Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I Quit MMOs But The Secret World Dragged Me Back

Earlier this year I gave up MMOs. Not because I grew tired of the games I was playing, but rather because I felt a need to ALWAYS be playing. The daily grind of being level-capped in WoW plus the wonderment of a new world with Rift was stealing too many hours. So I ended it. 

But then I found TSW. I did my 3-day trial and fell in love (not the weaird kind, sicko). Now I have purchased the game and have really been enjoying my time in this alternate reality where clandestine organizations and mythical monsters abound. I really feel like I've found the one to stick with. I don't feel compelled to be on for the duration of my waking hours, and as much as I love the questing in Kingsmouth area I don't get into this chain reaction of "one more thing" that lasts several hours. It's super fun for sure, but I feel okay about stepping away. 

If you haven't bought it yet I would like to recommend you give it a try. I am more than willing to toss you a buddy key if you want to try before you buy.

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    The Secret World is weird game. I like it, a lot, but i cant log i every day because of reasons ive mentioned a lot in the past. Character and combat animations kill it for me, entirely. But i noticed when im not playing any mmo i tend to think about TSW's dark theme a lot and i really wish i could jsut play every day. But the second thing i am most picky about (the first being food) is game features and i just dont play when i dont enjoy the things i do the majority of the time in a game, watch my character move around, and fight. No matter how much i like everything else in a game. I just cant force it. When i log in, i log out for a few weeks before logging in again.

• spookycalkinsspookycalkins Member Posts: 19
    I hear you. I do. I guess my proclivity towards the subject matter which abounds in TSW has won my geeky heart. Personally, I don't see a lot of trouble in the same areas you mentioned, but I can sympathize with your reaction. If those problems are there for you it would be hard to get into it. I have tried out several different MMOs in the past that I may have absolutely loved had it not been for certain details that may not matter to anyone else, but to me they were deal breakers. 
  • FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

the good thing is it does not build on addiction, it´s not repetitive or grindy, so you can play it like a normal game for the story and come always back for a new story issue like watching a new episode of a TV series.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by spookycalkins

Earlier this year I gave up MMOs. Not because I grew tired of the games I was playing, but rather because I felt a need to ALWAYS be playing. The daily grind of being level-capped in WoW plus the wonderment of a new world with Rift was stealing too many hours. So I ended it. 

But then I found TSW. I did my 3-day trial and fell in love (not the weaird kind, sicko). Now I have purchased the game and have really been enjoying my time in this alternate reality where clandestine organizations and mythical monsters abound. I really feel like I've found the one to stick with. I don't feel compelled to be on for the duration of my waking hours, and as much as I love the questing in Kingsmouth area I don't get into this chain reaction of "one more thing" that lasts several hours. It's super fun for sure, but I feel okay about stepping away. 

Glad you're enjoyng the ride -- I'm the same way with TSW; no need to rush.  The game feels perfect for taking small bits at a time.  Maybe because there are no levels to worry about?  Or just the limit on the number of missions?  I think it's because the story and puzzles are good enough that you just want to slow down and just pay attention a bit more; the way the quests are tiered, you're really spending time getting through the mini-story, so just doing a few at a time works well.

FromHell and Ortwig. Thanks for the replies! Glad to know I'm not alone in my experience with TSW. Maybe we'll team up some time to kill some zombies, since at this rate I will be in Kingsmouth for the rest of eternity :)
  • iozayiozay Member UncommonPosts: 29
    And kingsmouth is awesome! :) Too be honest, TSW is played the best as a casual MMO(Even though it is also hardcore friendly). It has the best of both worlds(Single player RPG/Multiplayer) :p
    So true, iozay! It's so casual-friendly. I love that. 
  • SteazySteazy Member Posts: 39
    I bought the game awhile ago,  liked it but didnt really give it a chance.  I picked it back up a couple of weeks ago and have got sucked in after getting to the 3rd area.  Also after getting two skills that had good synergy it made the world in the fun factor.
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Seriously tempted myself, at the price it is at today, even if i get a few months out of it I have got value for money out of it.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

It's defintely at least worth the box price :)

I will tell you this much. Once you get a dozen abilities or so under your belt with the your two favorite weapons it will behoove you to find a website that gives you some direcrtion as to what a good combination is. I was following the Preacher deck with blades and blood, but after I decided to look up what other people were having success with I started killing entire groups of enemies in a quarter to a third of the time! Just switching out a few abilities did the trick. I suppose I could have just read the abilities better, but this sped it up.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    It is a fun game, at least starting out and I loved Kingsmouth, was fun to sub for a few months.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468
    I do think this game has some interesting points to it , not the least of which is the puzzles which are actually challenging, considering how many MMO's are brain numbing easy i get the appeal. The problem i have is the combat since so much of what you do in MMO's is combat and that's where my interest grinds to a hault. But hey if people like the game more power to them
  • Ashar1972Ashar1972 Member UncommonPosts: 24

I've been playing since beta (bought life membership thingy), and I agree, the "fullness" of the story (relatively speaking) is something that makes playing this game slowly so much fun. When I was co-ordinating a cabal it was a real effort to get players to stop skipping content and rushing to the "end game." They missed so much good stuff. 

I jump on once a week or two, and I really enjoy it. I am impressed that since they went b2p they are still delivering on the content, and the content is fun, for me, and obviously others. I hear peoples' unease/dislike with the character animations, and expect them to be sorted in the coming year.

It was interesting, for me, to listen to friends and colleagues that stopped playing. I was surprised that some didn't want the challenge that certain investigation missions present. For me, those missions have been a big selling point of the game, and that this game actually has had something more than kill x number of y, rinse and repeat, is a breathe of fresh air. That those missions have been the majority of the new content released is also refreshing.

I still jump on other MMOs like STO for the foundry stuff, and it's accommodation for ease of pace. I also jump on RIft, because Trion has been, again relatively speaking, one of the nicer players in the MMO landscape, and I want to support that. I tired to visit an old guild of mine in WoW, but unfortunately the game has gone of on several tangents I just don't like (clearly a huge number of people disagree with me there), and I really don't like Blizzard's customer relations at all.

TSW was unfortunately created by folks who thought it would be more than a niche market, with a bad MMO history. I think that more than anything has been it's biggest bane, for me, rather than the sub-standard animations etc.

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by PWN_FACE

It's a good pve game. I like the complexity of the skill system. However, I have cooled to playing mmorpgs for a bit because at the end, most of them seem to just be gear progression games. TSW is no different in that respect.

If you go stand in Agartha, you will see people spamming for groups and see what I mean. While there is absolutely nothing wrong with that kind of game, I feel like I've played it before. If you haven't played gear-progression endgames before, or if you like them, then I think TSW is a great game.

Otherwise, there are casual friendly games like WoW and games that require a bit more dedication, like TSW.  Also, I'm not saying WoW is easy, but if you are satisfied with LFR gear, then WoW is definitely casual-friendly. You can enjoy the endgame gear progression.

I want to know if it's possible to make an mmorpg that doesn't feature gear progression as its endgame. That would be something new.

have you never heard of gw2?

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Started watching youtube videos on this game today and got pulled in. Downloading now and cant wait to get started.image
  • VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

IMO, TSW and GW2 should be on any MMO player's harddrive.

Should be a staple, like Skyrim.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• CryptorCryptor Member UncommonPosts: 523
    Everyone should at least try Secret World.  If you don't you just won't have a balanced impression of what mmorpgs can be.
  • QuorinaQuorina Member Posts: 41

I played TSW last July when it released for about a week before I quit. I had originally quit because I tried a quest labelled "Devestating" and completely failed it. It frustrated me so I ended up quitting.  I was in the zone after Kingsmouth, I forget what it was called.

Now, almost a year later I am back and really enjoying the game, so long as I stay away from the Devestating quests, I'm sure. I love the graphics, the immersion, the ambience, the music, and would easily give this game a 8.5 out of 10. I haven't had this much fun in a while, and I've only played for a few hours since downloading it again.

I have a couple of questions, though. 1) How do I make a healing specific character? I did a Google search and it told me to go Fists and I did but I'm not seeing any healing specific skills. 2) What is the end-game like in this game?

Feel free to send me a private message! Thanks!

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Also enjoying the game alot.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I play MMOs hoping for a hook. Something that's going to make me want to keep playing. TSW just didn't have that. I played the story and then I was done. That left me disappointed, because that's not why I wanted to play it. I can get that experience from far far better single player games. I like TSW.. it was ok.. but I can't help but think while playing it how amazing it could have been with that lore and that much effort put into the missions if it had been developed as a single player game instead. It seems to suffer from all the negatives of being an MMO and hardly any of the positives.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • atuerstaratuerstar Member Posts: 234
    Originally posted by Quorina

I played TSW last July when it released for about a week before I quit. I had originally quit because I tried a quest labelled "Devestating" and completely failed it. It frustrated me so I ended up quitting.  I was in the zone after Kingsmouth, I forget what it was called.

Now, almost a year later I am back and really enjoying the game, so long as I stay away from the Devestating quests, I'm sure. I love the graphics, the immersion, the ambience, the music, and would easily give this game a 8.5 out of 10. I haven't had this much fun in a while, and I've only played for a few hours since downloading it again.

I have a couple of questions, though. 1) How do I make a healing specific character? I did a Google search and it told me to go Fists and I did but I'm not seeing any healing specific skills. 2) What is the end-game like in this game?

Fists, Blood and Assault Rifles are your healing weapons.

You will notice the inner ring of skills for any weapon has two "blocks" of available skills. One will always be damage skills, dps, and the other block will offer support skills which can be healing, buffing/debuffing, tanking etc. Once you have filled out that inner ring 6 blocks open per weapon. Three of the those blocks will be more dps while the other three are more oriented around the support abilities of that weapon with some damage abilities too.

Another tip - you dont have to use all +healing gear. You will find a couple of +health tanking pieces will give you a lot more survivability while learning the game and instances.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by Quorina

Hey there!  Here are a good few sites on creating better builds -- hope these help!  :)

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=66643 (read the weapons, gear and mission sections)

http://yokaiblog.wikidot.com/guides:build-mechanics

http://wordpress.tswguides.com/tsw-build-page/

Endgame can be pretty much what you want it to but but many folks focus on doing the Nightmare mode dungeons (8), the Lairs (8) and the Raids (2).  Here's a bit more on endgame:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/04/08/chaos-theory-exploring-endgame/

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

TSW is the only 'latest' MMO gracing my hard drive these days.EQ1,Vanguard,and The Secret World..

Its so much more refreshing than the other MMO's out today imo..

• mikelafalcemikelafalce Member Posts: 13
    I left because I felt the subscription was not worth it. I did buy the game and now its F2P so I may come back.
  • SquatchinSquatchin Member Posts: 93

My wife and I are currently playing this, and we are a having a blast.  I can look past the clunky combat and meh character models, because the missions and overall atmosphere more then make up for it.

It truly is a wonderful game.