Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

You view on "The zerg" and smaller scale groups taking it on. (Mark?)

2»

Comments

• skyexileskyexile MelbournePosts: 692Member

Originally posted by grogstorm
    Anti Zerg mechanic (just one possibility)Assumptions:   [*] Group size is 6 (depends on game mechanics) [*] Zerg rules only apply outside x radius from keeps and named strangle points
    Inside x radius of keep / strangle point  get normal xp based on class (aoe users get less xp per kill than melee)
    Double xp for 1 on 1 fight (individual or same size group)1.5% xp for fight ratio up to 1.5 to 1 (3 on 2)Normal xp for up to 2 on 1.5% xp for up to 3 on 1No xp for over 3 on 1So in effect you want to fight same size groups for maximum xp and if the zerg is too big it would be difficult to get groups to fight against where you can get decent or any xp.

not giving any XP for a 3:1 engagement would be silly, its going to be pretty common occurrence. The XP from zerging essentially diminishes itself though. say 100xp for a kill /50 people...you get 2 xp per kill, a slow way to level if you're not constantly battling and killing people...and zerg generally dont. they move at a much slower and than a typical small hunting party.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• TumblebutzTumblebutz Henderson, NVPosts: 322Member

Anyone who played on Percival will remember the night of the "Malavela spam." 

As has been stated, I think all options for playstyle should be available.  I wouldn't do anything to "discourage" the zerg, although I'm no fan of it.  Large objectives will require large groups, hence, the zerg.  Just make sure there are objectives for smaller groups, 3 or 4 man groups, solos, etc.

Emeryc Eightdrakes - Ranger of DragonMyst Keep - Percival

RED IS DEAD!

• Niix_OzekNiix_Ozek Calgary, ABPosts: 397Member
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

if you are a skilled group you can easily take out a crappy zerg in WvW http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzDx6v_yWdA

this holds true for most games though a skilled few can dominate a bunch of poorly played characters. What i like to see is more incentives for running in small groups.. in GW2 a small group of skilled players can steamroll bigger groups but it's always easier to have a much larger group and just steamroll even faster(this is true for most large scale PVP games).. the incentives need to be there to encourage more small group play.

Can we make sure that spell effects arn't like this video?

I mean I don't think you can do that in 200 v 200 battles, but still god that would be so annoying to visually look at every battle.

Ozek - DAOC
    Niix - Other games that sucked

• AerowynAerowyn BUZZARDS BAY, MAPosts: 7,928Member
    Originally posted by Niix_Ozek

if you are a skilled group you can easily take out a crappy zerg in WvW http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzDx6v_yWdA this holds true for most games though a skilled few can dominate a bunch of poorly played characters. What i like to see is more incentives for running in small groups.. in GW2 a small group of skilled players can steamroll bigger groups but it's always easier to have a much larger group and just steamroll even faster(this is true for most large scale PVP games).. the incentives need to be there to encourage more small group play.

I mean I don't think you can do that in 200 v 200 battles, but still god that would be so annoying to visually look at every battle.

watch any large scale daoc battle its nothing but spell effects everywhere.. Not sure why gw2 gets so much flak about that aspect as daoc had same issue.. Wvw has plenty of issues but don't find spell effects to bad overall compared to other MMOs I have played with large scale battles

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• MightyPitMightyPit StuttgartPosts: 89Member

I think that the zerg is the way this game should work. Armies vs. armies. However, armies can be slowed down by guerillia tactics ( aka 8er grps) and/or by cutting the supply line.

But when a zerg.. sorry, army, is commanded well, it should not get bashed by 8 ppl. The best tactic should be to build up a counter army. Of course it could be tactically wise to split up your own army to encircle the enemie army or something like that.

Also a small group should be able to defend a fortress a while, but if no reinforcements arrive soon, the army should take this fortress.

We want to do RvR, don't we? Otherwise it would be a simultanous 8vs8 arena.

MMO's played so far:
    UO,EQ,DAOC,EQ2,GW,ROM,WOW,WAR,AOC,LOTRO,RIFT,TSW,GW2,POE
    Looking forward to: Camelot Unchained, Star Citizen

• DeanMalincoDeanMalinco overland park, KSPosts: 26Member
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by DeanMalinco
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by SanguisAevum

DAOC offered a vast range of play styles, and multiple ways to combat "The Zerg" if you so desired it.

- You could form your own zerg, and duke it out in an epic, Thane lag-hammer filled battle. :)

- You could form a well build group, and use speed, crowd control, superior tactics, focused damage, and voice comms to take on the zergs, and win! (if you were good enough).

- You could form smaller, mobile "gank" groups, and avoid the zergs (they tend to move slowly compared to small groups) and just pick on smaller groups, and smaller objectives (towers etc)

- Many classes were capable of solo scouting, picking off stragglers, guarding choke points, and avoiding the zerg, whilst contributing alone.

- A smaller defending force had a huge advantage vs attackers in a defensive structure (mile gate, keep, tower) and could usually successfully hold a structure long enough for backup to arrive... these kinds of situations led to some of the most epic sieges I have ever seen in an MMO. With the cavalry arriving just in time, and brutal courtyard battles (often 3-way) taking places on a regular basis.

lol at the daoc nostalgia blinders.  You can do all of that in GW2 or any other game with ZvZ combat.  Anytime you get a larger group together it's going to zerg.  That's the way people are.  daoc and CU weren't and won't be any different.

actually no you can't. there is no CC, there is no speed class, there is no perma stealth in gw2.

gw2 = zerg vs zerg. you can split off and run small gank grps but nothing on the scale of what we all are talking about.

So you haven't actually played GW2 I take it.  And, really?  perma-stealth and speed class break the zerg?  Good luck with your fantasy.  Tell me how it works out when reality releases the game.  What scale are you even talking about? Imaginary scale?

maybe you should read the rest of this thread or the countless other ones on here. i did play gw2, did you play daoc? because what you could accomplish in an group in DAOC vs. what you can accomplish in group in GW2 is not even close to the same thing. this is not an epeen contest, so not sure why you are trying to make it one. in DAOC you can bust zergs with 1 group or at least kill a large percentage of them through exactly what i said in my last post.

CC/Speed allows for kiting back, or AE bombing (full dmg). like many others have meantioned in this thread, even if you added the cc/speed in....the rez timer has to be fixed to the old style respawn as well. in gw2, there is no speed that any class cannot get if they wanted it (and its still slow as balls) there is also no form of cc outside of a 1-2 second stun or slow. it is the same style for all of the new MMO's in the past years since WoW. It is a care bear game...tailored to noobs and to help them survive long enough and have less down time (while dead).

What happened to the days where if you clumped up for a mez you just got murdered. if someone hits you with an assist train you would be dead within seconds, not have 3-4 people beating on you as you run around trying to escape casting the entire time to stay alive. no need to beat a dead horse here, but i think all of us from the older generation can agree. the games are dulled down to a point where they are just straight up boring. make the games competitve and risk/rewarding again...and the noobs will follow because everyone else is playing it. just my 2cents...

I don't see how having a short downtime or being able to stand against an assist train a short while is carebearing. Nobody likes to get hit by an assist-train and instantly drops down dead, fight over, please release.

I agree with you when you say, not everybody should be able to resurrect other players. There should be primary targets which you have to take out in order to win a fight, like healers. But there should also decent mechanisms for other players, like tanks, to defend these targets.

I aggree with you that mezz and stun should be an option to win a fight against odds, but it should never be a win-button.

MMO's played so far:

if you are a skilled group you can easily take out a crappy zerg in WvW http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzDx6v_yWdA

this holds true for most games though a skilled few can dominate a bunch of poorly played characters. What i like to see is more incentives for running in small groups.. in GW2 a small group of skilled players can steamroll bigger groups but it's always easier to have a much larger group and just steamroll even faster(this is true for most large scale PVP games).. the incentives need to be there to encourage more small group play.

watch any large scale daoc battle its nothing but spell effects everywhere.. Not sure why gw2 gets so much flak about that aspect as daoc had same issue.. Wvw has plenty of issues but don't find spell effects to bad overall compared to other MMOs I have played with large scale battles

Might disagree with you, that video looks like there are 10 people fighting and spell effects look like they are just random

The only crazy spell effects in daoc were spears and hammers and they were high above characters ( didn't get in the way of you seeing yourself ) - Pbaoe might have, but that spell makes a lot of sense as its totally localized.

I dunno just personal preference I guess, i just really don't like that video.

Ozek - DAOC

Originally posted by MightyPit

I don't see how having a short downtime or being able to stand against an assist train a short while is carebearing. Nobody likes to get hit by an assist-train and instantly drops down dead, fight over, please release.

I agree with you when you say, not everybody should be able to resurrect other players. There should be primary targets which you have to take out in order to win a fight, like healers. But there should also decent mechanisms for other players, like tanks, to defend these targets.

I aggree with you that mezz and stun should be an option to win a fight against odds, but it should never be a win-button.

I think it's not whether or not people like to get instantly killed in 4 seconds if 4-5 people are hitting them in the back with hammers, but DONT YOU THINK THEY SHOULD? :) lol I mean come on

If you are able to survive 15 seconds with 4-5 people beating on you, then you're getting massive heals ( makes sense ), or the game is broken. You can't bust zergs ever with that kind of game logic, especially if people whining about mezz lasting too long. You have to be able to kill people fast if you work organized and together ....period.

If you don't want to die instantly with 4-5 people on you, maybe you should play smarter ( positioning ) or ensure you got some heals focused on you and work with your healers ( strategy ).

Pretty sure carebears won't be catered too and both of short down time and being able to stand against an assist train is care bearing.

Ozek - DAOC

• DeanMalincoDeanMalinco overland park, KSPosts: 26Member

i should elaborate more on the assist train part. not trying to sound elitist and that is definately how it sounded in my last reply. i was just trying to say gone are the days of.....seeing the assist train coming towards you, having to call out instantly for pre-heals/peels. if defended well you could survive the train, but if not...you were most certaintely dead (quickly). just trying to introduce more skill back into the game for both sides (offensive/defensive). carebear may have been a harsh description but the fact is...the new MMO generation makes surviving / getting back into the action a LOT easier than it used to be. it is...well....just...boring.

I think it's not whether or not people like to get instantly killed in 4 seconds if 4-5 people are hitting them in the back with hammers, but DONT YOU THINK THEY SHOULD? :) lol I mean come on

If you are able to survive 15 seconds with 4-5 people beating on you, then you're getting massive heals ( makes sense ), or the game is broken. You can't bust zergs ever with that kind of game logic, especially if people whining about mezz lasting too long. You have to be able to kill people fast if you work organized and together ....period.

If you don't want to die instantly with 4-5 people on you, maybe you should play smarter ( positioning ) or ensure you got some heals focused on you and work with your healers ( strategy ).

Pretty sure carebears won't be catered too and both of short down time and being able to stand against an assist train is care bearing.

There's nothing wrong with going down fast when you get hit by 4-5 people and doing NOTHING. But you should be able to dogde, shield yourself, get healed or anything like that. If your assist-train target gets to hard to knock down, choose another one. As a skillful player you will accomplish that ;-)  And please don't whine when you get hit by the zerg-train. Outnumbered fights are supposed to be difficult or impossible. No carebearing here!

And don't missunderstand me. Organized skillful playing should be key to winning a fight. But players in a zerg are not by default unorganized and/or unskilled.

And I still believe that making a game fun to play has nothing to do with carebearing. The defeated player should also have the feeling that this fight was fun, knowing that he had a chance if he did this or that better.

MMO's played so far:

There's nothing wrong with going down fast when you get hit by 4-5 people and doing NOTHING. But you should be able to dogde, shield yourself, get healed or anything like that. If your assist-train target gets to hard to knock down, choose another one. As a skillful player you will accomplish that ;-)  And please don't whine when you get hit by the zerg-train. Outnumbered fights are supposed to be difficult or impossible. No carebearing here!

And don't missunderstand me. Organized skillful playing should be key to winning a fight. But players in a zerg are not by default unorganized and/or unskilled.

And I still believe that making a game fun to play has nothing to do with carebearing. The defeated player should also have the feeling that this fight was fun, knowing that he had a chance if he did this or that better.

1st paragraph ... that's exactly how daoc worked, and I hope they can accomplish that balance in CU.

2nd paragraph ... agreed

3rd paragraph ... There can be too much carebearing done... That's why games end up changing for the worse, look at daoc and wow etc... They have all started carebearing to the masses that whine "this is too hard" " i die too fast" "my class sucks" etc. etc. etc. etc.... You have to limit the amount of carebearing you do because it can and will ruin a game. I don't have that fear as per the FP's.

Ozek - DAOC

Originally posted by DeanMalinco

i should elaborate more on the assist train part. not trying to sound elitist and that is definately how it sounded in my last reply. i was just trying to say gone are the days of.....seeing the assist train coming towards you, having to call out instantly for pre-heals/peels. if defended well you could survive the train, but if not...you were most certaintely dead (quickly). just trying to introduce more skill back into the game for both sides (offensive/defensive). carebear may have been a harsh description but the fact is...the new MMO generation makes surviving / getting back into the action a LOT easier than it used to be. it is...well....just...boring.

Thanks for clarifying that. But I can't aggree with you. Why is a better survivability of all combatants bad? The fight lasts longer. It takes longer for the winner to get the reward. This is a good thing, fighting gets more interesting, not less. The other extreme would be onehits in rvr. I think nobody wants that?

And why is getting back into the action easier a reason to describe the game as boring? While a healer is alive, it is good to bring the others back to action fast. If the healer is down, nobody can resurrect in-fight, and the chances for the other team to win that fight are rising. When the group is wiped, they have to release at a unfighted release spot. This is not too easy to get back into the action. And that's how gw2 wvw is working, beside that everyone can resurrect. But this is nothing I will (and want) see in CU

MMO's played so far:

Better survivability for everyone simply means zerg busting is impossible. Zerg busting for the most part ( in daoc ) was only accomplished when attacked by surprise and killed a lot in chaos before they could organize. If it takes 30 seconds to kill 1 target then sure 8v8 type environments and 200 v 200 get longer / more sustained, but 8v16 would end up being impossible even given the jump / surprise.

There has to be a balance there, and i'm sure that will get organized during beta. Just hopefully it isolates itself at a point where all aspects of the game 1v1 8v8 (assuming group of 8 dont really know ) 8v 16 8v40 100v100 etc.

I really hope pbaoe is a part of this game :o

Ozek - DAOC

if you are a skilled group you can easily take out a crappy zerg in WvW http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzDx6v_yWdA this holds true for most games though a skilled few can dominate a bunch of poorly played characters. What i like to see is more incentives for running in small groups.. in GW2 a small group of skilled players can steamroll bigger groups but it's always easier to have a much larger group and just steamroll even faster(this is true for most large scale PVP games).. the incentives need to be there to encourage more small group play.

Might disagree with you, that video looks like there are 10 people fighting and spell effects look like they are just random

The only crazy spell effects in daoc were spears and hammers and they were high above characters ( didn't get in the way of you seeing yourself ) - Pbaoe might have, but that spell makes a lot of sense as its totally localized.

I dunno just personal preference I guess, i just really don't like that video.

there was a lot more than just the spears

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Yet you could still see all the friendlies and enemies.PS. That video is very post ToA / NF which added a lot of crap heretics / fire wiz wall were both post that era and were worst part of that video.Not to mention there is 10x the amount of people from your video and it still looks cleaner ??Go back pre ToA before posting things about daoc imo.... NF character models were so gross can't believe people played with those enabled :

with culling really no idea how many were in the wvw video:p

Yet you could still see all the friendlies and enemies.

PS. That video is very post ToA / NF which added a lot of crap heretics / fire wiz wall were both post that era and were worst part of that video.

Not to mention there is 10x the amount of people from your video and it still looks cleaner ??

Go back pre ToA before posting things about daoc imo.... NF character models were so gross can't believe people played with those enabled :

Isn't that a problem? lol

Ozek - DAOC

Yet you could still see all the friendlies and enemies. PS. That video is very post ToA / NF which added a lot of crap heretics / fire wiz wall were both post that era and were worst part of that video. Not to mention there is 10x the amount of people from your video and it still looks cleaner ?? Go back pre ToA before posting things about daoc imo.... NF character models were so gross can't believe people played with those enabled :

Isn't that a problem? lol

lol of course it is but supposed to be fixed on the 26th patch..hopefully this game doesn't have as many issues rendering 100+ characters..but even with todays hardware it isn't an easy feat

Which is why i'm sure they will have much more simplistic spell effects.

Think daoc life tap type things, aoe spells that only show one spear at the center of the aoe etc.

Ozek - DAOC

• sweetdigssweetdigs Washington, DCPosts: 196Member

Can't stand pulls.  Hope those aren't implemented.

Would love to see some new spells come into the game that change the way it is played and can impact zergs (but also impact soloists and small groups).

For example, spells such as Tornado, which would move randomly from the caster's or target's location and anybody touched would take damage and fly a random # of feet in one direction.  Drop a tornado in the middle of a zerg and help break up the enemy. 

Same could also be true for an Earthquake type spell that affects a number of folks in an area and has a chance at knocking characters prone.

I also agree with others that PBE effects should never be limited to a certain # of people.  If you're in the range of the spell, you should be affected.  If you want to pack 100 people in as tighly as possible and zerg, well, then you are just setting yourself up all to be hit by a number of firestorms/fireballs/tornadoes/earthquakes or whatever PBE effect is thrown at you.

More area effect spells and abilities would be great, IMHO.

• FoggyeFoggye Portland, ORPosts: 95Member
    Only if they implement a cc immunity timer, because 5+ of those spells chained in an area would be completely insane.   Even in confined areas, it might be a bit silly in mass combat; the ability to throw 30 defenders off a wall.  If it's that good, a lot of people will get it, then it'll feel more like a bad rollercoaster ride then actual combat.
2»