Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning: An Update on Mythic’s WAR

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Warhammer Online has been maturing nicely over the years since its release. We took the opportunity to find out what's been going on and what the future holds for Mythic's game. We spoke with Lead Designer Keaven Freeman to find out. Read on and then head to the comments to chat it up.

MMORPG: It’s been a long time since we last chatted, Keaven.  How go things on WAR? The title seems to have settled in with a dedicated hardcore group of fans.

KEAVEN: Overall, things are going great! I have always personally felt WAR was destined to be for the dedicated hardcore group we have now. I couldn’t be happier that we have such a close, and active, group of players.

Read more of Bill Murphy's Warhammer Online: An Update on Mythic’s WAR.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

eveonline best pvpin space- warhammer best pvp on ground!

last i played a few months back population was solid- rvr was active and battles were EPIC!- excellent pvp game! for those who love warhammer franchise and table top combat playing games!

great read!

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Whats the games current population? How many servers are running?
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    DAOC is still the best pvp on ground.
  • RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

I believe they have 2 left - one NA, one EU - which really goes to show how "strong" the title is.

Mythic is an embarrassment to the genre.  Granted, I'm sure EA and Bioware had a lot to do with deciding to choke this game down to a skeleton crew, but Mythic caused that through gross mismanagement of the title.

"Development" on the game, and I use that word loosely, has been a joke for the last 4 years, and from reading the article, that continues.  Nothing but tweaks and recycling old content in the future.

I don't think F2P is even an option.  It takes money and resources to transition a game from a P2P model to F2P, and EA/Mythic proved years ago that they will not spend one penny more than necessary to keep the couple of servers they have left running.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494
    The game has to go free to play and ofcourse not like swtor.

• DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246
    Originally posted by Rohn

I believe they have 2 left - one NA, one EU - which really goes to show how "strong" the title is.

Mythic is an embarrassment to the genre.  Granted, I'm sure EA and Bioware had a lot to do with deciding to choke this game down to a skeleton crew, but Mythic caused that through gross mismanagement of the title.

"Development" on the game, and I use that word loosely, has been a joke for the last 4 years, and from reading the article, that continues.  Nothing but tweaks and recycling old content in the future.

I don't think F2P is even an option.  It takes money and resources to transition a game from a P2P model to F2P, and EA/Mythic proved years ago that they will not spend one penny more than necessary to keep the couple of servers they have left running.

Last 4 years?  Try doing some research before opening your mouth.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by Drolkin
    Originally posted by Rohn

Last 4 years?  Try doing some research before opening your mouth.

Land of the Dead came out mid-2009.  That was the last significant set of new content added to the game, at least of the type most people would expect from a supposedly AAA game.

For a while after that, people like Hickman and Gouskos tried to keep the hype rolling, "We've got big plans coming, we just can't talk about it yet."  As it turns out, they weren't working any anything of note.

Instead of allocating resources to WAR, they created WOH, which according to Paul Barnett had the fun of WAR, just without the "crap" found in the game.  Not surprisingly, they recently announced the failure of WOH.

Sorry, but recycling content, tweaks, and very minor content and gear additions to a game with this IP is just embarrassing.

I wonder when their license with GamesWorkshop expires, because WAR won't exist one second past that time.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• ikarrianikarrian Member Posts: 122

I rather wait and put my money on the new Warhammer fantasy IP owner (Sega - Total War series) Then putting any more money on this game.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    WAR is still the best PvP/RvR MMO but Daoc. The lack of new content is one of the reason about why people dont play it anymore, they should make this game F2P, it will be without a doubt and huge success and then, they can make enough money to dev real content for the game. But sadly looks like is heading the same way as Daoc.
  • RenkoRenko Member UncommonPosts: 97
    "Warhammer Online has been maturing nicely over the years since its release." Was that meant to be a joke?
  • EtaewEtaew Member UncommonPosts: 7

The population at the moment is the best I have seen (I didn't play WAR until after it's decline). My screen gets filled with players during prime time keep takes.

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182
    Camelot Unchained is asking for 2 million on kickstarter, the track record since DAOC might hurt the chances to reach that goal.
  • NibsNibs Member UncommonPosts: 287

Originally posted by KEAVEN    

If I had it to do all over again, and I was in a position to affect some influence, I would have to say three realms. Don’t get me wrong, I in no way believe 3-Realms is the “magic bullet” that would solve all of WAR’s balance issues. It would, however, add a player-correcting element that helps keep the battlefield engaging and dynamic. Even with all the other issues WAR may have had, that would have helped prevent players feeling they were painted into a corner, rage quitting, and subsequently emptying the battlefield of bodies (I will point back to the population issue from earlier). Along with that, I think having a leveling system that was more horizontal would have done wonders by adding varying levels of career complexity without increasing overall power level that much. And since we’re thinking wishfully here, I also would have had only minor PvE elements; we tried to do, and be, too much at launch, but what’s done, is done.            

So, Camelot Unchained, then..?

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by Etaew

The population at the moment is the best I have seen (I didn't play WAR until after it's decline). My screen gets filled with players during prime time keep takes.

That is because anyone who have ever touched WoH got a free month... Being one of them i can say i do not really intend to re-subscribe once that is done. All the action is in T4 (and maybe T1 but i did not see much going on there when i played) T2-T3 is fairly dead with some solen muscial castle game going on (one warband from each side slowly rotating through the three areas.. bumping in to each other and ganking some every now and then.

Or at least i HOPE the action is in T4... Not really there yet personally as i got stuck in T3 last time i played the game.

This have been a good conversation

• TheMorrTheMorr Member Posts: 2

What is the big deal about so called new content? WAR is a PvP base game. That means new content revolves around character abilities, weapons, armor and skins (we do need to look good while dying), not pve content. No one really cares about PvE in WAR, it is not why we play it.

As for war dying; People have written it off since launch, it is still here. As long as people get to kill other players 24/7, 365 a year in multiple zones that are open to PvP 24/7 365 a year AND mutiple choice of scenarios/battlefronts that pop at an average of 8 min apart ... WAR will always be here.

• kosackosac Member UncommonPosts: 206
    what the hell they are talking.. this game is death.. after release LoD and they dont make nothing with this game.. WAR needs huge remake and restart.. its great in basic but they killed him.. i hope CU will rull them..
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by orbitxo

eveonline best pvpin space- warhammer best pvp on ground!

I would rather say that Eve is the best hardcore PvP MMO and WAR the one with best casual PvP as it really lacks the true epic "endgame" PvP with consequences which Eve has.

So with almost all casual MMOs; its lifespan is short as I loved WAR for 2-3 months but after I capped my character and engaged in some city raids, it kind of felt that there was nothing else left to do.

If they actually would add a proper PvP endgame to this game I would resub...

• the_stickmanthe_stickman Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Been away from WAR since the patch (1.3.5 I think) that turned keep fights into a resource battle vs a real keep fight like it was previously.  I'm curious if this has been done away with and real keep fights are back in place?  That patch ruined the game for me.  If those issues have been resolved, I would love to return.
  • NidwinNidwin Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by TheMorr

What is the big deal about so called new content? WAR is a PvP base game. That means new content revolves around character abilities, weapons, armor and skins (we do need to look good while dying), not pve content. No one really cares about PvE in WAR, it is not why we play it.

As for war dying; People have written it off since launch, it is still here. As long as people get to kill other players 24/7, 365 a year in multiple zones that are open to PvP 24/7 365 a year AND mutiple choice of scenarios/battlefronts that pop at an average of 8 min apart ... WAR will always be here.

There's no point discussing anything with them bro. They are GW2, Rift, WoW, DaoC, TERA, whatever gameplayers that can't even grasp the concept of no NPC's in the lakes. Imagine how horrible it is for them not having a Keep Lord to kill or keep guards.

War is far from perferct and we're the first, those hardcore fanboys, to admit it. But there's nothing else that even gets close to the PvP/RvR experience Warhammer online AoR has to offer.

• EraserheadEraserhead Member UncommonPosts: 343

It is a great shame the game got abandoned by EA but the fact still remains that WAR is the best PvP experience there is right now. New content is always nice but ultimately in a PvP game other players are the content and there are still plenty to kill.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    Originally posted by TheMorr

well said! T1 & T4 is where is at..u can do  events and quests in T2 & T3 to get you by...but its all abt PvP and taking forts-and this -Becaouse of players remains Alive!- if you are expecting quests there are a few mmos out there who do that well. dont complain becouse of the content and beign a bad embarrasment of a game- this is not what warhammer is about..the name says it all. 'WAR'....and expecting it togo F2p would eb a disaster for this game. the sub keeps the true vet gamers for war- weeds the qqrs. you can see this in T1...and T4 HUGE difference!

• dynamicipftwdynamicipftw Member UncommonPosts: 206
    It's mindboggling how this isn't F2P yet. If one MMO should be F2P it would be this one.
  • ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by dynamicipftw
    It's mindboggling how this isn't F2P yet. If one MMO should be F2P it would be this one.

Agreed.

Heck, I'd most likely go back and play for awhile if it was.

/shrug

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• MarcelinoMarcelino Member UncommonPosts: 124
    So what is this games status with regards to subscription now? Is it P2P? Or is it free up to a certain level?
  • MarcelinoMarcelino Member UncommonPosts: 124