Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

30 minutes of gameplay - complete with questgivers with yellow exclamation marks

Comments

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Originally posted by Margulis
    Originally posted by Roxtarr
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by OgreRaper
    Originally posted by acidblood

And if you really don't like ! quests you can PvP your way to level cap.

Yes, if you enjoy instanced PvP. I do not. In fact, I've grown to hate it. I was hoping they'd have world PvP objectives, but I read the interview on ZAM and they're not going to have any world PvP at all (other than the random ganking that will happen on PvP servers, which can be fun, but should not be the basis of your world PvP). Probably my own fault for expecting WildStar to be much different from WoW.

Oh well, I've got my eye on TESO, which has the type of PvP I'm looking for.

Instanced pvp? The way people on this site swallow hype is becoming disgusting.

on topic, Wildstar my be this or that, but I don't think saying it does not look like WoW is a fight anyone should be fighting.

*snip*

Argue the fine details of what separates the art styles all day - the reality is that they look extremely similar and my guess is that at least 75% of mmo players are going to look at it and say to themselves "that looks like wow".  Whether that's good or bad to those people is then up to them.

So while it may be true that gamers who never look past the surfce may say "it looks exactly like" WoW, but I think it's no reason to NOT do something. I think it's bold to stay true to an artistic vision knowing full well that people will blast you for it. I think that if you spend all your time trying to NOT look like another game - when certain ideas just plain work, you've lost your vision and have become subserviant to the masses.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Yup, it looks just like WOW. Just what I am looking for. Really looking forward to this one. [And yes - I am serious.]
  • berlightberlight Member UncommonPosts: 345

Yes my wow nerdy friends.

Its a copy of WoW. Shut it down!

Death to the traitors

Beta tester maniac

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    I love the art style so it looks like a suped up version of WoW but I love it. It's evergreen what is not to love with the style.

• berlightberlight Member UncommonPosts: 345

Nah im joking :) 

I really want to join the beta of this.

Its like the only thing i want. Besides killing WoW.

Beta tester maniac

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668

so after reading the posts, i guess most ppl may hide the thruth be not for much.

imo a game that would be almost the same to wow with:

1. cartoony but quality modern graphics

2. 5/10/25 dungeons / raids

3. LFR/LFG

4. can play in a variety of pc systems and not only at high ends

5. same old combat style

6. trinity

7. arena's / bg's

8. ground / flying mounts

will be an immidiate success!

yes yes i know...mmo players got bored with wow or wow clones. they want open world pvp, dynamic world / content, dynamic combat style, no quest hubs etc etc....but i m very very sure that if a quality game appears that has none of those but all of the above will be successful and i m betting on that.

ending with a question: if blizz announce wow 2 (as it is said that this will be the new wow and not titan) and lets say that is the same old formula with only new graphics and lore, do you believe that there will be many ppl who will not care to buy it or at least give a chance? i dont think  so...

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Originally posted by Karteli
    Originally posted by Eluldor
    so it looks like the race they haven't disclosed is a gnome like engineer race

One of the races they haven't diclosed is most likely a little furry creature (like the size of the rock guy's boot). It is in several SSs and videos. The other race is most likely an undead type that is using technology, magic, or alchemy to maintain its body.

I understand that plenty of people don't read additional posts after the OP, but from what I've heard plenty  (if not the larger share) of quests do not have ! with them.

Originally posted by Karteli

Kind of disappointing.  The housing trailer made it look like housing would be un-instanced, on floating islands, where you could visit and inspect others property - even friends if you knew their address / coordinates in the 3D sky.

That would have made the game interesting for me, despite me not liking the hand holding combat system.

The trailer did have weaponized islands though, so I guess that is the future plans of attacking another house.  Very odd that a potentially cool system isn't being talked about, just a snippy "not currently."   I guess house vs house (HvH? lol) is going to be instanced also in some kind of arena battleground .. disappointing.

Doesn't mean that housing can't be within one of many different zone/cities where multuple houses exist with multiple users interacting :)

Of course.  SWTOR will also have freeroam space one day.  Nothing says it's impossible, it just won't be developed that way.

Either game feature doesn't exist currently, however.  Saying Wildstar "might" have this or "might" have that isn't as good as the developers saying it isn't going to happen.  Which they didn't say, but it's not currently included, which is a good indication of what to expect (or not to expect) at launch.

What to expect at launch is instanced housing.  Instanced PVP later.

Sorry you're just wrong. Housing has neighborhoods (and maybe some sort of guild version), where you can have plants that give bonuses/harvesting drops as well as statues out front that buff you. Players can go around and visit and get all the bonuses, then go off adventuring. One can also separate and go fly their lot up in the sky all solo-ish.

The information is out there, if you care to search for it image

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    There isn't a single upcoming MMORPG I have lower expectations for than Wildstar.

Joined - July 2004

• revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464
    That was fantastic, thanks for the video.
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I hope they plan to let you turn the telegraphing off, I can see that being so annoying for me. It looks like the Barrens in WoW in that video. I don't care, I played WoW for 4 years so that doesn't bother me, I'll play it if it's a good mmo, but I have a lot of concerns with it being way too casual a game like WoW. There's no denying it looks just like WoW. I don't see myself playing it if it's too casual friendly and just a raid gear grinding type of game. We'll have to wait to see.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_4_riSI7Ydg#!

Sadly this video changed my mind on the game.

I was kind of uninterested in the game to start with.  Saw the video, and now im interested.

Ok i can get over the wow graphics, the game has humor, town building, a story that isnt a try-hard overly epic attempt to be awesome..which always falls flat as lame and boring in my eyes.  Its a simple story and more of a foundation of a story, which is what it should be.  Rebels vs empire is played out but theres no try hard story behind it all.

What got me was the GvG.  Bulding guild towns or forts and then seiging others is a type of endgame i can get behind.  My only curiosity is how its done with the faction element of the game.  Keep npc factions in the mix and its fail.  Let guilds be their own entities and war eachother with their ranks consisting of any player...and thats a win.

I do wish the game was more sci-fi and less fantasy cartoon looking though. Also wish NCsoft wasnt involved.

Other than that i changing my mind to meh to sort of interested.  It looks like a fun game and thats all i really care about i guess.

• BroomyBroomy Member UncommonPosts: 487

I am giving it a whirl.  Yes, it does look like WOW but that isnt a problem for me, I always loved the ageless graphics of WOW.  what really gets me though is the combat!  After playing GW2 and TERA, I am hooked on action combat and if its that good in WS they have my money.  Also the game has some awesome features: Townbuilding, player housing, seize and capture events....its all too good to pass up.  Definitely giving it a try.

Current Games: WOW, EVE Online

• StrommStromm Member Posts: 243

Thanks for the vid, it certainly got me interested.

If the game plays well as a team game as well as solo then I think I'm in.

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

I really don't understand the constant claims that it looks exactly like WoW... the models and textures in Wildstar are much better. Even if you're comparing on art style alone they have few similarities beyond the slightly charictured cartoony style (and if that's your argument then every photorealistic game is a clone of Crysis?). If there's anything it actually looks graphically similar to I'd say Ratchet & Clank/Jak & Daxter, not WoW.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Anyone get that SPORE meets World of Warcraft feeling while watching this?  The creatures just remind me of Spore, especially the tribal settlement at the beginning, met with a bit of Galatic Adventures with some of the technology and the way NPCs talk.

It might be interesting as I enjoyed playing Spore, but felt it fell short of it's potential and how a bigger universe would've been better for it.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • VembumeesVembumees Member Posts: 79

WoW didn't invent cartoony artstyle, but since you say it looks exactly like WoW, that's more of a compliment, because indeed, it must be the only game I have yet seen that has an art style done exactly as good or even better than WoW. Overall, mmorpg's are about gameplay, not graphics. If you realistic looking artstyle, then we have Bless coming, just for you (well I am definitely going for it as well).

Overall I simply love the cartoony art style and I am sure that's one of the things why WoW is so appealing to everyone, it looks nice. It doesn't have ridiculous requirements and it looks nice on whatever graphics you run. It's a graphics style that is appealing to mostly everyone. Honestly, the entire world of this game looks very appealing and that's probably why people get so easily interested in this one, I mean, we all have seen WoW clones, a lot of them, and most of us don't give a shit about them. But this is a first "wow clone" that actually looks like a presentable and promising game, other than a cheap fast production. We will see when it gets released tho ;)

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Here is the 30 minute video where you can see the UI and also the questgivers - didn't even try to avoid the wow comparison with that one.   And you can see as he picks up quest they did indeed go with their "130 characters or less quest text" - so that's even more bland.  See for yourself.

30 minutes of gameplay ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DCqgowlTKo

Yellow !?? Oh, the horror, the HORROR!!... ^^  From what I've seen, Wildstar looks like a great deal of fun. The only thing that really concerns me is that their publisher is NCsoft. Which means that at the slightest sign of weakness, they will be axed, like NCsoft has done to four or five other western games at this point.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • VembumeesVembumees Member Posts: 79
    Originally posted by Wraithone

Here is the 30 minute video where you can see the UI and also the questgivers - didn't even try to avoid the wow comparison with that one.   And you can see as he picks up quest they did indeed go with their "130 characters or less quest text" - so that's even more bland.  See for yourself.

30 minutes of gameplay ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DCqgowlTKo

Yellow !?? Oh, the horror, the HORROR!!... ^^  From what I've seen, Wildstar looks like a great deal of fun. The only thing that really concerns me is that their publisher is NCsoft. Which means that at the slightest sign of weakness, they will be axed, like NCsoft has done to four or five other western games at this point.

That was my issue as well, I absolutely hate NCsoft decision making and just have to hope that they don't scrap too many development ideas from the game. The game looks very fun, promising and looks like it tries to have a wide amount of content for all players. Well, we will see by the end of the year (I somehow doubt that it will release in this year tho) ;)

This far all the design looks amazing in my opinion tho.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

the characters can FLY? wth? Oo

anyway the game looks awesome ,graphics yeah , cartoonish but i dont mind if the gameplay is awesome (and looks like its)

• Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566
    Originally posted by TheHavok

So what I took from the video.

Graphics:  Animated, Cartoony, WoW-like.  I know a lot of people don't like that style.  I personally enjoyed it once I got use to it. +/-

Atmosphere: Silly but warlike.  Ratchet and Clank feel with a little bit of Borderlands.  I think they mentioned 'Firefly vibe' in the video.  Kind of reminds me of WoW (again) but with a tad more focus on technology and sci-fi elements and less on old fantasy. +

Level design: Shit everywhere and just waiting to be explored, travelled on, and explored again!  While its not clear in the video HOW linear or non-linear the game will be, it SEEMED that there were dynamic events occurring based on where the player travelled.  Sort of Guild Wars 2/Warhammer like and making me think its leaning towards non-linear.  It still had quest-givers scattered throughout the area, which is pretty traditional MMORPG like.  Personally, i'm okay with that but I can see how it can be a turn off to people tired of the system. +

Combat and controls: Awesome, awesome and more awesome.  Kind of like a mix between DDO, GW2 and Tera.  Too many MMOs develop their content where you just sit in one spot and attack, move, sit in another spot and attack, move, sit in another spot and attack, ect.  Adding a lot of movement elements into your combat through various abilities makes combat much more dynamic then the vast majority of MMORPGS.  It opens more options for fighting and it raises the skill cap.  With double dodging and shift sprinting,  I think hardcore pvp players will really take a liking to this system.  Additionally it makes PvE much more fun (and the potential to be challenging) if you are required to be constantly positioning your character while fighting.  Combat awareness seems like it will be a big factor in this game (which is good).  ++

Customization: Going from what the producer said, it seems like you definitely have playstle options for each class.  He mentioned his chain saw wielding warrior who can play as tank, dps, or utility, CC which hints at classes not having to play only one role.  This will be great for opening up options to players and not Pigeonholing them into certain roles (atleast if each option is viable). +

Trinity: It looks like they are using it.  Some people are sick of this.  Some people don't care because there are no better alternatives out there.  Personally, I don't mind it but i'm not a big PvE guy anyways - I prefer PvP which relies on a lot more utility.  I do think that the way the combat is set up, everybody will be having so much fun with moving and attacking that the trinity will end up not even being that big of a deal. +/-

This is actually the first time i've seen Wildstar in action and I was pleasantly surprised.  The game looks good.  Yeah, it looks very WoW-like, but unlike Rift, Warhammer, and SWTOR (IMO the 3 biggest WoW-clones), the combat in Wildstar looks VERY solid.  It seems like the devs were really aiming to bring a good combat and control system.  I'm glad that this game is on my radar now and I will definitely be tracking its progress.

Thank you for the constructive read!  I feel bad for the people that get hung up on one ambient feature and gloss over the significant pieces of functionality that a game provides.  I think this sounds like a lot of fun and won't be ignoring it just because some NPCs have exclamation marks over their head.  I'm curious what MMOs those types of people play.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Originally posted by Rockard

People say that SWTOR is like WoW in space,but this is

literally WoW in space.wow

and thats why there is all keys to success with this one. 

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    Originally posted by Skuall

No, that's just the devs be dirty, filthy cheaters.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by acidblood
    Originally posted by Skuall

No, that's just the devs be dirty, filthy cheaters.

Thats to be expected. Dev's almost always cheat, its one of the perks of being a Dev. ^^

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • LaedermaskenLaedermasken Member UncommonPosts: 18

I hate that the monsters show where they are Going to hit with large colorored spots . 

Looks horrible! And makes it too Easy imo you can avoid every attack just by looking at the circles and spots .

Graphicswise it looks cool but generic .

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Firedorn
    Originally posted by jnsereno

The world design is almost like a direct port from world of warcraft.

Like, literally, it looks the exact same.

It's starts in the Barrens...but the chat seems dead...

I too had a deja vu feeling when i saw the video. if i ignore the UI it is like watching WOW in action ;)

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney