Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Darkness, Horrifying WoW clones away...

Comments

• NonderyonNonderyon Member UncommonPosts: 189

Sorry to say...its just immposible to make a true world of darkness mmo.

That world is full of mistery, intrigue and too deadly when you take the wrong step at wrong time whatever race you with.

The main problem is, they cant make the "mistery" part of it, just imagine when you walk in the street and see other players names or just see many people running in the street, you immedietly known they are players and pick what would they be...maybe bloodsuckers with "BloodyMary,Vampyjohn, or ...etc." name? :)

(good example what THQ wanted with Warhammer 40k mmo, so far with the true w40k i cant tell...so i dont except much about this too, CCP cant have the time and people to make what i want about true WoD)

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363
    Originally posted by swedago
    Originally posted by Yakamomoto

CCP rocks and World of Darkness will be kickass!!

Didn´t you see the presentation from EvE fanfest 2012 on Youtube? They are alive and kicking with a big team.

I think it will be out in 1-2 years and this will be the sandbox game to play, the very first AAA sandbox blockbuster MMO (not set in space like EvE)

WoD will end the dreaded WoW era of boring kill X fetchquest themepark MMOs, together with Archeage

I agree totally =)

I plated PnP RPGs since AD&D, played Vampire The Masquerade / Werewolf, and a few others.  I think a game (as long as it keeps the theme as the PnP version) like this is long overdue!

This game is seriously under-hyped! If they are able to pull off half of the stuff they talked about, it will be the ultimate MMO revolution.

I voted a 10/10 hype on this :D

Bring it on, CCP !!

• Nosferatu4UNosferatu4U Member Posts: 4
    Out of curiosity, what will we do during daylight?
  • KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by Nosferatu4U

Stay the hell out of the sun, probably. I wouldn't be surprised if they implemented a subway/sewer/well shielded car system for getting around protected from the sun, and so you'd really have to plan your time outside to make sure you don't get caught. To account for all timezones, they'd probably have to make it something like a 4 hour "day" to make sure that players in every timezone that may play it have a chance to get both day and night play.

I'm definitely looking forward to WoD. Definite hardcore fan of Eve, but spaceships do get tiring after a while. And I played the VtM single player computer game, it was quite cool. Eve's full sandbox features in a gothic vampire MMO...made by CCP, who appear to be the only developer right now willing to take a chance with something...this could be epic. Completely unheard-of quality.

The best part is, CCP knows full well that the Goons and their affiliates, those same dudes who did the bridge of death in star trek online which resulted in a several hundred page threadnaught whine-fest on the STO forums, and the same guys who got the DayZ servers shut down due to finding exploits, are gonna hit WoD like a fucking freight train. And they're not going to panic about it; they're going to knuckle down and say "Bring it on assholes! Give us all you got!"

It's going to be awesome!

Where's the any key?

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by swedago

CCP rocks and World of Darkness will be kickass!!

Didn´t you see the presentation from EvE fanfest 2012 on Youtube? They are alive and kicking with a big team.

I think it will be out in 1-2 years and this will be the sandbox game to play, the very first AAA sandbox blockbuster MMO (not set in space like EvE)

WoD will end the dreaded WoW era of boring kill X fetchquest themepark MMOs, together with Archeage

I agree totally =)

I plated PnP RPGs since AD&D, played Vampire The Masquerade / Werewolf, and a few others.  I think a game (as long as it keeps the theme as the PnP version) like this is long overdue!

This game is seriously under-hyped! If they are able to pull off half of the stuff they talked about, it will be the ultimate MMO revolution.

I voted a 10/10 hype on this :D

Bring it on, CCP !!

Hype is overrated.

let it stay under the radar for a while.

• gimmesomegimmesome Member Posts: 362

I'm pretty much done wasting time on MMORPGs, but that was "meant" to end when WoD comes out.   

This thread is sort of misleading, at least the links are.  "leaked footage"  blah blah blah that was just cinematic yank.  

Cinematics don't mean a fracking thing.    Let's hold off on the 'omg here's some footage!" threads until we can see some GAMEPLAY. please?

Even though that might not be till at least 2014... I've already been c0ck teased by false hopes about this game for the last 2 years.  

kthx

• Harlequin_SHarlequin_S Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Originally posted by Nonderyon

The main problem is, they cant make the "mistery" part of it, just imagine when you walk in the street and see other players names or just see many people running in the street, you immedietly known they are players and pick what would they be...maybe bloodsuckers with "BloodyMary,Vampyjohn, or ...etc." name? :)

Actually you won't. Character names will be turned off by default. You may want to research and read up on the game before you toss inaccurate assumptions out. So the MYSTERY will still be there.

-Harlequin
    Admin of World of Darkness News
    http://www.wodnews.net

• HodoHodo Member Posts: 542
    Originally posted by star
    Originally posted by Zylaxx
    Originally posted by Lesrach

Hi all,

could be old news but woke my interest up...

http://www.vg247.com/2012/03/24/ccp-shows-world-of-darkness-footage-during-eve-fanfest/

http://www.vg247.com/2010/09/25/leaked-world-of-darkness-footage-comes-out-of-grand-masquerade-convention/

...player elected leader with permadeath rights...   ...sandbox...   ..."with essentially no rules"...

Not a fan of vampires, thanks to my wife and daughters love for all things Twilight lol.  But I take it with perma death this is another FFA PvP sandbox?

Thankfully, VtM's kindred are nothing like Twilight's D:

WoD vampires are closer to Anne Rice's Vampires than Twilight Glampires. 

As for the game being a "Mature" sandbox.   We are talking about gamers right?   So maturity does not come to mind when thinking of gamers. 

I expect the game to launch sometime late this year if not late next year.   It will be chaos the first few months of bugs, crashes, exploits, and of course greifing.   

So much crap, so little quality.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

I got bored of vampires in RPGs as early as 85. If you had attended some of the early Gencons and ran games for pickup players, you would fully understand.

But I bear WoD no ill will, good luck.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by Nosferatu4U

Easy answer. Nothing. As the WoD MMO will be persistant night.

-Harlequin

Originally posted by Hodo

I expect the game to launch sometime late this year if not late next year.   It will be chaos the first few months of bugs, crashes, exploits, and of course greifing.   

Not this year, CCP stated such. Most people following this estimate beta sometime next year, full release 2015.

-Harlequin

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

well even more reason why one should avoid this game entirely. Limiting the gameplay to vampires wasn't bad enough (hell they didn't even wanna include vampire hunters) but to do this, and people like it, amazes me. 

Here comes the pk mobs AOEing all the RPers. That'll go over well.

Originally posted by Icewhite

I got bored of vampires in RPGs as early as 85. If you had attended some of the early Gencons and ran games for pickup players, you would fully understand.

But I bear WoD no ill will, good luck.

Since VtM some out 1991 and this MMO is based on such seems you are missing the point.. this isn't D&D vampires...

-Harlequin

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Looks like an interesting game, been following it for a bit now, albeit from a distance. Sandbox's are always tempting, the scene is interesting. The one thing that assures I'll watch but never partake is the developer. Here's to hoping its exactly what the "sanbox with no rules" crowd wants.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by RefMinor

Hi all,

http://www.vg247.com/2012/03/24/ccp-shows-world-of-darkness-footage-during-eve-fanfest/

http://www.vg247.com/2010/09/25/leaked-world-of-darkness-footage-comes-out-of-grand-masquerade-convention/

...player elected leader with permadeath rights...   ...sandbox...   ..."with essentially no rules"...

Yes, anyone who likes vampires but can''t face the ebb and flow of a sandbox and be willing to face permadeath on the odd occasion should HTFU or stay away. Glamourous yes, soft no.

If HTFU means what I think it means then I would reply with two words... VIDEO GAME...image

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• osmundaosmunda Member Posts: 1,087

A few questions... 

Why did someone bother to necro this thread?

What is a pk mob?

Are there AoEs in Vampire the Masquerade (not counting Dementation, Presence etc.)?

@itgrowls-- There will be humans with guns. Not sure how that differs from vampire hunters.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Slampig
    Originally posted by RefMinor

Hi all,

Yes, anyone who likes vampires but can''t face the ebb and flow of a sandbox and be willing to face permadeath on the odd occasion should HTFU or stay away. Glamourous yes, soft no.

If HTFU means what I think it means then I would reply with two words... VIDEO GAME...image

Actually HTFU does mean what you think, it is the CCP default response to EvE players who complain about losing or being cheated, I imagine they will also be using it for those who lose in WoD. 

And they know its a "VIDEO GAME", they created it  (facepalm)

• Marius6870Marius6870 Member UncommonPosts: 46

Few things to explain to those of you that don't know. Do not hold me to everything listed below, because all things are subject to change before the actual release of the game.Between what I have read and the videos watched, this is what I know thus far....

1) VtM will not have any sunlight, the entire game will be at Night!

2) The only way that you can be permadeath killed is if the Prince calls a blood hunt on you. Any Prince that tries to abuse this power will be voted out and probably killed in turn, so that will keep them in line "hopefully". There will have to be certain conditions met before this can happen, like your character attacking other Kindred unprovoked, breaking the Masquerade, and just playing your character in a unintelligent manner.

3) The game will have something for everyone, from RP, to PVE gameplay,game politics, and of course PVP for those that are looking for it. Id assume that if you attack someone without being provoked, that your gonna end up with a blood hunt on your neck, so pick your battles carefully...

4) At the start of the game, we can only play Camarilla Clan Characters. Garou, Mage, Hunters ect will all come later.Sabbat from my understanding will be NPC enemies in PVE "which blows cause I love Clan Lasombra!!". They wanted to focus on Vampires first to make sure they get it right.

5) The game will be out in 2014 at the latest. Im taking a guess here on this part, but it makes sense cause Dust 514 is done, and they can focus on WOD more, plus they are gonna show us some gameplay next month, plus their devs have been testing it internaly.

Thats really all I know at this point, but i,ll be sure to post once I find out more, cheers!

• HodoHodo Member Posts: 542
    Originally posted by Marius6870

Few things to explain to those of you that don't know. Do not hold me to everything listed below, because all things are subject to change before the actual release of the game.Between what I have read and the videos watched, this is what I know thus far....

1) VtM will not have any sunlight, the entire game will be at Night!

2) The only way that you can be permadeath killed is if the Prince calls a blood hunt on you. Any Prince that tries to abuse this power will be voted out and probably killed in turn, so that will keep them in line "hopefully". There will have to be certain conditions met before this can happen, like your character attacking other Kindred unprovoked, breaking the Masquerade, and just playing your character in a unintelligent manner.

3) The game will have something for everyone, from RP, to PVE gameplay,game politics, and of course PVP for those that are looking for it. Id assume that if you attack someone without being provoked, that your gonna end up with a blood hunt on your neck, so pick your battles carefully...

4) At the start of the game, we can only play Camarilla Clan Characters. Garou, Mage, Hunters ect will all come later.Sabbat from my understanding will be NPC enemies in PVE "which blows cause I love Clan Lasombra!!". They wanted to focus on Vampires first to make sure they get it right.

5) The game will be out in 2014 at the latest. Im taking a guess here on this part, but it makes sense cause Dust 514 is done, and they can focus on WOD more, plus they are gonna show us some gameplay next month, plus their devs have been testing it internaly.

Thats really all I know at this point, but i,ll be sure to post once I find out more, cheers!

I would like them to leave room to expand the game universe to the whole World of Darkness or at least the core three parts of it.   Instead of focusing on just the Vampires.   It would be great to start with the Vampire: The Masqurade and then later say 2015 go to Werewolf: The Appocolypse, then Hunters and Hunted by 2016 or even Mage The Acension.

Permadeath is something I have enjoyed in games since back in the days of MUDs.   But most of todays gamers are spoiled and have a carefree attitude towards their characters.   I mean just look at half of the names in games now days, they dont even have the forethought to be original.  

So much crap, so little quality.

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    I honestly hate CGI trailers.  Give me real game footage or give me nothing at all.  CGI trailers are a waste of dev time that could be better spent actually making a game.
  • IkisisIkisis Member UncommonPosts: 443
    Originally posted by ragz45
    I honestly hate CGI trailers.  Give me real game footage or give me nothing at all.  CGI trailers are a waste of dev time that could be better spent actually making a game.

I agree with you 100%

• VembumeesVembumees Member Posts: 79
    Originally posted by ragz45

devs dont make cgi trailers

• indomitusindomitus Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Permadeath is something I have enjoyed in games since back in the days of MUDs.   But most of todays gamers are spoiled and have a carefree attitude towards their characters.   I mean just look at half of the names in games now days, they dont even have the forethought to be original.  

Permadeath is ok if it's implemented right, it's not if that's not the case. If the gap in the advantage one gets is not great between new players and veterans, then it's ok (ofc that's not the only thing that matters). If that's not the case... I think you get it.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Originally posted by Deleted User

Hi all,

Not a fan of vampires, thanks to my wife and daughters love for all things Twilight lol.  But I take it with perma death this is another FFA PvP sandbox?

Twilight is to Vampires as Keebler is to LoTR

• DomenicusDomenicus Member UncommonPosts: 290
    Originally posted by indomitus

Permadeath is ok if it's implemented right, it's not if that's not the case. If the gap in the advantage one gets is not great between new players and veterans, then it's ok (ofc that's not the only thing that matters). If that's not the case... I think you get it.

Permadeath must be made very carefully, noting the selfish and lack of responsibility that much gamers have. I would not be surprise with people who would make a char to only be permakilled and brag about it on forum or youtube... Depending on what is required to have permadeath, you can end having exactly the opposite effect. For instance, would receive permadeath the ones who gank 10 people , then you can be sure that whole guilds will make their alternate chars making a gankfest only to put on youtube or to make the Prince call bloodhunt on hundreds (and they probably would hunt each others with their mains). Thats why I think with permadeath would come a suspension or ban of account...