Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FYI Destiny is NOT a MMO Shooter.

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Just want to make sure this is said, so people don't get misinformed by the media and fans.

but the developers themselves have said its not a MMO. It's a shared world shooter. Not MMO shooter.

i see lots of media sites spreading this misinformation that this is a MMO, when the people making it said its not.

now it even has its own forum here on a MMO site which will cause even more confusion and misleading.

not sure if that's intended.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• Snakester95Snakester95 Member UncommonPosts: 47
    In the listing it does state that it's a shared world shooter just so you're aware.

Where there's a game, there's a player, I'm that player.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Snakester95
    In the listing it does state that it's a shared world shooter just so you're aware.

But it's not a MMO.

• majinantmajinant Member UncommonPosts: 418

Is it massive? Is it multiplayer? Is it online?

What is so hard to understand here?

• VenomaniaVenomania Member Posts: 40
    It's annoying when people try and say "It's not an MMO", it IS an MMO. Marketing mumble jumble doesn't change facts. It's an mmo. There are plenty of MMO's that have variations on instanced worlds. Seemless, instanced zones/maps. I could describe every MMO as something else,  make some fancy pants none MMO term for what type of game they are. Lol Coined the term MOBA, it caught on and now it is a genre. This is not the same situation, this game doesnt do anything different enough to warent  anew genre. It is an mmo-shooter. 
  • SilverbarrSilverbarr Member Posts: 306

In essence Destiny is an MMORPG, after all it will have a massive amount of players, it will be multiplayer and it will be online. If anything I find it an attempt to bring a Guild Wars style game to the FPS genre. It could therefore be a great attempt, or end up being really messy.

It also depends on your methods to determine whether Guild Wars is an MMO also, personally I believe it can be classified as so.

Personally I hope that it does great, because it sure looks great - but who knows how much hype has been invested.

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys. Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Support the Indie Developers - Kickstarter

Originally posted by majinant

So is BF3, so is CoD, so is MAG

are any of them MMO shooters as well?

hey well I guess MMORPG.com staff need to add them to the list.

Originally posted by Venomania
    It's annoying when people try and say "It's not an MMO", it IS an MMO. Marketing mumble jumble doesn't change facts. It's an mmo. There are plenty of MMO's that have variations on instanced worlds. Seemless, instanced zones/maps. I could describe every MMO as something else,  make some fancy pants none MMO term for what type of game they are. Lol Coined the term MOBA, it caught on and now it is a genre. This is not the same situation, this game doesnt do anything different enough to warent  anew genre. It is an mmo-shooter. 

Developers say its not a MMO so it's not a MMO.

have you played the game yet?

how can you say it's a MMO when the people that makes it said it isn't?

• LaromussLaromuss Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

it depends on the inner workings of the game.  If the game is similar to Defiance (Trions MMOFPS) but based on a Physical Lobby System (Hub towns etc) Then Destiny can be classified as an mmofps.  If its just something similar to Fable 2 where players can drop in a out of a persistent world up to 4 -8 players then its just a multiplayer FPS with a persistent world similar to Planet Side 2.

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    It sounds like it's an FPS version of the original Guild Wars with hub towns and instanced adventure areas. If that's the case then it's not an MMO as it's not 'massively multiplayer' if you can only play with a single group at a time (and FYI the 'massively' refers to the number of players that can interact, not the size of the game). Bungie have stated this is not an MMO and ANet stated the original GW was not an MMO so I think it's safe to say it isn't an MMO since it doesn't fit the definition.
  • dorksmetaldorksmetal Member Posts: 77

Are BF3 and CoD and MAG Shared World games.. can you jst hop on CoD and play the campain with peopel you dont know without a choice in the matter... stop being a dick about it.  its not an mmo but you dont need to be rude. 

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Destiny is a mmo and I will be the first to offically tag it as the next WoW killer. image
  • Snakester95Snakester95 Member UncommonPosts: 47
    It's now confirmed to be a third person shooter, still a shared world shooter though.

Where there's a game, there's a player, I'm that player.

• EthanCEthanC Member UncommonPosts: 56

If you want a true mmo shooter, none of this faked business, you should checkout divergence and help support the project!

www.Divergence-Online.com

www.Divergence-Online.com

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I hate it when people try to use this kind of logic... or lack of logic.

If I came up to you with a puppy and told you it was a kitten... is it a kitten?

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    Originally posted by Vannor

If I came up to you with a puppy and told you it was a kitten... is it a kitten?

funny statement.

So you saying its illogically to quote the Developers, aka the people who made the game, who are telling the public its NOT A MMO, but to listen to media and fans who havnt even seen the game and already calling its a MMO, which the developers who have gameplay Info, have stated its not a MMO ?

I assume you are being sarcastic, but didnt put a smiley. Which is what confuses me.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Noooooo!!!! Another genre battle...

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849

*sigh* if there are no "massive" amounts of people in a zone then it's not an MMO. 

Lets take PoE as an example. You can have loads of people online at the same time, they can interact with eeach other if they want but no zone has a "massive" amount of people in it - so it's an online multiplayer hack'n'slash but not an MMO. This game from what i read is a bit like PoE in terms of player interaction.

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by Vannor

I assume you are being sarcastic, but didnt put a smiley. Which is what confuses me.

Yes, I meant it light heartedly. Not really sarcastic, but I wasn't trying to be nasty. :)

It used to be cool to be an MMO.. these days it isn't. A lot of companies are diliberatly trying to sound like they arn't making an MMO because they don't want to be subject to the harsh and exaggerated expectations that consumers have for MMOs these days. Will Destiny be an MMO? Well.. it sure sounds a lot like an MMO.. as in gameplay wise, just with less people. MMO is a genre now with all the usual genre conventions and connotations, it doesn't just mean lots of avatars in the same online space even if many insist it does because they are being far too literal.

I have no idea what Destiny will be like. None of us do yet. That's why I made that silly post. BUT what the devs are describing is an MMO with less players in the same space.. and then saying it's not an MMO. Sure, it might not be massive group gaming but as far as game features and what you do, gameplay, so far it sounds exactly like an MMO shooter. When everything they are saying other than saying it's not an MMO makes the game easily fit into the MMO genre, it's very confusing.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

The Demonware guys said it's not a dedicated server game but it does have a co-op social aspect and it does have some kind of "world" which allows you to encounter and help other players if they are playing in the same region....take from that what you will, im not sure what to make of it.

From the available information it seems Destiny is going to be somewhere between and mmo and an fps but no one is sure exactly what this means and is further confused by the suggestion it will have some form of world system which sounds quite similar to an mmo.

So, is it an mmo, an mmorpg, an mmofps...who knows, it's all semantics really. Bottom line, it's Bungie so it's probably going to be good.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

MMO is more an opinion than something set in stone, so as long as there will be at least some shared hub-areas this game will be MMO to some while it wont be MMO to others, regardless how the zoning and stuff like that works. Lobby games with separately loaded maps (BF3, CoD, etc) are lobby games and it should be pretty obvious...

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Does it even matter of how it is classified?

All i care is whether it is MP, and if it is fun. Whether it is a MMO is irelevant to me, and to decision of whether to buy.

• MystaisMystais Member Posts: 72
    Originally posted by Silverbarr

In essence Destiny is an MMORPG, after all it will have a massive amount of players, it will be multiplayer and it will be online. 

By your definition, Call of Duty is also an MMORPG, as stated by the OP.  

There needs to be a differentiation between a persistant world with 1000s of players and a much smaller non-persistant one.  In my opinion the 'massive' refers to the number of players possible in a single persistant game world at any given time.  

It does not acquire the 'massive' designation just because a lot of people play the game.  

Tabletop RPG gaming since Chainmail and D&D was a blue book with some cheap plastic dice and a crayon. MMORPGing since MOOS/MUDS, when forums were just bulletin boards and players actually roleplayed their characters.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    developers are trying to distance themselves from the MMO term.  The term is starting to become toxic, and has been toxic to certain groups for a while now.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Snakester95

But it's not a MMO.

Bungie says its not an mmo but its a shared world. Lets see how that works when it launches. Whether it has many people online or just a few, If its not a persistent world im out.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Online shared world with persistent characters w/ progression....

Class based mechanics (heavily hinted at in recent videa showing Titan, Warlock, Hunter "classes")

It blurs the line between "traditional" multiplayer and massively multiplayer.

Will it have offline play?

PMOTPS?

Persistent Online Multiplayer Third Person Shooter?

LOL whatever it doesn't matter.

MMO or not MMO, I'm happy MMORPG.com is covering.