Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Character Archetypes Interest You?

BahamutKaiserBahamutKaiser Member UncommonPosts: 314

Looked around and didn't see a developed topic on this, if I missed it feel free to direct me. Otherwise, let's discuss your favorite character archetypes in games.

I'm talking about species and roles, these are often referred to as races and classes, jobs, professions and everything else under the sun, but I'll use species and roles, you describe it however you like.

I've always wanted more species to be present in games, in general. Roles or class options have expanded a lot over he years, but species have been very limited, even when they offer a dozen different "races", your often relegated to a bunch of bipeds with different features. Some of these are interesting (to me), like Vampires, Werewolves, while others feel horribly overdone, like Elves and Dwarves.

I don't want to spend too much time talking about what I like, but I'll mention some species I'd really like to see in fantasy games which mix up the experience and archetypes you can assume. Centaurs, giant beasts like wolves and Wildcats, giant birds like hawks or mystical creatures like Kirin, Unicorn, Griffin, Sphinx and most of all Dragons, of many variations.

There's a lot more I haven't touched on, but that pretty much communicates what I mean. It would be nice if more MMOs, or more games overall, explored these unique character types and species, we've seen some more spectacular species in recent years, like Angels, Demons, and Vampires, but we are still limited to mostely bipeds, and similar character development and operation paths. It would be nice to see more unique species playable and fleshed out.

I woln't go into roles nearly as much since its not as unexplored as species are, I personally like Samurai, Vampires, and Creature roles, as well as some role division that features flight, and combat that can support battle between characters with different terrain options, like swimming, climbing and so on, without trying to allow everyone to do the same thing.

Beyond that, I just wanna preface this discussion by pointing out that its OK to like what you like, and your preferances don't need to cater to others expectations. Openly share what archetypes you'd find attractive in games, why you are interested in them, and even those you don't like without being preoccupied with the acceptance of others. Hopefully I haven't dragged on too long, let's hear your interests.

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, if they get angry, they'll be a mile away... and barefoot.

Comments

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

may be as a female, I like my character pretty (human, elf or demonic beauty, like vampire but style *sexy*, not *scary*).

as role I prefer caster, may be I'm too lazy and like AOE, may be I need to feel protection, who knows.

I love games with great graphics and cool 3D character look (customization), even if I don't really play this game (Aion). Example: GW1 and GW2 (human), WoW (b-elf), Tera (elf), Runes of Magic (human and elf), Forsaken World (human mage and kindred vampire).

I, personally, don't like healer class, I find it boring to play, too much responsibility inside group, low dps for solo questing, but don't mind hybrid (selfheal) class.

Never liked tank class, and don't like melee class in general with one exception: my b-elf DK, dps.

Hope it helps.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    I am a fan of hybrid Melee & Magic characters.  Preferably a character that wields a Two-Handed Sword and usses shadow/dark/void 'ish style magic like Life syphons, Drains, DOT's and Undead minion control.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

The reason why most races are bipeds, and not quadrapeds or tripeds (or other variations) is because such characters tend to be WAY less popular. There have been many games (some MMOs included) that had more than just Biped characters. One example being LOTRO.

Unfortunately, it's a known fact that in every game that when given the option (outside from PvP games, which I'll get to in a sec), the most popular race is always 'human', or the closes equivalent. This is because in RPGs you are assuming the role of a character, and people tend to what to do that with a character they can relate to. Translation: The character that is most similar to the user. Since most users are bipeds, they tend to play as one.

However, in PvP games it's completely different. People will play as either:

A) Whatever gives the greatest percieved advantage.

-or-

B) Whatever seems the most 'badass'.

This is because in PvP you aren't really playing a role (at least not in the same sense as you do in an RPG). It's competitive in nature. Instead, 'winning' is the primary focus. Because of this, you see all kinds of characters / races in PvP games. Just look at games like DoTA, LoL, SMITE, awesomenaughts, natural selection, starcraft, etc. All of which have more than just the 'biped'. Heck, in natural selection you start out as a dog that eats people, and can evolve into a giant alien rhino. In LotRO you can play as a warg, or a spider. In MOBAs you play as all kinds of crap, some of which don't have legs at all.

It would be awesome to have more races. However, the sad truth is that the vast majority of players won't bother with characters outside of the fairly standard archetypes. They're just too unfamiliar. In fact, I think the most recent MMO to actually have more popular, non conventional race types, would be GW2. And before that, probably EQ2. This is why, when games do have alternate races to the standards, they tend to not be playable =/.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

healers

i wish more devs would play VG healer classes

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Always play elves (not the wood elf type, more like the silmarillion elves or perhaps Dark Elves), prefer warrior/mage characters or Templar/knight characters/Plate wearing types. These are essentially what I make in my elder scrolls games. I try to come close in mmo's.

Never play roges or assassins though I sometimes like evil Sorcerers. I wouldn't be adverse to playing a bard though I have never seen a bard class I particularly thought well done in the details.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • BahamutKaiserBahamutKaiser Member UncommonPosts: 314

Thanks for the detailed explanation aesperus, but I wasn't actually unaware of that... at all. As even the few people here have mentioned, their mostly interested in existing archetypes.  The issue is, there are more people in the world, even when the majority of people like one thing, if you can include multiple options, you can tap into vast resevours of players who have no options.

On one note, most MMOs include PvP features for additional entertainment and renewable challenge, so pointing out the state of player preferance outside of PvP is a bit muted. Also, different creature types go beyond just different looks and roles, they expand into different character development and gameplay styles if the engine allows.

Beyond that, I'm not in need of any more of your explanations of what other people perfer, they've been invited to state so directly themselves. I'm not hold out my hand and saying, "hey, you like to play as dragons, don't you?", now am I? I stated what I like, and invited others to do the same.

Thanks to everyone sharing their preferance instead of claiming everyone elses. I can only question if anyone is limiting their interest to what they have already enjoyed playing, rather than what they may like otherwise. For those of you who perfer humanesc appearances, how do Angel and Demon variances appeal to you, or character transformation?

I know there are very few games where you can experience creatures of different variety in games outside of riding on mounts, various dragon riding games, and the not so spectacular Horizons game. There is also a few games like Okami, which shows a great deal of talent at displaying the fun of playing as a wolf, have any of you experienced these?

Personally, I haven't really partaken in many MMOs lately, especially big titles. The selection to date include very little of the gameplay or charater archetypes I'm interested in, and I'm entirely too picky about the quality and depth over all. I'm hoping some games in the future open up some niche to those who want more. Even if it's limited to isometric dungeon crawling, or an MMORTS type game, I'd like to see more unique character archetypes.

• BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675

I like either characters with all their powers coming from nature (druids, rangers), or characters with deployables!  Turrets, totems, spirits, I love me some deployables.  Coming up in third place are pet classes.

I just need an awesome druid class that can summon an animal to fight with him and plant some trees that heal or some stuff and I am one happy bastard.

LOL, that's interesting, it reminds me of a totally different set of archetypes I left out altogether, mechanical and cyborg.

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

Melee damage dealers and ranged damage dealers (Not mages or glass cannons ever though)

sometimes I'll play a healer too. I don't care for tanks but find myself playing as tanks because everyone else in the game that plays as a tank is a terrible tank. Champions Online comes to mind. I swear only like 10 people who tank know what they're doing.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I tend to enjoy archetypes with a strong religious alignment tie-in.  Personal favorites are Theurgists with ties to holy, or Demonologists / Necromancers with ties to unholy.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • phumbabaphumbaba Member Posts: 138

Many of my preferences depend on art style (including movement and posture), overall graphics and how I find armor sets for the different races and occasionally even for classes. These are quite game dependent. If I were to assume those are all ok, my list would maybe look like this:

- a hybrid nature character aka druid as in some hots/melee/summon/nature spells

- shapeshifter with pretty much nothing but many shapes

- fast melee character

- debuffer with either summons or some forms of attacks too, preferably maybe debuffer with gadgets/traps

- ranged with gadgets/traps

I would also love to play a priestly character again, but I dislike how trinity has made it a heal bot and the usual suspect. I'll try to sketch what kinda priest I'd like to play:

- auras including hot

- rituals that need to be carried out for massive healing spells e.g. cast five minor spells in different locations around pt for aoe heal

- some melee or ranged + some spells

Of course this would set some requirements how other classes can complement for healing.

I do realize I didn't write any of the thematics/backgrounds nor the social aspects of the classes. The reason is, that the thematics pretty much exist already and I guess I do think all characters should have pretty much equal social tools available. Although now that I think about it Allods' psychics' chat was nice so I guess it could be great to have some variation there too.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

There are not enough playable "monsters"

Eg. Dragons, werewolves, etc.

Especially Dragons.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Originally posted by aesperus

The reason why most races are bipeds, and not quadrapeds or tripeds (or other variations) is because such characters tend to be WAY less popular. There have been many games (some MMOs included) that had more than just Biped characters. One example being LOTRO.

Unfortunately, it's a known fact that in every game that when given the option (outside from PvP games, which I'll get to in a sec), the most popular race is always 'human', or the closes equivalent. This is because in RPGs you are assuming the role of a character, and people tend to what to do that with a character they can relate to. Translation: The character that is most similar to the user. Since most users are bipeds, they tend to play as one.

However, in PvP games it's completely different. People will play as either:

A) Whatever gives the greatest percieved advantage.

-or-

B) Whatever seems the most 'badass'.

This is because in PvP you aren't really playing a role (at least not in the same sense as you do in an RPG). It's competitive in nature. Instead, 'winning' is the primary focus. Because of this, you see all kinds of characters / races in PvP games. Just look at games like DoTA, LoL, SMITE, awesomenaughts, natural selection, starcraft, etc. All of which have more than just the 'biped'. Heck, in natural selection you start out as a dog that eats people, and can evolve into a giant alien rhino. In LotRO you can play as a warg, or a spider. In MOBAs you play as all kinds of crap, some of which don't have legs at all.

It would be awesome to have more races. However, the sad truth is that the vast majority of players won't bother with characters outside of the fairly standard archetypes. They're just too unfamiliar. In fact, I think the most recent MMO to actually have more popular, non conventional race types, would be GW2. And before that, probably EQ2. This is why, when games do have alternate races to the standards, they tend to not be playable =/.

Well in Istaria the dragons out number the bipeds :)

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

Humans and human like races are played more than any other. So regardless of your game numbers in each race go Human > Elves > Dwarves and Hobbits. Just stick in races from your MMO to suit.

Games like Istaria tried to do something differant and we all know how dangerous that is in gaming. The genre it littered with games that had fine ideas that were never taken foward.

I like to play bigger guys like Hibernians or smaller ones like Dwarves, don't know why. :)

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I do like the standard fantasy archtypes but wish they were more open ended. Historically I've played Paladin type melee holy warriors but always wanted to be able to dual weild with them rather than 2h/1h shield. I also like the idea of playing a Battlemage where I can cast range or use my magic to enhance melee combat. Most of the time Mage classes cannot do this though GW2 has the Mesmer and I know AA has open skill/weapon combos.

On the subject of races the idea of your race heavily influencing your abilities is a great idea. More than just passive skills I think having 1/2 your abilities coming from the race you choose would really spicen things up for an MMO.
  • Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

hmmm as far as races go i actully like animorphs or weres, primarily for me personly i like to play rats, think of that what you will.

as for p[lay style i like several play style t be honest and what i play in a game depends on how i relate to the concept and the exact style its done. like i hae a preference for tech or magic tech.

normally when i start a game im going to look for one of three arch types range, control, or pets. sometimes i will go tank style melee, but rarly do i go heavy melee damage, or healer or support. ( i think of support and control as diffrent things).

in some game i may play all of these, in others ill find only one i actully like. it really comes down to the flavor more then the actual style with me to be honest.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

Originally posted by VengeSunsoar  Well in Istaria the dragons out number the bipeds :)
    That may actually be because very few games offer Dragons as characters, despite the great reviews given to me by players of Istaria, I have to believe that the only reason  game with that much trial succeeded was because it offered something unique which isn't available elsewhere.

Originally posted by Scot Humans and human like races are played more than any other. So regardless of your game numbers in each race go Human > Elves > Dwarves and Hobbits. Just stick in races from your MMO to suit. Games like Istaria tried to do something differant and we all know how dangerous that is in gaming. The genre it littered with games that had fine ideas that were never taken foward. I like to play bigger guys like Hibernians or smaller ones like Dwarves, don't know why. :)

I think the issue with developing popular archetypes isn't nearly as much a risk as the industry makes it out to be, in actuallity, I think it's nearly opposite. Popular archetypes are often used as a cheap way to bring in interest, and are done very poorly, relying on a popular archetype to sell the product.

This is simular to Movies > Games, or Games > Movies. They've often been bad, and are often a cheap trick designed to suck in a fanbase established elsewhere to a movie or game. The media is often weak and poorly developed because the producer was just taking a cheap shot at something that already has interest. I've noticed the same thing with popular archetypes, and in particular, the most popular one, Dragons, as they are put on titles, games with dragons are often poorly made, and sometimes it's just a moniker to draw attention even though it has little to do with dragons or their very isolated.

The truth remains, dragons are wildly popular, if developers would make a quality entry for dragon play it would probably be more than a little popular, especially if they go a lot further than Istaria and have several different creatures of sky, land and sea, quality gameplay and make interesting mechanics for unique and unlike creatures to compete in alternate ways.

Originally posted by Aelious I do like the standard fantasy archtypes but wish they were more open ended. Historically I've played Paladin type melee holy warriors but always wanted to be able to dual weild with them rather than 2h/1h shield. I also like the idea of playing a Battlemage where I can cast range or use my magic to enhance melee combat. Most of the time Mage classes cannot do this though GW2 has the Mesmer and I know AA has open skill/weapon combos. On the subject of races the idea of your race heavily influencing your abilities is a great idea. More than just passive skills I think having 1/2 your abilities coming from the race you choose would really spicen things up for an MMO.

As for the interest in Dual wielding and Shields, I've always found this a little disappointing myself, not because I want to dual wield instead of using a shield... but because using a shield with another weapon IS dual wielding...

Not to diminish your interest in a dual sword wielding pally, I'm simply bringing up another micro Archetype of shield users, and my disappointment that shields arn't an active weapon along with your sword. I've always heralded the spear and shield as the go to weapon for the real warrior and powerful combat. The use of a spears superior reach, the ability ot maintain a defensive posture with a shield while striking with a spear, and also the fact that the shield itself is a very powerful weapon all by itself.

You needent go any further than the Deadliest Warrior series to find good metrics for the potency of Hoplite weaponry and combat. While I woln't vouche for their results as it's just a bunch of number speculating, I do appreciate their weapons testing. The measurement of a shield punch with the rim of a round shield dealt a 45G impact. I can only imagine what the shrap point of an offensive shield could do.

Which brings me to another Archetype I'd rather have than the common sword and board in most fantasy MMO, the Spear and Shield Warrior, or Hoplite. They dominated most of feudal history, and if games designed them to do more than hold up their shield and have slightly higher defense figures, it would be very interesting to see them fight. Supreme frontal defense, vicious spear and shield dual wielding attacks, longer reach attacks in combat. I feel spears and shields have been done a huge injustice in fantasy MMOs while swords have been put on a pedastool that spears belong on, there isn't even a legitimate comparison in effective battle between the two...

• MwahahaMwahaha Member UncommonPosts: 126
    I've always preferred the evil looking races such as the dark elves.  I like my character to look scary regardless of which faction I'm on and I do like healing as well as ranged dps classes (caster and ranger).  

Played:  EQ, EQ2, Vanguard, WAR, WoW, LoTRO, CoX, CO, GW2, FFXIV: ARR, AoC, Rift, TSW, SWTOR, TERA, BnS, ESO

I really liked Dragoon in FFXI as well, probably why it took forever for me to get anywhere in that game >.>

Ninjas are rather interesting, and cavalry classes, something along the lines of moving faster and allowing strategic engagement. Chocobos are like my favorite mount evar :)

I really really wish some interesting character types were created for Kirin type beasts too, something fast, and maybe even able to gallop on air.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

As far as species go, I tend to play everything available as long as it looks neat. I typically don't play as straight up humans though. I find things like character animations to be very important too, thus I play races with what I feel are the best animations.

As far as class archetypes, I like a lot of things. However, I tend to keep away from traditional casters and healers. I prefer hybrids that use a blend of magic and melee or physical ranged (aka bows, crossbows). If I play as a healer, the healing has to be a passive effect of other actions I am performing, or be caster centered aoe heals of some type. The only traditional casters I play are DoT casters (necromancers, daoc mentalists) or pet class casters.

At the same time, I also do enjoy the hell out of traditionally pure classes as well. Pure melee warrior or rogue types especially. I also prefer my rogues to be control/disabling specialists over pure damage from stealth type characters.

Honestly, it's very hard for me to pin down my general likes, because I take so many things on a case by case basis. I am of the "as long as it's fun, I'll play it" crowd.

I understand pickiness completely. someone could add everything I am asking for in a game and just make a very boring or poorly developed game, and not be desirable at all. I'm actually less concerned about not seeing a game with the features I want than seeing a game with what I asked for, but done so poorly I can't enjoy it.

Ultimately I'm a gameplay prioritizer, I'll play a game with nothing but humans of one ethnicity as long as the gameplay is good, we could all have the same character and everything. I remember ages of playing D2, and even with it's simple and repetative gameplay, the whopping 7 characters were fun enough to play. Honestly, I had to go back to console games because even retro console games have more quality of gameplay and interest than the many MMOs.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Races:

I live Darkelfs which are not evil, but kinda have a warrior culture. (Hardcore Elfs.^^)

I liked the EQ2 Fae, because they were fun and... glittery. XD

Classes:

I like versatile melee classes, like Paladin or the GW2 warrior with a vide assortment of skills.

I like hunters, archers - REAL archers, not pet class archers. Like the EQ2 ranger or the SWTOR Smuggler.

And I also *cough* designed my own fav. race once, the Halfdragon. They are created when a Dragon, (beings I imagine with superior intelligence and the ability to shapeshift into humanoid form, like in Shadowrun), mates with a human or elf, this is the result, the Halfdragon. I designed them once for a Shadowrun campaign.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• Cochran1Cochran1 Member Posts: 456

I typically choose Dwarves when they're offered, I'm drawn to the gruff demeanor and the focus on ancestry. When they're not available I choose the beast races like goblin, there's nothing more fun than to be part of a mob of unruly monsters or mangy beasts.

I usually roll Fighter or Paladin classes. You know to smite the the unholy or to die an honorable warrior's death in battle. I just find it fun to play those kind of strong roles. Sometimes I'll roll a Shadowknight type class for the tainted Paladin theme.

It really comes down to an element of roleplay for me. I even try to make the names I use fit the characters I build, because it's supposed to be the story of my character. Without those pieces fitting together it's hard to enjoy his or her story as it unfolds.

Wow, Half Dragons :P Can he please have wings so he feels a little different than were-lizard? :]  I remember there was a Myrmidon form in Breath of Fire where you could take on a humanoid dragon form, looked a lot like a classic demon, was kind of interesting. And I'm reminded of BoF Dragons Quarter (... didn't like it though), had this dragon drive thingy.

I wish I could draw half decent, would like to make depictions of creatures myself, but I'm not so talented with my triple jointed thumb, and a bit unmotivated to draw. Fortunately I'm dating a graphics artist now, one of these days I'll have to request some images.

As for Dwarves, I've been meaning to dialogue with some Dwarf fans about what exactly makes a dwarf special... I've always felt they were kinda inferior, I mean elves are obvious, longevity, superior talent and archane affiliation... elegant look with pointy ears. Short Tubby guys with beards... sometimes even on the women... not so hawt XD

I do remember how epic they are in Norse mythology, they made some of the most ridiculously spectacular creations, Thors Hammer, Some like pocket ship which yeah, did that thing. One even hoards gold til he becomes a dragon. In Norse mythology their pretty spectacular. But you don't really see much of that in typical fantasy, so I'm wondering what attributes make them special otherwise.

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    i'm not specific, as long as i can make things die, fast, efficiently, and in various ways, im happy.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!