Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Could a Vanilla WoW clone out do MoP?

IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

I truly believe that if a gaming company made a blatant vanilla WoW clone or even a WoW clone with just the BC xpac in the game it would actually have more numbers then MoP.

Why? Simple players and millions of players agree strongly that cata was prob the worst xpac many would also agree that WotLK is not much better and millions agree just let the dropping number speak for themselves that MoP is a desperate attempt to capture the vanilla feel but failing simple because of all the blotch up patches that Blizz gave WoW since BC the LFG tool LFR tool.... sigh just bout every patch from BC onward basically has damaged WoW. With this being said If a gaming company made a blatant WoW clone strictly Vanilla or with most of BC mixed in I think that they would rake in millions of players.

Here is how it should be done:

Have three factions of course and just call theme the red vs blue vs (insert color here) sides.

Bring back the original 40 man raid. (I think that WS will find this feature to be very attractive with players. )

Balance out PVP bring it back to vanilla game play were it took skill to be good at bg not just armor set buff and facerolling.

Balance out PVE can anyone say CC anymore.

Forget about the first two added races just keep it simple Orcs, Humans and elves taken from statement one a three way faction will be brilliant. have the elves your natural faction and let them be allowed into either side's city with no worries of getting ganked so basically a natural faction.

World bosses will automatically flag your faction. Yes if you want that highest tier loot from a world boss then you must flagged and earn it properly.

Continue with tier upgrades but here is the trick have a BT or a Kara raid which of course if you want to raid you must get attuned for it. Yes bring back the atonement  chain quest again. Now to keep the game interesting so once a guild beats the toughest raid in the game will to be simply change up the bosses keep the instance with the same lay out but change the bosses moves around. Or better yet let a REAL person play the boss and not let it be just a mechanical boss keep the players guessing. Then as a reward up the tier loot that way if a guild can truly beet a boss encounter this way.

And going back to open world pvp have top tier drops for a Hala type open world pvp setting as to every member of the raiding pvp team gets gear only if they keep their faction hold on a Hala type take over for lets say if they can keep Hala in their favor for a time limit. For instance if a guild of opposite faction who wishes to take over Hala will not only have to defeat the incredibly hard guards with incredibly high health to boot make the Hala guards the hardest npc in the game to beet but they cant solo it just dropping bombs on it and expect a win but it has to be a legit 10 man or more Hala raid for the highest tier to drop. Make since?

And yes bring back the open world raiding of xrds or south shore or whatever but just for the fun of it. Or if a successful raid on a low lvl village let that faction who did this successfully take control of that small town or place or whatever it is they decided to raid against.

Tell me what you think of these idea's for a vanilla Clone of WoW.

Comments

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399

basically the thought process for every game made since say...2006

never works if you havent noticed.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by BrownAle

basically the thought process for every game made since say...2006

never works if you havent noticed.

no game released since WoW has come close to the reasons why WoW was good.

Of course that is what happens when you dont make the game you want to make and instead make the game you think everyone else will want. This is why games like Rift seem soulless.

• FIXTHECAMERAFIXTHECAMERA Member Posts: 55

I wish I could express in words how much I agree with you.

Unfortunately it will never happen, devs don't even know what made vanilla so good, not even blizzard themselves. Not enough people think like you, from here on end we're just going to have shit games, at least we can look back on the good times I guess.

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    I doubt it. Though if Blizz releases a classic server, I would resub to WoW.
  • DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974
    Who wants an MMO that would never evolve?
  • rathranrathran Member UncommonPosts: 1
    I think if WoW did something like Runescape just did and released a seperate client with vanilla WoW and TBC that it would be a huge hit, and many people would seperately play and even pay monthly again for it. Problem is that it would affect the actual subs for the retail game. However, if some updated clone was released with improved concepts by a big company and made it obvious that it was going to have the original concepts of TBC it would be awesome.
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Isturi

I truly believe that if a gaming company made a blatant vanilla WoW clone or even a WoW clone with just the BC xpac in the game it would actually have more numbers then MoP.

Why? Simple players and millions of players agree strongly that cata was prob the worst xpac many would also agree that WotLK is not much better and millions agree just let the dropping number speak for themselves that MoP is a desperate attempt to capture the vanilla feel but failing simple because of all the blotch up patches that Blizz gave WoW since BC the LFG tool LFR tool.... sigh just bout every patch from BC onward basically has damaged WoW. With this being said If a gaming company made a blatant WoW clone strictly Vanilla or with most of BC mixed in I think that they would rake in millions of players.

Have three factions of course and just call theme the red vs blue vs (insert color here) sides.

Bring back the original 40 man raid. (I think that WS will find this feature to be very attractive with players. )

Balance out PVP bring it back to vanilla game play were it took skill to be good at bg not just armor set buff and facerolling.

Forget about the first two added races just keep it simple Orcs, Humans and elves taken from statement one a three way faction will be brilliant. have the elves your natural faction and let them be allowed into either side's city with no worries of getting ganked so basically a natural faction.

World bosses will automatically flag your faction. Yes if you want that highest tier loot from a world boss then you must flagged and earn it properly.

Continue with tier upgrades but here is the trick have a BT or a Kara raid which of course if you want to raid you must get attuned for it. Yes bring back the atonement  chain quest again. Now to keep the game interesting so once a guild beats the toughest raid in the game will to be simply change up the bosses keep the instance with the same lay out but change the bosses moves around. Or better yet let a REAL person play the boss and not let it be just a mechanical boss keep the players guessing. Then as a reward up the tier loot that way if a guild can truly beet a boss encounter this way.

And going back to open world pvp have top tier drops for a Hala type open world pvp setting as to every member of the raiding pvp team gets gear only if they keep their faction hold on a Hala type take over for lets say if they can keep Hala in their favor for a time limit. For instance if a guild of opposite faction who wishes to take over Hala will not only have to defeat the incredibly hard guards with incredibly high health to boot make the Hala guards the hardest npc in the game to beet but they cant solo it just dropping bombs on it and expect a win but it has to be a legit 10 man or more Hala raid for the highest tier to drop. Make since?

And yes bring back the open world raiding of xrds or south shore or whatever but just for the fun of it. Or if a successful raid on a low lvl village let that faction who did this successfully take control of that small town or place or whatever it is they decided to raid against.

Some how, I suspect your rose colored glasses are obstructing your vision... ^^  I've been in WoW since late beta. I currently have two 90's and seven 85's.  Many of the things you consider a positive, would make me not even bother with such a game. Just two would be;  being flagged when fighting world bosses, and the open world ganking that went on in the first year to 18 months.

Having leveled to 60 on US realm deathwing (PvP) I'm painfully familiar with what goes on with such antics.  Corpse camping, roaming gank packs and large groups camping the entry portals of the dungeons.  We used to have to bring in two or three parties worth of players, just so some of our lower levels could get into the dungeons.

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I see rather little in your list that would recommend such a game to me.  Given the change in demographics over the years, I suspect such a game would be a narrow niche.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Wraithone
    Originally posted by Isturi

Some how, I suspect your rose colored glasses are obstructing your vision... ^^  I've been in WoW since late beta. I currently have two 90's and seven 85's.  Many of the things you consider a positive, would make me not even bother with such a game. Just two would be;  being flagged when fighting world bosses, and the open world ganking that went on in the first year to 18 months.

Having leveled to 60 on US realm deathwing (PvP) I'm painfully familiar with what goes on with such antics.  Corpse camping, roaming gank packs and large groups camping the entry portals of the dungeons.  We used to have to bring in two or three parties worth of players, just so some of our lower levels could get into the dungeons.

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I see rather little in your list that would recommend such a game to me.  Given the change in demographics over the years, I suspect such a game would be a narrow niche.

All the things I loved about the PVP servers (Kel Thuzad) in vanilla WOW, and one of the reasons why I find the game not worth playing anymore. image

I'm sure Blizzard keeps wondering if their new title will be able to meet or exceed the success of their flagship MMO.

But no, I don't think making a copy of anything results in greater success than it's predecessor.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854

Bring back X-road, and Tarren Mill Vs Southshore raids!

P.S. Also I would like to see a server start from maybe the Dire Maul patch, and slowly progress to todays X- Pac

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Best time i've had in my whole gaming career...

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Many would come back and join such a server.  After a week or so of the old quests grind they would quit.  Reach 60 and grind resist gear and all that shit again?  No, it would not last.   [mod edit]
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Making a clone of vanilla would never succeed because the main thing vanilla has is sentimental value. Re vanilla v mop, mop just has too much content, however wow tbc is much better than mop IMO..
    [mod edit]

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    People remember vanilla so fondly. The only thing it had going for it was difficult raids. Everything else was just okay. At the time it was awesome because of how it was presented and the fact that there wasn't any wow clones yet. The fact of the matter is, most people won't even touch a game that has ganking now a days. People are like YES I LOVE THOSE ASPECTS, until it happens to them and they get severely irritated because they haven't had to deal with it in such a long time. I'm okay with ganking occasionally, but I remember how awesome it was back in chronicle 2 in Lineage 2 when everyone was ganking eachother. But now if I play Tera and get ganked a couple times I get irritated and play something else.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Frankly only a small percentage of people played and still play on PvP servers compaired to PvE servers....thus they put their money where their people are.  Open World PvP is almost always second class to PvE concerns in MMORPG's.  Till they find a way to stop ganking that people do not call carebear.
  • wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    Originally posted by Horusra
    Frankly only a small percentage of people played and still play on PvP servers compaired to PvE servers....thus they put their money where their people are.  Open World PvP is almost always second class to PvE concerns in MMORPG's.  Till they find a way to stop ganking that people do not call carebear.

There is no way to stop ganking without being carebear. That's an oxymoron. You don't want to get ganked, roll with a group. *gasp* Play with others instead of soloing. Can't get people to level with you in your current guild or group, find a new one that's worth two shits.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Originally posted by wordiz

There is no way to stop ganking without being carebear. That's an oxymoron. You don't want to get ganked, roll with a group. *gasp* Play with others instead of soloing. Can't get people to level with you in your current guild or group, find a new one that's worth two shits.

Yeah because my 10 lvl 5's in a group will just get rolled by 1 60.....frankly that is the reason PvP is dead in MMORPG's.  Either everyone must be stat-wise equal at all times with only skill being different or you lose 75% of the massive player base.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Why do they need to be as successful as retail wordiz. A game is successful If people enjoy playing it. Mop does little more than maintain a stream of achievements and gear to string along those players. Ever wondered why the achievments available grows faster every patch?

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Originally posted by wordiz

Yeah because my 10 lvl 5's in a group will just get rolled by 1 60.....frankly that is the reason PvP is dead in MMORPG's.  Either everyone must be stat-wise equal at all times with only skill being different or you lose 75% of the massive player base.

I've commented in many discussions leading up to GW2's release about how much better world pvp would be in a game that featured level caps on zones like GW2 does.  Of course open world pvp wouldn't fit well in GW2 because of the way events work, but  down-leveling could really help alleviate the severe stat discrepancies that make ganks by high level players so cheap and stupid.  Down-leveling itself has its cons as well, of course.  

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

Originally posted by kabitoshin

Bring back X-road, and Tarren Mill Vs Southshore raids!

P.S. Also I would like to see a server start from maybe the Dire Maul patch, and slowly progress to todays X- Pac

Originally posted by Volgore

Best time i've had in my whole gaming career...

uh.  the pvp you guys say you are looking for,  exists in wow right now.  from 1-90.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    OP - It's not the content, systems or mechanics of Vanilla you crave its the feeling you had while playing vanillia when it was all fresh and new - you'll never get that back even with vanillia servers.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    Originally posted by expresso
    OP - It's not the content, systems or mechanics of Vanilla you crave its the feeling you had while playing vanillia when it was all fresh and new - you'll never get that back even with vanillia servers.

I Disagree actually, having played a vanilla server it is a hell of a lot of fun, partially because of the sentiment, partially because of the great story telling and partially because there is no pressure to rush through the content. 

I totally agree with you Bladestorm :)

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Originally posted by Dragonantis

This....and the fact that many players will keep comparing it to WOW, like the Op, and therefore not giving it a real chance.

Just let that classic Wow of yours be a fond memory, it isn't coming back.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Speaking strictly on the topic at hand and not the information therein, the prospect of having a new game that is "near identical" to how Vanilla WoW was would probably not do well at all.

This is simply because people are mainly thinking of it with nostalgia and not remembering just how bad Vanilla was.  The only real fond memories are of the "fresh" and "new" feel some systems had (a feeling which cannot be replicated unless you view copying Vanilla WoW to meaning making something completely different that feels fresh) or the community and friends people remember during that time that no longer play or have changed along with the game as a whole.

In terms of difficulty only 00.05% of the population actually raided the high end raids like AQ and Nax, of which caused the vast majority of those guilds to split apart due to the difficulty.  Though honestly, when compared today's MMO raider, the content wouldn't be challenging simply because people are used to the whole raiding system; the whole scene was under developed in terms of the pool of players they could invite, and it's much easier to get people who know what they're doing.  This is especially true with the addons such as DBM and many others that just weren't available back then.

With PvP all there really was, was either ganking low levels or the whole back and forth in Hillsbrad and the conflict in STV.  When BGs were introduced most of the players just grinded that like crazy for both the titles and the new gear that they could et with about six to nine months of work.  While the prospect of it was amazing, most would not give a game the time of day that would take such dedication just to get a single piece of equipment.  It would have a lot of old school MMO veterans playing it, but they are outnumbered a hundred to one in today's market, and most weren't even around for the days of Ultima Online or before all these instant gratification that most expect now.

The last game that was really hard, almost needlessly hard and required months and years just to level up crafting professions and combat was Final Fantasy XIV.  We all know how that ended, and just how many people hated that game.  It restricted people from even getting levels with the fatigue system, making it so they had to wait weeks to get another level.  They even made it a pain to get around from one place to the next.  Granted most who enjoy a challenge stayed with the game and it improved over time.  It was an accomplishment to have a max level, a few high level professions, and your artifact armor.  You could proudly wear it in town or just riding around on your chocobo; you could help people by giving them free repairs on their armor (as players repaired for other players if they have a very high skill in that particular craft: I.E. if cloth was torn, a tailor, armor... a blacksmith, weapons... a weaponsmith... etc.).  You were thanked, and you constantly read complaints of how people will never become a crafter because it took too long and was too boring to do so; such things made you even more proud of your accomplishment and everytime you helped someone you felt good about it.  But it still was hated on by most people, and it did over all make some pretty bad choices that may have turned of even those who enjoy games blatantly taking a long time to get ample progression.  It's one reason why we now have A Realm Reborn, which is a complete overhaul of the game with a new engine and pretty much 90% of what they had scrapped since people don't like long lasting challenge (at least those who spoke with their wallets).  This doesn't mean that ARR won't have challenges, but it could be said that the same pride of accomplishment will probably fade in time as things will be made easier than they were in the past so that more people will actually try it.

Games such as Ultima Online and FFXI where it took a year to get something special done are a thing of the past since WoW moved in.  They are a cherished memory for most, but for all the bad WoW did, it did make the MMO scene it's own genre and caught the attention of big time publishers and investors (I've seen dozens of MMOs that couldn't get funding back in thre day due to lack of investor interest; Trials of Ascension was one in the early 2000's).  Luckily the idea of becoming the "WoW' killer is starting to fade and people are trying to bring fresh air into the games and even provide new payment options.

WoW very much had systems in place such as the above, of which they changed with patches and expansions as time went on until they implemented flying mounts and made just about everything thoughtless and done for you with the touch of a single button.  The addons contributed to this in a lot of ways, as the game had to be balanced for those who use "vanilla" systems without alterations, and mods could tell you what you need to do when you need to do it (some even show on screen what ability you should use next for optimal performance so it's just a game of simon says).  These same people say it's too easy despite using system to make it thusly.

Here's an interesting video that pertains to WoW and the industry in itself.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415

Every UO and EQ player who ever lived? Every SWG player who complained about NGE, DAoC player who complained about ToA, WoW player who complained about WOTLK...

I could go on, the evidence just surrounds us here each and every day.

Is this a trick question, or a quiz?

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Originally posted by Antiquated

Every UO and EQ player who ever lived? Every SWG player who complained about NGE, DAoC player who complained about ToA, WoW player who complained about WOTLK...

I could go on, the evidence just surrounds us here each and every day.

Is this a trick question, or a quiz?

But those people are the vocal minority who don't realy know what they're asking for, they'll hate vanillia they just dont know it yet.

Fro example;

I remember in vanillia WoW I would see a chest in a small enemy camp, I would do anything to get to that chest cus im my mind that could be the one chest with some ultra rare items in when in reality it had some health pots and some wool.  Not long after I cared not for the chests cus I knew what they were about.  On vanillia server I am still going to skip the chests cus I still know what they're about.   Again it's the felling not the experience people are craving, and you cannot get that feeling back without a lobotomy.