Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: EA CEO John Riccitiello Steps Down

Comments

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Volgore

It's nothing but a PR stunt, and a costly one for EA.

This guy very likely made more money stepping down and up again elsewhere then he would have made if he remained in his position.

So we probably aren't the only ones who like this whole thing...i bet he parties, too.

Yeah, but no more free EA games for him...so...it's not all roses...

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    Originally posted by Psychow

I wonder how many more careers need to be destroyed before the gaming community is satisfied with their bloodlust...

None, once companies stop screwing people over in the name of profit.

Simple solution to this... don't buy what you don't think is good value. But the same gamers that scream the house down at any indiscretrion are the same ones who are so ready to... well my mate Fry has the answer..

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

EA has a very  bad  industry image problem right now. The best way to change it to hire somebody new to EA, preferably well liked/respected person and see how it goes from there.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by Volgore

It's nothing but a PR stunt, and a costly one for EA.

This guy very likely made more money stepping down and up again elsewhere then he would have made if he remained in his position.

So we probably aren't the only ones who like this whole thing...i bet he parties, too.

Yeah, but no more free EA games for him...so...it's not all roses...

Well he has allways got F2P EA games to play but he will have to buy his clips :)

I'm not too bothered about him leaving really , I only play SWTOR and not many sports games. I do like criterion games though but wish they would allow them to make a new burnout , having said that they made the NFS series great again. Anyways , when they find someone new i hope they change this all games should have micro transactions , as we the gamers don't appreciate spending too much extra money , especially in stand alone one player games.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    I see this as great news. But only if they get a good leader that understands gaming and profit. If they get a great CEO this could be a big plus for SWTOR and the next EQ or UO game. But then again I may be wishing on a star.
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Paragus1
    Finally some accountability...

....that really won't change anything, just look at the statements throughout the article by EA, this guy applied the corporate policies/strategies, just like they expect the next guy to. EA has an agenda that won't change simply because the public face of the corporate ladder isn't as familiar or notorious. This will certainly have no impact on their strategy toward expanding DRM avenues or buying up popular franchises/studios.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

EA has a very  bad  industry image problem right now. The best way to change it to hire somebody new to EA, preferably well liked/respected person and see how it goes from there.

Or turn it into a reality tv show for the Next Greatest EA CEO.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Honestly not surprised after SWTOR and SIM5 and ME3 and MOHWA...

The EA hate train has been rolling really, really hard since Ricci took over.

With all due respect, but I can't agree here. First, the outrages against EA are overall not worse than against others, it just seems so, because EA produces simply more games. Also: HELL EA DESERVED IT.

Sorry to yell. Just felt that way. I mean, heck, EA crapped and ruined *every single series* they touched.

EA is like a reverse King Midas. Like to King Midas all things he touched transformed into gold, under EA's hands all gold turns to shit. Dragon Age, Mass Effect, SWTOR, SimCity - all based on the most prosperous and biggest chances to make epic games, partially based on the cool IPs, partially based on the great previous experience.

DA and ME had great first parts. SWTOR had SWG as referrence what people loved in a Star Wars MMO. SimCity had great previous incarnations. And yet, somehow EA managed to turn EVERY SINGLE ONE of them artistically and creatively into shit. At least RELATIVE to their potential. Sure, none of these games under EA were shit, but they were shit in relation to what they COULD and SHOULD have been given the tons of money and tons of previous experience. Nobody has such a big chance to make epic games out of Dragon Age, Mass Effect, SWTOR and SimCity and none screwed so royally.

And the failure was always the same. A vast potential was narrowed down in scope in art and creativity down to a boring, simplistic lowest common denominator. A shallow watering down, playing safe and running behind what some desktop boss thinks is hyper hyper. Best example of what is wrong with EA is how they treated the Ultima RPGs. Ultima VI and VII before EA were EPIC games. But as soon as EA got their hands on Ultima, suddenly Ultima VIII had consolish jump elements. Why? Because  Super Mario was so succesful and EA thought, hey why not add a SuperMario jump element? And to hell if that fits to an Ultima RPG. Same with Ultima IX. At the time 3d with Lara Croft became a success and suddenyl EA thought, hey why not make the new Ultima like Lara Croft in 3d, and to hell if that fits to Ultima. EVERYTHING in Ultima was BROKEN and tossed out of the fucking window to shoehorn Ultima into a Super Mario and then into Lara Croft. THAT is what always HAS been wrong about EA and apparently still IS wrong.

It was the problem with SWTOR. "Oh look, our dialogue heavy KOTOR won awards, let's make the MMO the same way." And to hell with everything people loved about SWG and open world Star Wars MMO. So SW the MMo was forced down the single player story idea, no matter if that made any sense.

It also is now the problem with SIm City 5. "Oh look Farmville and Online Facebook games are so popular, let's shoehorn Sim City into some Facebook-Farmville style game!"

It's always these shitty CEO/Boss/desktop ideas of people who have NO CLUE what made these games great or don't care and shove their absurd ideas into games. That's whats wrong with EA: they totally lack any empathy and respect for their games. They always want to follow some perceived trend, always greedily thinking, oh if we follow THIS trend we will get even MORE money instead of jus the fuck STICK with what was WORKING and being respectful to the game series, but oh no some desktop smartass thinks he knows it ALL better and all must be tossed over and shoehorned into some mindfuck idea.

For EA I can only say, they are not part of the solution, they are the problem!

So if Riccitiello steps back - good riddance. And let him take the entire bosses with him.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by mmoguy43

Not a bad idea...hmm...and...and they could sell each episode on Origin!!

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by mmoguy43

Not a bad idea...hmm...and...and they could sell each episode on Origin!!

The should call it "EA presents: The next top patsy".

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

EA is like an hydra made of shit

Cutting one of the heads wont solve the problem

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849
    I want to know how much he got for stepping down. I also want 1% of that and i'll be happy.

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

And yet the Board of Directors is till in place. The same board he answered to. I don't see much changing in EA's future...

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• GMan33GMan33 Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Imagine the gaming world without EA (Satan).....
  • ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

I wonder how many more careers need to be destroyed before the gaming community is satisfied with their bloodlust...

You have to forgive some of the people who make up the gaming community because what this guy made for "resigning" is more than they get for a lifetime at their McJob. Envy is pretty contagious around these parts ;)

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Maybe he is going to brew his own beer together with the (Ex-)Bioware doctors

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• SagasaintSagasaint Member UncommonPosts: 466
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

And yet the Board of Directors is till in place. The same board he answered to. I don't see much changing in EA's future...

pretty much this.  a new suit will replace the old one soon enough, yet EA's business antics will remain exactly the same

anyone who thinks JR was the cause of EA going full retard and without him there is light at the end of the tunnel should go get his head checked.

• uller30uller30 Member UncommonPosts: 125

If only the CEO leaving would fix alot of the issues from EA.   There have been horror stories since 2002 and how EA ruinend people's live.  I dont get the new hate they Company was just failing hard since they started feeding their money from the MWF and NFS. Since then its a crap shoot of a company and I have not supported them.  Look at bioware that company has hit the fucksvile since they got taken and 'their' founders left.

Can only say GTFO EA, ur messing it up for every one else.

Originally posted by Elikal

With all due respect, but I can't agree here. First, the outrages against EA are overall not worse than against others, it just seems so, because EA produces simply more games. Also: HELL EA DESERVED IT.

Sorry to yell. Just felt that way. I mean, heck, EA crapped and ruined *every single series* they touched.

EA is like a reverse King Midas. Like to King Midas all things he touched transformed into gold, under EA's hands all gold turns to shit. Dragon Age, Mass Effect, SWTOR, SimCity - all based on the most prosperous and biggest chances to make epic games, partially based on the cool IPs, partially based on the great previous experience.

DA and ME had great first parts. SWTOR had SWG as referrence what people loved in a Star Wars MMO. SimCity had great previous incarnations. And yet, somehow EA managed to turn EVERY SINGLE ONE of them artistically and creatively into shit. At least RELATIVE to their potential. Sure, none of these games under EA were shit, but they were shit in relation to what they COULD and SHOULD have been given the tons of money and tons of previous experience. Nobody has such a big chance to make epic games out of Dragon Age, Mass Effect, SWTOR and SimCity and none screwed so royally.

And the failure was always the same. A vast potential was narrowed down in scope in art and creativity down to a boring, simplistic lowest common denominator. A shallow watering down, playing safe and running behind what some desktop boss thinks is hyper hyper. Best example of what is wrong with EA is how they treated the Ultima RPGs. Ultima VI and VII before EA were EPIC games. But as soon as EA got their hands on Ultima, suddenly Ultima VIII had consolish jump elements. Why? Because  Super Mario was so succesful and EA thought, hey why not add a SuperMario jump element? And to hell if that fits to an Ultima RPG. Same with Ultima IX. At the time 3d with Lara Croft became a success and suddenyl EA thought, hey why not make the new Ultima like Lara Croft in 3d, and to hell if that fits to Ultima. EVERYTHING in Ultima was BROKEN and tossed out of the fucking window to shoehorn Ultima into a Super Mario and then into Lara Croft. THAT is what always HAS been wrong about EA and apparently still IS wrong.

It was the problem with SWTOR. "Oh look, our dialogue heavy KOTOR won awards, let's make the MMO the same way." And to hell with everything people loved about SWG and open world Star Wars MMO. So SW the MMo was forced down the single player story idea, no matter if that made any sense.

It also is now the problem with SIm City 5. "Oh look Farmville and Online Facebook games are so popular, let's shoehorn Sim City into some Facebook-Farmville style game!"

It's always these shitty CEO/Boss/desktop ideas of people who have NO CLUE what made these games great or don't care and shove their absurd ideas into games. That's whats wrong with EA: they totally lack any empathy and respect for their games. They always want to follow some perceived trend, always greedily thinking, oh if we follow THIS trend we will get even MORE money instead of jus the fuck STICK with what was WORKING and being respectful to the game series, but oh no some desktop smartass thinks he knows it ALL better and all must be tossed over and shoehorned into some mindfuck idea.

So if Riccitiello steps back - good riddance. And let him take the entire bosses with him.

Elikal, SWG was one of the biggest flops in MMO history but still fanboys bang on about how it was such an "awesome" game, it wasn't. Why would anyone in their right mind copy a complete fuck up of a game? it doesn't matter that you and a few others cannot get over the fact that its gone, you don't copy a bad idea just because... though its still playble if you know where to look. The vast majority of gamers do not want to play Luke's uncle the boring moisture farmer, Theed City Architect or Twi'lek frigging dancers but millions love playing story driven games like KOTOR, Mass Effect and Dragon Age so which format would you copy?

The problems with SW:TOR was the scope of the project and the crappy engine they bought not the fact that it wasn't SWG2 but Bioware and Riccitello promised WoW profits and the EA board did not see any such thing add to that the outcry of ME3, DA2's failings, the recent Sim City cock ups and the past few years of losing money the board thought it was probably time for a change. 

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

Well, I don't think the problem with their game was being dialogue heavy as anyone who did any research and actually played it would have expected a "voiced bioware game". They gave exactly what they said they would give. Which by the way, if memory serves, is something I remember you posting about; how you prefer voice overs and not reading text. You can correct me if I'm wrong about that.

Their issue with SWToR is that, after the story content, there really isn't much to do. Couple that with the set pieces that are their worlds (bioware has always made set pieces) and a botched job with their pvp world and after one finishes their story they essentially "finish the game". Unless they are interested in alts.

In any case, I'm not too fond with how EA does things, even if their games are popular. I'm sure this guy will get his golden parachute, fire up the good ol' boys club and be employed shortly. If he so desires.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    Is F2P working for SWTOR?

Yes, talking about money for EA and BW, it is a huge success. 

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Calerxes

Elikal, SWG was one of the biggest flops in MMO history but still fanboys bang on about how it was such an "awesome" game, it wasn't. Why would anyone in their right mind copy a complete fuck up of a game? it doesn't matter that you and a few others cannot get over the fact that its gone, you don't copy a bad idea just because... though its still playble if you know where to look. The vast majority of gamers do not want to play Luke's uncle the boring moisture farmer, Theed City Architect or Twi'lek frigging dancers but millions love playing story driven games like KOTOR, Mass Effect and Dragon Age so which format would you copy?

The problems with SW:TOR was the scope of the project and the crappy engine they bought not the fact that it wasn't SWG2 but Bioware and Riccitello promised WoW profits and the EA board did not see any such thing add to that the outcry of ME3, DA2's failings, the recent Sim City cock ups and the past few years of losing money the board thought it was probably time for a change. 

I am not talking about some crude things like money, I am talking about CREATIVITY, I am talking about DREAMS. SWG was a roaring success. Creativity-wise. People who played it, loved and and we SWG players still live from the memories! It shaped people! SWG was, in terms of creativity one of the greatest MMOs since UO. But it was lacking, yes.

But what did Bioware do? Did they take the good parts of SWG and expand on it? No, Bioware-EA did what they always do: they tossed EVERYTHING out of the window and started with their own absurd idea to shoehorn a SW MMO into their KOTOR concept. Nobody wanted SWTOR to be SWG2, but LEARN what was good, adopt those concepts which were good, not totally IGNORE EVERYTHING! You see there is a way between "copy SWG" and totally ignore it!

A VAST number actually loved playing Uncle Owen. 5 million Farmville players loved playing Uncle Owen. 80% of Ultima Online's players loved playing Uncle Owen, had a farm, a shop and were VERY happy with just that! But I wrote that 200 times, and apparently humans simply do not learn.

And so we are like in Groundhog Day. Doomed to see the same failures over and over again.

ENJOY!

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

what did Bioware do? Did they take the good parts of SWG and expand on it? No, Bioware-EA did what they always do: they tossed EVERYTHING out of the window and started with their own absurd idea to shoehorn a SW MMO into their KOTOR concept.

personally i found this past comment troubling pre-SWTOR release

BioWare co-founder Greg Zeschuk 

Feb 2011, a year before SWTOR released

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/02/10/bioware-wow-is-the-touchstone-for-the-old-republic/
    [World of Warcraft] is a touchstone. It has established standards, it's established how you play an MMO. Every MMO that comes out, I play and look at it. And if they break any of the WoW rules, in my book that's pretty dumb," Zeschuk said.

Originally posted by Calerxes
    sNAPPER!.

I am not talking about some crude things like money, I am talking about CREATIVITY, I am talking about DREAMS. SWG was a roaring success. Creativity-wise. People who played it, loved and and we SWG players still live from the memories! It shaped people! SWG was, in terms of creativity one of the greatest MMOs since UO. But it was lacking, yes.

But what did Bioware do? Did they take the good parts of SWG and expand on it? No, Bioware-EA did what they always do: they tossed EVERYTHING out of the window and started with their own absurd idea to shoehorn a SW MMO into their KOTOR concept. Nobody wanted SWTOR to be SWG2, but LEARN what was good, adopt those concepts which were good, not totally IGNORE EVERYTHING! You see there is a way between "copy SWG" and totally ignore it!

A VAST number actually loved playing Uncle Owen. 5 million Farmville players loved playing Uncle Owen. 80% of Ultima Online's players loved playing Uncle Owen, had a farm, a shop and were VERY happy with just that! But I wrote that 200 times, and apparently humans simply do not learn.

And so we are like in Groundhog Day. Doomed to see the same failures over and over again.

ENJOY!

If you truly believe any of that no wonder you are eternally miserable with whatever game you play. Mass Effect creatively captured the imagination of millions of players, SWG did not, infact it pissed hundreds of thousands off, so they left and SOE made radical changes because of this, yeah I'd say it was a roaring succes creatively. Also read Sovraths post he said it more eloquently than me, what you are proposing would have been an even worse fate than what SW:TOR already suffered. Stop living in the past SWG was a failed experiment and should be shown in any game development classes as to what not to do with a famous franchise. And modern MMO's are making more money and being played by more players than ever before, yep what miserable failures.