Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you play...

2»

Comments

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

Probably not.  Esthetics are important.  While gameplay is more important, if I don't like the way my character looks or moves, I will always be irritated by it, which would mean I am always irritated with the game.

Now if you can blend thoe graphics in a way that looks nice (looks nice to me that is) I would consider it.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by grvmpybear
    Thanks for your feedback, koboldfodder. This decision is a style choice, not a lack of ability. I love this look, and I'm sure there are others who feel very similarly, even if it's a very niche market. Also, there is no game like what I have in mind currently on the marktet.
    The first game that came to my mind was Minecraft. While it is not typically considered an MMO, there are some servers. I tried playing it but the graphics were just too bad for me to get interested.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013
    Are we talking about something like Baldur's gate 2 style graficks here? If yes it would be bareable. Sure majority i think values most good gameplay but decent graficks are welcomed too nowdays.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Aeolyn

Some examples to refresh everyone's memories:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqJ5x8ePPpI 8 bit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l06rRIeCTws 16 bit

I'm glad you posted that, because it reminded me that 16-bit wasn't all that bad.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    If a sandbox MMO were to be released that met or surpassed your gameplay standards, but was implemented in an 8 or 16 bit graphical style, would you play it?

Not no but hell no.  First off I have grown to understand the majority of sandboxer's are the Hipsters of the genre, where their elitest no-all attitudes ruin more communities then not.  I imagine those are the sorts of players who sit around making fun of things like Nickleback, Walmart and McDonalds on other forums.

Now I am not adverse to many elements of the sandbox as long as it focuses on PvE and combat as the main game systems in place.  FFA PvP, crafting centric loot systemwith no regards to dropped items and Buidling/farming and other menial chores are not why I play a MMO for.  Give me the things I want in a good PvE world and yes it must include "fair to midling" graphics to be on my list of games to play.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

There are enough fun games with good graphics and gameplay.

There is no point is sacrificing one or the other. So, no.

• AeolynAeolyn Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Aeolyn

Some examples to refresh everyone's memories:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqJ5x8ePPpI 8 bit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l06rRIeCTws 16 bit

I'm glad you posted that, because it reminded me that 16-bit wasn't all that bad.

Here's a few more http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syDmvF8KH6M and  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcxc592yS8Q and then a couple from my fave Lunar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syDmvF8KH6M and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZUh3QMv31E and yea sure they're dated but most are still more fun to play than the majority of games I've tried over the last few years.  Oh and they actually have some ribald humour, they may even fall under mature nowadays.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Low textured frame by frame action combat, I would be impressed if anyone could pull this off with 8bit or 16bit.
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Graphics aren't everything, but they are important or money wouldn't be spent on trying to improve them.

So no, I wouldn't play.

Nor would I date Honey Boo-Boo's mom..even if she had a great personality...

• grvmpybeargrvmpybear Member Posts: 90
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    If a sandbox MMO were to be released that met or surpassed your gameplay standards, but was implemented in an 8 or 16 bit graphical style, would you play it?

Not no but hell no.  First off I have grown to understand the majority of sandboxer's are the Hipsters of the genre, where their elitest no-all attitudes ruin more communities then not.  I imagine those are the sorts of players who sit around making fun of things like Nickleback, Walmart and McDonalds on other forums.

Now I am not adverse to many elements of the sandbox as long as it focuses on PvE and combat as the main game systems in place.  FFA PvP, crafting centric loot systemwith no regards to dropped items and Buidling/farming and other menial chores are not why I play a MMO for.  Give me the things I want in a good PvE world and yes it must include "fair to midling" graphics to be on my list of games to play.

Sounds to me like you, sir, are unaware of the true definition of a sandbox. It also sounds like you've had some bad experiences that have left you bitter. I appreciate your input, and I understand this style of graphics not being your cup of tea, but I don't think you need to stereotype and insult the sandbox playerbase.

This game will have PVE, but will also be very crafting centric. If that's not your thing, that's fine. Also, your definition of "fair to midling" graphics most likely varies from other people's opinions. As stated before, pixel graphics can look fantastic.

Also, Nickleback does suck. :)

Currently playing: GW2 (Maguuma), DAoC (Uthgard), & Aion
    Waiting For / Watching: TUG, CU, Black Desert, Archeage,Wildstar, and ESO.

Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Thanks for your feedback, koboldfodder. This decision is a style choice, not a lack of ability. I love this look, and I'm sure there are others who feel very similarly, even if it's a very niche market. Also, there is no game like what I have in mind currently on the marktet.

The first game that came to my mind was Minecraft. While it is not typically considered an MMO, there are some servers. I tried playing it but the graphics were just too bad for me to get interested.

Minecraft is far from 8 bit. The texturing is 8 bit, but blown way up. Minecraft is a voxel game, and once again, those voxels are huge compared to most other voxel-style games.

Originally posted by Psychow

Graphics aren't everything, but they are important or money wouldn't be spent on trying to improve them.

So no, I wouldn't play.

Nor would I date Honey Boo-Boo's mom..even if she had a great personality...

Fair enough. I suppose that makes me a chubby-chaser then. (No, I don't find Honey Boo-Boo's mom attractive, but in reference to your metaphor...) 

I understand these are older style graphics, but there are fantastic pixelers out there. Pixeling is somewhat of an art, so I wouldn't say that there wouldn't be any improvement... it just won't be a 3d render.

Picture playing in an isometric world resembling this.

EDIT: Fixed link.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • BahamutKaiserBahamutKaiser Member UncommonPosts: 314

I would definetely accept isometric gameplay if the game mechanics were superb and interesting. But I do not believe you have to roll all the way back to 8 and 16 bit graphics, hell, warcraft and starcraft editors have better graphics than that, there are a lot of resources floating around and its not that hard to process isometric gameplay, even D3 had subpar visuals, despite how good it looks its not demanding much graphically.

I'd like to start daubling in some designs myself, and isometric is probably where I'll start if I do. Most MMO style games are operating in a two dimentional space anyway, despite the graphics, and dumbing down the graphics makes it easier to deliver content and do unique things. Hopefully I'll find some good resources for game generating soon, good luck to anyone else as well.

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, if they get angry, they'll be a mile away... and barefoot.