Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Could a Vanilla WoW clone out do MoP?

124»

Comments

• Tutu2Tutu2 Member UncommonPosts: 572
    Man wish people would get over this request already. Vanilla WoW was done and is gone, we don't need to bring it back. What made it truly great was its community back then. I look back and fondly remember the world pvp and the closer knit guilds. It felt great that gold was more hard earned too. But everything else about it was sorely overrated. 
  • PrimernovaPrimernova Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by drbaltazar
    gw2 is as close a game as i ever saw doing vanilla style (forget graphic of caurse the gw2 graphic are better lol the game is newer!

GW2 (Anet) is mostly Blizzard North, a key group in making vanilla/TBC WoW.

I consider the two, very similar to a Pink Floyd of MMOs.

I'll follow Gilmore.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

you guys wanna die to my rogue again?

that's what vanilla was about. stop dreaming about something that never actually happened

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• PrimernovaPrimernova Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by Thane

that's what vanilla was about. stop dreaming about something that never actually happened

Rogues have sucked since TBC, your point?

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Primernova

Rogues and DK's are quite good examples of classes that have been hammered in the endless quest for "balance".  DK's especially.  They started out as a "hero" anti caster class, and have been totally destroyed, because of the hysterical howling and foaming at the mouth, that resulted.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Wraithone

Rogues and DK's are quite good examples of classes that have been hammered in the endless quest for "balance".  DK's especially.  They started out as a "hero" anti caster class, and have been totally destroyed, because of the hysterical howling and foaming at the mouth, that resulted.

I had a combat daggers rogue in vanilla and it has been ruined.  At least they never messed with pallys.....oh wait.....

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Originally posted by waynejr2

you guys wanna die to my rogue again?   that's what vanilla was about. stop dreaming about something that never actually happened

I had a combat daggers rogue in vanilla and it has been ruined.  At least they never messed with pallys.....oh wait.....

Dont forget they ruined spriests too. 

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by birdycephon

I love my spriest. Not sure what you are referring to.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by strangiato2112
    Originally posted by BrownAle

basically the thought process for every game made since say...2006

never works if you havent noticed.

no game released since WoW has come close to the reasons why WoW was good.

You mean releasing when there's pretty much no competition?  You're right, no game will ever have that chance again.

Originally posted by Psychow

Originally posted by birdycephon
    you guys wanna die to my rogue again?   that's what vanilla was about. stop dreaming about something that never actually happened

I love my spriest. Not sure what you are referring to.

I havent played MoP, so I wouldnt know. I'm talking WotLK to Cata. 

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Eir_S

You mean releasing when there's pretty much no competition?  You're right, no game will ever have that chance again.

Wait, I thought all the old games were supposed to be super double awesome! Are you saying they weren't competetive?

Wait, I thought all the old games were supposed to be super double awesome! Are you saying they weren't competetive?

I'm not one of the people that thought they were super double awesome, so your guess is as good as mine.  I just don't think WoW would do very well if it were released today.

• fat_taddlerfat_taddler Member Posts: 286

I've been playing WoW since launch and I think the game is in a pretty good place right now.    I have a lot of fond memories of Vanilla but I also believe that most of the improvements made over the years have made the overall WoW experience much more enjoyable for both casual and hardcore players.

From a PVP standpoint, there are quite a few BG's now which offer plenty of variety.  If you're not into BG's, there are a few servers with extremely active world PvP.

In terms of PvE, there's almost limitless stuff to do these days.  The new dungeons and raids are fantastic.  Couple that with the introduction of competitive PVE in the form of Challenge Mode dungeons and you've got plenty of stuff to do.   Not to mention the Transmog system which has really made it worthwhile to go through the older raids and dungeons.

I see a lot of negative posts about WoW and while it's certainly lacking some sandbox mechanics that I've enjoyed in other games, it simply offers the best bang for your buck in terms of MMO entertainment. 

basically the thought process for every game made since say...2006   never works if you havent noticed.

I'm not one of the people that thought they were super double awesome, so your guess is as good as mine.  I just don't think WoW would do very well if it were released today.

But look at it this way, would today's games be the same if WoW was never released? I think not. The reason WoW wouldnt do well, is because there is already a WoW, and all the copies of it as well. 

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

I think the implication is that it is easier to compete with:

UO, EQ and DAOC

than competing with these:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm

Yes they competed in the past, but the competition is a little stiffer today.

^ That's what I meant.  WoW is a good game, but everyone knows a lot of its success is also attributed to being in the right place at the right time.
  • battleaxe22battleaxe22 Member UncommonPosts: 303
    I really doubt it.The mmo scene has changed a lot in the past 8 years. 
  • KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    ^ That's what I meant.  WoW is a good game, but everyone knows a lot of its success is also attributed to being in the right place at the right time.

agree but dont you think after so many failure mmo releases the last few years, blizz once again will be in the right place, the right time?

i will bet on it :)

• mrbungle419mrbungle419 Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by kabitoshin

Bring back X-road, and Tarren Mill Vs Southshore raids!

P.S. Also I would like to see a server start from maybe the Dire Maul patch, and slowly progress to todays X- Pac

That would still leave a lot of question marks when it comes to class balancing that came along later.  I think they would be better off picking a late Vanilla patch like 1.12, but then releasing the content like they did originally.  That way players don't have to wait till a certain patch to get the skills they want, and that way class balancing would be done from the get go and no one could complain about their class since they would know ahead of tme exactly what talents and spells would be available for the entire expansion.   Then when BC came out, again, pick a BC patch, like 2.4.3 (seems popular in the privare servers) and slowly release all the content in that patch.

So instead of constantly moving from patch to patch, just have 1 patch per era and only do content releases.  I think that would work well. 

• mrbungle419mrbungle419 Member UncommonPosts: 47

A lot of their success also came from the Blizzard name.  War3, SC, and Diablo II were extremely successful for their time.  Gamers everywhere (including asia, which was already beginning to fall in love with the MMO) already loved Blizzard, so they were very excited to play their newest game.  I know when I went to buy it around Xmas of 2004 I had to go to 3 stores to find it.  It was selling out all over town.  I don't even think Blizzard was ready for how successful it was in the first 6 months of release.

They also had a big advertising budget.  Not so much for commericals, but it was being featured on internet gaming sties and in magazines for months leading up to its release, and about 6 months after its release it has had very successful commercials.  Hell, it even had a South Park episode that made fun of the players, yet totally helped sub numbers.

WoW wasn't only super successful because of the game, it had a lot of things going for it.