agree with you on the history part, it still does not relate to what I have criticised about TESO. Even if I try to get around the fact that the setting they chose is some sort of Call of Duty: Ancient Warfare, I still cannot approve of the way they handled the alliances and the way you choose for which side you fight.

Originally posted by Nanfoodle

You look at the history of Earth. Countries that once heated eachother ally together laters in our history. Then we had world wars that changed everything and thats kinda whats going on in ESO. This MMO takes place a 1000 years outside the game of TES. Why would alliances be the same? History over a 1000 years will in many ways like our worlds history be very different over that large a time span. Stop thinking inside a box. 

No. According to the "logic" from those few long-winded Elder Scroll elitists, everyone must be allied at all times. Things like the British and the US being close allies today could never have happened, since there was a bloody, brutal war between the two a few centuries back.

There's also such a thing as suspension of disbelief, which let's normal folk buy in to an otherwise ludicrous tale for the sake of enjoyment.  It appears that the top rung of the true Elder Scroll fanbase no longer possess the capability of performing that simple mental trick.

Originally posted by rygard49

Anakami.

Don'y take any notice of 'Captain America' - he doesn't seem to be able to post unless he's calling someone, somewhere 'stupid', or some variant of it...

Anyone claiming otherwise has fallen off the left hand side of the IQ bell-curve...

Pot, meet Kettle.

There's a world of difference between a hypothetical someone and an actual someone rygard49 - but 'nice try' taking my last line out of context by removing the preceding text...

... I see you are a student of the 'change the previous post to suit my response' school of internet discourse...

In fact I think that school should have a name - something like the 'Reconceivers' or the 'Insequent', .... maybe the 'Surrogates'...

... hmm I'll have to think on it...

You look at the history of Earth. Countries that once heated eachother ally together laters in our history. Then we had world wars that changed everything and thats kinda whats going on in ESO. This MMO takes place a 1000 years outside the game of TES. Why would alliances be the same? History over a 1000 years will in many ways like our worlds history be very different over that large a time span. Stop thinking inside a box. 

No. According to the "logic" from those few long-winded Elder Scroll elitists, everyone must be allied at all times. Things like the British and the US being close allies today could never have happened, since there was a bloody, brutal war between the two a few centuries back.

There's also such a thing as suspension of disbelief, which let's normal folk buy in to an otherwise ludicrous tale for the sake of enjoyment.  It appears that the top rung of the true Elder Scroll fanbase no longer possess the capability of performing that simple mental trick.

Unlike of course the simple mental trick you are using to make your point...

There is as you probably well know, a natural limit to suspension of disbelief (SOB) - or we could all happily accept Pacman standing in for the Hulk in Avenger's Assemble...

... and the more one establishes a particular way of representing something, the more it becomes familiar and the less room there is for effective SOB.

You see - 'long winded' "logic" trumps 'half cocked' "dogma" any day...

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Anakami.

Pot, meet Kettle.

There's a world of difference between a hypothetical someone and an actual someone rygard49 - but 'nice try' taking my last line out of context by removing the preceding text...

... I see you are a student of the 'change the previous post to suit my response' school of internet discourse...

In fact I think that school should have a name - something like the 'Reconceivers' or the 'Insequent', .... maybe the 'Surrogates'...

No he was right, you were being a pot. We could dig and quote many of your posts. If people dont agree with you, you are very quick to insult. Not upset about it, insult me all you like I dont care but the facts are all over this forum. Not sure why you think otherwise.

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

This game feels like its really being forced.

For me this currently is nothing more but an attempt at milking out this name for cash.

There is as you probably well know, a natural limit to suspension of disbelief (SOB) - or we could all happily accept Pacman standing in for the Hulk in Avenger's Assemble...

... and the more one establishes a particular way of representing something, the more it becomes familiar and the less room there is for effective SOB.

Art should mimic life, so like alliances changing in RL, so should they in the game. This is not breaking lore its growing it. Where would Star Wars be witout the expanded universe. The books and adding to the lore and story have added a depth that the fans love. There are times in the lore where Jedi and Sith have joined forces. Times in the lore where there were only a handfull of jedi out numbered by the sith and the other way around. Do you really want the same cookie cutter lore/story? Walking into the game knowing everything about this time in TES history? What fun would that be? Not much IMO. Growing and adding to the lore/story is needed to keep the game alive. Where there is no growth death is quick to take over.

No. You threw out a blanket statement that ANYONE who says something different than you lacks a sufficient IQ. You've actually gone beyond calling just one person stupid, you're now calling everyone who disagrees with you stupid. That's not a hypothetical someone.

Your preceding text had nothing to do with point I was making, that you were being a hypocrite, therefore it was removed. I had honestly hoped you would have gotten that, seeing as the entire rest of your post was irrelevant to that point. In the future I'll leave your full posts intact and will go to an old standby I've seen others use... color coding!

Originally posted by Onigod

This game feels like its really being forced.

For me this currently is nothing more but an attempt at milking out this name for cash.

Ok, lets chuck out just the ability to go anywhere and have any race join any faction. Whats missing that makes this not a TES game? Because it takes more then the two options I just listed to make a TES game. Really whats missing?

No. You threw out a blanket statement that ANYONE who says something different than you lacks a sufficient IQ. You've actually gone beyond calling just one person stupid, you're now calling everyone who disagrees with you stupid. That's not a hypothetical someone.

Your preceding text had nothing to do with point I was making, that you were being a hypocrite, therefore it was removed. I had honestly hoped you would have gotten that, seeing as the entire rest of your post was irrelevant to that point. In the future I'll leave your full posts intact and will go to an old standby I've seen others use... color coding!

You look good in green =-)

Well exaggeration is certainly something you pocess no shortage of. We're not talking about a large leap of faith (get it?) in terms of accepting the lore. They're not putting the Enterprise and the Federation Starfleet up as a fourth faction.

The only dogmatic statements in this forum belong to the members of the Church of True ES.

Hm, while the news about being able to explore the other zones at 50 is a step in the right direction, it still changes nothing about the main issues I have with their interpretation of TES. It is also the simplicity of their concept, not in a good way though. What they could have done with a bit more creativity, a bit more appreciation to the lore...

Factions that fight each other because they want to claim some of Molag Baals power for themselves or use daedric artifacts.

Factions that welcome all and everyone willing to fight for them and agreeing with their ideals. Come to think of it, how are they going to explain the Fighter's Guild and all the other universal guilds having members of all three major alliances? Are the guild meetings going to be one big bloodbath?

There is so much immersion breaking stuff in here that the Suspension of Disbelief just cannot handle all of it. One of the worst offenders here is the inability to talk/understand people from the other Alliances. Never, ever, was it a problem in a PvP environment if you could talk to membersof the opposing faction.

You got more flaming and grief from people of your own faction usually :D

I am not too surprised though. Judging from their website and the description and the lore there, it is very obvious that PvP came first and TES a very distant second, if at all.

The saddest part is this: they could have had all their PvP and MMO mechanics and still integrate it harmoniously with the established TES setting without killing its "soul". They just chose not to bother themselves too much with it and went the lazy path of convenience.

Originally posted by Anakami

Hm, while the news about being able to explore the other zones at 50 is a step in the right direction, it still changes nothing about the main issues I have with their interpretation of TES. It is also the simplicity of their concept, not in a good way though. What they could have done with a bit more creativity, a bit more appreciation to the lore...

Factions that fight each other because they want to claim some of Molag Baals power for themselves or use daedric artifacts.

Factions that welcome all and everyone willing to fight for them and agreeing with their ideals. Come to think of it, how are they going to explain the Fighter's Guild and all the other universal guilds having members of all three major alliances? Are the guild meetings going to be one big bloodbath?

There is so much immersion breaking stuff in here that the Suspension of Disbelief just cannot handle all of it. One of the worst offenders here is the inability to talk/understand people from the other Alliances. Never, ever, was it a problem in a PvP environment if you could talk to membersof the opposing faction.

I am not too surprised though. Judging from their website and the description and the lore there, it is very obvious that PvP came first and TES a very distant second, if at all.

The saddest part is this: they could have had all their PvP and MMO mechanics and still integrate it harmoniously with the established TES setting without killing its "soul". They just chose not to bother themselves too much with it and went the lazy path of convenience.

The 3 faction war is just one part of the game. They have some really awesome PvE plans. DAoC did not just have awesome PvP, the 3 factions had some of the best PvE I have played. Locked faction maps does not mean bad PvE or story. 

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    @Anakami You cannot kill what it does not have.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

The 3 faction war is just one part of the game. They have some really awesome PvE plans. DAoC did not just have awesome PvP, the 3 factions had some of the best PvE I have played. Locked faction maps does not mean bad PvE or story.

Originally posted by jimdandy26

@Nanfoodle Maybe I have not made entirely clear what my issue is with the game, because you keep coming up with examples where we actually agree on. So let me try to put it as obvious as I can: My biggest gripe with their design decisions lies entirely in the way they set up their 3 alliance war. How they chose to group up the different races and for what reasons. The feeling of perpetual war, of fostering hatred towards the other cultures in Tamriel so that you can feel some pride in your own faction.

Or to make it even shorter: They decided to insert an AvA all out war setting into TES. Imo it does not fit a TES game.

@jimdandy26

Well, that's a very subjective thing after all, isn't it? I will argue though that the quality of writing and the general depth of the TES games have suffered since Morrowind. It still has a soul for me, a general feeling that only belongs to Tamriel.

@Nanfoodle Maybe I have not made entirely clear what my issue is with the game, because you keep coming up with examples where we actually agree on. So let me try to put it as obvious as I can: My biggest gripe with their design decisions lies entirely in the way they set up their 3 alliance war. How they chose to group up the different races and for what reasons. The feeling of perpetual war, of fostering hatred towards the other cultures in Tamriel so that you can feel some pride in your own faction.

Or to make it even shorter: They decided to insert an AvA all out war setting into TES. Imo it does not fit a TES game.

@jimdandy26

Well, that's a very subjective thing after all, isn't it? I will argue though that the quality of writing and the general depth of the TES games have suffered since Morrowind. It still has a soul for me, a general feeling that only belongs to Tamriel.

I got that, as I said directed to that, 1000 years of history a lot can happen. Some like you keep saying it does not fit the lore but thats short sighted. Maybe your right and the lore and story writen for this time in the TES history will be really badly done but maybe it will add depth that will add greatly to TES lore. As it stands now, its not outside the norm of how RL history works.  Alliances change and thats a fact. Its a little early to call it yet.

@jimdandy26

But it is not subjective. You are trying to hide "what I like about Tes" behind some absurd idea in order to garner sympathy for what you want. Just as I have said throughout the forum, are you really going to lament on about the "soul" of Final Fantasy? Mario? Star Wars? Star Trek? *Insert beloved Ip here*? These things do not have souls. And coperations are not people.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

What if war broke out and due to the geography 3 loose alliances were formed? Why is it so hard for the Guardians of the Pure TES Lore to imagine possibilities? Don't you think that wars are sufficiently important to overtake concerns about trivial selfish pursuits and become the predominant social obsession?

No amount of melodramatic phrasing like "...TES a very distant second, if at all" changes the reality that the non-fundamentalist TES fans (i.e., everyone else in this forum except for a self-congratulatory ostentatious handful) all see. Namely, this is very much a TES game set in an environment where a a 3-way war has broken out.

Killing its soul...please. It really takes very little imagination to accomodate this new twist on the TES story into the lore.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Hey, I am all for artistic freedom and experimenting with new things that can add to existing lore. It's just that with a setting like this we are straying very far from what we have come to expect from a TES setting. So far, in fact, that it might have breached a point where it is too unfimiliar, too alien to still evoke a sense of "This is Tamriel".

To give an example: I have some issues imagining a Tamriel where the only races I am going to see and interact with is limited to 3 in total. I mean, that's like playing a Skyrim where there are only Nords, Argonians and Dunmer. No Khajiit caravans, no Bosmer shop keepers, no Orcish strongholds or Redguard travelers. What I am getting at is that I will miss the cultural diversity which is imo one of the strong points of the TES franchise. You can't have that in a setting like they chose for TESO.

And, again imo, it was totally unnecessary to do so. They could have made their 3 faction RVR but have the PvE part of the world, which is kinda everything except Cyrodiil, open and filled with different sorts of conflict. Why does it have to be race specific?

I wouldn't have such an issue with their PvP design if it wouldn't affect so many areas of the game world that it is increasingly becoming too far removed from the Tamriel I know and appreciate. As I said, artistic freedom is great, adding new stuff to the lore is also a great thing, but there needs to be a threshold you don't cross.

@Iselin

Killing its soul...please. It really takes very little imagination to accomodate this new twist on the TES story into the lore.

It also takes very little imagination to come up with a lore explanation that doesn't restrict the game in so many ways ;)

@jimdandy26

But it is not subjective. You are trying to hide "what I like about Tes" behind some absurd idea in order to garner sympathy for what you want. Just as I have said throughout the forum, are you really going to lament on about the "soul" of Final Fantasy? Mario? Star Wars? Star Trek? *Insert beloved Ip here*? These things do not have souls. And coperations are not people.

Many of the stories Jimdandy26 listed are also stories that have expanded on their simple launching off points. What if every Marior games only had him fixing pipes, or saving his girlfriend Peach? What if Star Wars had stuck with most of the Jedi being wiped out or that the force was the most powerful power in the universe? We as fans would have missed out on so much. Video games need to grow and become more then their roots if they want to keep making new games. The changes in ESO are not so far from the founding lore that its odd like the federation from star trek is the 4th faction.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Hey, I am all for artistic freedom and experimenting with new things that can add to existing lore. It's just that with a setting like this we are straying very far from what we have come to expect from a TES setting. So far, in fact, that it might have breached a point where it is too unfimiliar, too alien to still evoke a sense of "This is Tamriel".

To give an example: I have some issues imagining a Tamriel where the only races I am going to see and interact with is limited to 3 in total. I mean, that's like playing a Skyrim where there are only Nords, Argonians and Dunmer. No Khajiit caravans, no Bosmer shop keepers, no Orcish strongholds or Redguard travelers. What I am getting at is that I will miss the cultural diversity which is imo one of the strong points of the TES franchise. You can't have that in a setting like they chose for TESO.

And, again imo, it was totally unnecessary to do so. They could have made their 3 faction RVR but have the PvE part of the world, which is kinda everything except Cyrodiil, open and filled with different sorts of conflict. Why does it have to be race specific?

I wouldn't have such an issue with their PvP design if it wouldn't affect so many areas of the game world that it is increasingly becoming too far removed from the Tamriel I know and appreciate. As I said, artistic freedom is great, adding new stuff to the lore is also a great thing, but there needs to be a threshold you don't cross.

@Iselin

It also takes very little imagination to come up with a lore explanation that doesn't restrict the game in so many ways ;)

Such as? Which are the holy TES thresholds?

All I hear is the same "I can't go everywhere with anyone" whine repeated in new ways here daily. There's nothing holy about that... it's a feature that has existed--within reason, the single player areas have all been pretty tiny compared to the MMO world-- in the single player franchise known as TES. Now a multi-player version is being developed for the first time and it differs from the single player version. Which heretical threshold crossing exactly did they engage in? 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

@jimdandy26

Hm, first of all: I do not hide anything. I have made very clear what I think about TESO and what I like or do not like. And there is no hidden agenda here except that I wish to express my disappointment with some of the design choices they made.

And about the soul of a game...what I mean by that is the things I associate with a game world and also the things that give me the most enjoyment when playing these games. It is by its very nature subjective because it all depends on me and my perception.

Unless you want to tell me that my personal perception is wrong and only yours is right :D

Such as? Which are the holy TES thresholds?

I already have tried to explain it a few times,but let me do it once more: cultural diversity which also makes a game world more lively and more interesting. Can't have that in a rigid 3 races each faction setup.

But lore takes a back seat to mechanics (and should!) as you so clearly accepted with the numerous mindblowing inconsistancies within the games and the universe itself.