Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ill come back when:

I played this game for about 3 months at launch.  Leveling up was fantastic imo.  Endgame was a snooze and broke.  This resulted in the rerolling of multiple alts, which i rarely do in games, just for the storyline...as well as some planets that i absolutely loved but felt i spent too little time on.

I would come back to this game if they had a founders status for those of us who paid for the box and possible CE be it digital or box.

One of the reasons why i shun the game currently?

Well i have to delete beloved characters in order to start a new character and get reaquainted to the game...which i always do when returning to a game, i cannot return to a game and hop on an endgame character.

Now i know, just make a new account its free...but i lose my account mounts, i still have a nerfed hotbar, and i dont have access to anything account wide, such as gear on alts and money ect.

I would really consider returning, possibly subbing.  I just feel...i dunno, slapped in the face kind of.  I paid full box and for 2 months after my first free month...close to $100 for the game.  Im treated as a freeloader that needs to be prodded in game at every step to donate chump change for access to the whole game...and honestly i dont want access to the whole game...i just want to be allowed to roll a new character, have access to normal hotbars, and decide if this is a game i would like to pay for again.

Does anyone else feel its wrong to do this kind of stuff to people who paid for the game in full, which amounts to (im sure) more spent than they ask for now for full access? Tera did it right.  It rememberd that some people have paid for the game in the past, and grants them full character slots, and no pesky nerfs to the game.  Hell they even tossed old p2p players a small bit of cash shop money.

Basically, create a founder system in SWTOR.  Realize that a lot of people who might return have more than 2 characters and might want to start a new character on returning.  Who might have characters set up to where more than 2 hotbars are needed.  Who have already paid a decent amount for the game, realizing that to continue past where they are will have to spend again.

This whole "sorry you paid so much in the past...pay us again for use of this now free game that you already paid for" ticks me off.

Comments

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

It's not a free game. Free to play doesn't actually mean everything is free, it's a marketing scam to get you playing and paying.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• hyllstarterhyllstarter Member UncommonPosts: 203
    Pay your $15 a month and no worries.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by azmundai

It's not a free game. Free to play doesn't actually mean everything is free, it's a marketing scam to get you playing and paying.

at least for swtor this is very true. wish it was like tera's f2p model

• darkbamydarkbamy Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Yet if you look at TERA they did a fine job in making the game F2P for previous members
  • stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

I will return when.....

They dont have groups of static mobs just standing there, positioned and respawning in the same place waiting for you to attack them

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

or you just make a character on a different server, in the same account

Though I wouldn't recommend leaving your Legacy behind. Just continue to play one of your existing chars, delete one, or just skip the game entirely.. until version 5.0

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366
    When they add more class story, not a story planet.
  • rivetman13rivetman13 Member Posts: 34

I am not a swtor fan, been there, done that. I think the most annoying part for me is the ratchet and clank, starfox rail type space system.

I have to say in regards to your post, if you like the game, just sub. Then all the crap about them wanting you to pay at every corner for stuff should go away.

Everquest 1 is my game, and it's "free to play" but it's unplayable, unless you are a buff bot, without subbing. (very handy to have with my 4 accounts that were $15 a month subbed to get buffs to my main toon, now I can buff my toon for free.)

SoE tries to shove the marketplace down your throat too, they all do, but I just ignore it. Now if I could get my girlfriend to ignore it too, that would be great 8P

I stand behind the thought process I have always used: $15 a month for 30 days of entertainment is 50 cents a day. There is little other entertainment on the planet that is that cheap.

Hoping you find your happy middle ground!

P.S. I got through the whole post without (much) swtor bashing! haha

~RivetMan

• mrrshann618mrrshann618 Member UncommonPosts: 279

I'll return when...

wait,already have

AND

I understood what their F2P meant when I went back so I was not disapointed in expecting something they never said they would deliver. I also understand that  every company has a different F2P model. If you failed to research it before trying and still spout hatred, you had blinders on and WANTED to hate it.

I do not see how the restrictions really effect gameplay much, especially if it is only meant for a player to get a feel of a game. There is no difference in equiping a purple item when you compare it to a white, it is still only equiping a piece of gear. Not being able to equip a certain piece of gear or hide a piece of gear does not "break a game" it only breaks your expectations. (once again it falls under the "you didn't research enough")

Play what you Like. I like SWOTR, Have a referral to get you going!
    -->  http://www.swtor.com/r/nBndbs  <--
    Several Unlocks and a few days game time to make the F2P considerably easier
  • ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by BrownAle

I played this game for about 3 months at launch.  Leveling up was fantastic imo.  Endgame was a snooze and broke.  This resulted in the rerolling of multiple alts, which i rarely do in games, just for the storyline...as well as some planets that i absolutely loved but felt i spent too little time on.

I would come back to this game if they had a founders status for those of us who paid for the box and possible CE be it digital or box.

One of the reasons why i shun the game currently?

Well i have to delete beloved characters in order to start a new character and get reaquainted to the game...which i always do when returning to a game, i cannot return to a game and hop on an endgame character.[/quote]

I have stop you right here. You are the only person I have ever seen say that they delete their 50s and relevel just to get reaquanted with the game. Why would you gimp yourself like that? Especially with an expansion coming out that increases the levels to the game.  If you are subbing you can have 12 characters. Just start a new one and keep your old ones.

Now i know, just make a new account its free...but i lose my account mounts, i still have a nerfed hotbar, and i dont have access to anything account wide, such as gear on alts and money ect.

I would really consider returning, possibly subbing.  I just feel...i dunno, slapped in the face kind of.  I paid full box and for 2 months after my first free month...close to $100 for the game.  Im treated as a freeloader that needs to be prodded in game at every step to donate chump change for access to the whole game...and honestly i dont want access to the whole game...i just want to be allowed to roll a new character, have access to normal hotbars, and decide if this is a game i would like to pay for again.

Does anyone else feel its wrong to do this kind of stuff to people who paid for the game in full, which amounts to (im sure) more spent than they ask for now for full access? Tera did it right.  It rememberd that some people have paid for the game in the past, and grants them full character slots, and no pesky nerfs to the game.  Hell they even tossed old p2p players a small bit of cash shop money.

Basically, create a founder system in SWTOR.  Realize that a lot of people who might return have more than 2 characters and might want to start a new character on returning.  Who might have characters set up to where more than 2 hotbars are needed.  Who have already paid a decent amount for the game, realizing that to continue past where they are will have to spend again.

This whole "sorry you paid so much in the past...pay us again for use of this now free game that you already paid for" ticks me off.

Speaking as someone that bought the CE and played six months before taking a break ($240 dollars spent) I say no I don't feel "wronged."  If you go back to subbing you are right back where you were with all your hotbars,pets, mounts ect. ect. You even get a special "founder" title for being in at launch plus a monthly stipend of cartel points. The FTP was added for people who want to play the game without paying a sub so they have to live with restrictions or pony up some money like everyone else. Just because you bought and played the game at launch doesn't earn you special treatment on FTP status. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061
    I'll come back when hotbars arent in the cash shop. lol 

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• SoulStainSoulStain Member Posts: 202

All the stuff that is "only" in the cartel shop can usually be found on the Galactic trade market. I've seen every unlock there at some point. Are they cheap..sure. They're free given time .

As far as giving original box/CE/digital players something...they did. Not sure if it is still going on but I recieved close to 3000 cartel points for resubbing...granted.. I was only unsubbed for a few months while I attended to other real life issues. Not only that...I get 600 pts a month while subbed.  500 for subbing and 100 for having a security key. I think you get 4 skill bars if you onced subbed anyway..or if you spend ..like $5 in the shop on anything. 4 skill bars is plenty. I prefer to sub however and I've still spent an assload of money in the shop..because I like some of the cartel pack stuff. I'm not rich by any means but this is my entertainment and it goes a long way for the money imo.

So..to answer the OP's question...I came back a while ago. I never  hated the game. Nothing made me leave that was game related..I only left by the necessity of outside influences.

• CorthalaCorthala Member UncommonPosts: 283
    I just won't, I deleted the security authentication from my phone and not even care on the "how-tos" to unlock my account.

"you are like the world revenge on sarcasm, you know that?"

One of those great lines from The Secret World

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

I could be tempted to go back if EA stop being money grabbing bastards. Speaking as someone who bought the game when it released I'm gobsmacked at the level of idiocy (or is it greed) demonstrated in the blatant attempt to gouge as much cash as possible from players. I logged in today to see exactly how things are for a so called preferred player and I was disgusted.

I bought the box so I feel that entitles me to a fully functional UI, yet I have to pay to unlock hotbars. Something as simple as hiding head gear costs money, that's just rediculous. The least they could do is allow players who bought the damned game to have a fully functional one, and charge for things like operations and the BG's. But this restriction of stupid things like inventory, max cash amount, crew skills, and the above mentioned hotbars and head gear toggle. No.

This is just another example of EA being soulless, cash grabbing fucktards, sticking it to the gamers to see how far they can go and get away with it. It's like DLC on day 1 of Mass Effect 3, another slap in the face.

I now exercise my right to vote with my wallet and don't buy anything EA have a hand in, and I'll continue to boycott them until they start giving us value for money, something that's sadly missing at the moment.

• GaborikGaborik Member Posts: 251
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

I could be tempted to go back if EA stop being money grabbing bastards. Speaking as someone who bought the game when it released I'm gobsmacked at the level of idiocy (or is it greed) demonstrated in the blatant attempt to gouge as much cash as possible from players. I logged in today to see exactly how things are for a so called preferred player and I was disgusted. I would have to say the idiocy is in those who expect everything for free.  If you are the bent on thinking its a cash grab then pay the $15/month.   I dont understand the people who complain about $15/month. Compare this to other enterainment people spent their money on and its cheap as hell.

I bought the box so I feel that entitles me to a fully functional UI, yet I have to pay to unlock hotbars. Something as simple as hiding head gear costs money, that's just rediculous. The least they could do is allow players who bought the damned game to have a fully functional one, and charge for things like operations and the BG's. But this restriction of stupid things like inventory, max cash amount, crew skills, and the above mentioned hotbars and head gear toggle. No. Unfortunelty for you and the rest of todays society you my friend are not ENTITLED to anything, nothing, get over this mentality it will serve you good in the real world also.  It is very common in f2p to restrict inventory and max cash amounts.  Again pay the $15/month and you can have all the game has to offer.

This is just another example of EA being soulless, cash grabbing fucktards, sticking it to the gamers to see how far they can go and get away with it. It's like DLC on day 1 of Mass Effect 3, another slap in the face.

I now exercise my right to vote with my wallet and don't buy anything EA have a hand in, and I'll continue to boycott them until they start giving us value for money, something that's sadly missing at the moment.

You can exercise your right by not paying for EA games.  But this website has rules about well you cant say it because they have rules about calling people what they are. 

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

"I think you get 4 skill bars if you onced subbed anyway..or if you spend ..like $5 in the shop on anything. 4 skill bars is plenty."

I was subbed and do not have 4 skill bars under the F2P version, only one.

Holding skillbars for ransom is the worst microtransaction ive ever seen.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494

If you were smart you shouldn't have payed for a single month .You would have been done with the game once the 1st free month was finished.

You chose to pay so you are the sorry guy because you were not clever/experienced enough to realise that this game is going into the void

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Originally posted by Gaborik
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

I could be tempted to go back if EA stop being money grabbing bastards. Speaking as someone who bought the game when it released I'm gobsmacked at the level of idiocy (or is it greed) demonstrated in the blatant attempt to gouge as much cash as possible from players. I logged in today to see exactly how things are for a so called preferred player and I was disgusted. I would have to say the idiocy is in those who expect everything for free.  If you are the bent on thinking its a cash grab then pay the $15/month.   I dont understand the people who complain about $15/month. Compare this to other enterainment people spent their money on and its cheap as hell. I would say it's not idiocy to expect a certain amount of intelligence from a company making their f2p model fair to those that already forked out the full box price when the game released. As for paying the $15 a month, I don't think it's worth it, which is why I stopped subbing in the first place. Hence the reply to the OP's title "I'll come back when".

I bought the box so I feel that entitles me to a fully functional UI, yet I have to pay to unlock hotbars. Something as simple as hiding head gear costs money, that's just rediculous. The least they could do is allow players who bought the damned game to have a fully functional one, and charge for things like operations and the BG's. But this restriction of stupid things like inventory, max cash amount, crew skills, and the above mentioned hotbars and head gear toggle. No. Unfortunelty for you and the rest of todays society you my friend are not ENTITLED to anything, nothing, get over this mentality it will serve you good in the real world also.  It is very common in f2p to restrict inventory and max cash amounts.  Again pay the $15/month and you can have all the game has to offer. I am ENTITLED to get what I paid for, the retail box game. While I understand that a f2p model has to charge for something, usually content like raids, operations, bg's etc, I would think any reasonable person would agree that things as petty and small minded as charging for a fully functional UI, additional hotbars or the ability to toggle on/off head gear are beyond reasonable. Before you go down the "today's society" route again, I'm 50 this year and not some adolescent punk crying "I WANT". I honestly believe that EA have gone too far in their attempts to make cash off a struggling game. Are you honestly trying to tell me that EA are being reasonable in charging someone for something as petty as a toggle for head gear? It's a small, inconsequential thing, I know. But it illustrates perfectly the level of malicious money grabbing I'm talking about.

You can exercise your right by not paying for EA games.  But this website has rules about well you cant say it because they have rules about calling people what they are. 

I will exercise my right, thanks very much. I respect your opinion, you're entitled to it. Just as I'm entitled to mine. And my opinion of EA is very low.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by azmundai

...or F2P does not mean what you think it means.

• SoulStainSoulStain Member Posts: 202
    Originally posted by monstermmo

"I think you get 4 skill bars if you onced subbed anyway..or if you spend ..like $5 in the shop on anything. 4 skill bars is plenty."

I was subbed and do not have 4 skill bars under the F2P version, only one.

Holding skillbars for ransom is the worst microtransaction ive ever seen.

You may need to check your settings and enable them because Preferred members get 4 quickbars.

Mouse over the circle on the chart for UI and it tells you in this link of comparisons:

http://www.swtor.com/free/features

I only found it out myself because I had some card issues (stolen info and card number change) in january so my payment never got processed and I was wondering where my other 2 bars were.lol. It was because I was technically freeplaying at that point. I cleared it up with SWTOR just in case they planned on banning me for a decline and resumed my subscription.

• ghettocelebghettoceleb Member UncommonPosts: 104
    I kind of felt a little slap to the face when as a PREFERED player I had to choose only 2 of my 3 crew skills, that sucks.
  • BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399

Well first couple of responses really surprised me.

My point was that ive paid close to $100 for the game, and now walk into it like some freeloader who needs to be nickle and dimed, and prodded every step of the way. Hell i cant even get into it, i can only play maxed out characters with half as many hotbars as i use to...and just about every character had them all filled...hate coming back to a game and not starting fresh to get reaquainted..

Im not asking for the game for free because i paid in the past.

Just something like what Tera did.  Give those who supported the game by buying the box normal character slots and hotbars.

Not like they are going to go belly up from the loss of some funds from these item shot perks.

I really dont want to make a new account to start a fresh character and see if i want to stay, and dont want to delete beloved characters to do it.

If this is their way to get players back making it free...well its failed on my part.  Might be good getting people who never played at all but seems like a good way to ensure your old players who left stay away.

And mind you...this is a game that i, and many others left.  There is little motive to just give $15 just to have a second look.  Same was true for Tera.  Only with Tera, i got to avoid queues, i didnt have the nerfed character slots, in fact i had no negatives applied to my account..oh and they tossed me a few cash shop coins.  Result was i rolled a new character, kinda got back into the game, paid the $15 premium.  If you ask me the difference between the two games going free, one got  my money the other didnt.  I dont feel that one game is superior to the other either...Treating past customers like past customers and not freeloaders goes a long way imo.

Some here dont see it that way and its fine, im sure SWTOR will do fine as a pay per content game...i just thinks its the absolute worst way to treat past customers and lump them into the same group as the free players (who imo need to be prodded to pay or they never will, and i believe in supporting the games you play, granted you play them longer than a few days)

I think what im asking for is really simple to do, and might result in me deeming the game worth another paid month of play.  *shrugs* plenty of other games out there though.  Maybe ill swing by and see if they changed any of this and hop in.

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399
    Originally posted by RelGn

If you were smart you shouldn't have payed for a single month .You would have been done with the game once the 1st free month was finished.

You chose to pay so you are the sorry guy because you were not clever/experienced enough to realise that this game is going into the void

Yeah, i paid for a few months because i was enjoying the game.

I dont play games like you.  I play them to enjoy them...if i can get a months worth of entertainment for my sub im more than happy. 

I dont take it personally and get all emotional when a games entertainment value for me expires, i move on like an adult.

I could care less how popular a game is either, if im enjoying it im happy. Im not sorry i payed for the game either, because...well im an adult. i dont get emotional like a child when i see $15 or $100 get spent on multiple months worth of entertainment.  I dont get mad when i go to a fancy resturant and drop $50 to flush it down the toilette the next day do i...seems like something you would do though lol

Just when your on the fence, you know you left the game and the reasons you left, but might consider comming back and giving the game a second chance...well...they didnt give me a second chance i guess...im a freeloader free player who needs to pay or delete character...no thanks.

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    Originally posted by BrownAle
    Originally posted by RelGn

Yeah, i paid for a few months because i was enjoying the game.

I dont play games like you.  I play them to enjoy them...if i can get a months worth of entertainment for my sub im more than happy. 

I dont take it personally and get all emotional when a games entertainment value for me expires, i move on like an adult.

I could care less how popular a game is either, if im enjoying it im happy. Im not sorry i payed for the game either, because...well im an adult. i dont get emotional like a child when i see $15 or $100 get spent on multiple months worth of entertainment.  I dont get mad when i go to a fancy resturant and drop $50 to flush it down the toilette the next day do i...seems like something you would do though lol

Just when your on the fence, you know you left the game and the reasons you left, but might consider comming back and giving the game a second chance...well...they didnt give me a second chance i guess...im a freeloader free player who needs to pay or delete character...no thanks.

Well you sure sound like an adult and not a condescending kid. I mean, the wonders of a $50 fancy restaurant!

Take his advice if your on the fence....lol

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

This thread is the type of thread that is the whole reason why I joined this website. So you played 3 months didn't make many alts and then remember information from like 7 months ago and start a rant thread ? You are a preferred player so you have access to 4 hot bars so yeah fail there and you also have acess to 6 character slots . You haven't more than 6 level 50 character's I doubt that. So yeah either update your knowledge about the game or try it again ? Or try another game ? We all pay for games and this one is getting older now , I do believe that LOTRO was once very expensive and changed it's model early and I don't hear them complain. Anywas the game isn't perfect but get your facts straight before posting a thread please , pretty please ?

P.S. go buy your boosts off the GTN for less than nothing and level 1 moddable orange shells for 200 credits , sorry maybe you didn't uderstand that the gme has changed.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]