Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Documentary: Race to World First

TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Basically a documentary about one of the top guilds in WoW and how nerdy they are.  I have yet to watch it but i've been told its relevant to most mmorpg players who are super competitive in PvE.

http://vimeo.com/racetoworldfirst/racetoworldfirst

Edit: Started watching it and its super nerdy

Comments

• BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439
    Very well put together. This is an excellent documentary. I'll be posting this on my old guild's facebook page.
  • NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    I saw it back when it was released. I loved the documentary. Very well done I thought and brought back many memories of my raiding days.

Does it get nerdier than being acquainted with the MMO genre and posting on forums? ;-)

There's a term for that.
  • MaxJacMaxJac Member Posts: 185
    Thanks, it was a good documentary to secondscreen while working.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    So I watched this.. and became ashamed that in some ways I am associated with these kinds of people since I'm into MMOs. I see stuff like that and fully understand why the rest of world stereotype MMO players as massive geeks and wierdos with no life.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by NBlitz
    I saw it back when it was released. I loved the documentary. Very well done I thought and brought back many memories of my raiding days.

Does it get nerdier than being acquainted with the MMO genre and posting on forums? ;-)

There's a term for that.

Haha - point taken.  But, what got me was when they start sacrificing potential real life opportunities to better themselves for...the game.

The most insane part was the russian guild, who were number 10 in the world, raiding 20 hours a day.  What......the.....fuck

I heard of top guilds raiding 12 hours a day for 2-3 days at a time then taking a break, but never 20 hours a day for consecutive days.  Thats insane.

• LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555
    Originally posted by TheHavok

There's a term for that.

Haha - point taken.  But, what got me was when they start sacrificing potential real life opportunities to better themselves for...the game.

The most insane part was the russian guild, who were number 10 in the world, raiding 20 hours a day.  What......the.....fuck

I heard of top guilds raiding 12 hours a day for 2-3 days at a time then taking a break, but never 20 hours a day for consecutive days.  Thats insane.

Who are you to say its insane? Have you seen the training regimes multiple athletes go through? Or Actors? Because they make "big bucks" that makes it ok?

• MavekMavek Member Posts: 138
    Originally posted by Livnthedream
    Originally posted by TheHavok

There's a term for that.

Who are you to say its insane? Have you seen the training regimes multiple athletes go through? Or Actors? Because they make "big bucks" that makes it ok?

No because it's a way to make a living.  Even through sponsors raiding can produce a very limited financial gain.  It is "insane" in today's society to raid 20 hours a day because it takes away from "real life" so much.  When the top guilds are all consistently making enough money to live on maybe then mainstream culture will accept it as a prominent way to spend 80%+ of a day for multiple days per week.

• LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555
    Originally posted by Mavek

No because it's a way to make a living.  Even through sponsors raiding can produce a very limited financial gain.  It is "insane" in today's society to raid 20 hours a day because it takes away from "real life" so much.  When the top guilds are all consistently making enough money to live on maybe then mainstream culture will accept it as a prominent way to spend 80%+ of a day for multiple days per week.

Sure, except you see the similar time commitments in many proffesional lines. Scientists, many business related ventures, lawyers, doctors etc. But you are right, those are all professions, how about other hobbies? How about hunters? Spending thousands on equipment and licenses, taking multiple weeks off to go play in the brush. Or deep sea fishermen. Being down on someone merely because they are passionate about something that you are not is completely foolish. It is not hurting them, it is not hurting anyone else.

• vvvemmavvvvvvemmavvv Member UncommonPosts: 51
    is not about having fun for them
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

I just finished watching and don't really know what to think about it.

On one hand, it's absolutely sick that these people are raiding 20hrs a day and then speak about obtaining more social acceptance and respect for doing so. It's also pathetic to see them actually having "fans" cheering on them.

But then, at a time i was just the same. Doing 15hr raids with 40 people and then right after another 20 man for 4+hrs to "calm down" at 3am. Addiction, obsession, frustration..but mainly an escape from everything including myself. So, from my perspective i wouldn't look to anyone of them as a hero, an idol or a role model or have the slightest form of respect for them.

I don't have a final verdict, nor do i want to judge these people -although at this level, for each and every one of them there is probably more to it then just the idea of competition and sports. Like compensating for deficits, anxieties etc. etc. -just stay a while longer on VoIP after the raid has left and let them talk and you'll get my point. I've been through alot of these nights with people like this.

Watching this docu just made me glad that i'm not like this anymore. There are bigger things in life.