Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How will the game and the TV-series be "linked" ?

SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Isn't it standard practice to have completed filming and editing of all the episodes of one season of a TV show before the season airs on TV ?

I can therefore understand how events in the TV series can appear ingame in sync with each weekly episode, but how will ingame events be able to influence what happens in the TV episodes ? So, for instance, a new mob may appear ingame during week 2, and also be "discovered" in that weeks TV episode.

I cannot see any way that player actions ingame can be represented in the TV series, because the entire plot of the series will already be set in stone before the pilot broadcast. Similarly, all "dynamic" events in the game world that will be referenced in the TV series will have to have been pre-scripted to sync to what happens in each weeks TV episode.

Comments

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Not quite. Its general practice to get a 5-6 episode headstart ( especially for new seasons) so they have a chance to make alterations to the storyline as needed going forward. Most of the player changes based on the information they have released are going to me small things, mostly green screened, or easily redubbed, like name dropping, or binary quests where they can film both outcomes. Also keep in mind, both settings are on opposite sides of the country, the ripples either way will be small. It trully is nothing but a marketing experiment. Though I hope its a successful one.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Isn't it standard practice to have completed filming and editing of all the episodes of one season of a TV show before the season airs on TV ?

I can therefore understand how events in the TV series can appear ingame in sync with each weekly episode, but how will ingame events be able to influence what happens in the TV episodes ? So, for instance, a new mob may appear ingame during week 2, and also be "discovered" in that weeks TV episode.

I cannot see any way that player actions ingame can be represented in the TV series, because the entire plot of the series will already be set in stone before the pilot broadcast. Similarly, all "dynamic" events in the game world that will be referenced in the TV series will have to have been pre-scripted to sync to what happens in each weeks TV episode.

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/interviews/a443802/defiance-interview-trion-on-where-the-show-and-game-collide.html

"The area the game is set in used to be San Francisco, which has mostly been wiped out and now is more like a wild west, frontier type place. The TV show is happening in St Louis, where you have a more Cradle of Civilisation thing going on; more focused on personal drama. We have big battles in San Francisco, and more character building in St Louis."

How will events in the TV show and the game coincide?
    "We have what we call crossover events. They cross both the mediums and the two locations. We have events around every episode and they cross back and forth between the game and show. Something may happen in the game, and then it will cross into the show, and cross back. You can play the game and you don't have to watch the show, but the storylines are mutually progressive."

The game will be released two weeks before the show premieres, so how will they align?
    "Basically, Defiance as a story progresses throughout the year. When the game goes up you will be doing missions, which leads into the show. We will then have crossover events as each episode premieres, but the game will also move the storyline forward too.

"During the period between season one and [season] two of the TV show, we will have a certain amount of player influence and stuff like that which will affect what season two is."

Thats all I've seen as far as how the two will tie in with each other. 

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Ah OK, thanks for the replies, it's a bit clearer now.

So basically, one week a part of the plot reveal may appear ingame before that week's TV episode, and in another week it may appear in the TV episode before you see the effects ingame. But by and large, the plot is pre-determined, the game world and the TV show will just take turns revealing it.

And the fact that the action ingame and in the show takes place in totally different parts of the world will make it much easier to steer individual plotlines, even allowing them to diverge.

• urbanmechurbanmech Member UncommonPosts: 200

How will events in the TV show and the game coincide?
    "We have what we call crossover events. They cross both the mediums and the two locations. We have events around every episode and they cross back and forth between the game and show. Something may happen in the game, and then it will cross into the show, and cross back. You can play the game and you don't have to watch the show, but the storylines are mutually progressive."

Wow, that's some good marketing speak for, "not really at all". Read it through, they dont actually say anything, just something may happen.

• CalibanvovCalibanvov Member UncommonPosts: 192

Heres an example of how things are "linked". 

In the show, there will be a certain episode, where an enemy type is revealed.  The actors in the show find a way to defeat this new enemy. 

A week later, this enemy is programed into the game.  When you fight this enemy, it will be helpful (but not necessary) to know how to defeat the mob.  The show will reveal the weakness.  Such as, aim for the head, or use fire etc.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Defiance is an interesting title, but I´m willing to bet that the whole TV-series/MMO linking thing is nothing but a nifty marketing gag.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

Heres another way things are "linked".  Theres a mission type called "episode missions" or something like that.  These follow cloesely with the show.

The reason the game releases 2 weeks before the show is because you can run this story arc with 2 main characters in the show.  You complete the missions witht these actors  for an object( or whatever the goal is,) and they travel from San Fransisco (the games location) and head to St. Louis (Defiance) T.V. shows location.  The objects you gain in the mission, may be revealed in the show when it starts, when the 2 main actors arrive in St. Louis.

Pretty cool!

Originally posted by FromHell
    Defiance is an interesting title, but I´m willing to bet that the whole TV-series/MMO linking thing is nothing but a nifty marketing gag.

I understand your reluctance, and I'm sure most of the linkage will be minor.  But you have to repect what they are attempting to do.  They have been working 4-5 years on it, and throwing more money then they ever have at the project.  So they are TRYING.

Here an example of another "link".

In one t.v. episode, there is a contagion where people get sick and need the cure.   The plant that can give the cure is located in San Fransisco (game world).  If enough players gather enough plants, then the next episode should show characters getting cured.

Originally posted by Calibanvov

I understand your reluctance, and I'm sure most of the linkage will be minor.  But you have to repect what they are attempting to do.  They have been working 4-5 years on it, and throwing more money then they ever have at the project.  So they are TRYING.

In one t.v. episode, there is a contagion where people get sick and need the cure.   The plant that can give the cure is located in San Fransisco (game world).  If enough players gather enough plants, then the next episode should show characters getting cured.

Merely trying is not worthy of praise. Great ideas are worthless with shitty execution. What is worse is especially with a project this expensive a poor implementation will doom the entire premise in the minds of investors for a long while to come. I will say that based on my experience so far, they really are hinging on consoles and the show tie in to be successful. From a pc perspective its riddled with problems.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• TraciatimTraciatim Member UncommonPosts: 7

I was watching one of the twitch streams last night where someone said there are scenes in the TV series (they specifically referenced a bar) where when filmed it was a green screen, but when aired it should show a picture of the character that wins a specific battle in game as a poster behind the bar . . .  so your character will be on the wall art on the TV series. If that's true then thats' a pretty cool addition, and doesn't seem that difficult for them to do even though the filming is already done. 

If they hide lots of things like this in the show, maybe even just 1 or 2 an episode I can see it being a pretty popular feature.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    ya i bet everything is pre recorded ,but might add things like name of the player doing xyz thing (as long as their name is tv friendly!sodapoopin might not make the scyfy cut!
  • milluxmillux Member UncommonPosts: 50

Originally posted by FromHell Defiance is an interesting title, but I´m willing to bet that the whole TV-series/MMO linking thing is nothing but a nifty marketing gag.

LOL, so all they really have to do is make the episode with them being cured and say "Wow, you guys did it!" ... not like you would know whether or not enough people did. hmmm ... on the other hand, if they are true to the plan, and all the players conspire to fail every week, the Defiance tv show would be one seriously morbid story.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

how easy/hard will these events be? will they be GW2/Rift easy?

If so, events would almost never fail

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

From the stream I saw it was pretty much exactly Rift, FPS problems and all.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Originally posted by jimdandy26

Merely trying is not worthy of praise. Great ideas are worthless with shitty execution. What is worse is especially with a project this expensive a poor implementation will doom the entire premise in the minds of investors for a long while to come. I will say that based on my experience so far, they really are hinging on consoles and the show tie in to be successful. From a pc perspective its riddled with problems.

I'm interested in the last sentence and these PC problems. Can you expand on that without breaking the NDA? I ask because I don't own a console and would be playing on PC if I decide to buy the game.

Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

I'm interested in the last sentence and these PC problems. Can you expand on that without breaking the NDA? I ask because I don't own a console and would be playing on PC if I decide to buy the game.

MMORPG has beta keys to give away, why not just grab one of those and try it out to see hwo well it runs befor it's official launch. That way you may be able to help it be better and also get a chance to see if it's worth the cash.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk
    Originally posted by jimdandy26

err how to say it without breaking the NDA is very hard lets just say that while the game is solid and fun, it has a core issue, one that can and should be fixed easly, but if they dont they will lose alot of people fast. im hopeing this next beta weekend will have resolved it after all there has been a overwhelming flow from beta testers to fix it, with any luck it has been and at that point i cant find anything to complain about.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

From my understanding, they are connected because both happen in the same world during the same time, so you can really get into the world and lore and characters if you do both.

Barring the planed connected events, there isnt going to be a situation where player X does a thing in the game, so they need to work that into the show somehow.  Production times just couldnt allow for that.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I don't care if the links are minimal, I still think it's cool.  It's not that hard really to do either.  Like the Poster thing, they already do that in most shows today already.  While filming, the actor will pick up a box of something to eat, it's a plain box with nothing on it.  They sell that box's spot to cherrios or whoever wants it, and the editors add in a box of cherrios.  It's been going on for years now :)
  • RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767
    Who cares, Im just hoping the show is good. I need me some sci fi.
  • ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

The amount of linking doesn't really matter that much.  The idea is that TV show fans are able to spend more with the world of the show that they enjoy in-between episodes and Game fans are able to see their game's world represented explored on TV.

If you're expecting to kill the show's main character during a solo mission and then see it live on TV the next day, you'll be disappointed.   Otherwise, I think it's a great idea.  Like wathching LoTR and playing LoTRO.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

Rift runs a heavily in house modified gambryo, they've stated many times that it started there but really doesn't work anything like the original anymore. Though, on the stream I was watching as soon as other people were around the person streaming's FPS dropped to about 10 from the 50's . . . so it seems like their problems are similar even f they are designed differently.
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Traciatim

From the stream I saw it was pretty much exactly Rift, FPS problems and all.

Rift runs on gamebryo engine. Defiance uses its own engine built from scratch in house. Rift was developed by trions redwood city studio, Defiance was developed by Trion San Diego. And the games are completely different. Ive put over 200 hours of alpha play in Defiance and over 300 hours in rift... the games are vastly different. I have no fps issues in defiance period.

Rifts engine (and Defiance) are as much Gambryo as Bethesda's Creation engine. Also, after 100 hours or so in Defiance I see all of the exact same performance issues as I see in Rift. The same "lag" during large events, the same flickering terrain, problems I do not see with other games (well, the Z fighting in Skyrim, but yeah, totally different engines :P). While there are some differences, they are nowhere close to "completely" different.