Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do MMOs include an Assassin class?

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

They are only modified warriors. They are like DPS warriors, but more fail.

A real Assassin is that of Assassin's Creed, or the thief games (the older ones anyway)

A fake Assassin has imaginary stealth or some fake cloaking ability.

So...why the heck include them at all? 

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    There is also the Rogue variety. Rather fake and just a lower form of DPS warrior. They aren't really even done properly in most MMOs. I think the only MMO (that I know of) to do them justice is DDO, it has been a while...but I thought they did good there for the most part.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• mrrshann618mrrshann618 Member UncommonPosts: 279

Now this is all personal opinnion but MMORPG's should have no need. Heck even a basic MMO should have no "need" for an assassin.

The assassin class (again imho) is just a play to make gankers feel needed. People think of assassins in terms of solitary uber killers, that is the kind of class that really isn'y needed in a Co-op style game. Then again most MMO's are "easy-button" 1 player games in a world of 1 player gamers rather than groups.

Classes like the assassin are (imho) hurting the grouping/cohesiveness of an MMO.

Play what you Like. I like SWOTR, Have a referral to get you going!
    -->  http://www.swtor.com/r/nBndbs  <--
    Several Unlocks and a few days game time to make the F2P considerably easier
  • Cochran1Cochran1 Member Posts: 456
    Seems like it was an afterthought. They came up with the concept of a Theif style class, but then through laziness or just plain oversight forgot to add utility (locked doors traps to disable etc.) for the class to be viable. Instead of removing the class they just took the lazy route and made them DD and changed from Theif or Burglar to Rogue or Assassin.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    DDO has a strictly PVE design, making it a must to have such mechanics available to rogues and the like. In a PVP game they have many uses, mainly taking out casters, detecting other stealth classes and recon. Without such a class casters would dominate group pvp dynamics, which in many cases they already do, think how it would be without stealth classes.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by TheScavenger

A real Assassin is that of Assassin's Creed, or the thief games (the older ones anyway)

There's some extensive threads that already exist with your answer, TheScavenger. Here's links to some great resources!

The many lives of Ishida 

PyroMan52134

Ranger101

charmander9

12science34 and Physics799 (12Physics34 on other forums)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Pvp
  • EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Thats where they usually dominate at.
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

As a shadow priest, I'm all for eliminating those fuckers...

:-)

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

In D&D 3.5 ruleset the Assassin class is pretty explicitly ladded out as different and having a unique set of abilities compare to Fighter or Rogue.

Firstly, Assassin is an prestige class, hence you can't go into it without certain perconditions.

Secondly, Assassin has abilities unique from Rogues. They Assassin specific "spells" which they can cast (very limited, but absolutely class related such as Invisibility)

Thirdly, they do paralyzing attacks as well as having a high save throw, so they are better at dealing with traps and magic even compare to rogues. At higher levels their saving throw makes them almost invulnerable to magic.

It all just depends on the implementation of the class in the game, but the one that I know of (in D&D and Pathfinder) they do it properly.

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458

One of the funnest character's I've played in an mmo was a rogue in WoW.

A rogue/assassin is about burst/critical damage and being stealthy.You get in and overwhelm an opponent and get the job done,nice and sweet.You also can sneak and stun an opponent,taking them out of a fight until you or your group are done killing another.Very fun class to play and experiment with.

A warrior just does dps over a sustained period of time and can also be built to tank.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• Havok2allHavok2all Member UncommonPosts: 190

Why do MMOs include an Assassin class?

Because some people like to play them and enjoy the mechanics that come with the class? Kind of a silly question, seeing as the exact same question can be made for every single class ever made.

Reducing options is already becoming a bane in the MMO market, I think it would be wiser to request more optionsin every facet.

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458
    Originally posted by Psychow

As a shadow priest, I'm all for eliminating those fuckers...

:-)

^^^lol :)

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• Cochran1Cochran1 Member Posts: 456
    Originally posted by Distopia
    DDO has a strictly PVE design, making it a must to have such mechanics available to rogues and the like. In a PVP game they have many uses, mainly taking out casters, detecting other stealth classes and recon. Without such a class casters would dominate group pvp dynamics, which in many cases they already do, think how it would be without stealth classes.

I would imagine they could add utility to the existing pool of mele classes to close the gap, because in most games melee roles always spec the highest dps for pvp.

DDO has a prestige build for an assassin rogue using stealth and an assassination ability, but since it's still a theif based class the stealth abilities as well as utility skills all use the same base stats. That style class could still work in a game with pvp because it's damage is based on sneak attack and flanking bonuses.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

I can't tell if this is a serious thread or not, the answer seems so obvious.  The reason, the "need" for the class's existence in MMOs is simply because there's such a huge player demand for the archetype.  The class adds gameplay variety through stealth mechanics, however magically unrealistic.  And they very often play nothing like warriors at all.  

It's just a type of gameplay and character archetype that appeals to a LOT of people.  Developers would be downright fools to not include them.  Doing so risks losing the interest of a large group of people.  

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Bring back the Wizardy Ninja!
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Cochran1
    Originally posted by Distopia

I would imagine they could add utility to the existing pool of mele classes to close the gap, because in most games melee roles always spec the highest dps for pvp.

DDO has a prestige build for an assassin rogue using stealth and an assassination ability, but since it's still a theif based class the stealth abilities as well as utility skills all use the same base stats. That style class could still work in a game with pvp because it's damage is based on sneak attack and flanking bonuses.

The thing you're forgetting is a well played caster will see that melee class coming from a mile away. In a group PVP situation there's a lot of ground to cover to reach that caster, he has the advantage not to mention allies that are in your way.. Hence the stealth ability allowing a certain class to sneak behind that line and deal the blows needed to at least distract the casters in the rear.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by TheScavenger

Why does any fantasy game include any class?

Hows that for mind being blown?

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305
    If you think they are modified warriors then you either have not played them or you are just angry because they gank you. Stealth is fun as hell in PvP....
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    One thing that is massively overlooked by both players and developers is stealth.  This is really what sets them apart.  As a rogue/assassin/thief  you generally have some kind of stealth.  This allows you to decide when and where the battle will start and it's location.  These can be huge advantages (think 300).  Also Rogue-types tend to rely on dodge more than the brute force of armor to reduce incoming damage.  While armor is a more reliable damage mitigation, dodge can be very good as well.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    because people want to be ninjas
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    You should see the Rogue in Neverwinter....nothing like the Fighter thats for damn sure! Feels more like Nightcrawler lol I love it.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by grimfall
    Bring back the Wizardy Ninja!

Done.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• PLAPPEHPLAPPEH Member Posts: 1
    I never really understood it anyway. It just seems like a norm for any RPG to include it now. At its core usually its just Warrior+Mage. Then maybe a bowman/ranger, then on ocassion the assassin/thief. Personally, I'm a dedicated rogue or assassin in any RPG if the option is available. If it doesnt exist, i'm either a sniper for FPS or a dual-wielding warrior for RPGs. It's just another walk of life in the fantasy world to cover more personality in the characters. 
  • BahamutKaiserBahamutKaiser Member UncommonPosts: 314

Assassins do not have to be built around stealth. GW original shows this clearly, with an assassin that revolves around high mobility and has teleports (shadow step). This role of mobility and getting to support targets quickly to dispatch pivotal links in a foes survival is a very relevant role.

The whole invisibility thing is, well it's out of place... Unfortunately, the maps, environment and detailed interaction do not allow for significant use of real stealth, invisibility just simplifies the method of hiding and sneaking up on foes because it can't rationally and effectively be done otherwise. While I don't think invisibility needs to be removed from MMOs, I do feel it doesn't belong on the typical assassin or ninja or theif... it's a magical effect.

If we do get around to having detailed environs and allow assassins or rogue type classes situational stealth, it would be cool, but they don't really work well in realistic combat anyway, so outside of hiding in brush, climbing up trees and concealing themselves in specially designed nooks, which honestly would be a chore to include in a large MMO world, it doesn't seem like a very plausible concept to have legit stealth or use it for cannon assassin behavior, it's better to stick with the speed route, hard to catch and easy infultration.

This mobility role and the strategy of reaching soft targets which are typically hedging behind defenders is very relevant, and who else will do it beside an assassin?, that's what their doing, assassinating, their going for poorly defended and valuable targets instead of engaging the battle proper. How to do it well and how to make an interesting system of advantages and retalitory methods is circumstancial, but the role is legit.

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, if they get angry, they'll be a mile away... and barefoot.

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    anyone who thinks invisibility doesn't belong in an mmo or with the assassin archetype class because its a magical effect...needs to take 2 steps back and think about that for a moment.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!