Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is my graphic performance so bad?

Comments

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

I assume the OP is running the game on his primary monitor, and since he said he isn't running anything else, that the other monitors are blank?

Most games are not suited for multimonitor use in this aspect.  You either need to run the game on one monitor, or have a multimonitor setup hat would allow you to expand the game across all monitors (not copy, but basically giving yourself a really high resolution.).

I see that you turned off your Shadows.  That is another thing that typically increases performance.  Shadows are a massive memory hog.  Another thing is to turn off reflective surfaces.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by engellen
    maybe your computer realizes how terrible the game is and doesnt want to play it for you anymore?

ahahaha true :)

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Wootloops
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by Normandy7
    The game probably is not optimized properly for higher end cards.

Well it's not the same card, but it is in the same series and mine runs great! GTX 670

Like I asked the OP before, is your card overheating? You have two cards in your box, is it ventilated enough?

Don't have anything installed that can tell me, but I doubt it. I've played Crysis 2 for like 12 hours straight with it and it runs like butter. Everything else I play runs like butter too. It's only Guild Wars that plays bad. And my case in an Alienware Aurora R4, so it has whatever ventilation that has.

Portable version if you just feel like checking. Portable GPU-Z.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

It is easy.

Remove the 7800GTX from your system.

Get the most recent drivers for your GTX690.

Run the game with only 1 monitor, vsync on.

If it runs fine you found out your problem.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• WootloopsWootloops Member UncommonPosts: 165
    Originally posted by Roguewiz

I assume the OP is running the game on his primary monitor, and since he said he isn't running anything else, that the other monitors are blank?

Most games are not suited for multimonitor use in this aspect.  You either need to run the game on one monitor, or have a multimonitor setup hat would allow you to expand the game across all monitors (not copy, but basically giving yourself a really high resolution.).

I see that you turned off your Shadows.  That is another thing that typically increases performance.  Shadows are a massive memory hog.  Another thing is to turn off reflective surfaces.

I don't play it with surround, I play it in a window on my primary monitor. I've tried it in fullscreen windowed mode and normal fullscreen, but the performance is the same.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

The old dual gpu cards could just use ONE gpu as an option in certian games/or hard turn off and on... i would first see if this is still an option. Some times dual gpus stutter (badly) if the first gpu is slower than the second (even in dual gpu cards). Also it might be a hardware issue with dual gpus and gw2 (i don't see this however) .

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

Well it's not the same card, but it is in the same series and mine runs great! GTX 670

Like I asked the OP before, is your card overheating? You have two cards in your box, is it ventilated enough?

Don't have anything installed that can tell me, but I doubt it. I've played Crysis 2 for like 12 hours straight with it and it runs like butter. Everything else I play runs like butter too. It's only Guild Wars that plays bad. And my case in an Alienware Aurora R4, so it has whatever ventilation that has.

The first GPU in the 690 is at 82C at 60% utilization on average, and the second one is at 72C at 50% utlilzation on average. And the 7800 is at 65C at 4% utlization. Don't know if those are good temperatures or not.

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678

just unpark cores in your CPU

strange that no one told you that

all these experts in this topic :)

Originally posted by saurus123

What does unparking mean?

The first GPU in the 690 is at 82C at 60% utilization on average, and the second one is at 72C at 50% utlilzation on average. And the 7800 is at 65C at 4% utlization. Don't know if those are good temperatures or not.

Hmm, I'm no GPU expert at all. Maybe Quizzical or Aerowyn could help more on this. My load runs at about 19% and 43C in Lions Arch. I think from what I read around 80C is fine so I guess that wouldn't matter. I'm just wondering why your utilization runs so high. 

Also, I did read where others have had problems with that card but that was from months ago. Sorry I can't think of anything else other than what folks have said. Get rid of the 7800 and update drivers. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• viddsterviddster Member UncommonPosts: 220

I would think it is definitely a driver problem, prior to release GW2 had terrible optimisation. They fixed that mostly with the 306.23 drivers, so I am surprised the 307.74 are not working. If you cannot try newer drivers you can always try older ones, the 306.23 or 306.97 support both cards.

Preventing the CPU cores to be in power saving mode, even when the bios power saving options are already disabled.

Sincerely, that will most likely do nothing.

You have a dual card to start with, which is always a potential for problems.

Not only that you are running a very old piece of hardware with it and you are keeping old drivers to allow your 7800GTX to run when drivers are so important for any card but especially for a dual GPU.

Just remove the 7800GTX, update drivers, run 1 screen.

If that doesn't work, try something like MSI Afterburner or nvidiainspector to limit the frame rate @59.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678

it means you dont use full potential of your cpu

sometimes win7 just park your CPU mostly the new i7

just google to find more info or

http://www.coderbag.com/Programming-C/Disable-CPU-Core-Parking-Utility

Hmm, I'm no GPU expert at all. Maybe Quizzical or Aerowyn could help more on this. My load runs at about 19% and 43C in Lions Arch. I think from what I read around 80C is fine so I guess that wouldn't matter. I'm just wondering why your utilization runs so high. 

Also, I did read where others have had problems with that card but that was from months ago. Sorry I can't think of anything else other than what folks have said. Get rid of the 7800 and update drivers. 

The temperatures are fine.

The GPU load on the 690 could/should be higher.

What resolution do you play?

The 690 has 2GB memory for each GPU and it has a 256-bit bus and it seems GW2 really like loads of bandwidth.

Originally posted by viddster

I would think it is definitely a driver problem, prior to release GW2 had terrible optimisation. They fixed that mostly with the 306.23 drivers, so I am surprised the 307.74 are not working. If you cannot try newer drivers you can always try older ones, the 306.23 or 306.97 support both cards.

I had those older drivers when the game first came out, and the performance was the same. Sigh, I just need to shell out for a low profile 4xx series card that will be on the same drivers as the 690 for hopefully the next few years.

Any recommendations on the cheapest card with 4 monitor slots which will be supported on the same drivers for a while?

Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

The temperatures are fine.

The GPU load on the 690 could/should be higher.

What resolution do you play?

The 690 has 2GB memory for each GPU and it has a 256-bit bus and it seems GW2 really like loads of bandwidth.

The monitor I play on is 1080p, but I run GW2 in a window sized at vertically half the screen. And the 690 has 4GB RAM total but only 2GB are usable, being shared between the two GPUs.

• sargey123sargey123 Member UncommonPosts: 102
    Try to see if ur cpu/gpu isnt 100% utilizations,and check their heat,and if the fans are working right~ updating drivers will also help increase fps/fix some bugs

I'm sure no one here explained being experts. We are just gamers trying to help a fellow gamer. :)

He has gotten quite a few good leads and I hope it helps him out. There have been a couple other posts in this thread from a couple of kids that havne't really helped!

Your input has helped me! I didn't know about unparking my other processors. I just let them do their own thing! :)

it means you dont use full potential of your cpu

sometimes win7 just park your CPU mostly the new i7

just google to find more info or

http://www.coderbag.com/Programming-C/Disable-CPU-Core-Parking-Utility

I'm looking at Resource Monitor but I can't see where it says whether your cores are parked.

• viddsterviddster Member UncommonPosts: 220
    I would take the 7800 out, update your drivers and see if the game runs well. If it does you probably should replace your old card, if it does not you know it is not a driver issue. It would at least narrow things down a bit.

• ichihaifuichihaifu Member UncommonPosts: 280

Too much money spent at something one doesnt have knowledge of. ~shudder~

As people said before get rid of the 7800, update drivers (to beta if need be) and utilize all of the bloody outputs in the 690. Yes you can do that, its just a matter of doing it correctly. Google is your friend if you find your thumb from your mouth. If its a real problem with the card you can most likely find solutions on the first page of search results - if the problem is how you do/did things, you cannot find the solution from google (in which case you need to go back and learn the basics all over again).

Originally posted by ichihaifu

As people said before get rid of the 7800, update drivers (to beta if need be) and utilize all of the bloody outputs in the 690. Yes you can do that, its just a matter of doing it correctly. Google is your friend if you find your thumb from your mouth. If its a real problem with the card you can most likely find solutions on the first page in search results - if the problem is how you do/did things, you cannot find the solution from google (in which case you need to go back and learn the basics all over again).

Not necessary. I can buy a new BMW and not know crap about the engine.

Originally posted by ichihaifu

As people said before get rid of the 7800, update drivers (to beta if need be) and utilize all of the bloody outputs in the 690. Yes you can do that, its just a matter of doing it correctly. Google is your friend if you find your thumb from your mouth. If its a real problem with the card you can most likely find solutions on the first page of search results - if the problem is how you do/did things, you cannot find the solution from google (in which case you need to go back and learn the basics all over again).

You can utilize all the outputs while in "Maximize 3D performance" mode?

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

it isnt your computer per say!as usual it is window .ms tend to do thing their way as a result it is rarelly benefical for normal human like us!because ms has to compromise with lot of side .first make sure your temperature is ok!if this isnt an issue then i would change of srgb version.if you dont know how ?never mind this idea!you might want to try loweting you hertz from 60 to 59 (aka 59.94)both in the game and the graphic card(or os)in amd gpu it still say  60 dont sweat it in the the os it is still it 59.94)restart and this might have made the game smoother.i would check your gpu website a lot of info from nvidia usually and lot of game arent friendly with crossfire or sli(might neede to disable sli for this title!

check me gw2 mainly use one core cpu ,but if i try ff 14 it uses all core equally (cpu)even thos arenanet say they use all core equally in fact they dont  (i tested)so by using mostly one core and not being balanced it will cause issue also.but i suspect your issue in particular is sli!disable sli on your 690 set gpu to 59.94 and it should smooth everything out!sli and crossfire are very hard to make work smoothly!this is why most pro use the highest single gpu card they can find (no sli no crossfire)

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    Originally posted by RelGn
    get rid of the 7800 crap and update your drivers

This

You need the updated drivers for a card like the 690. Having a 7800 in your system along with a 690, and having to run old drivers is a bad idea. You might be better off just not watching tv on an old 7800 in the same system as your 690.

Not sure what thought process figured this would be a good idea.

This discussion has been closed.