Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sub or B2P?

Comments

• TuktzTuktz Member Posts: 299

Hope it's sub. I want them working on ways to make the game better and increase subs, not devote most of their time/energy trying to think of new ways to keep their business going through micro transactions . That doesn't improve the game, it just plays their bills.

i dont even like cash shops being their main source of income even if its cosmetic stuff only.

that ruins my immersion almost as much as pay to win, because even if you aren't more powerful, you are different/unique from other players just cause you have more disposable income to blow on silly cash stop stuff.

what happened to seeing people in cool stuff in the game and going ooooh they worked hard for that. 

Instead it's more like, wonder how much they spent in the cash shop for that.... Then I ask myself why I bother wasting time in game to look cool/stand out, when others just pay for it...

then I stop playing cause it could take countless hours in game to earn something someone just spent five dollars to get

MMO history - EVE GW2 SWTOR RIFT WAR COH/V EQ2 WOW DAOC
    Tuktz - http://www.heretic.shivtr.com/

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

B2P, sub, P2P is all the same thing. They take my money :-) I just hope its fair and not a rip off like WoW 15 bucks a month and cash shop. I think sub options are needed. Family bulk rates, lower fees for casual players who only play a few hours a week. With people playing more then one online game at a time now days 15 a month is a little rich in this market with so many quality MMOs out there someone needs to give.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    MMO's just don't put out enough content and bandwith/server costs aren't the same as they were 10 years ago to justify paying $15 a month.  I would prefer B2P but I would settle for a sub (maybe)  if it was <$10 and as long as it still resembles an Elder Scrolls game beyond just lore and asthetics.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    I've defended this game for a while now but I will be strongly against a Subscription based model which is what I think is what they will go with.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    My guess is box + sub + cash shop to start things off.  They have a sales hit and know it.  There's no way I see them passing on additional sub revenue.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Searias
    Originally posted by Ezhae
    Originally posted by Searias
    Originally posted by NaMeNaMe

Buy to Play. 

All the people pointing out a cash shop as a probelm really either need to do some research, or just stop posting stupid comments. It annoys me so much when ppl start talking about something they have no nothing about. 

Wow has a cash shop, Rift has a cash shop, GW2 has a cash shop, Eve online has a cash shop................. Though they all sell different things in their cash shops. 

I think what people are saying is that they don't want an ingame cash shop, having microtransctions to change names, servers, etc on a website is fine.

Can You explain me why? Why one is ok and another is not? And all, WoW, EVE and Rift sell things other than just account services. So what is the difference? 

By directly integrating it into the game affects my immersion. I don't know about you, but for me when I see a cash shop icon when I play a game annoys me. When I play an MMO i want to feel like i am playing in a different world and having that cash shop right infront of my face, ruins that immersion factor for me.

I'm with you on that. It's not quite as bad as pop-up ads but close.

Besides, anything whatsoever that provides web functionality inside the game can fit in a modern day or scifi game (e.g., TSW) but is immersion breaking in a fantasy RPG settings. I don't even like having IM-style chat there as Blizzard has now integrated into all its games through "real-id" chatting.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Syron101Syron101 Member Posts: 33
    i hope that it is sub based. lineage 2 did well for years before finally converting to f2p and any quality mmo that isn't cookie cutter will do well imo on sub. i will be buying this on release and hope that it is something different after being let down by rift/tera/aion/aoc.  i love the elderscrolls series and look forward to this game
  • BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399

Not sure why people care if a game with a sub has a cash shop with deco pets and account services.  Seems like one of the biggest non factor complaints ive seen on mmorpgs

Yeah when they start selling gear upgrades, inventory/bank space, and XP scrolls...then that becomes an issue...though i actually dont care about XP items...so damn easy to level up in games these days its a non-factor to me.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by BrownAle

Not sure why people care if a game with a sub has a cash shop with deco pets and account services.  Seems like one of the biggest non factor complaints ive seen on mmorpgs

Yeah when they start selling gear upgrades, inventory/bank space, and XP scrolls...then that becomes an issue...though i actually dont care about XP items...so damn easy to level up in games these days its a non-factor to me.

It's because they could have actually made those things available in game for the price of your sub. It also leads to the company setting aside resources for the cash shop instead of on the game for the price of your sub. When people pay someone $180/year + whatever the box price is, they expect that money to go into developing the game they are paying a premium for and not developing a cash shop.

• hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465
    If it makes any difference, Everquest Next (Supposed to come out for PS4/PC) is supposed to come out this year, and they have already openly said their game will be free to play, not a subscription based game. However, I dont think people are that afraid of EQ anymore but itll definitely get some hype since they have said its supposed to feel more like EQ1/EQOA, which has super nostalgia for a lot of MMO players.
  • dynamicipftwdynamicipftw Member UncommonPosts: 206

Subscription equals MMO stillbirth. 

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by hMJem
    If it makes any difference, Everquest Next (Supposed to come out for PS4/PC) is supposed to come out this year, and they have already openly said their game will be free to play, not a subscription based game. However, I dont think people are that afraid of EQ anymore but itll definitely get some hype since they have said its supposed to feel more like EQ1/EQOA, which has super nostalgia for a lot of MMO players.

Pretty sure nothing definitive has been said about EQNs payment model.  Smedley says years ago that he thinks f2p is the future, but maybe that future has come and gone in his eyes and subs could be (and probably are) the way of the future again.  And EQ, EQ2 and VG are all still predominantly subscription games despite the freemium option, the intent has always been to have a smaller amount of players subbing than a larger amount of players paying 5 bucks a month.

Sandbox game in particular might be tough to make a freemium model for

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by dynamicipftw

Except this is completely false.  SWToR had huge sales.  Rift sold extremely well.  WAR and AoC even better than Rift.  People are willing to pay box+sub.  Problem was the quality of those games.  If the sub model was such a deterrent sub games wouldnt do as well initially as they do.  Problem is mediocre games, not the model.  

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

I want it to be B2P. I feel that it'll have a cash shop in the end anyway.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

Except this is completely false.  SWToR had huge sales.  Rift sold extremely well.  WAR and AoC even better than Rift.  People are willing to pay box+sub.  Problem was the quality of those games.  If the sub model was such a deterrent sub games wouldnt do as well initially as they do.  Problem is mediocre games, not the model.  

i agree with both. ppl theoretically dont have problem to pay a sub for an mmo but they have raised expectations. in such a degree that after some time they drop the game.

i agree that we have seen mediocre games the last few years, but not so much that justifies the huge decline by subscribers.

out of my main mmo (EvE) i have played for 1-6 months war, aoc, swtor, rift. i dropped all of them as most of the ppl did. were they top notch games? no. were that bad? no again.

so imo the problem is that we want to pay sub for a game, but for a game that we expect to be the next big thing. not for just a good game. and you know what?  i dont think that such a game will be released any time soon...

btw i think 50-60$ for the box + 180$ for the sub + 35-45$ for every expansion (not to mention money for other services like char rename/transfer, class/race change etc)  is way too much to play a game for a year. if you add that there are many good b2p and f2p titles out there anymore.

Titan will probably be the next MMO that revolutionzes the MMO genre. Others are just putting their gimmick/twist on it and straying away from WoW's model if they choose so.

I also have decent hopes for Destiny -- Isnt it supposed to be like a FPS MMORPG? Will probably see it at E3.

Also kind of excited for Everquest Next. Everquest Online Adventures was a great MMO even for being on ps2.

i dont like it but i agree. after so many failures i think only blizzard will make a next best thing mmo and bring revolution to genre.

Blizzard to me is like the New England Patriots if you ask me.

Used to win big, still successful, usually competitive, but at the end of the day whether you hate them because of Tom Brady/whatever, there is a chance your team (Or in this case, game/business) models yourself after them and tries to figure out how Blizzard got so successful behind closed doors. I wouldnt doubt at all people go "Let's look how Blizzard got to where they are today. How can we do what they did, but have our taste on it?"

Because again, hate them or love them, Blizzard did/does something right and is always in the mix.

Originally posted by hMJem

Blizzard to me is like the New England Patriots if you ask me.

Used to win big, still successful, usually competitive, but at the end of the day whether you hate them because of Tom Brady/whatever, there is a chance your team (Or in this case, game/business) models yourself after them and tries to figure out how Blizzard got so successful behind closed doors. I wouldnt doubt at all people go "Let's look how Blizzard got to where they are today. How can we do what they did, but have our taste on it?"

Because again, hate them or love them, Blizzard did/does something right and is always in the mix.

agree 100% and you know what? after so many mediocre games blizz will take on once again.

ppl are waisting their time and money going from a game to another. spending money in vain. trying games that went free and leave subs in most of cases.

i think blizz is aware of that and its the time one really good game to take those ppl on the wagon.

will it be titan or wow 2? i dont know, but i know blizzard have most chances than anyone else to repeat it

• AmegashieAmegashie Member UncommonPosts: 289
    If you think using a subscription based payment model means there will be no cash shop you are deluding yourself.
  • nightfallrobnightfallrob Member Posts: 167
    Originally posted by KhinRunite

I want it to be B2P. I feel that it'll have a cash shop in the end anyway.

This. I would rather have a GW 2 style set-up than deal with a Turbine or Bioware import for a cash shop later.

• dynamicipftwdynamicipftw Member UncommonPosts: 206
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

IMO all those games (except AoC) are better than GW2, yet GW2 is doing just fine while they all crashed and burned within a few weeks/months (Rift took a bit longer but it got there finally)

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

Hopefully B2P cos I do not like to rent my game.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by xmenty

Hopefully B2P cos I do not like to rent my game.

This.  Why should something I already own become a useless piece of plastic because I stop throwing extra money?  Anyway, I'll most likely purchase TESO, but unless it completely blows me away, having a sub WILL affect my decision whether or not to keep playing it.

In addition, if I get to play a beta before it's released, or someone lets me use their account, and it doesn't blow me away, I will save myself even more money.  With the sub model, a game has to prove to me that it's worth the forced cash extraction.  It's not doing anything new or cool enough IMO to imagine paying for it for years, after which I'd have spent a ton more cash than I'd ever spend on any game's cash shop.