Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Elder Scrolls Online: First-Person, Exploring, and the Nightblade

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Last week, members of our team were on hand with Zenimax developers to get a first hand look at several features in the forthcoming Elder Scrolls Online. Next we give our readers a firsthand look at a trio of newly announced features. Find out more about what they are and then head to the comments to discuss!

This past week down at the ZeniMax Online Studios we got to play a lot of Elder Scrolls Online, the entire opening zone of the Daggerfall Covenant to be exact. The game played great but there are some new features and a definite mindset that the team was very happy to talk about. This is all previously undisclosed information, so no delays: let’s talk about the new features first.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's Elder Scrolls Online: First-Person, Exploring, and the Nightblade.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

Sound good so far!

Can't wait to test the beta,if i get a key :P

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

for me,

first person option is helpful for "world immersion" - im glad its being supported

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

"Unlocking zones" will definately limit the the idea that this is a 'world'. It was one of the main complaints about Arcania (Gothic 4).

Might work well in practice but first impression of that isn't good. Even if we would get mauled by the mobs there, we should still be able to go there.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

This just made my day!!!

Another new announcement came from the team about exploring the whole world of the game. For a while, it sounded like you could only explore the faction that you had joined at the beginning of the game. So the Ebonhearts would only explore Skyrim and so on. This has now been changed. Players who complete all of the PvE in their zone will now get the chance to unlock another zone at Level 50. Therefore, Ebonheart players can explore the content of the Daggerfall Covenant or the Aldmeri Dominion at Level 50. Once you make the choice the entire zone opens up to your character to explore. Matt did say that the loot you will get in the other zones will be really good, and after finishing the 2nd, you unlock the third. When you unlock the third zone that will give some of the best loot in the game.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • shadowofnoshadowofno Member Posts: 2
    love everything about this game. the one problem iv got is waiting for it to launch
  • black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 256

Sounds amazing. Really liked what they did with the zone progression. In classic open world yes you can travel anywhere but there's not much you can do except ganking the other faction, with this approach we'll be able to adventure meaningfully all around the continent. They'll probably pull off first-person well too it seems. Sixteen dungeons at launch with lvl 50 versions is a lot of content so that's nice. I hope they can add in Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild fast because i'm considering to wait after launch until they add in those and meanwhile observe their post launch strategy (but i'm not sure i can do that, i'll probably just jump right in lol). And the trinity, i much prefer this approach over completely destroying it.

Business model will be a huge factor though. B2P would be very fine since it brings a cash return from box sales and that leads to a better cash shop and since there's no sub, better player retention after first month. Imo, win=win.

• hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465

Does this still strike you all (or article writer) as a game that is going to release in 2013? I get worried when people say they feel/speculate/believe the game will get delayed or modestly pushed back into 2014. I know the date isnt set in stone, but they have said multiple times that they want to release the game this year 100%.

So I guess long story short, from what youve seen of the game and talking with them, does this still strike you as a game that will release this year? The wait is already hard!

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

well at least they do have a first person view. i guess even the original TES had the option to go 3rd person if you wanted.....

...now they better NOT have stupid lock on tab targeting....

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Game sounds like it's progressing nicely, and it definitely is sounding better and better with every new bit of information.
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    So with the zone unlocking, is that a separate version of the other faction's zones or is it the same version members of that opposing faction are in? If the latter, will it be open PvP, PvP flagged, or no PvP?

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

First person and full world exploration?

Well this game might have some hope after all...

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    I hope first person isn't just slapped on, since it seems pretty clear the game was originally developed with third person in mind
  • hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465

Alpha testing had the typical Elder Scrolls first person, but then they took it out.

There is a lot of random debate -- If youre playing with people who are obsessed with first person and refuse/dont like to not use it, they might be ruining your pvp/raiding pve experience because plain and simple you just cant do pvp and group pve in 1st person because you need to see all around you and your environment.

Maybe they were trying to make 1st person less appealing? I thought I also read animations were going to be more advanced so it'd be harder to get it all with the hand and sword type look, but hey, it looks like theyre going back and making the hardcore TES fans happy which is nice.

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by hMJem

Alpha testing had the typical Elder Scrolls first person, but then they took it out.

There is a lot of random debate -- If youre playing with people who are obsessed with first person and refuse/dont like to not use it, they might be ruining your pvp/raiding pve experience because plain and simple you just cant do pvp and group pve in 1st person because you need to see all around you and your environment.

Maybe they were trying to make 1st person less appealing? I thought I also read animations were going to be more advanced so it'd be harder to get it all with the hand and sword type look, but hey, it looks like theyre going back and making the hardcore TES fans happy which is nice.

First person with arms etc wasnt in the alpha version, jesse cox (the guy that this rumour stemmed from) has since said he was mistaken when he said first person "just like skyrim", also the other people that were at the same event had confirmed no arms etc

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    But is First Person with arms and weapons in the game or is it just FPV with no arms?

EDIT IN:  I did just read in another article that arms and weapons will be included.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by meddyck
    So with the zone unlocking, is that a separate version of the other faction's zones or is it the same version members of that opposing faction are in? If the latter, will it be open PvP, PvP flagged, or no PvP?

That depends on you.  With the mega-server, you'll set your playstyle preferences, and in each zone you travel too be matched up with like-minder players.  Want open pvp? Select it as a preference and you're there.  Not so much? No worries, you can carebear it up.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

This is honestly sounding better and better.

A few of my biggest fears about this game have been eased today.

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by BadSpock

lol, it's certianly sounding a lot more like a TES spin-off rather than a DAoC knock-off.  I am still leary though...

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    Originally posted by Sovrath

This just made my day!!!

Another new announcement came from the team about exploring the whole world of the game. For a while, it sounded like you could only explore the faction that you had joined at the beginning of the game. So the Ebonhearts would only explore Skyrim and so on. This has now been changed. Players who complete all of the PvE in their zone will now get the chance to unlock another zone at Level 50. Therefore, Ebonheart players can explore the content of the Daggerfall Covenant or the Aldmeri Dominion at Level 50. Once you make the choice the entire zone opens up to your character to explore. Matt did say that the loot you will get in the other zones will be really good, and after finishing the 2nd, you unlock the third. When you unlock the third zone that will give some of the best loot in the game.

Same!  I'm so relieved to hear this. 

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Originally posted by meddyck

That depends on you.  With the mega-server, you'll set your playstyle preferences, and in each zone you travel too be matched up with like-minder players.  Want open pvp? Select it as a preference and you're there.  Not so much? No worries, you can carebear it up.

Did I read this correctly?  Not only did they lift zone restrictions but I can pvp in other faction zones too?  Either I'm dreaming or the ESO devs are paying attention. 

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by sapphen
    Originally posted by BadSpock

lol, it's certianly sounding a lot more like a TES spin-off rather than a DAoC knock-off.  I am still leary though...

Um yeah it is sounding more and more like TES online rather than DAOC 2 with an ES Skin.

• DJMantissDJMantiss Member Posts: 100
    Very excited about this and happy that the news coming out is both detailed and concise. Makes you really want this to become the next great MMO for all of the Elder Scrolls fans. (^_^)
  • GiffenGiffen Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper

well at least they do have a first person view. i guess even the original TES had the option to go 3rd person if you wanted.....

...now they better NOT have stupid lock on tab targeting....

I'm not sure how you do third person without tab targeting...you aren't going to be able to aim very well in third person IMHO.

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622

Players who complete all of the PvE in their zone will now get the chance to unlock another zone at Level 50. Therefore, Ebonheart players can explore the content of the Daggerfall Covenant or the Aldmeri Dominion at Level 50. Once you make the choice the entire zone opens up to your character to explore. Matt did say that the loot you will get in the other zones will be really good, and after finishing the 2nd, you unlock the third. When you unlock the third zone that will give some of the best loot in the game.

This is VERY welcome news! Their previous position was a complete turn off for me, but this, wow love it!

• pb1285npb1285n Member Posts: 505
    So, after saying first person view would never happened it looks like we're getting it.

Also you can explore the entire world. What will you bitch about now?