Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lord British Presents...

Comments

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Sephros
    Lol.  This has takin a seriously hilarious turn.  You guys are seriously comparing a $25 donation to a project you want to help see through to the end, to wall st?  My Wall St. portfolio has abosultely nothing to do with a $25 kickstarter.  There is absolutely no way it can be compared.  If I want a monetary return, I invest in my portfolio, not kickstarters.  Get a grip.  We all get it, you don't want to be apart of anything.  Let others do it.  I think if $25 is so hard for you to part with, maybe less mmo website posting, or more working is what you need.  This is just hilarious now.  

I've been amused by some of the people involved in this as well.  They seem to confuse investing, and donating.  I have no problem what so ever in backing a Kickstarter project that looks interesting.  I'm not in it for the perks. What I want is an entertaining game.  I can always get more money, but good, entertaining games are MUCH more difficult to come by.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Quite simply, if there are no games made or continuing for my gameplay in the MMORPG genre I will play other games or find other pastimes. I certainly will not be giving developers money for games regardless

Sure. It is not like there is a lack of video games to play, or movies to watch. That is what i say all the time.

Plus, many non-MMOs have some MMO features anyway. PoE has public zones. Do you play that game?

No, the point of playing an MMO for me is the interactivity of the virtual world, if it is just tacked on with the players there for no reason I might as well play something different.

Wait .. you just say you play non-MMOs .. "i will play other games"

PoE is not a MMO ... so the point is obviously not the interactivity of the virtual world .. since it has none. Public zones != virtual worlds. So you don't play it because it is not a MMO? Or because it is not "good" to you for other reasons?

You honestly believe you can correct me over what games I choose to play and why?

No. Just want to clarify what you said .. since you seem to be contradicting yourself. I was asking questions .. see the question mark at the end?

It is your sadly limited idea of interactivity that causes that misunderstanding

I think is your inability to communicate clearly with the English language. So do you or do you not play games other than MMOs?

Originally posted by Wraithone

I've been amused by some of the people involved in this as well.  They seem to confuse investing, and donating.  I have no problem what so ever in backing a Kickstarter project that looks interesting.  I'm not in it for the perks. What I want is an entertaining game.  I can always get more money, but good, entertaining games are MUCH more difficult to come by.

People seem to confuse about donating and buying. Why should anyone donate to a business?

And you contradict your own logic. YOu said "What I want is an entertaining game". Then buy it when it is released. It is not like you can't buy it then.

You know there is a chnace that it work be produced, right? So you don't get what you want. All you may be getting is an empty promise.

People seem to confuse about donating and buying. Why should anyone donate to a business?

And you contradict your own logic. YOu said "What I want is an entertaining game". Then buy it when it is released. It is not like you can't buy it then.

You know there is a chnace that it work be produced, right? So you don't get what you want. All you may be getting is an empty promise.

Why donate? To get an entertaining game, that might other wise not be made.  As I stated, I can always get more money. Thats the least of my concern.  The contradiction involves, the "when its released". If they lack the money to produce it, there is a good chance it will not be released.  

Many of these game concepts do not appeal to those who are only looking for the next clone of what ever happens to be popular.  Make no mistake, investors do not care about games, all they want is the best ROI they can get. Which is why so many good concepts never get made into entertaining games.  If I can help get an entertaining game made, then I'm more than happy to do so.

• rikwesrikwes Member Posts: 90
    Even if and when this bloke would produce the best game ever to grace a PC/console he wouldn't get a dime from me since the Tabula Rasa fiasco. He won the lawsuit he filed against NCsoft ( at the tune of 23 million US$) and instead of trying to accomodate all those players - for example by including the rights to the IP Tabula Rasa in the lawsuit  and rebooting/saving  it - he starts a new company to rip them off all over again. 
  • BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

Lord British persists! Should be good to go this week!

$982,663

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by Briansho

Lord British persists! Should be good to go this week!

$982,663

Damn I paid my $25, but I wish it would hit 1 million so you would shut up. 

Originally posted by rikwes
    Even if and when this bloke would produce the best game ever to grace a PC/console he wouldn't get a dime from me since the Tabula Rasa fiasco. He won the lawsuit he filed against NCsoft ( at the tune of 23 million US$) and instead of trying to accomodate all those players - for example by including the rights to the IP Tabula Rasa in the lawsuit  and rebooting/saving  it - he starts a new company to rip them off all over again. 

Wonder how fat a salary he will pay himself out of the KS money.

Probably not enough for another space trip .. but may be he can take a cheaper submarine trip this time.

Originally posted by rikwes

I played Tabula Rasa from the day it launched to the day it closed. I quite enjoyed aspects of the game.  But there is more than enough blame to go around to all parties. I fault NCsofts upper level suits for playing political games (their antics eventually ended up costing them $32 million).

Richard Garriott termination

Richard Garriott, lead developer of Tabula Rasa, sued NCsoft for US$47 million in damages concerning his termination from the company. Garriott asserted in his suit that he was forced out of the company and was made to sell his 400,000 shares in NCsoft's stock, losing him millions of dollars. In addition, he claimed that the company was guilty of fraud by forging his resignation announcement.[16] On July 30, 2010, a jury in a Texas federal court awarded him US$28 million in damages. NCsoft appealed the ruling.[17] Garriott again prevailed on appeal and NCsoft was required to pay an additional US$4 million, bringing the total damages awarded to Garriott to US$32 million.[18]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCsoft#Richard_Garriott_termination

I also fault RG for his focus on his trip to space, rather than on his game.

If NCsoft had settled, I could see the IP rights to TR going to RG.  But adding them to the court case would have made it much more complicated.  I miss TR as well, it was a fun game. Unfortunately, these things happen, when dealing with these types of political/legal issues.

I'm quite looking forward to Shroud, and I hope it turns out to be an entertaining game.

I'm quite looking forward to Shroud, and I hope it turns out to be an entertaining game.

I think it will be interesting like the new skill system. But entertaining? I will withhold my judgment until the game is released. 10000 things can go wrong in development.

• GreyfaceGreyface Member Posts: 390

While I understand the principle those who argue against you and where they are coming from... I still find it funny how some think $25 is a great investment and compare it to Wall Street.....

My sandwiches cost me $25 for crying out loud.

Please don't mistake the intent of my earlier posts:  I was only pointing out how silly it is to use the word "investment" when talking about Kickstarter.  I was not in any way suggesting alternative investments.  Sometimes it takes a ridiculous comparison to point out an absurdity.

I'm even more uncomfortable with the word "donation" though.  This isn't charity, it's business.  $25 may not be a lot to some, but for others it's the weekly grocery budget.   If you're fortunate enough to have disposable income, I encourage you to donate to your local food bank rather than buying fancy sandwiches or throwing cash at eccentric multi-millionaires.

• KaosProphetKaosProphet Member Posts: 379
    Originally posted by Greyface

While I understand the principle those who argue against you and where they are coming from... I still find it funny how some think $25 is a great investment and compare it to Wall Street.....

My sandwiches cost me $25 for crying out loud.

Please don't mistake the intent of my earlier posts:  I was only pointing out how silly it is to use the word "investment" when talking about Kickstarter.  I was not in any way suggesting alternative investments.  Sometimes it takes a ridiculous comparison to point out an absurdity.

I'm even more uncomfortable with the word "donation" though.  This isn't charity, it's business.  $25 may not be a lot to some, but for others it's the weekly grocery budget.   If you're fortunate enough to have disposable income, I encourage you to donate to your local food bank rather than buying fancy sandwiches or throwing cash at eccentric multi-millionaires.

Does this imply you might find the idea more tolerable if it were some indy startup run out of a basement by a team of starving artistes than when it's being proposed by a guy who could, theoretically, buy out his own campaign with pocket change?

Meh.  I bought in because of the combination of interest in what he's trying to do and my respect for Amanda Palmer.

http://www.ted.com/talks/amanda_palmer_the_art_of_asking.html

(Though I'll understand if you don't see the connection or dislike what she's saying.)

As for the food bank, I could throw that back at *anyone* who pays for unnecessary luxury items.  Like, say, video games. 

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Quite simply, if there are no games made or continuing for my gameplay in the MMORPG genre I will play other games or find other pastimes. I certainly will not be giving developers money for games regardless
    Sure. It is not like there is a lack of video games to play, or movies to watch. That is what i say all the time. Plus, many non-MMOs have some MMO features anyway. PoE has public zones. Do you play that game?
    No, the point of playing an MMO for me is the interactivity of the virtual world, if it is just tacked on with the players there for no reason I might as well play something different.
    Wait .. you just say you play non-MMOs .. "i will play other games" PoE is not a MMO ... so the point is obviously not the interactivity of the virtual world .. since it has none. Public zones != virtual worlds. So you don't play it because it is not a MMO? Or because it is not "good" to you for other reasons?

Lol^

U caught him pretending to like MMORPGs and trying to convince u (& this forum) that non-mmos are now mmos.. all-the-while also not understanding that we are only concerned about MMORPG's.

Narius wants all games free and arcade style.. so that he can try them all free, at his leisure...

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Aeolyn

Thankfully there's alot of gamers who feel the same way and are willing to spend a bit to prove it thus making the chance of success a little greater. 

It's not about proving anything.  Brand loyalty is a bad foundation for identity.  I donate to a lot of things that I believe in: autism research, public radio, war veterans, my local food bank.   I'm a fan of Richard Garriot's past work, but that does not make him into a charity.

Capitalistic ventures are not philanthropic causes, no matter how much you or I want what they're (potentially) selling.  Admittedly, the crowdfunding movement has made some worthy projects possible, but I'm very uncomfortable with  giving away money to be used by others to build for-profit companies.  If KS adpoted a microfinance model instead of its current donation-based model, I'd be all over it. As it is, the whole thing smells like consumer exploitation to me. 

The crowdfunding movement is destined for scandal.  You heard it here first.

It's not about a cause, it's no different than people who chip in to help local music scenes support themselves. It's about doing something to support the entertainment that you enjoy. There are so many different forms of crowd funding, anything from modding communities, to special interest websites etc, etc... are supported in this manner over the net, why not games as well? Especially considering the road many major publishers have taken successful dev studios down over the last decade (and then some).

I understand being cautious, at the same time, it makes a lot of sense why many projects are taking this route, it gives them full control, that's what we as gamers would benefit from.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by KaosProphet

Does this imply you might find the idea more tolerable if it were some indy startup run out of a basement by a team of starving artistes than when it's being proposed by a guy who could, theoretically, buy out his own campaign with pocket change?

The whole idea of KS is not "tolerable" to me .. hence i wont spend a cent on rich had-beens who flew to space, and i won't spend a cent on starving idealist living in his mom's basement.

However, i have no objection if someone else does .. after all, they are risking THEIR money so i have a chance to play a game, no matter how low that chance is. I should say "thank you".

• AeolynAeolyn Member UncommonPosts: 350

The whole idea of KS is not "tolerable" to me .. hence i wont spend a cent on rich had-beens who flew to space, and i won't spend a cent on starving idealist living in his mom's basement.

However, i have no objection if someone else does .. after all, they are risking THEIR money so i have a chance to play a game, no matter how low that chance is. I should say "thank you".

Bites tongue, hard.

Bites tongue, hard.

Nah, I just laugh. ^^  As long as such types don't move to impose their ideologies on others, they are more than welcome to their opinions.   But I'd not be surprised, if such types get the various political scum involved. Just to "protect" people of course.

Kickstarter is an interesting idea, and only time will tell how it turns out.  Everyone should do their own research, and make their own choices.  I back projects that are of interest to me.  If it doesn't work out, I can always get more money.

• GreyfaceGreyface Member Posts: 390

Meh.  I bought in because of the combination of interest in what he's trying to do and my respect for Amanda Palmer.

(Though I'll understand if you don't see the connection or dislike what she's saying.)

As for the food bank, I could throw that back at *anyone* who pays for unnecessary luxury items.  Like, say, video games. 

I admit it, RG's habit of ostentatious spending isn't exactly warming me to the idea of Kickstarting his new project.  I do see the theoretical value of crowdfunding as a means of supporting the arts, but there is little expectation of financial gain in gallery exhibitions or music festivals.  Computer games are a different monkey.  Like film, interactive media occupies a gray area between creative expression and consumer product.  Ultimately, the goal is to create something that can be sold for a profit. 

Garriot wants to be free from the meddling of his investors.  I get that.  Going to the fans means he can make the game he wants without interference, but it also frees him from accountability and the obligation to share his gains.  Yes, $10 or $25 is chump change, but multiplied by 10,000 it starts to look like real money.  When he failed to produce a saleable product for EA or NCSoft, those companies had recourse.  Whether or not those corporations treated him fairly (and I believe that they did not), their financial backing gave them leverage.  What leverage do the fans have?  What happens if Garriot spends 75% of his budget on strippers and ice sculptures?  Who gets to call foul?  I support creative freedom but I can't support freedom from accountability.   

It's funny you bring up Amanda Palmer....  it was actually the controversy surrounding her KS projects that led me to questioning the crowdsourcing movement in the first place. 

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

I admit it, RG's habit of ostentatious spending

I read that and find that comment quite funny, because Richard Garriott do consider himself "LORD British" lol.

Pretending to be king too much one ends up thinking that they are really king, just like Burger King.

• AeolynAeolyn Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Anyway, it's done, now to try and keep the faith. :)
    $1,005,015

pledged of $1,000,000 goal

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/portalarium/shroud-of-the-avatar-forsaken-virtues-0

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Anyway, it's done, now to try and keep the faith. :)
    $1,005,015

pledged of $1,000,000 goal

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/portalarium/shroud-of-the-avatar-forsaken-virtues-0

with 19 days left looks like weather and pets are a shoe in by then :P

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by Squeak69
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Warmaker
    Originally posted by Rednecksith
    Originally posted by tixylix
    I'm not interested in his lackluster ego based games.

Ultima IV - VII + Underworld + UO were hardly what I'd call lackluster or ego-based.

To be fair, how long ago were those titles you mentioned done?  And what has he done for RPGs and/or MMORPGs since then?

What R.Garriott did in his career is outstanding and can never be taken away from him.  But again, what has he done for RPGs / MMORPGs since UO?  UO is a 90's child.  Bill Clinton was still President of the USA!

And he did not have sex with that woman.

(You can't win with Garriot. He's Deity Incarnate, or he's a Has-Been. But either way, the argument usually churns on for days.)

who cares if he did, have yall looked at the presidential history, most of our better presidents tended to sleep around alot, heck bill was the last one time we had a stable econmy

ops did i bring politics into this thread :p

QFT

Yes.  Yes you did. But I forgive you.

• KaosProphetKaosProphet Member Posts: 379

I admit it, RG's habit of ostentatious spending isn't exactly warming me to the idea of Kickstarting his new project.  I do see the theoretical value of crowdfunding as a means of supporting the arts, but there is little expectation of financial gain in gallery exhibitions or music festivals. 

Music festivals, no.  Manufactured pop icons, absolutely.

I don't see modern computer games as necessarily being all that different - other than a cost of entry that does more to actively drive out those willing to risk failure in the name of 'art' or 'vision.'  The Kevin O'leary's of the world aren't going to back the projects I'd like to see made; the risk is too high for them.

It's funny you bring up Amanda Palmer....  it was actually the controversy surrounding her KS projects that led me to questioning the crowdsourcing movement in the first place. 

I'm not all that surprised; opinions are definately mixed on the subject.  And to be perfectly honest, if it had been someone like Rihanna or Kelly Clarkson, I'd probably react the same as you. 

So why do I give RG the benefit of the doubt on this one, and trust he's going to make a game I'll actually be interested in instead of blowing it on strippers and ice sculptures?  I can't really say. 

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

Lord British prevails!

$1,026,118

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

Bites tongue, hard.

Nah, I just laugh. ^^  As long as such types don't move to impose their ideologies on others, they are more than welcome to their opinions.   But I'd not be surprised, if such types get the various political scum involved. Just to "protect" people of course.

Kickstarter is an interesting idea, and only time will tell how it turns out.  Everyone should do their own research, and make their own choices.  I back projects that are of interest to me.  If it doesn't work out, I can always get more money.

How can i impose anything on anyone? America is a free world. If you want to throw money at wishful thinking, all i can do is to laugh .. which btw, thank you also for the entertainment.

And why would i even want you to stop when you are funding hope .. that if realized, i can play too.