Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is my graphic performance so bad?

WootloopsWootloops Member UncommonPosts: 165

I have a six core i7-3930k, a GTX 690, 16 GB of RAM, and an SSD, and for some reason the game is just choppy and slow, most noticeably if I spin around really fast, causing everything to lock up for like half a second.

I turned off dual GPU mode for the 690, turned off windowed mode for the game, and tried messing with the graphics settings but nothing really helped.

Maybe it's my Nvidia drivers, as I'm stuck on 307.74 because I use a second 7800 GTX card for extra monitors, and that's the last driver to support that card, but these drivers came out well after Guild Wars 2 was released.

With all graphics settings maxed (No vertical sync), running in a straight line in the Azura starting area I get like 45-60 FPS depending on the area, and as soon as I start even slightly turning, it drops to 25-45 FPS.

I feel like I should be getting better results with my specs.

Comments

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    I have an inferior pc, lower specs across board and it runs fine. Bizzarly I have had to reinstall drivers twice, something seems to knock them out on my pc every now and then. I would go for a clean install of drivers. Be rest assured you pc is plenty power enough ( I'm assuming you are on a 64 bit system to allow use of > 2gb memory which is a must.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• WootloopsWootloops Member UncommonPosts: 165
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    I have an inferior pc, lower specs across board and it runs fine. Bizzarly I have had to reinstall drivers twice, something seems to knock them out on my pc every now and then. I would go for a clean install of drivers. Be rest assured you pc is plenty power enough ( I'm assuming you are on a 64 bit system to allow use of > 2gb memory which is a must.

I just reinstalled Windows completely this week, so I did more than just reinstall the drivers, but it's still the same. And yeah my system is 64 bit.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I don't much follow the game anymore but lastr i remember they had a problem with their coding that helps optimize graphics.

I am tired right now ,so i forget terms but basically grahpics need to draw ONLY what you see,trying to draw everything in a map is just real bad.

Also different areas would matter,example how many opbjects are been drawn.One of hte main things to turn down in games is Shadows [off] and Shaders.

However as i have played EQ2 many times,they optiomized the settings poorly,where as changes seem to be more off or on  with very little variance in settings.This could be the case in this game as well,so you might think you turn down a setting a little and it does nothing.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Doesn't the 690 have multiple video outputs? I don't think you need a second card for a second monitor.

It has 4 outputs, but with dual GPU enabled, you can only use 3, and I have 4 monitors. And I want to get even more monitors, too.

Originally posted by Wizardry

I don't much follow the game anymore but lastr i remember they had a problem with their coding that helps optimize graphics.

I am tired right now ,so i forget terms but basically grahpics need to draw ONLY what you see,trying to draw everything in a map is just real bad.

Also different areas would matter,example how many opbjects are been drawn.One of hte main things to turn down in games is Shadows [off] and Shaders.

However as i have played EQ2 many times,they optiomized the settings poorly,where as changes seem to be more off or on  with very little variance in settings.This could be the case in this game as well,so you might think you turn down a setting a little and it does nothing.

Turning shadows completely off finally makes the game run acceptably, but it's not really acceptable that I have to run with no shadows given my specs.

• KalestonKaleston Member Posts: 173

Many of my guildmates complain, there was something in latest patches, which made game extremely laggy (in graphic sense, not network lag). There is definitely something in settings, that literaly kills your performance...

I found shadows, reflections and postprocessing are the worst.

There are also some rumors about data flow in graphics card. I'm not expert in this field, but apparently it has nothing to do with processors and how much memory you have, but with how wide buses are and how fast your graphic card can transfer data.

Originally posted by Wootloops
    Doesn't the 690 have multiple video outputs? I don't think you need a second card for a second monitor.

It has 4 outputs, but with dual GPU enabled, you can only use 3, and I have 4 monitors. And I want to get even more monitors, too.

Maybe a second 690 would be a wise idea then. That old card will slow your system down no matter what, and you will remain stuck with those old drivers which will certainly give you more problems in the future.

By the way, the 690 can use 4 monitors even in dual-GPU mode. You can use 3 for "surround" gaming and the last one for web browsing and desktop stuff.

Don't how the 7800 would be slowing down the system, other than by making me stuck on older drivers. It's not doing anything other than drawing one of my monitors, and even if I move my games to that monitor, the 690 is still the one rendering the games. And yeah you can use 4 monitors with dual GPU mode, but it's a worse GPU mode ("Activate all displays" vs "Maximize GPU performance"). Surround is one of the modes too, but I have monitors with different shapes and resolutions, so I can't use it, and I wouldn't really want to anyway, as I run all my games in non-fullscreen windows.

Regardless, I used Guild Wars 2 before I even put the 7800 in the system anyway, and it was the same way.

Originally posted by Kaleston

Many of my guildmates complain, there was something in latest patches, which made game extremely laggy (in graphic sense, not network lag). There is definitely something in settings, that literaly kills your performance...

I found shadows, reflections and postprocessing are the worst.

There are also some rumors about data flow in graphics card. I'm not expert in this field, but apparently it has nothing to do with processors and how much memory you have, but with how wide buses are and how fast your graphic card can transfer data.

I read something about 690's having half the memory bus size because of the fact that it's two GPUs in one PCI slot, so perhaps that's part of the issue.

Just curious... what's the point of having so many monitors then if not for surround gaming?

Multitasking. Currently I have it set up as such:

Left monitor: World of Warcraft, Mumble, Sticky Notes, my twitter app, and my chat windows.

Center monitor: Guild Wars 2, my video player (Game of Thrones), and one of my browser windows.

Right monitor: Second browser window.

Above monitor: Assortment of pictures, a looping slideshow, and a looping video of hot girls.

And I always run out of room too. The command center is never complete.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Make sure your cards aren't getting hot. /shrug

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Just curious... what's the point of having so many monitors then if not for surround gaming?

I read something about 690's having half the memory bus size because of the fact that it's two GPUs in one PCI slot, so perhaps that's part of the issue.

Personaly, if I wanted a "many monitors" system, I'd rather go for 2x680 than 1x690... or even better, if I really want to get mad, 2x AMD 7970, which support 6 displays each.

Well yeah, that'd be ideal, but I blew all my budget on the main system, so now I'm chilling with my old 7800 until I can get a better card (Not so much in terms of power, but in ports, as the 7800 only has two). I hope there's a way I can run an AMD card with an Nvidia card in one system that isn't half broken, because 6 ports is bawse. I've heard windows can run 2 drivers at the same time, but it's buggy. Should look into that for even my current set up.

Personaly, if I wanted a "many monitors" system, I'd rather go for 2x680 than 1x690... or even better, if I really want to get mad, 2x AMD 7970, which support 6 displays each.

Well yeah, that'd be ideal, but I blew all my budget on the main system, so now I'm chilling with my old 7800 until I can get a better card (Not so much in terms of power, but in ports, as the 7800 only has two). I hope there's a way I can run an AMD card with an Nvidia card in one system that isn't half broken, because 6 ports is bawse. I've heard windows can run 2 drivers at the same time, but it's buggy. Should look into that for even my current set up.

Well actually thats not ideal. A 690 and a 7970 would be ideal, and a 690 and a 680 would be more ideal than two 680s.

Multitasking. Currently I have it set up as such:

Left monitor: World of Warcraft, Mumble, Sticky Notes, my twitter app, and my chat windows.

Center monitor: Guild Wars 2, my video player (Game of Thrones), and one of my browser windows.

Right monitor: Second browser window.

Above monitor: Assortment of pictures, a looping slideshow, and a looping video of hot girls.

And I always run out of room too. The command center is never complete.

No offense, but if you run than many things at once, you can expect even your super powerful computer to be slowed down quite a bit...

I've run it with everything closed, it makes no difference. With Guild Wars 2 selected, my processor utilization is only 37%, and if I drop WoW, it cuts in half. And my RAM is at 61%. Dunno what the GPU utilization is, but again, with WoW and everything closed, it doesn't change the performance, and that's to be expected with a 6 core processor with hyperthreading, and a 690. The only that isn't working as expected is Guild Wars' overall performance, regardless of what is open.

• berlightberlight Member UncommonPosts: 345

Seems like you are having a micro stuttering problem, it doesnt matter what pc you got,  GW2 is a really bad optimized game, there is no solution for the problem...there are people that never got the micro stuttering solved and there are others that never experienced that problem, ati and nvidia drivers doenst work and arenanet informed when the game came out that they were going to fix the bug. Until today there is no solution what so ever only some little performance tweaks.

I´ve always played the game with that problem, and some of my friends aswell. That´s one of the reason i left the game.

Spec:

i5 2500k oc 4.6

msi 7970

16gb

ssd

Beta tester maniac

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    The game probably is not optimized properly for higher end cards.
  • berlightberlight Member UncommonPosts: 345
    Originally posted by Normandy7

Indeed...A friend of mine never got that micro stuttering problem and he got a 560ti...

Beta tester maniac

• zastrophzastroph Member Posts: 242

I have had this problem as well.

When I try to turn to run away it freezes for a second or 2. Had to learn how to avoid doing this and find another solution! Most of the time it's fine and you have enough time anyway, and with the rest your one hit down anyway!

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    Yeah I've noticed since launch the performance has got alot worse(for me anyway). Hopefully Anet will do a round of optimisation soon.

Kind of defeats the purpose of a high end card.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Well it's not the same card, but it is in the same series and mine runs great! GTX 670

Like I asked the OP before, is your card overheating? You have two cards in your box, is it ventilated enough?

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494
    get rid of the 7800 crap and update your drivers

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I remember people during the beta weekends saying that the game was still cpu bound, and that the processors were not being fully used.  Idk if it ever changed.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Well it's not the same card, but it is in the same series and mine runs great! GTX 670

Like I asked the OP before, is your card overheating? You have two cards in your box, is it ventilated enough?

Don't have anything installed that can tell me, but I doubt it. I've played Crysis 2 for like 12 hours straight with it and it runs like butter. Everything else I play runs like butter too. It's only Guild Wars that plays bad. And my case in an Alienware Aurora R4, so it has whatever ventilation that has.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by RelGn

^ especially with the 690 I know numerous games with issues with dual GPU cards..drivers generally fixes most of these issues.. Id try the latest betas which just released couple days ago

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by RelGn

Like going black, once you go 4 monitors, you can't go back.

This discussion has been closed.