Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The ONE thing I don't want to see from DAOC......

2»

Comments

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by samvenice

LOL @ failtanks whining about casters in a game where:

1. every dmg spell "that matters" must be cast while standing still or it fails and you can't cast for a few secs;
    2. there is hard interrupt that locks down a caster forever just by looking at it - no setback, no "run and gun".
    Apart from the obvious swings and fotms, daoc archtypes were decently balanced.
    If anything, can discuss about realm balance (not talking about numbers) in some cases, but certainly the "omg im and I suck vs pls nerf" was laughable back then, it's laughable now.

Use Tactics! (couldn't resist!) ^_^

Hard interrupt for casters? Locks down forever? What would this be, exactly? Armsmen didn'thave a ranged interrupt. And with pulsing blade turn and quick cast, there was no melee interrupt either.

Originally posted by Rhoklaw
    Originally posted by grimjakk
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

And I'll add another thing I never want to see. /level 20. It did more damage to the game than almost any other feature.

Which a LOT of people pointed out at the time.  Those who weren't busy flooding the battlegrounds and Darkness Falls with their new flavor-of-the-week alts.

Because it took a whole 2 hours to get power leveled to 20, it just made sense to let everyone have access to it. /level 20 or for low pop servers /level 30 was not a problem and allowed people to bypass lower level shenanigans in hopes of enjoying some higher level BG fun quickly. Let's face it, aside from BG's, DAoC was not known for its quest storyline quality or PvE in general. DAoC was fun because of RvR which is another reason the /level system was implemented. However, lets not forget, people who did use that didn't benefit from the extra stealth that power leveled toons received.

Actually, DAoC had perfect balance between its very good PvE, PvP, and crafting. ToA and /level 20broke that.

Can you gobs seriously not see the damage done by making it so that ALL the newbie areas were totally empty of veterans? In a game that had no tutorial, vets leveling up and showing newbs the ropes is what kept players playing the game. Idiots.

• Niix_OzekNiix_Ozek Member Posts: 397
    Originally posted by shaodrin
    Originally posted by Niix_Ozek

I don't want to see instances. Or 9 second stuns that last long enough to get a heavy tank killed before his purge even goes off... It would be nice if you could attune armor to be more magic resistant than melee resistant. It would have to be distinctive, so that plate clad tanks would go after the tanks in weaker magic resistant armor, and casters would be able to see if their target is decked out with resists.

But I just want an OPTION for tanks to have SOME HOPE against casters, unlike they did in DAoC.

This makes no sense ... If you have purge and can't get it off over a 9 second stun you have more problems than game mechanics.

Tanks always had hope against casters in daoc lol, you had high Hit point, before casting speed % increase a tank could catch a caster easy and with stuns / snares / interuptable spells deal with them handedly.

You seem confused. Either that or you didn't play after ToA.

ToA inflated casters ability to do damage far beyond what they should have been. It also made them beefier and harder to kill once in melee.

Purge I takes about 2-3 seconds to actually go off. After ToA, casters (looking at you enchanters) were so overpowered that they could drop a heavy tank in those 3 seconds. An armsman, with buffs and high hit points went from full health to dead, before purge could go off.

They fixed this, in a sloppy way, about 3-4 years after the fact.

And I'll add another thing I never want to see. /level 20. It did more damage to the game than almost any other feature.

I played after ToA, but pretty sure 95% of the people that want CU are ones that loathed the TOA expansion so should disregard a lot of content after that mistake of an expansion.

Purge took 5 seconds to go off, and if you used it on a 9 sec stun, maybe that was a mistake? Not to mention caster stuns lasted half a second on tanks, and like i said Toa and %cast speed 25% and dmg/etc 10% was a real problem that made casters >> tanks, but tanks/ melee still played major roles and 1 on 1 could take out a caster easy.

Shouldn't talk about aspects of the game that were already broken because of ToA, everyone agrees is was a bad expnasion that really ruined the game.

PS you should prob have got purge 2... and purge 1 took 5 seconds to go off.

This is all nor hear nor there, 9 seconds was a long ass melee stun that to avoid people whining should lower max stuns to 5 seconds, but it also encourages people stragically thinking about positioning as to not get caught in a 9 second stun.

I think tanks anytime 9sec stun ( slam ) was what made them so amazing in pvp, and it was because the stun was 9 seconds. Interuptable spells handles a lot of these issues, as it should be your teams responsibility to not let casters start pbaoeing your tank after getting caught in a 9sec stun.

You could also spend your realm points to increase magic resistance. Also its a rock paper scissors game there will always be situations similar to your complaint, just have to work as a team to counter it.

I don't know where you're getting the "stuns last 1 second on tanks" because that wasn't the case when I played (stopped around 2006).

The 9 second stun that tanks could do with shield bash had drawbacks. The most obvious is, you had to get in melee range, which was a huge challenge due to the massive amounts of CC that could get thrown in your way. And it only takes one stun, as I said, to kill a tank if you were a DD class. The second is, you had to put precious spec points into shield, which meant you were gimped against other tanks more often than not, who specced in two handed weapons.

Whereas a caster 9 second stun had a huge range, and required little to no skill to get off. Even if you snuck up on a caster in melee range, they'd have a blade turn that would block your first hit, then they could quick cast their 9 second stun. And 90% of the time they wouldn't use those moments to run, they'd just stand there in melee range, and blow you away with nukes, knowing they'd kill you before purge even had a chance to go off. Usually.

Without a proper group to support you, Armsmen had a DISMAL experience in RvR. The problem was, not many people ever wanted Armsmen in their groups.

the mathematics 9sec stun against det5 stoi 50% main resi tank= 9*0,5=4,5*0,3(det+stoi)=1,35sec ...

so your stun lasted 1,4 sec(daoc rounded to full 0,x) tell me a single caster who was able to kill a 2500 hp tank with full resis in 1,4 sec's ? a normal 2,8 sec cast needed like 1,2 sec with 10% cast speed and 375dex breakingpoint so you were able to cast at the tank standing infront of you 1 time ... i realy want to see that crit makeing a 350 dmg nuke(and for your enchanter nuking with a baseline nuke even less if its without a debuff) to a 2500+ nuke

daoc was balanced for group play and it was pretty well balanced most of the time and yeah melees needed some backup with rupts to get to a caster but when they hit that caster he dropped realy fast without heals

realy dont blame a system for your faults ... and since you told us that you needed 2-3 secs to purge(pressing a single button) well u know what i mean

Is this an alt account of the same guy, or just a troll? You can't say "Well stuns only last 1 second!" and then come back with "well,if you have all this hard to get stuff they last 1 second!" And purge has a built in 3 second delay, unless you get purge 3, which is again,difficult when you aren't able to kill anything. ToA changed the game and made casters gods.

Don't make idiotic assumptions when it is pretty clear you never played the game, much less the class.

This is a different person I assure you, but he's entirely correct lol. Just because you didn't put points into det ( det 4 was sufficient for rvr, which required like r4l4 or something. It's no ones fault you wern't able to kill anything, I fought hundreds of dangerous feared armsmen in my DAOC time, i'm sorry you wern't one of them :

50 pole, 42 shield, 39 weapon rest parry was just fine spec for an armsmen, and didn't gimp you one bit.

Aso everyone one this forum agrees ToA killed the game so complaining about post ToA casters is beating a dead horse, I believe I told you that.

No ones making idiotic assumptions, and from any comments you're linking its clear everyone talking to you has played the game, the class, and knows quite a bit more than you. That's fine we're just trying to educate you. I played an armsman just fine for almost a year ( half on the classic server and half when it got merged back to ToA ) and I never once felt "gimped" or "under welmed" So I will disagree with all your counter productive claims about the class and mechanics based on your false game mechanics understanding.

Ozek - DAOC
    Niix - Other games that sucked

Originally posted by shaodrin

I don't want to see instances. Or 9 second stuns that last long enough to get a heavy tank killed before his purge even goes off... It would be nice if you could attune armor to be more magic resistant than melee resistant. It would have to be distinctive, so that plate clad tanks would go after the tanks in weaker magic resistant armor, and casters would be able to see if their target is decked out with resists.

But I just want an OPTION for tanks to have SOME HOPE against casters, unlike they did in DAoC.

This makes no sense ... If you have purge and can't get it off over a 9 second stun you have more problems than game mechanics.

Tanks always had hope against casters in daoc lol, you had high Hit point, before casting speed % increase a tank could catch a caster easy and with stuns / snares / interuptable spells deal with them handedly.

You seem confused. Either that or you didn't play after ToA.

ToA inflated casters ability to do damage far beyond what they should have been. It also made them beefier and harder to kill once in melee.

Purge I takes about 2-3 seconds to actually go off. After ToA, casters (looking at you enchanters) were so overpowered that they could drop a heavy tank in those 3 seconds. An armsman, with buffs and high hit points went from full health to dead, before purge could go off.

They fixed this, in a sloppy way, about 3-4 years after the fact.

I played after ToA, but pretty sure 95% of the people that want CU are ones that loathed the TOA expansion so should disregard a lot of content after that mistake of an expansion.

Purge took 5 seconds to go off, and if you used it on a 9 sec stun, maybe that was a mistake? Not to mention caster stuns lasted half a second on tanks, and like i said Toa and %cast speed 25% and dmg/etc 10% was a real problem that made casters >> tanks, but tanks/ melee still played major roles and 1 on 1 could take out a caster easy.

Shouldn't talk about aspects of the game that were already broken because of ToA, everyone agrees is was a bad expnasion that really ruined the game.

PS you should prob have got purge 2... and purge 1 took 5 seconds to go off.

This is all nor hear nor there, 9 seconds was a long ass melee stun that to avoid people whining should lower max stuns to 5 seconds, but it also encourages people stragically thinking about positioning as to not get caught in a 9 second stun.

I think tanks anytime 9sec stun ( slam ) was what made them so amazing in pvp, and it was because the stun was 9 seconds. Interuptable spells handles a lot of these issues, as it should be your teams responsibility to not let casters start pbaoeing your tank after getting caught in a 9sec stun.

You could also spend your realm points to increase magic resistance. Also its a rock paper scissors game there will always be situations similar to your complaint, just have to work as a team to counter it.

I don't know where you're getting the "stuns last 1 second on tanks" because that wasn't the case when I played (stopped around 2006).

The 9 second stun that tanks could do with shield bash had drawbacks. The most obvious is, you had to get in melee range, which was a huge challenge due to the massive amounts of CC that could get thrown in your way. And it only takes one stun, as I said, to kill a tank if you were a DD class. The second is, you had to put precious spec points into shield, which meant you were gimped against other tanks more often than not, who specced in two handed weapons.

Whereas a caster 9 second stun had a huge range, and required little to no skill to get off. Even if you snuck up on a caster in melee range, they'd have a blade turn that would block your first hit, then they could quick cast their 9 second stun. And 90% of the time they wouldn't use those moments to run, they'd just stand there in melee range, and blow you away with nukes, knowing they'd kill you before purge even had a chance to go off. Usually.

Without a proper group to support you, Armsmen had a DISMAL experience in RvR. The problem was, not many people ever wanted Armsmen in their groups.

the mathematics 9sec stun against det5 stoi 50% main resi tank= 9*0,5=4,5*0,3(det+stoi)=1,35sec ...

so your stun lasted 1,4 sec(daoc rounded to full 0,x) tell me a single caster who was able to kill a 2500 hp tank with full resis in 1,4 sec's ? a normal 2,8 sec cast needed like 1,2 sec with 10% cast speed and 375dex breakingpoint so you were able to cast at the tank standing infront of you 1 time ... i realy want to see that crit makeing a 350 dmg nuke(and for your enchanter nuking with a baseline nuke even less if its without a debuff) to a 2500+ nuke

daoc was balanced for group play and it was pretty well balanced most of the time and yeah melees needed some backup with rupts to get to a caster but when they hit that caster he dropped realy fast without heals

realy dont blame a system for your faults ... and since you told us that you needed 2-3 secs to purge(pressing a single button) well u know what i mean

Is this an alt account of the same guy, or just a troll? You can't say "Well stuns only last 1 second!" and then come back with "well,if you have all this hard to get stuff they last 1 second!" And purge has a built in 3 second delay, unless you get purge 3, which is again,difficult when you aren't able to kill anything. ToA changed the game and made casters gods.

Don't make idiotic assumptions when it is pretty clear you never played the game, much less the class.

This is a different person I assure you, but he's entirely correct lol. Just because you didn't put points into det ( det 4 was sufficient for rvr, which required like r4l4 or something. It's no ones fault you wern't able to kill anything, I fought hundreds of dangerous feared armsmen in my DAOC time, i'm sorry you wern't one of them :

50 pole, 42 shield, 39 weapon rest parry was just fine spec for an armsmen, and didn't gimp you one bit.

Aso everyone one this forum agrees ToA killed the game so complaining about post ToA casters is beating a dead horse, I believe I told you that.

No ones making idiotic assumptions, and from any comments you're linking its clear everyone talking to you has played the game, the class, and knows quite a bit more than you. That's fine we're just trying to educate you. I played an armsman just fine for almost a year ( half on the classic server and half when it got merged back to ToA ) and I never once felt "gimped" or "under welmed" So I will disagree with all your counter productive claims about the class and mechanics based on your false game mechanics understanding.

You fought pre ToA armsmen. I played pre and post ToA Armsmen for 7 years.

You are outright WRONG about this. And you keep backpeddling instead of admitting it. The fact that hybrid was the ONLY slightly viable spec helps point the problem.

Det and Purge 3 require a ton of RPs, which are hard to get when you're an unpopular class that can get killed in 3 secs by almost all ToA casters.

You didn't point out anything i'm wrong about... so please enlighten me.

Hero got moose

arms got plate

warriors got 2hand in their 1 hand spec line

That's how it worked, heros and arms wern't gimped at all. That's such a cop out.

ToA Casters could 3 shot anything if you got debuffed, whaaa whaaa that's just how the game worked. You are trying to single armsmen out for being gimped and they never were... not to mention they were a defensive character so if you're getting 3 shot you're likely in wrong position lol

Ozek - DAOC

• KiyonoriKiyonori Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Originally posted by Rhoklaw

Which a LOT of people pointed out at the time.  Those who weren't busy flooding the battlegrounds and Darkness Falls with their new flavor-of-the-week alts.

Because it took a whole 2 hours to get power leveled to 20, it just made sense to let everyone have access to it. /level 20 or for low pop servers /level 30 was not a problem and allowed people to bypass lower level shenanigans in hopes of enjoying some higher level BG fun quickly. Let's face it, aside from BG's, DAoC was not known for its quest storyline quality or PvE in general. DAoC was fun because of RvR which is another reason the /level system was implemented. However, lets not forget, people who did use that didn't benefit from the extra stealth that power leveled toons received.

It basically killed the game for newer players, players who wouldn't have the higher level contacts to PL them.

• VargurVargur Member CommonPosts: 143

Hero got moose

arms got plate

That's how it worked, heros and arms wern't gimped at all. That's such a cop out.

ToA Casters could 3 shot anything if you got debuffed, whaaa whaaa that's just how the game worked. You are trying to single armsmen out for being gimped and they never were... not to mention they were a defensive character so if you're getting 3 shot you're likely in wrong position lol

The fact that casters could 3-shot the toughest class in game should be a concern, especially when three spells took all of 4.2 seconds (if calculations earlier in thread are correct). Armsmen were not known for their speed across the plains.

Now, the ONE thing I don't want to see is NF with all its "wonders".

Originally posted by Vargur

Hero got moose

arms got plate

The fact that casters could 3-shot the toughest class in game should be a concern, especially when three spells took all of 4.2 seconds (if calculations earlier in thread are correct). Armsmen were not known for their speed across the plains.

Most casters couldn't 3 shot Armsmen, lets make that clear. Also keep in mind if you caught a caster as an arms you could slam / 2 shot them with your pole so it is jsut how the system worked not saying it was the best, but it was balanced.

RR10 casters with talents in spell damage, 10% spell damage etc. could with debuffed.

Red resist debuffs were huge and would allot 600+ damage spells which could 3 shot armsman, granted that arms prob has red str/con debuff dropping his hits etc.

There are a lot of factors good players utilized to be able to 3 shot classes, some just got insane with the ToA Bonuses.

Ozek - DAOC

• VargurVargur Member CommonPosts: 143

Hero got moose

arms got plate

Most casters couldn't 3 shot Armsmen, lets make that clear. Also keep in mind if you caught a caster as an arms you could slam / 2 shot them with your pole so it is jsut how the system worked not saying it was the best, but it was balanced.

RR10 casters with talents in spell damage, 10% spell damage etc. could with debuffed.

Red resist debuffs were huge and would allot 600+ damage spells which could 3 shot armsman, granted that arms prob has red str/con debuff dropping his hits etc.

There are a lot of factors good players utilized to be able to 3 shot classes, some just got insane with the ToA Bonuses.

Truth to be told, I didn't see many Armsmen in NF post-ToA, so the exact number of spells needed to drop them is uncertain. Might be 5 or maybe 6.

Problem with the Armsman's (warriors and heroes also) slam/pole 2-shot is two folded:

1. You had to get to melee range, with casters with snares/mez/stun to give them additional time to get off the necessary spells.

2. Blade turn and Brittle guards negated the slams, making it time consuming to get slam off.

The point is that spell damage was not subject to the DPS limitations melee was checked by, making spell damage very potent in comparison to melee.

• neutroflneutrofl Member Posts: 2
    I know, DAoC never had them (luckily), but WAR had a lot of knockbacks. If I ever see a single knockback in CU I will quit and never come back. So f*ing annoying...
  • BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472

/assist

make people work, dont let a /macro make it easier for them.

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR

• ArzhAngelArzhAngel Member Posts: 427
    stealther/ and or stealth attacks.
  • naezgulnaezgul Member Posts: 374
    Melee attacks that hit 360 degrees or everyonein a cone.....cheesy
  • BrixonBrixon Member UncommonPosts: 259
    No buff-bots. Buffs should have a range limit. If you want to use a buff-bot then you should have to drag it around the frontiers with you, no more parking them at the port keeps.

Hero got moose

arms got plate

Truth to be told, I didn't see many Armsmen in NF post-ToA, so the exact number of spells needed to drop them is uncertain. Might be 5 or maybe 6.

Problem with the Armsman's (warriors and heroes also) slam/pole 2-shot is two folded:

1. You had to get to melee range, with casters with snares/mez/stun to give them additional time to get off the necessary spells.

2. Blade turn and Brittle guards negated the slams, making it time consuming to get slam off.

The point is that spell damage was not subject to the DPS limitations melee was checked by, making spell damage very potent in comparison to melee.

lol

Why do you keep talking about ToA, ToA broke the game made casters stronger / faster / harder to interupt. The game isn't as good post ToA as it was pre ToA.

Either way i'll answer your two points :

1 ) Oh no you had to get into melee range? what ever should a MELEE character do? mezz/snare/stun were this games control, applied by their team meaning if you can't get to their casters they are clearly better than you and your team. Not to mention one little spell cast on that caster makes him unable to cast said spell on you, DAOC was a team game all about control, it just sounds like you've never played a caster in DAOC.

2 ) if you hit Blade Turn then they can't cast on you, if they QC stun, before they turn around on a det4 tank you have already caught back up to him ... really don't get how BT and brittle guards is a complaint, not to mention you dont slam a brittle guard you auto attack it  a couple times, if you're attacking them they can't attack you

I don't even know why i'm posting about this, it sounds likea  troll ... ugh am I being trolled?

Ozek - DAOC

• grimjakkgrimjakk Member Posts: 192

No "Green Bar of Madness and Despair" forcing a slow down to crafting, please.  If crafting need to be paced to avoid grinding...  and I can see that argument... try to do it some other way. 

The Green Bar... it haunts my nightmares.

Hero got moose

arms got plate

Wrong on two counts.

Most casters could 3 shot armsmen. Casters also had blade turn and quick cast, meaning slam almost NEVER landed. Especially with brittle guards and other TOA things. You keep trying to correct people who know more than you and have actually played the game back when ToA changed the field. If armsmen weren't gimped then why did they get a massive overhaul in 2006?

• BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472

No "Green Bar of Madness and Despair" forcing a slow down to crafting, please.  If crafting need to be paced to avoid grinding...  and I can see that argument... try to do it some other way. 

The Green Bar... it haunts my nightmares.

i read that it will be a blue bar this time.

lol

joking of course :D

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR

Hero got moose

arms got plate

Wrong on two counts.

Most casters could 3 shot armsmen. Casters also had blade turn and quick cast, meaning slam almost NEVER landed. Especially with brittle guards and other TOA things. You keep trying to correct people who know more than you and have actually played the game back when ToA changed the field. If armsmen weren't gimped then why did they get a massive overhaul in 2006?

How much is your caster hitting for? Armsmen had 2800 hit points, 3 hits is 900 damage a hit.... I'm pretty sure you have to be debuffed and being hit by a rr9+ caster to hit that hard and all 3 crits lol ...

I don't really care what you think and how bad you think armsmen were, they were just as viable as heros and warriors if played correctly. You were the one that said casters could stun nuke you to death through det? if that's the case you have no validity at all haha

I can't believe you complain so much abiout blade turn and brittle guards, every other melee in the game had to deal with the same issue..

If you're complaining about arms, maybe you should think about complaining about classes like Thanes and skalds who never had access to det ( believe thanes eventually got ), and had 2k hits, by your logic that's almost a two hit.

This isn't even the point of the thread so i'm done trying to explain your class 5 years ago wasn't bad...

Ozek - DAOC

• Set_in_InkSet_in_Ink Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by naezgul
    Underwater swimming/combat

I used to always buy the scout boats and use the water to my advantage in NF.  Was so much fun.  I do agree though, water fighting is always incredibly clumsy, but I would still love to use small boats since I'm sure there will be shorelines and open waters.  I am a seafarer after all.

'I think that there are certain crimes which the law cannot touch, and which therefore, to some extent, justify private revenge.' -Sherlock Holmes

• WazlukWazluk Member Posts: 159

The ridiculousness of midgard's ae and insta stuns at launch...

And LARGE mind-controlled badgers. GD LARGE PURPLE CON BADGERS OF DEATH

Terminus
    Legend Gaming Website | Join Us!
    Wazluk - Legionnaire of Terminus
    Draken Stalker
  • RealLifeGobboRealLifeGobbo Member Posts: 218

One thing I saw happen in WAR,  SW:TOR, and a couple other games... WAY TOO MANY SERVERS!  WoW did it smart.  They would add 2 or 3 more at a time, not 30+ servers!  This really diluttes the player base and making groups impossible to find and then sub numbers drop dramaticlly.  I would really like to only see around 12 servers total and even then, that might too high.

Aspiring Game Musician <<>> Inquiring ears, feel free to visit: http://www.youtube.com/user/vagarylabs

• xenomxenom Member UncommonPosts: 116
    i only don't want to see buffbots. if there are there is no me in the game :P
  • audizmannaudizmann Member Posts: 24

1. Underwater swimming/combat. I agree

2. Buffbots. I agree

3. Endless off-topic quote wars. I agree ;-)