Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WHO said it couldn't be done?

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/03/19/the-elder-scrolls-online-interview-paul-sage/

Read it and amaze yourselves doomsayers...

Who knows - you might even be moved enough to say you were wrong..?

... I doubt it of course - but it would be nice to prove me wrong eh!? :)

Fantastic - looks like Zenimax have ears after all. There is a rumour of a delay to launch until March 2014 - perhaps t make the necessary changes?... but that doesn't matter either way.

The TES fans get to eventually explore everywhere with one toon at level 50 and the PvP fans get their unsullied 3-way goodness and they sit next to each other without a problem...

... I couldn't be more satisifed about the content of this interview.

Comments

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Caliburn101
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/03/19/the-elder-scrolls-online-interview-paul-sage/Read it and amaze yourselves doomsayers...Who knows - you might even be moved enough to say you were wrong..?... I doubt it of course - but it would be nice to prove me wrong eh!? :)Fantastic - looks like Zenimax have ears after all. There is a rumour of a delay to launch until March 2014 - perhaps t make the necessary changes?... but that doesn't matter either way.The TES fans get to eventually explore everywhere with one toon at level 50 and the PvP fans get their unsullied 3-way goodness and they sit next to each other without a problem...... I couldn't be more satisifed about the content of this interview.

"Gods be praised"

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    It's also a news feature on this site, along with news on crafting and a new class.

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368

Its great that they have given players the ability to explore the whole of Tamriel at 50. Though Im not thrilled they used character level as a "key", it still allows for  world exploration.

HOWEVER, I am now reading that there is a "lock out" in the opposite direction. That once you "out-level" an area you cant go back. So no hanging around the Starter Areas dancing with the noobs.

Whats the point of that mechanic? I know old areas become useless and redundant once you out-level them (its one reason I dont like level based games), but to lock you out completely?

This means that you as a player are only allowed access to that small amount of content with-in your specific level range at the time. Cant go forward until you unlock it and cant go back because of another lock.

This is just the epitome of directed, funneled and L I N E A R Themepark gameplay.

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs

Its great that they have given players the ability to explore the whole of Tamriel at 50. Though Im not thrilled they used character level as a "key", it still allows for  world exploration.

HOWEVER, I am now reading that there is a "lock out" in the opposite direction. That once you "out-level" an area you cant go back. So no hanging around the Starter Areas dancing with the noobs.

Whats the point of that mechanic? I know old areas become useless and redundant once you out-level them (its one reason I dont like level based games), but to lock you out completely?

This means that you as a player are only allowed access to that small amount of content with-in your specific level range at the time. Cant go forward until you unlock it and cant go back because of another lock.

This is just the epitome of directed, funneled and L I N E A R Themepark gameplay.

yeah no way to go back and help a new friend , u must create a new char if u want to show him the ropes of the game....thats frustrating

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

Hmmm - are you sure that's right?

They said there is a lvl 50 dungeon in each of the 16 zones throughout Tamriel... which would preclude a lowbie zone lockout...

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by Caliburn101

Hmmm - are you sure that's right?

They said there is a lvl 50 dungeon in each of the 16 zones throughout Tamriel... which would preclude a lowbie zone lockout...

I think the IGN guy missunderstood something.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

I don't think that's correct:

The new zones are set up to play with level 50+ content. So it does present some great challenges to a player. Matt also explained that you can go back to zones very easily with the Wayshrines on the map. They definitely made travel quick and easy in the game. So once you have explored an area, being able to return and move around will go much quicker.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

How do you figure this is great news?  You can't explore until 50. I assume you will be flaged for pvp.  It sounds like you can't play or even talk to your other faction friends until 50.  What's the point of exploring when all the mobs will be grey? or If zones are being locked then how much exploring will a 50 even be able to do?

The system is still a bad idea. This concession doesn't do much to address it.

• AnakamiAnakami Member Posts: 103
    Originally posted by Skuall

yeah no way to go back and help a new friend , u must create a new char if u want to show him the ropes of the game....thats frustrating

Ok, what I would like to know here: let's take for example the much anticipated featuring of the Khajiit homeland, Elseweyr. Wll it be a simple leveling zone ranging from lets say 20-30, that you can never revisit after that? That would completely kill any intention of playing this game for me. I was planning to do a fair bit of RP and just hanging out int he region of my race's homeland, but if that is going to be locked once I reach a certain level, then that's pretty much fail.

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813
    Great news!!! Crafting looks great also, I hope this has a decent launch and makes most of us fans happy.
    Originally posted by Ryowulf

How do you figure this is great news?  You can't explore until 50. I assume you will be flaged for pvp.  It sounds like you can't play or even talk to your other faction friends until 50.  What's the point of exploring when all the mobs will be grey? or If zones are being locked then how much exploring will a 50 even be able to do?

Well, it's a concession and sometimes concessions have to be made. Doesn't always have to be all or nothing.

"grey" mobs are really only an issue if one is concerned with always leveling. From a role play point it's not that big a deal, especially if there is 50+ content available to the player.

I'm not sure about he pvp, I wouldn't mind being flagged for pvp but I can understand that's an issue.

IF it's not addressed by Friday I will ask as I'm going to PAX and I plan to be visitnig the TESO booth a lot.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• LanceCLanceC Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Still doesn't feel anything like an Elder Scrolls game.
  • SoMuchMassSoMuchMass Member Posts: 548
    That is amazing news and fixes most of the "faction locked" issues players had.  People will still want to complain about something so the "until 50" issue will come up.  But I love it.
  • CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368
    Originally posted by Anakami
    Originally posted by Skuall

Ok, what I would like to know here: let's take for example the much anticipated featuring of the Khajiit homeland, Elseweyr. Wll it be a simple leveling zone ranging from lets say 20-30, that you can never revisit after that? That would completely kill any intention of playing this game for me. I was planning to do a fair bit of RP and just hanging out int he region of my race's homeland, but if that is going to be locked once I reach a certain level, then that's pretty much fail.

Ok. My appologies. I read about a "lower level lock" from another poster and when I read the article I glossed over what was actually said and assumed.

My fault.

What the IGN reviewer said was- "Most heartbreaking of all, you can't revisit low level zones and still find a challenge even at the highest levels."

I misread that. He meant that when going back to a lower level area there wont be anything challenging for a level 50 player. Much like other games.

So there is no "Backwards lock-out"

I am still sceptical about ESO, but they are making some interesting progress.

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    I respect the fact that they made another way to explore other zones but I'm still not entirely sure on this game yet.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

There was this quote which I found curious

"In ESO, you choose one of three alliances, each with different zones, quests, and stories to explore. Once you hit level 50, you can choose to journey to another alliance's territory and experience a more difficult (and rewarding) version of those areas. After you complete the story within in the second alliance, you can travel to the third faction and complete the content there"

While you will be exploring the other faction zones, it sounds like you'll be in a special shard that is reserved for level 50 only, and contains totally different and upgraded content for them to enjoy. 

Doesn't appear you'll be rubbing elbows with the other lower level players of that faction, and only run into the level 50's for that zone and will be permitted to group with them in this special instance, and not fight anywhere but the PVP zone.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LanceCLanceC Member UncommonPosts: 55
    I honestly don't know how they are getting it so wrong. It's a wonder how any of TES games had any similarities with how off cue this one sounds.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Looking forward to hearing how this will work.
  • jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Its never been a question of "if" but merely "at what cost". This particular one will be very high.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    I don't care until they add houses to the game
  • David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813
    Originally posted by Kyleran

There was this quote which I found curious

"In ESO, you choose one of three alliances, each with different zones, quests, and stories to explore. Once you hit level 50, you can choose to journey to another alliance's territory and experience a more difficult (and rewarding) version of those areas. After you complete the story within in the second alliance, you can travel to the third faction and complete the content there"

While you will be exploring the other faction zones, it sounds like you'll be in a special shard that is reserved for level 50 only, and contains totally different and upgraded content for them to enjoy. 

Doesn't appear you'll be rubbing elbows with the other lower level players of that faction, and only run into the level 50's for that zone and will be permitted to group with them in this special instance, and not fight anywhere but the PVP zone.

This makes sense, no more 50's ruining low level content by slaughting everything in sight.

Originally posted by Sovrath

found this in one of the articles...

Zones and encounters are buffed to 50 and loot updated accordingly.

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527

found this in one of the articles...

Zones and encounters are buffed to 50 and loot updated accordingly.

If you look critically amongst them there is some conflicting information. 4 hours, with different reviewers looking for and wanting different things makes that an inevitability. I will not be judging until I can get hands on.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Originally posted by jimdandy26
    Its never been a question of "if" but merely "at what cost". This particular one will be very high.

If they are in their own shard and not killing people questing and the story is not outside the lore of the game. I will be ok with it. I just hope its not another PvP mechanic as that would take away the focus of PvP on the AvA map and IMO that would be a huge mistake. Really need more into. Hope PAX brings that info.

EDIT: WOOT POST 1000!!!!

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Pretty hilarious considering the other thread where you brought forth a very similar idea and the fanboys blasted you for it.

I'm just glad the considered this as an option at all. Perhaps they really are going to listen to those people that feel like their vision has been far too restrictive at this point.