Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What will keep players interesting in leveling to cap?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
In most new age MMOs, the starting community usually never makes it to level cap. They get bored grinding levels and quit the first few month/months. So what's to keep people interested in leveling grinding in TESO? What will this game do differently about leveling that other MMORPGs seem to fail at doing?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    In most new age MMOs, the starting community usually never makes it to level cap. They get bored grinding levels and quit the first few month/months. So what's to keep people interested in leveling grinding in TESO? What will this game do differently about leveling that other MMORPGs seem to fail at doing?

Easy.  They are giving us 3 different leveling paths, per faction.  That's all I need to keep rerolling and enjoying an MMO, it worked with WoW, it will work with TESO.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

I hope the phasing is cool, would be nice to finally have a permanent impact on the game world.

it does phasing, right? So if I cleaned the woods from the werewolves they are permanently gone? (i.e. we get moved to a different instance seamlessly?)

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

I think you should read some of the game info and why the folks who are planning to play are interested in playing. 

Every MMO has a leveling process.  I haven't heard that TESO is flaunting anything "different", as you seem to suggest they need to do.  You go from 1-level cap and have fun along the way.

I think what you need to look at is WHY PEOPLE WANT TO PLAY THE GAME, and that has been answered many, many times.

Elder Scrolls fans who want an online version of that world

DAoC fans who want to dive into a game that is going to a lot of effort to get their attention

..and then there is the rest who just want a new game for whatever reason.

The people that you allude to, the twitchy game-jumpers, are everywhere and nothing can please them.  They'll jump in, rip through the content, complain about everything, then flutter off to the next game and continue with their cycle.   You can't please someone who can't please themselves. 

That is why TESO is aiming for a specific market, and not the generic game-hoppers you suggest should be catered to.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Telondariel

I think you should read some of the game info and why the folks who are planning to play are interested in playing. 

Every MMO has a leveling process.  I haven't heard that TESO is flaunting anything "different", as you seem to suggest they need to do.  You go from 1-level cap and have fun along the way.

I think what you need to look at is WHY PEOPLE WANT TO PLAY THE GAME, and that has been answered many, many times.

DAoC fans who want to dive into a game that is going to a lot of effort to get their attention

The people that you allude to, the twitchy game-jumpers, are everywhere and nothing can please them.  They'll jump in, rip through the content, complain about everything, then flutter off to the next game and continue with their cycle.   You can't please someone who can't please themselves. 

That is why TESO is aiming for a specific market, and not the generic game-hoppers you suggest should be catered to.

but that apply to any new age MMO. But when it comes out, people quit while level grinding. most dont make it to cap.

Same issue plagued WoW, which is why Blizzard revamped the lower level zones to appeal to levelers but that also failed to keep them interested in leveling to cap so they gave them SoR for a free level skip.

Traditional methods have proven to not work in today's age MMO. This may be a more general MMO discussion, but since TESO is the new kid on the block to come out, this also applies.

What would TESO do to keep people interested in leveling to cap and not quiting during the first month/months following launch, that other MMO's have failed to do in today's age?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376

Well for me it's the RvR and territory control at endgame. Also you can keep progressing your character by earning Alliance Points in RvR (like DAOC had Realm Points).

I find games like WoW to be super bland, since at level cap you can't progress at all, other than getting new gear.

• Vorgarag109Vorgarag109 Member UncommonPosts: 14

I do not know for sure but In my Opinion tho.

Character Development/progress is a major key factor.

Also creating a Very Social Enviroment is very important as well. What will keep a person playing a MMO for a long time will most likely come down to Friends/Guild mates.

I don't see a Solo player playing a MMORPG very long if he is playing by himself all the time and avoiding Player interactions.(he will eventually run out of things to do  / reasons to continue playing the game.)

(Naturally you will have players who just quit the game early just cause it wasn't their cup of tea and they didn't look to make sure if it was beforehand always happens.)

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by elocke

Easy.  They are giving us 3 different leveling paths, per faction.  That's all I need to keep rerolling and enjoying an MMO, it worked with WoW, it will work with TESO.

Agreed.  Even though I dabbled in Mid and Hib back when I played Albion in DAoC I felt dirty doing it.  Although today my tastes in MMO gaming have changed drastically, example: Back then I was an avid PvP'er but now-a-days I am almsot exclusively a content seeker, explorer and soloer.  So its going to be nice to have my first 2 alts be entirely new experiences.  I suppose the same could be said for SWTOR, loved the game my first play through since I switched factions after about a month.

As for your main question, exposed, whats to keep anyone playing?  Its a rhetorical question that only each individual person can answer.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• EvolvedMonkyEvolvedMonky Member Posts: 549
    Why does this game sound so much like WAR.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Mixing things up and rewarding players for anything that is fun. Nothing worse then finding an area of game play you love to find out you level 1/2 as fast at it as someone who keeps doing X over and over. Then you feel like you need to do that as well and next thing the game feels washed out and one dimensional.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Originally posted by EvolvedMonky
    Why does this game sound so much like WAR.

Its not, its more a mish mosh of many cool things. DAoC RvR, SWToR VO story, ESO lore and story, Old school open world dungeons. Just to name a few.

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

Unless the game is horrible, I dont think the average player has much to worry about.

The people who should worry are the content locusts, and what they will be occupied with post level cap.

• Yyrkoon_PoMYyrkoon_PoM Member Posts: 150
    Originally posted by Telondariel

but that apply to any new age MMO. But when it comes out, people quit while level grinding. most dont make it to cap.

Same issue plagued WoW, which is why Blizzard revamped the lower level zones to appeal to levelers but that also failed to keep them interested in leveling to cap so they gave them SoR for a free level skip.

Traditional methods have proven to not work in today's age MMO. This may be a more general MMO discussion, but since TESO is the new kid on the block to come out, this also applies.

What would TESO do to keep people interested in leveling to cap and not quiting during the first month/months following launch, that other MMO's have failed to do in today's age?

Doesn't WoW have something like 9M subs ... not sure how you define failed?  I also think the % of accounts that has a max level character is greater than 50% so to say that most did not make it to level cap is also a bit shaky.

I think the developers will sprinkle worhtwhile goals (up to and including (explorable areas (caves, vistas, ruins, ...), epic quests, raids/dungeons, RvR, and worthwhile Crafting) at various levels and reward the players that achieve the level cap with hopefully a good dose of max level content (be it PvE exploration, RvR goodies, Crafting goodness, and Raids).  Hopefully they get housing and other content in after soonish after launch and I think quite a few people would be happy. In the end alot of the success of a game relies on the players and their interactions with each other and the community folks/class designers/crafting guru/producers. Good relationships and communication are just as much a part of a great game as the systems/mechanics are. Some bad apples can really ruin it for alot of people.

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by Yyrkoon_PoM

Doesn't WoW have something like 9M subs ... not sure how you define failed?  I also think the % of accounts that has a max level character is greater than 50% so to say that most did not make it to level cap is also a bit shaky.

I dunno if its quite that high. Back during Wotlk the devs did say that 30% of accounts did not make it past lvl 10. Then you also have to consider the chunk of players that DO make it to cap, and then quit cause they feel they have "beaten" the game.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.