Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sub or B2P?

KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
any news about TESO? will require a sub or it will be b2p?

Comments

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743
    I don't think so, but I hope it's sub based.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    No idea so far but personally I hope it will be a sub based game. Freaking hate cash shops, even if they are not p2w.
  • hardy83hardy83 Member Posts: 47

I can see subs working for this game, but on the other hand, sub games have such a hard time succeeding.

I can also see a buy to play with an in-game shop for boosters and cosmetics, and paid future content (zones, levels etc) possibly being more successful.

May I also go out on a limb and say that not EVERY new MMO that comes out needs to be $15 a month. It was an abritrary number Sony made up with EQ and Blizzard stuck with the price. I'm sure $5-10/month would still be very profitable for them.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by hardy83

I can see subs working for this game, but on the other hand, sub games have such a hard time succeeding.

I can also see a buy to play with an in-game shop for boosters and cosmetics, and paid future content (zones, levels etc) possibly being more successful.

May I also go out on a limb and say that not EVERY new MMO that comes out needs to be $15 a month. It was an abritrary number Sony made up with EQ and Blizzard stuck with the price. I'm sure $5-10/month would still be very profitable for them.

you are right.

i think that giving 50-60$ to buy the game + 5$ every month is more than enough to make profit. you may add the income of a yearly expansion at around 35-40$. dont forget that even sub based games have also shops and payed services like char name-race-faction change / server transfer etc.

so yes 5$ / month is highly profitable

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735
    Originally posted by Piiritus
    No idea so far but personally I hope it will be a sub based game. Freaking hate cash shops, even if they are not p2w.

The only problem with that is recently sub doesn't guarantee lack of cash shop. They want to double and tripple-dip and I can't really imagine them not doing some kind of vanity micro transactions (and of course micro transactions for server switches, name changes and all that other overpriced stuff that somehow doesn't bother anyone...) 

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368

Actually, Subscription price for MMOs was $9.99mo until SWG released. That was the game that pushed the price to $14.99mo

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    hopefully SUBSCRIPTION.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• DoctorhooDoctorhoo Member UncommonPosts: 235

Was Everquest one of the first games to have a sucessful subscription based model?  I know the game has been out 14 years.  I would think WOW probably holds the record  for the most subscriptions at its high point.

Anyways, the $15 a month model was something established back then.  I do agree, if your game is "Good" I think you can use a subscription model in the $5-10 range per month and still be profitable.

• AeonZenAeonZen Member Posts: 43
    Indeed, not a fan of the cash shops.  One poster here, who went by the name Interesting, had amazing posts about cash shops.
  • koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447
    Considering Bethesda just opened up a Bethesda store on their official website, I am confident that this game will indeed have some sort of cash shop.
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs

Actually, Subscription price for MMOs was $9.99mo until SWG released. That was the game that pushed the price to $14.99mo

Actually, Dark Age of Camelot came out a couple years before SWG, and it had the $15/month fee. It's the first one I've seen with it.

• cagarcagar Member Posts: 98

Hope it's b2p.  With  the way mmo's are these days I just can't justify paying 60 plus 10-15 a month for a game that's probably not going to be much different then any other mmo out already.  Sure there will be some things different, mainly graphics  and setting I bet. People need to get away from the mentality that if a game charges a monthly sub its going to be better, it's often proven wrong.

F2p  just annoys me.  We have 13 classes and 10 different races to chose from. 3 races are free, humans, half elves, and elves, everything else costs you, etc. 

B2p is middle of the road. Buy the game, some cosmetic and fluff items in an item shop. No sub, so no feeling of having to play, no having to buy just about everything to do anything.

just my opinion tho.

70 monk eq1
    80 bruiser eq2
    43 druid wow
    Currently playing : rift

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498
    I'd like b2p or a more reasonable sub price for full access. If they had a truly fluff cash shop of hings I could get of equal quality in game I'd be ok with that, just don't sell things better than what can be aquired in some wa in game.
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Ghavrigg
    Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs

Actually, Dark Age of Camelot came out a couple years before SWG, and it had the $15/month fee. It's the first one I've seen with it.

Dark Age of Camelot original subscription fee of $12.95.  Raised to $14.95 on February 3, 2005.

WoW released November 2004, with a fee of $14.99 per month.

Everquest raises subscription fee from $12.99 to $14.99 June 2005.

SWG, releases June 2003, $14.99 per month.

SWG wins!  Followed by WoW, then DaoC, then Everquest ... although by playing DaoC you could save 4 cents (you get what you pay for).

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I hope it's sub
  • Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

prolly it ll be B2P with cash shop

With time , cash shop ll offer P2W stuff,companies making games not for our fun ,they looking way to get money

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Someone, somewhere will eventually figure out that a lower sub (e.g., $4.99) + a purely cosmetic cash shop that is accessed outside the game altogether - like Blizzards - where you can get fluffy mounts and pets etc. is the best model...maybe this will be the one that does it.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

P2p  or B2p both will have cash shop. so i will go fo B2p.

Anyway its been years that all Elder scroll game are B2p and people are ok with that. i think its will continue like so, and  to get both fan of mmo and the elder scroll  series i think this model could be the best for them.

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Game is too linear and just your average eye candy attraction, wont work as a sub. If it starts that way it will go F2P or B2P within 6 months as the normal of these types of MMORPG's coming out. Name can only get you so far, your MMORPG has to be cram full of features and content and new age games lack in everything. My opinion anyways but i was right about the last 12 big releases, so lets see and do hope i am wrong.
  • NaMeNaMeNaMeNaMe Member Posts: 88

Buy to Play. 

All the people pointing out a cash shop as a probelm really either need to do some research, or just stop posting stupid comments. It annoys me so much when ppl start talking about something they have no nothing about. 

Wow has a cash shop, Rift has a cash shop, GW2 has a cash shop, Eve online has a cash shop................. Though they all sell different things in their cash shops. 

"if u forcefully insert foriegn objects into my? body, i will die"

Originally posted by NaMeNaMe

Buy to Play. 

All the people pointing out a cash shop as a probelm really either need to do some research, or just stop posting stupid comments. It annoys me so much when ppl start talking about something they have no nothing about. 

Wow has a cash shop, Rift has a cash shop, GW2 has a cash shop, Eve online has a cash shop................. Though they all sell different things in their cash shops. 

I think what people are saying is that they don't want an ingame cash shop, having microtransctions to change names, servers, etc on a website is fine.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735
    Originally posted by Searias

Buy to Play. 

I think what people are saying is that they don't want an ingame cash shop, having microtransctions to change names, servers, etc on a website is fine.

Can You explain me why? Why one is ok and another is not? And all, WoW, EVE and Rift sell things other than just account services. So what is the difference? 

Originally posted by Ezhae
    Originally posted by Searias

Buy to Play. 

Can You explain me why? Why one is ok and another is not? And all, WoW, EVE and Rift sell things other than just account services. So what is the difference? 

By directly integrating it into the game affects my immersion. I don't know about you, but for me when I see a cash shop icon when I play a game annoys me. When I play an MMO i want to feel like i am playing in a different world and having that cash shop right infront of my face, ruins that immersion factor for me.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    no idea, but if its sub only i know im out. I just grabbed my good old skyrim saved game and now im over 300 hours without a sub. Still having a blast. Still need to play Morrowind and Oblivion which i have here too so i wont have time and a reason to pay monthly for a TES mmo. TES name only wont hold enough subs to be a good subscription only mmo. If TESO with a sub makes more money than Skyrim as a B2P single player then i will consider buying it and play the first free month. So yeah, ill wait.

• khartokhar3khartokhar3 Member UncommonPosts: 486
    i also hope it will be b2p. i actually like p2p but alot of my friends gave up playin p2p since the last mmo releases were crap.