Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New star wars mmo?

13»

Comments

• stratasaurusstratasaurus Member Posts: 220
    The idea that Lucas Arts had given the rights for a STARWARS MMO to someone in 2010 while SWTOR was still in development is just not something I can believe.  I'm calling bluff
  • ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    would be great if SWTOR got SWGed.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by ignore_me

How's that?  Turned into a great game?  Turned into WoW with lightsabers?  Or shut down?

First one probably won't happen, second one it pretty much already is, and third one will just take more time.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by stratasaurus
    The idea that Lucas Arts had given the rights for a STARWARS MMO to someone in 2010 while SWTOR was still in development is just not something I can believe.  I'm calling bluff

Agreed. And the fact that SWG was still in operation and had exclusive MMO rights for the movies. I think I smell a "troll".

Let's party like it is 1863!

• Storman1977Storman1977 Member Posts: 207

We already know that EA/Bioware doesn't have exclusive rights to a Star Wars MMO.  There are still two SW MMos on the market - SWTOR and SW: Clone Wars.  Whilest the second is based on the Cartoon Network show, it is still a Star Wars IP MMO.

Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by ignore_me

How's that?  Turned into a great game?  Turned into WoW with lightsabers?  Or shut down?

First one probably won't happen, second one it pretty much already is, and third one will just take more time.

well I meant shut down in favor of a new SW game. But I didn't mean replace with a crappier version, if that is even possible in this case.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

The potential for a new SW MMO is immense. There were MILLIONS of people looking forward to SWTOR... people on a large scale simply didn't enjoy what was actually created.

I hope Disney will call for a new MMORPG, hire the right talent and keep treating the IP right.

Personally, I'd love to see a new MMO set AFTER Return of the Jedi - likely with the new trilogy of movies.  Most fans identify best with the old trilogy and I'm sure many would love the contunuity an MMO could provide.

Because of what little I've heard about EverQuest Next all sounding great, I'd probably want them to handle it... they have the best list of 'lessons learned', that's for sure.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318

If LA was smart, they would eat some crow hire SOE to re-release the original SWG, no patches. and stick with only fixing bugs, that's it.

That would equal insane profits in today's market, that particular version of the game was far ahead of many MMOs today.

I know it's a pipedream, but seriously, if I was an investor in that company.. the game is already made, HELLO.

Roll it back, release it new, no bonuses for anyone, clean slate, and boom...PROFIT! and the sandbox crowd as well as the SW IP fans /drool.

just a humble opinion.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

I completely agree that in many ways SWG was way ahead of it's time.  Unfortunately, that was also part of its downfall. 

However, now we're seeing a gradual shift towards more sandbox experiences.

Personally, I have believed for a long time that the best Star Wars MMO would be a hybrid sadnbox/themepark experience.  It's possible... but the right people really need to be involved.

Again, this is why I say I think what SEO is doing with EverQuest Next is going to be great for MMORPG's and I would love to have them take on Star Wars again with the same pilosophy and all the lessons learned from SWG.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• rpg_gunnerrpg_gunner Member Posts: 80
    Originally posted by dustyhayes
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Originally posted by zakin
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

I'm not buyin it.
    And besides, LA can't make a game to save their arse.
    If they have any say in the game's development....And I think they've had more say in the previous 2 than what we are being told, the game will be crap anyway.

LA is also very upset with Bioware/EA's handling of SWTOR

That doesn't make sense, since LA has to give approval for anything Star Wars that is made and according to developer blogs, they were constantly keeping eyes on SWTOR's progress from beginning to end.  So, either someone is lying or LA doesn't want to admit they supported an idea that was good on paper, but not as good in practice.

1. If there was to be another Star Wars MMO I would keep an eye on it, but I would appoach it with skepticism and my expectations would be far more conservative because the Star Wars brand won't be getting anymore leaps of faith out of me.

2. Yeah I'm sure LA would be pretty unhappy with Bioware/EA since they had the talent, the resouces, the financial support of a high-budget Michael Bay movie, and the golden IP to have an excellent opportunity give Blizzard one hell of a run for its money and it got squandered to make "WoW in Space theme parker"  while they should of been bold and orginal in making an next gen MMO instead of repeating the same mistake which SOE did with the SWG's "NGE" /Rant Off because I could write a few pages of this.

3. All I got to say is "Star Wars prequals" Lucas defend it, would not admitt his mistakes and blames it on the Star Wars fans for ruining Star Wars.

Number 3 reminds me of a parody video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJlbPXZEpRE

Even if a lot of people saw the first 3 films as abominations, he did keep defending them as if there was nothing wrong.

• krazedonekrazedone Member Posts: 5
    Explain the Clone Wars SOE has running if they were forced to pull the plug on SWG. And this my insider friend crap is just silly. You expect people to believe you?
  • FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by Deleted User

If LA was smart, they would eat some crow hire SOE to re-release the original SWG, no patches. and stick with only fixing bugs, that's it.

That would equal insane profits in today's market, that particular version of the game was far ahead of many MMOs today.

I know it's a pipedream, but seriously, if I was an investor in that company.. the game is already made, HELLO.

Roll it back, release it new, no bonuses for anyone, clean slate, and boom...PROFIT! and the sandbox crowd as well as the SW IP fans /drool.

just a humble opinion.

but I'd still insist on a one year period of intensive bugfixing, graphics updating and polishing, then release as Star Wars - Galaxies Reborn

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by zakin
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

I'm not buyin it.
    And besides, LA can't make a game to save their arse.
    If they have any say in the game's development....And I think they've had more say in the previous 2 than what we are being told, the game will be crap anyway.

LA is also very upset with Bioware/EA's handling of SWTOR

If Disney is upset too, maybe there will be a new Starwars MMO announced soon.

Let's hope for the best

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605

Lucas Arts no longer owns Star Wars. It's Disney now.

Also I very much doubt Lucas Arts would have sold an exclusivity deal to Paradox in 2010 while Bioware was working on SWTOR. It makes no sense at all.

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

It's possible LA hedged its bets and gave out another SW MMO licesnse. (They did torpedo SWG with SWTOR, even after it was their insistence on the NGE.)

Looking at the timetable, this guy from EA states,

"When I was in EA we were deeply concerned about how boring SWTOR’s gameplay was. And that was back in 2010. They finally realized the truth and decided to delay the game for another year to try to fix it."

http://whatculture.com/gaming/why-guild-wars-2-triumphed-where-others-failed.php

So I guess anything is possible. OP states the second license was given out in 2010.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    The post is almost a year old and still no word or even rumors....hmmm
  • tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    Originally posted by DamonVile

Who knows. The internet is a giant rumorville. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.400521-Obsidian-is-Pitching-a-New-Star-Wars-Game

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by tiefighter25
    Originally posted by DamonVile

Who knows. The internet is a giant rumorville. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.400521-Obsidian-is-Pitching-a-New-Star-Wars-Game

that's not a rumor though. They are pitching a new star wars game. It may even happen if it's not an mmo. As far as  I know only the rights to MMOs was sold to EA. There's nothing stopping somethinng like this from happening.

The mere idea of this is enough to make me happy. If only it were true.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Why would anyone get excited for a new Star Wars MMO?   Its pretty obvious Lucas Arts is only interested in mass popularity, just take a look at what they did to SWG and look at how SWTOR turned out.