Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A free to play model that WORKS

13»

Comments

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by Reklaw
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

This poll obvious is not representive of the market. Here is some market data.

In the US, F2P outnumber P2P 6 to 1.

http://www.superdataresearch.com/us-free-to-play-does-it-pay-to-switch/

And "The good news is that in 2012, F2P MMOs made more than their P2P counterparts, capturing the majority of the MMO US market’s revenue."

So not only more people play F2P games, F2P games made more money.

You do see that the poll shows what "some" people want and your link data shows what people have right? See the difference?

Are you saying that there are people that want subscription games but for some reason do not have access to them? If not, then what he presented is correct. These aren't utilities, they are leisure activities. In that light, the numbers show exactly what people want.

Nope that's not what I said.

the reason there are more F2P then sub games out there is simply because F2P makes more money so most companies have gone over to that system, what playes want has very little impact in a supply and demand market.

i know thier are lots of people who will say im wrong but meh i dont care the truth is the truth and people tend to look away from what they dont want to see even if its the truth.

if ya dont beleave me then here is another fact the vatican denied that the earth moved around the sun and not vice versa until 1992, when they anounced that this was a fact.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Squeak69

the reason there are more F2P then sub games out there is simply because F2P makes more money so most companies have gone over to that system, what playes want has very little impact in a supply and demand market.

LOL .. F2P makes more money .. because people pay them. People pay them because people want to.

I bet you don't run a business. Let's produce stuff people don't want .. they will pay for it anyway because Squeak said so!

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by bugmeno
    Lord of the Rings Online F2P Model works just fine.

Yeah, for Turbine. It costs more money now to access the same amount of content you used to be able to get for 15 a month. They still give you the option of subscribing, but you get fewer features and limited content. They make you grind and jump through hoops for points, everything prompts you for a credit cards. Quests lock you out, dungeons are not able to be entered. It's a really horrible system for a game that prides itself on its world. Meanwhile, Vanguard has a 100% open world, open dungeons, open quests, no cost AT ALL.

LotRO gets its money by making your life miserable and charging for conveniences. Vanguard just gives you the game.

It cost less to access a lot of content .. in fact, it costs zero. Who wants to access the same amount of content when one barely has time to consumer the free stuff?

I ran out of the free stuff in 3 days.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I don't think it's any surprise F2P titles have outnumbered P2P, just look at how many MMOs are listed on this site...

What is that supposed to mean exactly? Just because the industry is flooded with cheap F2P games doesn't mean they are somehow superior to P2P it just means the new people coming in don't want to pay. Yep, one good thing it has done is being more people to MMOs, a LOT more. With newer games coming out that are different than the typical model I wonder how that chart is going to look two years from now.

If you look at the chart listed somewhere above the rise of F2P does not match the drop of P2P, in fact it's staggering how different they are. The market has stagnated and there are free offerings with similar play to P2P. Those thinking that F2P is the future may not want to hold thier breath.
  • RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136
     Poll seems to indicate people want subs still, interesting considering the amount of people on the F2P bandwagon. There are either alot of us nostalgic fools who grew up with subs on this site, or the majority that entered the thread truely due want subs. I spend more money on F2P games , my fault but I do. I've also always found sub based games to hold to a higher standard than those without. I'd say Gw2 was the exception but given their patching schedule/history I'm not inclined to tip my hat at their after launch support just yet.
    Originally posted by bugmeno
    Lord of the Rings Online F2P Model works just fine.

Yeah, for Turbine. It costs more money now to access the same amount of content you used to be able to get for 15 a month. They still give you the option of subscribing, but you get fewer features and limited content. They make you grind and jump through hoops for points, everything prompts you for a credit cards. Quests lock you out, dungeons are not able to be entered. It's a really horrible system for a game that prides itself on its world. Meanwhile, Vanguard has a 100% open world, open dungeons, open quests, no cost AT ALL.

LotRO gets its money by making your life miserable and charging for conveniences. Vanguard just gives you the game.

It cost less to access a lot of content .. in fact, it costs zero. Who wants to access the same amount of content when one barely has time to consumer the free stuff?

I ran out of the free stuff in 3 days.

Really? You play 24/7?

Move to the next f2p game. It is not like you are running of those.

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    Originally posted by Redemp
     Poll seems to indicate people want subs still, interesting considering the amount of people on the F2P bandwagon. There are either alot of us nostalgic fools who grew up with subs on this site, or the majority that entered the thread truely due want subs. I spend more money on F2P games , my fault but I do. I've also always found sub based games to hold to a higher standard than those without. I'd say Gw2 was the exception but given their patching schedule/history I'm not inclined to tip my hat at their after launch support just yet.

The primary method to monitize F2P games is subs (at least in the west). In the east it is time cards. When people talk about F2P, they are mostly talking about subs.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

LOL .. F2P makes more money .. because people pay them. People pay them because people want to.

I bet you don't run a business. Let's produce stuff people don't want .. they will pay for it anyway because Squeak said so!

Squeak isn't the only one that holds that odd contention. There are a frightening number of people here that follow that odd logic.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Squeak isn't the only one that holds that odd contention. There are a frightening number of people here that follow that odd logic.

Even though you fully misunderstood me, it's logical that what people want is demand for a gamecompany's and in return the gamecompany's supplies. But then again I don't feel the poll is a representation of the complete MMORPG market but pure a topic with a  question towards it's readers. Unfortunaly some people need to pull in the whole market into the topic instead of actually responding to the topic and the readers in THIS forum.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Even though you fully misunderstood me, it's logical that what people want is demand for a gamecompany's and in return the gamecompany's supplies. But then again I don't feel the poll is a representation of the complete MMORPG market but pure a topic with a  question towards it's readers. Unfortunaly some people need to pull in the whole market into the topic instead of actually responding to the topic and the readers in THIS forum.

Which of us are you addressing? None of the responses you quoted were about this forum or its opinions, rather about the market in general.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Of coures. When people are making general statements like "the reason there are more F2P then sub games out there is simply because F2P makes more money so most companies have gone over to that system, what playes want has very little impact in a supply and demand market."

... i respond with information for the whole market.

If you say "there is 10 people who don't like F2P" ... sure. You can always find a small group of people dislike anything. So? No sane devs is going to make a design decision because there is a small group of people disliking what they do.

• nottunednottuned Member Posts: 92
    I could never kill off enough brain cells to enjoy f2p games. they great for the brain dead masses and its keeps the fail outta my games so, win win I guess
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Originally posted by nottuned
    I could never kill off enough brain cells to enjoy f2p games. they great for the brain dead masses and its keeps the fail outta my games so, win win I guess

Quality is pretty much the same for f2p and p2p.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • KyutaSyukoKyutaSyuko Member UncommonPosts: 288
    I don't see why having ads IN the game that fit -- like on billboards or posters on the side of a building -- wouldn't work for some games.  Obviously they probably wouldn't work very well for fantasy type games, but post apocalyptic, futuristic, or racing games I think they could and devs wouldn't have to come up with fake ads to fill in those spots.  It's win/win.
  • AGHunterAGHunter Member UncommonPosts: 1

My thoughts on a few MMORPG's and the player subscription systems they use. -AG Hunter

1) WOW- The subscription for this game is huge and the lack of in game support from real staff does not consitute the subscription.

2) Minecraft: The renewal of the LAN party. Minecraft helps a person (if the person is game) learn and develope skills in server administration. Working with DNS and is a controlable environment. Want to play alone then don't log into a ser ver. Want to invite someone into the world you are working on then enable LAN.

3) The Secret World: This requires the player to purchase the game in order to play. There is an item mall but the items are not that wonderful. This game is not free to play. There is an initial investment in this game. 

4) SWTOR: The game has both free to play and subscription options. I am a subscriber. I have to say the bennefits of being a subscriber are good. The ability to used specialized weapons and armor. The ability to use the guild bank. The regular deposit of the item mall currency for me to use on very very helpful boosts, armor or weapons. 

5) Champions: does not allow one to have access to any characters made while there was an active subscription. This means to play for free you have to create a lesser character with less customization in skills and start from the beginning all over again. When you get a subscription again you can play your subscription character where you left off. 

Originally posted by VengeSunsoar
    Originally posted by nottuned

Quality is pretty much the same for f2p and p2p.

And there are also more choices for F2P. If i want to play a Star Trek game, F2P is pretty much it. If i want to play a Star Wars MMO, F2P is pretty much it.