Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for an MMO I could grind forever that is F2P and forces either co-op or PvP.

tornmandatetornmandate Member UncommonPosts: 17

The title pretty much sums it up. But let me explain those three things further.

1. Progression - This is the most important thing for me. I want to able to progress further, get more equipment, skills, or whatever in the game for as long as I desire. Now, that of course requires the game to be grindable. But not just any kind of grind is okay. I need constant progress.
    • For example, I'm already at the endgame. But my armor and weapon could still be better.
    • Good: I need to gather money and rare materials to craft/improve my equipement.
    • Bad: I need to kill a single type of monster over and over again until I find that piece of equipment.
    • Why? In the bad example there is not progress. I either have that equipment piece or I don't. After 10000 kills I have no bigger chance of getting that item the next kill than I did at the first kill. Rather, materials should be difficult to earn. Maybe I have to defeat something 10 times to get a material and I need 100 of that, and then 10 other materials like that. This way I'm constantly getting closer to my goal.
    • A good example of this is my most played game, Spiral Knights. Even after 1000 hours I'm still collecting money and heat for gear and trying to get good unique variants on them. I'll never get everything I want, but I'm getting closer every day I play.
  2. Free to Play - Okay, well, I'd be willing to make a one-time payment if the game absolutely stuns me with its possibilites, but any games requiring a subscription are out of the question. I wouldn't want the game to be too P2W either. Having things like xp boosts or mounts or teleportation for quicker travel, or things that speed up your progression in the game is kinda okay. But paying to unlock certain areas or to get a weapon or stat/skill boosts... I really wouldn't like that.
  3. Forced player-player interaction - This is the reason I play MMOs. If I wanted to run through solo everywhere, with other people there only for chatting, I'd currently be sitting on Kongregate playing a TD game or something while chatting to my good buddies about whatever in the chatbox next to the game. Instances don't always encourage solo play and an open world doesn't always encourage party play. This is the hardest part for me to put into words.
    • Okay, so, dungeons (Not necessarily actual dungeons, but just areas with a requirement to clear it out from start to end, in that order.) are awesome. But they can hardly exist as non-instances and still be properly made.
    • If they are instances they can either be linked to some main town or an open world. The latter is probably better.
    • If they are linked to a main town in the sense that all that that place is for is buying and selling things, then that doesn't count. I don't care if do my shopping surrounded by other players or not. They don't influence me there.
    • If they are linked to an open world in the sense that out there is a battle area where monsters roam, than that's probably good.
    • Now, it's not good if there is no reason to kill the monsters out there together. Like if everything dies in a hit or two and they're not hostile unless attacked. Or if only 1 person gets the loot. Kinda like RaiderZ is.
    • Now, it's also okay if we're not attacking the same monsters, but instead fighting for a common goal. Usually the monsters would have to be invading or protecting something. FireFall seems to be a more or less good example of this.
    • Or, the monsters could just be so tough we couldn't or wouldn't want to take them on alone. (Is there any game where it's literally impossible to play alone? If so, tell me the name regardless if it meets any other criteria.)
    • But back to dungeons, why have them at all then? Well they can have something that isn't quite possible to properly put into an open world. Epic loot perhaps. All of RaiderZ' endgame was doing dungeons so you could get those rare materials.
    • See, you can't just put a rare material or item in an open world. It'd be a constant struggle of who gets it when it spawns. RaiderZ with its open world bosses that constantly had multiple parties around it while only 1 could get the loot.
    • Now, simply apply what I said about an open world to a dungeon. I need a darn good reason to play in a group.
    • And beside a reason I need a possibility. I've spent way too long spamming: "lvl35 sorc lf epic cata party". (My example game variety is low. I need to play more open world games. =b)
    • Now, here's the important part: I doubt any game has all 11 of the things listed above. So just try to find something that has as many as possible. Remember, my main wish is for forced interaction between players.
    • And as a complete alternative, a great PvP game. Like PlanetSide 2. Could totally have lots of PvE as well. Like DayZ. But don't you dare suggest any MOBAs. And hey, if you find a non-shooter with complete open world PvP... Do mention it.

Well, those are the three things that are required. If a game doesn't have those, I don't like it. But how about some other very important things.

1. European servers - Depending on the game, a ping of 200-300 could have devastating effects.
  2. 3D - Just for the visual beauty. Doesn't actually have to utilize all three dimensions all that much.
And finally things that give big bonus points but aren't really required. And I must repeat that you should first focus on all of the above. Make sure it has all that and only then move onto these "bonus points" listed below.
  • Assuming it's otherwise PvE - Large scale PvP, because duels and 5v5 matches don't quite cut it.
  • A great crafting system, because looting a bow from a spider makes no sense, while spending mountains of coins and materials to get something from +313 to +314 does.
  • Fantasy themed, because magic and dragons are awesome.
  • Hey, if they somehow managed to squeeze building in there, that's great. (Personal houses or guild halls in instances, open world building always gets messy.)
Don't be afraid to ask questions or suggest games. I'll answer everything and look at every suggestion and probably try them out too unless I get too many or I notice it conflicting the things listed above. I'll probably edit this post and add more things that I'd like to see from the game. But I can't recall any more right now.

Comments

• Beoelf21Beoelf21 Member Posts: 91
    There is no such game that exists with good PVE and good PVP, but it sounds like your more interested in the PVE anyway. If you wernt trying to stick to the fantasy theme id say you should try The secret World. That game has some of the best PVE content out there...and its different than all the other cookie cutter crap out there.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    i cant help you but if you find one that fits all that let me no, minus the one feature that im trying to cut down on harping on.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Guild Wars 2 might be worth checking out.  Maps are pretty large and explorable, and large-scale PvP in the world-v-world matches.  It's b2p, so meets that requirement.  Crafting is decent.  LOTRO is another, though the PvP may not be what you are wanting.
  • tornmandatetornmandate Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Beoelf
    • Yes, PvE is definitely more important. I'm not too good at PvP and I'm a shitty person who doesn't like to lose, so small scale PvP where my own skills greatly matter isn't suited for me. It's just that PvP is a great way of interaction between players. I think Planetside 2 has one of the best examples of the kind of PvP I like. Though in this case, stick with what I said. Pve is definitely more important.
    • And as all the things in the third list, it's not essential that the game is fantasy themed.
    • Now, the problem with The Secret World is that it costs. And while I'm techincally okay with that, I want a game to really convince me that I will like it and that I will play it, a lot, before I spend money. I'm just a tiny kid and that game costs my 4 months' allowance.
    Ortwig
    • Guild Wars 2 might indeed be worth checking out. Sadly the cost of giving it a try is 55 euros, which is an absurd amount of money for Me to pay for a single game. But the game does seem amazing. Like, really amazing.
    • LOTRO? Seems to be F2P, right? I'll try it out. Although games based on other things don't seem to usually be all that good. The story wasn't built for a game.
  • Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

Originally posted by tornmandate
    Beoelf Yes, PvE is definitely more important. I'm not too good at PvP and I'm a shitty person who doesn't like to lose, so small scale PvP where my own skills greatly matter isn't suited for me. It's just that PvP is a great way of interaction between players. I think Planetside 2 has one of the best examples of the kind of PvP I like. Though in this case, stick with what I said. Pve is definitely more important. And as all the things in the third list, it's not essential that the game is fantasy themed. Now, the problem with The Secret World is that it costs. And while I'm techincally okay with that, I want a game to really convince me that I will like it and that I will play it, a lot, before I spend money. I'm just a tiny kid and that game costs my 4 months' allowance. Ortwig Guild Wars 2 might indeed be worth checking out. Sadly the cost of giving it a try is 55 euros, which is an absurd amount of money for Me to pay for a single game. But the game does seem amazing. Like, really amazing. LOTRO? Seems to be F2P, right? I'll try it out. Although games based on other things don't seem to usually be all that good. The story wasn't built for a game.

GW2 is game where you run solo before you find Dynamic Event, where you can join all w/o grouping (your efforts will count for group efforts), but after like 300 to 500 hours of playing (like 3-4 months) game will became boring (at least for many players, and me).
    LOTRO was not bad with major minor point: quests. You take quest where far from where you'll do it and need to run back far to finish it with NPC, after you go back to previous area for new quest etc. My worst surprise was at lvl 20, I was blocked for game (no progress, can't get more money) before I bought like month of playing for 9$, well I have not run further as I spent money on WoW instate.

Now I play Forsaken World (for over a year), after my time at GW2 (like 5 months to be very bored).
    FW is very pretty f2p with nice lore (you questing for), medium size grind, lot of grouping (dungeons), party finder, ground and fly mounts (basic model sells in game, outside Item Shop, racial mount you can get with game rewarded tokens from Item Shop, so like for free too). You have crafting w/o spend money (gathering, alchemy, cooking), very handy for use (mats you can also sell), game rewards you with few gold you can buy Item Shop tokens with (rest you gonna grind), but Shop not mean too much for your gaming, except if you go deep into PvP.
    PvP is ok, nothing much too, more like show-off, but you have guild wars for fun (once a week, need to be in guild), so my PvP is covered this way.
    Game got nice pet system (again you don't need Item Shop for it), free teleport, good game rewards and gear you can easy find in game (just group and run dungeon), it also has cool mentor system where high lvl "boost" you through any instance for mentor rewards (you can get gear there and XP), game has daily events for fun and some cool rewards.
    Just take a look at EU eng server, it enough populated and friendly, just join guild after like lvl 20, they gonna help you a lot (look for world recruit message or ask me).

For f2p this game has lot of features, low grind, lot of dungeons, keep you busy and give you nice game playing.
    I'm not very sure why not many people like it (I mean recommend it) in this forum. I know PWE has, may be, reputation of money sink, but it sure not about Forsaken World. Only gear grind you do if for getting wings (lvl1, lvl2 and lvl3).
    I got lvl1 sorta easy with few months of progression (got to lvl up anyhow), working for lvl2 now, it slow but I can't tell I really need it as I'm not PvP imba, and do enough dmg at PvE even without. Again it most likely PvP/cosmetic item.
    At the end of game you have fun with new instances and save for wings without grind stress or being throw apart from party choice (like gear score at WoW).
    I never seen anyone kicked from dungeon because of gear so far, beside it really rare to kick anyone (except long DC).
    Players are friendly and helping noobs, most of them playing from beta, so knows a lot.

As dark side I can tell game can be repetitive so boring this way, but they add new features regularly, so it's ok.
    anyway, take a look, it's free.
    hope I could help and you like my game.=D

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try it out as soon as I get some free room on my disk. Guess I didn't consider I only have 75GB of space for games. ( ^_^')
  • BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by Ortwig
    Guild Wars 2 might be worth checking out.  Maps are pretty large and explorable, andlarge-scale PvP in the world-v-world matches.  It's b2p, so meets that requirement.  Crafting is decent.  LOTRO is another, though the PvP may not be what you are wanting.

my 2 cents about gw2.

first let me say: i liked gw2 and had fun playing it.

but:

Guild Wars 2 might be worth checking out. - not when he wants a lot of progression - if you dont count legendary (or how they are called) weapons, progression in gw2 is quite short.

Maps are pretty large and explorable - maps are explorable and are greatly made for it, but pretty large? i would not say so

large-scale PvP in the world-v-world matches. - yup its pretty decent, but i think it is 40vs40 or so, which sure is a lot more massive then 5vs5, but still not that massive (i may be wrong there tho, since i didnt play WvW for a long time)

It's b2p, so meets that requirement.  - true

Crafting is decent.  - this is actually statement that got me to respond. as a dedicated crafter i have to say: except for the discoveries in cooking, the crafting system is imo the usual most basic themepark crap. only decent thing about it is the fact that what you craft is usually useful for you, if you keep up crafting with adventure leveling.

LOTRO is another, though the PvP may not be what you are wanting. - most of players never do pvp in lotro afaik. also progression is not very long, it has a lot slower progression then gw2 (imo), but still, compared with some games (like ac, ac2, istaria etc (not to mention e.g. aardwolf mud)) - not very much.

I updated the first post with some different and lots of more info...

I'll admire your patience if you actually read and consider it all when/if suggesting a game.

Also, Lovely_Laly, I tried Forsaken World, but the game seems void of people and way too easy. 2 hours, not a single soul seen, every monster killed in 1 hit, craptons of potions and assisting items aquired, 90% of the leveling done though quests... And, well, that was enough to make me quit.