Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Is F2P Working for SWTOR?

2456

Comments

  • SkuallSkuall UnknowPosts: 1,285Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by observer

    Does anyone think 8 servers is working for F2P?  A F2P MMO should increase the population, but even Bioware couldn't do this with a Star Wars IP.

    The restrictions are beyond ridiculous.  Let's compare WoW to Swtor.

    WoW F2P restrictions

    • Level cap is 20
    • Mailbox - cannot use
    • World Channels -cannot use
    • Whispers - cannot use
    • Trade - cannot use
    • Invite players -cannot use
    • Crafting professions -limited

    SWTOR F2P restrictions

    • Level cap  -up to 50
    • Mailbox -limited to send 1 item
    • World Channels -available to use
    • Whispers -avaiable to use
    • Trade -available to use
    • Invite players -available to use
    • Companion Customization -restricted
    • Color to chest -restricted
    • Tiered Armor -restricted
    • Warzones & Dungeons -restricted
    • Character Race/Class -restricted
    • Inventory (bank and bag space) -restricted
    • Crafting professions -limited
    Want to know the difference between all these points? 
    WoW's F2P restrictions are mainly due to Gold Farmers.
    Swtor's F2P restrictions offer enticement to subscribe, but in reality, it just discourages potential subscribers.

    wow f2p sub? lol its a trial wow doesnt have a F2p option at all....

    compare it to  Tera f2p model or Aion....

    Swtor f2p is just an excuse to nickel and dime the ppl that is f2p , but the real loosers are the subbers , how many subbers wasted money on the Market? just the lame "random" boxes....a chance for a X , ppl wastes 200$ and got nothing out of it.

     

  • xegiiexegiie BcePosts: 6Member

    I myself haven't met worse F2P model.

    If you want to play game for story, go ahead, if you want play the game as its intended, which is PVP and PVE, you gotta spend bucks.

    for those defending swtor f2p model...... how many PVP you may play per week, was it 4? like really? 4? :D

  • RelGnRelGn halalaPosts: 494Member

    we talked a lot about this.Swtor free model is not working and is never going to work IF they make it like secret world's model it's going to succeed

    image
  • TokkenTokken Portland, ORPosts: 1,154Member Uncommon
    I've come back to the game and I am seeing lots of players.  I have no problem finding people to group with..... It's good to be back. WAS FTP now subbed. Only thing I wish they would do is clean up some of the bugs.....
    Brad McQuaid Quote:  So, God-willing, the Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen team and I will be able to make or allow that magic to happen a third time, and it too will be not just a great game, but also that catalyst again that brings people together, sometimes out of their comfort zone, learning how to work together not just tactically in a virtual world but also socially in the real world.
  • allendale5allendale5 kansas city, MOPosts: 124Member

    I guess that I am one of the few persons who actually loved this game, especially the pvp matches.  Folks in my guild of like mind would level up to 10 and then stand in the station and just pvp our way to 50.  Was soooo fun, right up until f2p, of course.  

     

    Now, I log in to download the latest patch and I swear, for the last 10 or so patches it has been mostly Cartel market crap.  So, even though the game was good at one time, I don't feel that the f2p model is especially attractive.  Moreover, it has killed the fun for the rest of us subscribers, because now about 70% of the dev's patch efforts are focused toward enticing Cartel sales instead of crucial gameplay issues.  Scroll down through them if you like :  http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes/

  • simpliussimplius nakskovPosts: 1,043Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by mrrshann618

    So, what you are saying observer, is that SWTOR gives you a whole basic storyline whithout the need to buy anything. You can go anywhere and do anything, but with "minor" restrictions. While WOW only gives you 20 levels, no way to unlock unless you purchase the WHOLE game as compared to unlocking things as you go, or can afford. This includes ANY higher level dungeons. SWTOR Dungeons are limited to number of times a week, but you can go in all of them!

     

    I think I'll take a whole storyline/arc with the option to unlock the parts I like, AND still be able to effectivly play/trade with my friends (for the most part). Sounds like SWTOR wins in my book

    and thats one non-paying vote more for swtor

    now compare that, to the over 1.5 mio PAYING votes, who thought opposite

    and compare to the X mio PAYING votes, who still play wow

    now tell me,,who will a smart businessman listen to

    if your paycheck would come from swtor,,you would have a different perspective

  • DavynelordDavynelord Atlanta, GAPosts: 122Member
    Originally posted by xegiie

    I myself haven't met worse F2P model.

    If you want to play game for story, go ahead, if you want play the game as its intended, which is PVP and PVE, you gotta spend bucks.

    for those defending swtor f2p model...... how many PVP you may play per week, was it 4? like really? 4? :D

    IT's 5 PVP per week, 3 space missions per week and I'm not sure how many operations per week as I don't run those yet....but As f2p myself, I play unlimited warzones per week because I buy warzone passes from players who sell them for ingame credits...they basically fluctuate in price between 80k - 130k...I make at least 75k just from doing my dailies.....then I earn about 3k+ for each warzone (win or lose).

    So far I have unlocked cargo, inventory, characterslots, titles and customizations, artifact and event authorizations...those are permanent now.   So the only thing I left to pay (ingame credits) for are weekly passes for PVP.

     

    So although swtor f2p model is kinda restricted, they give you options to buy with real money (for the impatient) or wait until someone puts the stuff on the galactic market for you to buy with ingame credits.    As long as people buy cartel market and put the stuff up for sale, BW/EA don't care becasue someone bought the items.   So what difference does it make whether a f2p player buys and uses them or if a subscriber buys and sales them in game.

     

    So when you look at it this way, SWTOR is fully available...the only downside is future expansions you have to still pay for, such as the rise of the hutt expasion coming in a month or so.

  • rawfoxrawfox HamburgPosts: 648Member Uncommon

    I dont mind a subscribtion, when the game is good.

    I subscribed SWTOR for nearly 3/4 year after launch and played in the beta before.

     

    It turns out that i dislike MMORPGs with "industrial standarts".

     

    So, the F2P restrictions are not attractive to me because the only addicting part of the game was the PvP.

    SWTOR has one of the best and most vital PvP combats i ever saw.

    You can "master" your combat coz it has a lot to learn and to perfect your moves and timing.

    Skill delays and lag hickups, asycronous happenings, all that made SWTOR PvP coming behind the one of AoC.

     

    With that, the FREE to play model becomes more a RESTRICTED to play model to me.

    I could bare with purple clothes ticket from cartel shop, but then its 2 more missing bars, a guided game with - for my feeling - limited decisions, its just follow a story someone else has written. Then its still a comic and every planet looks like the other one before, no housing, no guilds-anywhat and max 300 player instances, no.

     

    That simple does not made me ..

    I resubscribed Anarchy Online and from all the grafix wonders arround other "engines" i finally play a GAME again.

     

  • MukeMuke BredaPosts: 2,172Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by Sibcoe
    Hey guys - I was recently looking at the SWTOR F2P model in more detail, and testing it out on an episode of <General Chat>.   SWTOR F2P Working? Check it out and let me know if you guys think it works, or if it is still too restrictive. Cheers 0/


    I would say: no.
    You are extremely limited and held back.


    If you can play like that: fine for you, but the f2p model is more meant as a extended trial. If you want to play the game fullest as pvp or pve is concerned, you HAVE to spend money on the game.


    "going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

  • xegiiexegiie BcePosts: 6Member
    Originally posted by allendale5

    I guess that I am one of the few persons who actually loved this game, especially the pvp matches.  Folks in my guild of like mind would level up to 10 and then stand in the station and just pvp our way to 50.  Was soooo fun, right up until f2p, of course.  

     

    Now, I log in to download the latest patch and I swear, for the last 10 or so patches it has been mostly Cartel market crap.  So, even though the game was good at one time, I don't feel that the f2p model is especially attractive.  Moreover, it has killed the fun for the rest of us subscribers, because now about 70% of the dev's patch efforts are focused toward enticing Cartel sales instead of crucial gameplay issues.  Scroll down through them if you like :  http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes/

    mythic and EA got  hands on this game right?..  you know what happend to warhammer online with these 2 involved?

    they got it to somewhat playable state, and started just milking players  by cash shop items, and patches brought nothing new but UBER-MINOR fixes

    sounds familiar?

  • KareliaKarelia HeraklionPosts: 668Member
    swtor f2p model sucks big time. if you dont want to pay a sub then let it pass. dont bother at all. check tera's f2p and compare it with swtor one to see what i mean :)
  • xegiiexegiie BcePosts: 6Member
    Originally posted by Manolios
    swtor f2p model sucks big time. if you dont want to pay a sub then let it pass. dont bother at all. check tera's f2p and compare it with swtor one to see what i mean :)

    or compare to star trek online and roll on the floor hard .. :(

  • GaborikGaborik Roseville, MNPosts: 251Member

     

     

  • GaborikGaborik Roseville, MNPosts: 251Member
    Originally posted by Ryowulf

    Its not working.  Most people are not subbers, that is to say that needed 500k or whatever and they don't have that.

    People to the storylines and maybe an alt then leave. 

    This is a money grab.  Ea will get as much cash as they can now, probably because they have some sort of deal with LA to not shut the game down for X amount of time  or they are trying to sell it and want good numbers or are still trying to fool investors.

    I would not count on the game being here a year from now.

    I will take that bet in a second. I take it you were one of those who said the game would not make it a year, or the game would never raise level cap, or the game would never have an expansion, or the game would never continue the story? Most of those who claimed all of the above have stayed away from these SWTOR post cause most call them out for how, well there is no nice way to say what they were.

  • observerobserver Houston, TXPosts: 3,009Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by mrrshann618

    So, what you are saying observer, is that SWTOR gives you a whole basic storyline whithout the need to buy anything. You can go anywhere and do anything, but with "minor" restrictions. While WOW only gives you 20 levels, no way to unlock unless you purchase the WHOLE game as compared to unlocking things as you go, or can afford. This includes ANY higher level dungeons. SWTOR Dungeons are limited to number of times a week, but you can go in all of them!

     

    I think I'll take a whole storyline/arc with the option to unlock the parts I like, AND still be able to effectivly play/trade with my friends (for the most part). Sounds like SWTOR wins in my book

    You're missing the point.  Swtor offers free storylines, which is fine, but the way they present everything else to potential subscribers isn't working.  At least with WoW, you aren't restricted with pvp or exploration; only by levels.  You can even make the new races, such as worgen, pandas, draenei, or blood elves; which were all expansion races.  In swtor?  You cannot do this even with the races from launch (i'm not talking about faction restrictions either).  In WoW, you can use titles.  In swtor, you cannot.  The list goes on..  Keep in mind, i'm just comparing WoW here, and not other MMOs that went F2P, such as Tera, Rift, TSW, etc.

  • tiefighter25tiefighter25 Winchester, MAPosts: 937Member
    Originally posted by Gaborik
    Originally posted by Ryowulf

    Its not working.  Most people are not subbers, that is to say that needed 500k or whatever and they don't have that.

    People to the storylines and maybe an alt then leave. 

    This is a money grab.  Ea will get as much cash as they can now, probably because they have some sort of deal with LA to not shut the game down for X amount of time  or they are trying to sell it and want good numbers or are still trying to fool investors.

    I would not count on the game being here a year from now.

    I will take that bet in a second. I take it you were one of those who said the game would not make it a year, or the game would never raise level cap, or the game would never have an expansion, or the game would never continue the story? Most of those who claimed all of the above have stayed away from these SWTOR post cause most call them out for how, well there is no nice way to say what they were.

    I doubt even Pyrrhus could claim SWTOR as a victory.

  • VlackeVlacke BelgradePosts: 155Member Common
    Originally posted by observer
    Originally posted by mrrshann618

    So, what you are saying observer, is that SWTOR gives you a whole basic storyline whithout the need to buy anything. You can go anywhere and do anything, but with "minor" restrictions. While WOW only gives you 20 levels, no way to unlock unless you purchase the WHOLE game as compared to unlocking things as you go, or can afford. This includes ANY higher level dungeons. SWTOR Dungeons are limited to number of times a week, but you can go in all of them!

     

    I think I'll take a whole storyline/arc with the option to unlock the parts I like, AND still be able to effectivly play/trade with my friends (for the most part). Sounds like SWTOR wins in my book

    You're missing the point.  Swtor offers free storylines, which is fine, but the way they present everything else to potential subscribers isn't working.  At least with WoW, you aren't restricted with pvp or exploration; only by levels.  You can even make the new races, such as worgen, pandas, draenei, or blood elves; which were all expansion races.  In swtor?  You cannot do this even with the races from launch (i'm not talking about faction restrictions either).  In WoW, you can use titles.  In swtor, you cannot.  The list goes on..  Keep in mind, i'm just comparing WoW here, and not other MMOs that went F2P, such as Tera, Rift, TSW, etc.

    Your post is filled with false information.

    First of all SWTOR's hybrid system is just fine, the game still has plenty of subscribers and they should obviously get more than those who aren't willing to pay, and even those get plenty of content for free.

    As preferred player things improve, it should also be said that free players can buy most of the unlocks and authorizations from GTN for in game credits.

    Secondly you don't have restriction regarding race selection, restrictions are faction based and all the races can be unlocked in various ways, also it has to be mentioned that all the races which were present at lauch are all we have available now as well, Cathar is not yet here.

    Last but not least, you cannot compare WoW's 20 level TRIAL to the amount of content you get here for free, Rift hasn't gone f2p and as for Tera....Tera with it's tedious grind and terrible questing system is a mediocre game at best when compared to SWTOR.

  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Centreville, VAPosts: 1,690Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Vlacke
    Originally posted by observer
    Originally posted by mrrshann618

    So, what you are saying observer, is that SWTOR gives you a whole basic storyline whithout the need to buy anything. You can go anywhere and do anything, but with "minor" restrictions. While WOW only gives you 20 levels, no way to unlock unless you purchase the WHOLE game as compared to unlocking things as you go, or can afford. This includes ANY higher level dungeons. SWTOR Dungeons are limited to number of times a week, but you can go in all of them!

     

    I think I'll take a whole storyline/arc with the option to unlock the parts I like, AND still be able to effectivly play/trade with my friends (for the most part). Sounds like SWTOR wins in my book

    You're missing the point.  Swtor offers free storylines, which is fine, but the way they present everything else to potential subscribers isn't working.  At least with WoW, you aren't restricted with pvp or exploration; only by levels.  You can even make the new races, such as worgen, pandas, draenei, or blood elves; which were all expansion races.  In swtor?  You cannot do this even with the races from launch (i'm not talking about faction restrictions either).  In WoW, you can use titles.  In swtor, you cannot.  The list goes on..  Keep in mind, i'm just comparing WoW here, and not other MMOs that went F2P, such as Tera, Rift, TSW, etc.

    Your post is filled with false information.

    First of all SWTOR's hybrid system is just fine, the game still has plenty of subscribers and they should obviously get more than those who aren't willing to pay, and even those get plenty of content for free.

    As preferred player things improve, it should also be said that free players can buy most of the unlocks and authorizations from GTN for in game credits.

    Secondly you don't have restriction regarding race selection, restrictions are faction based and all the races can be unlocked in various ways, also it has to be mentioned that all the races which were present at lauch are all we have available now as well, Cathar is not yet here.

    Last but not least, you cannot compare WoW's 20 level TRIAL to the amount of content you get here for free, Rift hasn't gone f2p and as for Tera....Tera with it's tedious grind and terrible questing system is a mediocre game at best when compared to SWTOR.

    Agree. Also, SWTOR is NOT F2P game. It is P2P game with F2P option, not like TERA which is completely F2P with option for some additional fluff if you pay monthly. It is a BIG difference.

    image
    Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

  • SouldrainerSouldrainer Elmer, NJPosts: 1,857Member

    What does the word "working" even mean?  Are they winning over the SWG Grognards?  No.  Are They changing the game focus of the game to be less of a themepark?  No.  Are they giving away the game to everybody as a tax write off?  No.

     

    Are they gaining players?  Yes.  Are players subscribing? Yes.  Are there people who spend their whole pay check on SWTOR?  Yes.

     

    Is the game turning a profit?  Well, here we go opening up a whole other can of worms.  They spent $600 Billion, (or was it Trillion?) on voice over work, according to "some analysts", so at that rate, they will never profit from anything ever again.  Poor SWTOR.  /sarcasm off

     

    If it wasn't making a profit, it would not be expanding.  EA is evil, not stupid.

    Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

  • simpliussimplius nakskovPosts: 1,043Member Uncommon

    "people spending their whole paycheck"

    that is the group, swtor is living off

    the cartel market is proof of that

    and even that was in decline, so they come up with the new reputation system

    if youre so certain of swtor success,,buy EA stocks now,,theyre cheap, and according to you, a sure

    way to make a fortune

    put your money, where your mouth is,,i dare you

  • altair4altair4 SkelleftePosts: 158Member
    Originally posted by Souldrainer

    What does the word "working" even mean?  Are they winning over the SWG Grognards?  No.  Are They changing the game focus of the game to be less of a themepark?  No.  Are they giving away the game to everybody as a tax write off?  No.

     

    Are they gaining players?  Yes.  Are players subscribing? Yes.  Are there people who spend their whole pay check on SWTOR?  Yes.

     

    Is the game turning a profit?  Well, here we go opening up a whole other can of worms.  They spent $600 Billion, (or was it Trillion?) on voice over work, according to "some analysts", so at that rate, they will never profit from anything ever again.  Poor SWTOR.  /sarcasm off

     

    If it wasn't making a profit, it would not be expanding.  EA is evil, not stupid.

    Gaining players? I don't know, but player actitivty is dropping and has been since the week after F2P launch more or less. Gaining subscribers? No idea, but if they had I bet it would have been mentioned in their quarterly report, so ye unlikely.

    I still dont think the game has really expanded either. They are mostly releasing content that was in the works before the game even launched, Makeb including.

    No idea if they are making any profit. They have cut down a huge amount of personnel costs at least. But I think they still are working on paying off the development cost.

    The continuation of pushing more and more unpopular things on Cartel Market shows a desperation to me. Might even be a last cash grab before the end to come.

  • klash2defklash2def Posts: 287Member Uncommon
    Dont  play swtor if youre not going to suscribe period. why play the f2p version and bitch about it? you get what you pay for imo.. i cant believe so many people are still beating this dead horse. play the game and sub if you like it. if you dont then leave the game, dont bitch about the f2p model, who gives a fuck. play something else if you dont wanna sub, cause f2p isnt supposed to be fair.. its supposed to be free.
    Angry Chicken
  • KareliaKarelia HeraklionPosts: 668Member

    i dont say it deserves a sub, but if you want to play swtor play it as a sub player. f2p model of this game sucks big time.

    so imo either you pay a sub and play swtor or take on something else, like TERA for example. TERA has a real, or at least one of the best, f2p model out there.

  • asmkm22asmkm22 Anchorage, AKPosts: 1,788Member

    About the only thing F2P has done is make sure the first few planets stay pretty full all the time.  Aside from that, subscribers really don't gain much benefit from the non-subscribers (even the ones buying account unlocks and stuff) due to some fairly punative restrictions like limited instances/ops/warzones.

    It's all horribly setup, from the perspective of wanting convert people to a subscription.  It works OK from the typical EA perspective of wanting to mlik a few bucks from people before they move on.

    You make me like charity

  • WellusWellus VilniusPosts: 13Member

    Hello,

    i am new here so kinda hello for everyone ;D

    anyway lets stay to the topic, so the F2P is more like a trial, it rips off almost everything mmo has to offer for you, except for leveling and quests, we with friend are playing it only for story, we both are imperial agents, so we will try to reach end of story and drop it, because there is no point in playing after that without paying, we are both first year students so no income for us to pay for game per month(we can only afford buy 2 play) and in any time we can play any free to play mmo which is not that restrictive. I don't even know why did they even called it free 2 play, it's more like free 2 look at game, but not actually play it...

Sign In or Register to comment.