Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Our beloved instrumental classes...

gipfeligipfeli Member UncommonPosts: 98

Good day everyone!

In daoc every realm had it's own *instrumental* class. They were all used different in combat. I would really like to see some instrumental classes again but would also like to take their musical-skill even further.

The idea brings me back to how the entertainer class in star wars galaxies worked.

Just for people not knowing anything about the SWG's entertainer: Entertainers were mostly the *social* profession hanging around in cantinas, healing the peoples battle fatigue (which added up while fighting) butfing a little here and there and joking around.. well: entertained the people :>. They could group up with other entertainers to build up a band with dancers and musicans to increase the healing rate for the battle fatigue of combat professions.

This entertainment-system brought people together to just hang around in the cantina after a day of battles and roughness.. to rebuild the group or the tactics.. or just to have a talk and get known each other.

What if a system like this would be added to the instrumental - classes in CU too?

It would be totally awesome to give the instrumental-classes the freedom to compose they're own songs, maybe even sell these songs to others, or build a band to entertain people in the inn of the capitol city.. or of course at a guild- or any other roleplay (does it even still exist?) event.

Surely, they don't need to be a social class-only, they could still go in battle, grouping up and help in the fight as they did in daoc, if it's not they're cup of tea to entertain people. In combat i would just like to hear them a little more inside the battle. Using the wardrums to buff your own people or shouting a horrific warcry to the enemies to stun them.. just give the single instruments some more freedom and maybe more then just 5 tunes.. let them create they're own songs :)

In SWG the higher battle fatigue you had, the slower you regged your health (i think?). If a system like this would be implemented it should not be to harsh if battle fatigue increases.. so you don't really need to get it healed every 3 or 4 hours. Maybe just a little decrease in something which doesn't effect the battle itself or just if it's way to high.

I just felt like the whole gaming community got a bit harsh lately.. and for a lot of people there is no need to talk to each other anymore.. with a system like this it maybe could get a bit better :> It would just add a little more *socializing* to bring people together.. again

What do you guys think about a system like this? Yes? No? Maybe?

Gipfeli

Comments

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    The fact that SWG had the entertainer class was a key reason why I didn't bother buying it. I don't want to see that in CU. CSE will have enough on its plate getting all the classes ready for RvRing. The devs don't need to be spending their time on non-combat classes at this point.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• VargurVargur Member CommonPosts: 143
    Originally posted by meddyck
    The fact that SWG had the entertainer class was a key reason why I didn't bother buying it. I don't want to see that in CU. CSE will have enough on its plate getting all the classes ready for RvRing. The devs don't need to be spending their time on non-combat classes at this point.

While spending time in taverns to recover from battles might not be the best way to go, I think the musician classes can play a larger role in buffing than they did in DAoC. Historically, skalds/minstrels/bards were instrumental in lifting an army's spirits by reciting heroic deeds and calling out for courage under fire, so to speak.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    No.  This is a niche game by design let them focus on the fundamental classes and game play.  
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• OdamanOdaman Member UncommonPosts: 195
    MJ was saying something about maybe having bards do buffing and debuffs ( probably something like chosen/kotbs in war i'd imagine... where songs have a beneficial and negative effect for those in the area). That said a social class sounds like a waste of time.
  • EllyaEllya Member Posts: 99

Mark posted on a thread when discussing bards/ minstrels and the aesthetic quality of the songs they play. He said that he had a member of staff who was somewhat of a composer and a "sound guy". Would it be so much of a stretch for the musical classes to be able to play  non-combat music in the taverns/mead halls?

Some of the best player made videos to come out DAoC and LotRo are the ones involving musicians. It would be a shame not to see it as something to add in, perhaps as a stretch goal, or a later addition.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Ellya

Mark posted on a thread when discussing bards/ minstrels and the aesthetic quality of the songs they play. He said that he had a member of staff who was somewhat of a composer and a "sound guy". Would it be so much of a stretch for the musical classes to be able to play  non-combat music in the taverns/mead halls?

Some of the best player made videos to come out DAoC and LotRo are the ones involving musicians. It would be a shame not to see it as something to add in, perhaps as a stretch goal, or a later addition.

Just seems that people are begging for their favorite class, which is wrong.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

I'd like to see something along the lines of the Bard class in Vanguard. Songs were made up of components; codas, melodies etc, each one giving a specific buff to say haste, crit or attack power. You basically combined the component parts to create your own personal "song" which gave the corresponding buffs, without having to "twist" and giving yourself carpel.

You'd combine different things to create songs for different occasions, buffing, debuffing, and of course, the good old run speed buff. Each component cost a certain number of points and you couldn't exceed a certain amount in any one song, preventing you from just using every buff/debuff you'd ever learned in one song.

Once you picked the "composition" you wanted for a fight you could start it off and then start using your melee attacks. No need to grow an extra couple of fingers to keep your songs going and you felt like you were more usefull by doing some actual damage.

Without doubt the best version of a Bard I have ever played.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

Then you missed out on the best mmorpg ever made for the most rediculous reason.

SWG's social aspect of cantinas was simply awesome and utterly unique, it was a complete blast because it catered to social players, crafters and combat classes....i can't begin to describe the fun I had in SWG as a musician.

MJ has said he wants to promote the "rpg" aspect of this game, i can't think of many better ideas than social abilites and taverns to promote this.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by waynejr2
    Originally posted by Ellya

Just seems that people are begging for their favorite class, which is wrong.

Indeed, but as it's leaching on DAoC's legacy this is really inevitable.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• SaevelSaevel Member UncommonPosts: 102
    Originally posted by Zinzan

Then you missed out on the best mmorpg ever made for the most rediculous reason.

SWG's social aspect of cantinas was simply awesome and utterly unique, it was a complete blast because it catered to social players, crafters and combat classes....i can't begin to describe the fun I had in SWG as a musician.

MJ has said he wants to promote the "rpg" aspect of this game, i can't think of many better ideas than social abilites and taverns to promote this.

While I very much agree with everything you say here, I don't think that neccessitates such classes. You could still be able to pick social abilities up separately from the combat part of the game.

In fact, that might be a cool touch- having out-of-combat "prestige classes" that don't serve a direct purpose in terms of gameplay, but add a visual reward for contribution to the social/rp aspect. Not saying this should be prioritized of course, but it might add to the feel of the world.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Same here, that's the one thing that made me not buy SWG.  I'd rather the instrument classes in CU (if there are any) be like DAOC, their instruments served a purpose and made the classes unique. It would be nice though if you could play music in your free time like you can with LoTR online, their music system is awesome.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• OutisOutis Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

I'd like to see something along the lines of the Bard class in Vanguard. Songs were made up of components; codas, melodies etc, each one giving a specific buff to say haste, crit or attack power. You basically combined the component parts to create your own personal "song" which gave the corresponding buffs, without having to "twist" and giving yourself carpel.

You'd combine different things to create songs for different occasions, buffing, debuffing, and of course, the good old run speed buff. Each component cost a certain number of points and you couldn't exceed a certain amount in any one song, preventing you from just using every buff/debuff you'd ever learned in one song.

Once you picked the "composition" you wanted for a fight you could start it off and then start using your melee attacks. No need to grow an extra couple of fingers to keep your songs going and you felt like you were more usefull by doing some actual damage.

Without doubt the best version of a Bard I have ever played.

I would have to agree. The way the bard was done in VG was a lot of fun. They were far from a solo character as well but brought a ton to the table for a group. The component part of the songs were great.

• gipfeligipfeli Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Originally posted by Zinzan

This is.... well you could... at least .... i mean you.... I'm just... WOW!!

Really nicely done.. you just brought my whole mind to crunch.. I'm speechless!

If you'd say that you didn't buy SWG for being a sci-fi.. or running on a bad engine.. or that the combat feels very clunky and is a little bit brainless I could totally understand, probably also agree with you.

But not buying SWG for the plump reason for having a social class, which you don't have to play at all...

If you'd say: "I would never get married with Winnie The Poo because there are way to many cat movies on Youtube" it would make more sense to me..

I'm really sorry, sometimes I'm just a little stupid.. I must have misunderstood something out of your post, could you please explain your first sentence for a dumb guy like me?

This is what my Thread should have headed for. I would love to see some RPG in a RPG.

Originally posted by Tayah

Same here, that's the one thing that made me not buy SWG.  I'd rather the instrument classes in CU (if there are any) be like DAOC, their instruments served a purpose and made the classes unique. It would be nice though if you could play music in your free time like you can with LoTR online, their music system is awesome.

Agree with you (at least the red colored part)!

The idea i had with my Thread was not to create a new class at all. If you'd like to add the bard as the bard was in daoc, so be it, it could still be compatible with the concept i mentioned. It wouldn't change the instrumental class for being potent in combat at all. I'm not for a social only class here, just to make myself clear.

What's crystallizing out of your replies (and also in other Threads) so far is that most of you just want to have the RVR and nothing else. Since RVR is the plat principal in CU they better don't work on anything else before they get this one right! Im totally at your side at this point. If the RVR system is bad, there is no reason to do anything else because there won't be many players in the first place.

If little Pete is finished with his balancing on classes and RVR stuff and ask his boss what he should do now.. before the boss sends little Pete home, he could ask him to begin his new project .. about a system bringing people together again.. make them talk to each other.

I'm just here to help little Pete  :( !

And then there are some guys not wanting anything else because it could hold away people from RVR...

Guys.. you can't hold people back from doing something else than RVR. If they don't want to do RVR at the moment (for whatever reason, not in mood, not enough time...), they could just turn off CU and watch TV instead.

So whats the reason for NOT implementing other stuff like my tavern idea besides it could consume programming time? Since little Pete is finished with his RVR stuff let him work on something else.

I personally would like more players doing some socializing in CU then just logging out because theres nothing else to do then RVR.

Guys.. all I want is to bring people in games together again.

Let's have a seat in a tavern, talk, laugh and joke around! Sadly the todays player won't do this by his own will. If he would and there would be more people doing the same in a tavern, he would probably see what he missed out in earlier games for not doing this (actually, this is what SWG teached me). I took myself some time thinking about how it would be possible to draw people together once again.. and came up with this system. I thought i had the ULTIMATE idea (I really did oO).. was walking around in my room talking to myself.. if i had a tail it would have gone crazy! It was a little bit of a letdown to read so many *no thanks*. But since it's a forum you're absoluetly free to think your own will of course.

Probably my idea was bad.. if it is so, screw the idea.. i don't want to force it into CU.

But please.. do something to push socializing.

Sorry if I wasn't talking clear at some point, my english is very flushy and limited. If you misunderstood some things i can try to describe it for a better understanding. Hope i didn't insult anyone or something  :>

stay nice!

Gipfeli

• ArbroathArbroath Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Give me a set of bagpipes and I'll lead the charge into battle. Yes, I'll die first, but it will be glorious !

It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself. ~Declaration of Arbroath

• WazlukWazluk Member Posts: 159
    Since I stopped playing DAoC I've grown to lean more towards norse races in other MMOs and would like to play them in CU. BUT the though of playing a bard again (even if it plays quite differntly) might be hard to pass up. Go go hippy power...

Terminus
    Legend Gaming Website | Join Us!
    Wazluk - Legionnaire of Terminus
    Draken Stalker
  • MarkJacobsMarkJacobs CEO City State EntertainmentMember RarePosts: 649
    Originally posted by Arbroath
    Give me a set of bagpipes and I'll lead the charge into battle. Yes, I'll die first, but it will be glorious !

My name is Mark Jacobs and I approve of this message. :)

Time to hit the subreddit before getting back to my day job. Arbroath, this post made me smile, thanks.

Mark Jacobs
    CEO, City State Entertainment

• WazlukWazluk Member Posts: 159
    Originally posted by MarkJacobs

Time to hit the subreddit before getting back to my day job. Arbroath, this post made me smile, thanks.

But good bards don't die. You're supposed to last longer than everyone else by running in circle while all the dps kills stuff, if your group dies you speed 6 out of that joint to the nearest keep.

Some of the melee classes used to tell us bards "Die with honor!" Pfft screw that I'll meet you guys rezzing back at DL. lol Last man standing rating baby!

Terminus
    Legend Gaming Website | Join Us!
    Wazluk - Legionnaire of Terminus
    Draken Stalker
  • ArbroathArbroath Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Originally posted by MarkJacobs

It would be art imitating life, and I'm glad you liked it !

Ok, so I wasn't going into battle. But I would !!

It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself. ~Declaration of Arbroath

• StilerStiler Member Posts: 599

It's hilarious, if anyone here plays Mount and Blade Napoleanic wars, they have some muscian classes(bagpipes, drummer, flute, etc).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD5J5LEBVCk

The musicians in that game give slight buffs, drummers aid in marching speed, others in reloading speed, etc.

On top of this it's just hilarious the events you come across with people playing them.

Like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTnJXZ8LDG8&t=5m33s

Also I have to chime in here regarding SWG.

Before SWG came out and we heard about the "dancers" and things, I was one of the peolpe like "yawn, that seems a bit stupid."

However after playing SWG, it was one of the ONLY mmo's I EVER played that because of this single mechanic, it made cantinas an actual LIVELY and social place. In almost any other mmorpg it seems so many developers try to find a way to make it like a classic "hang out/social" place, but in almost any game they are ghost towns, maybe with a quest giver or something, but that's it.

In SWG, because of the entertainers, and how they "healed" combat wounds and such, it gave people reasons to go there (you can say it forced it, but it wasn't like an over-bearing forcefullness, you didn't have to go all the time after you died, just after so long you'd want to). However from going there, it added more to the game, because people actually socialized, talked, struck up conversations, groups formed there, etc.

I think while it might have sounded "weird" to some people, it actually in pratice DID work as intended and made cantina's (which were a big part of Star Wars, i mean who doesn't remember that cantina scene and how lively it was?) a good socially active place people went to.

I'd say don't knock it til you tried it/experienced it.

• RealLifeGobboRealLifeGobbo Member Posts: 218

In DAoC, different instruments did different things, much like the game you mentioned.  These buffs were mostly AoE based, so for instance, a whole zerg could run at super speed.  You would constantly have to juggle instruments, since the each one had certain abilities assigned to it.  Some people were great at it, while others like me, well... not so much.

Aspiring Game Musician <<>> Inquiring ears, feel free to visit: http://www.youtube.com/user/vagarylabs

• JedicowboyJedicowboy Member UncommonPosts: 140
    Originally posted by Vargur

While spending time in taverns to recover from battles might not be the best way to go, I think the musician classes can play a larger role in buffing than they did in DAoC. Historically, skalds/minstrels/bards were instrumental in lifting an army's spirits by reciting heroic deeds and calling out for courage under fire, so to speak.

wow i actually had fun spending time in the cantinas listening to music while healing BF and wounds and talking to other players.

• ezduzitezduzit Member Posts: 112
    I see many people posting here with their opinions on what the game should consist of. Let them do this, let them do that, i wan't this, i hope they don't do that. Let me tell you what I hope... I hope they don't listen to ANY of you. We the people are the reason MMO's cease to do well. I hope they do what THEY want to do!