Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Leader Boards and Achievements

SaintWalker44SaintWalker44 Member UncommonPosts: 80

Just recently started following ESO and found out about these pvp mechanics. Ive always been a big fan of these types of in game tracking, not enough mmos have them imo.

A few in particular were Aion and Age of Conan. Another one that I really liked was Warhammer. Their tracking stats were well done, it was called the Book of something...  Having a place where you could go to and track your measures against other players is a simple way to add content, and can lead to alot of ingame bragging rights. Yeah yeah, epeeners rejoice blah blah...

This game sounds like its heading down the right path.....Anyone else like these types of measuring statistics in mmos?

All Will Be Well.....

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by SaintWalker44

Just recently started following ESO and found out about these pvp mechanics. Ive always been a big fan of these types of in game tracking, not enough mmos have them imo.

A few in particular were Aion and Age of Conan. Another one that I really liked was Warhammer. Their tracking stats were well done, it was called the Book of something...  Having a place where you could go to and track your measures against other players is a simple way to add content, and can lead to alot of ingame bragging rights. Yeah yeah, epeeners rejoice blah blah...

This game sounds like its heading down the right path.....Anyone else like these types of measuring statistics in mmos?

The Camelot Herald, a website where all the PVP stats wrer available, was an integral part of DAoC. It was the first MMO to do it as far as I know. You could get the top 10 lists by guild, overall, by class, by server, by realm....daily, weekly, monthly, all-time, etc. It also had a live upfate of who was in control of what.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• alterfenixalterfenix Member UncommonPosts: 370

As much as I like the idea I must say that I am a bit cautious about it. If TESO community evolves more into something like DAoC or WAR have then by all means, I am all for it.

However if TESO community evolves around WoW players as core of playerbase then this could be a disaster too. To put it simple for example If I am top player in something I like to show it but I do prefer to do that in game by actually showing that my position in ranking is earned. But then I know myself several ppl that wouldn't stop there or even wouldn't stop on in game trolling about how awesome they are (while i.e exploiting some mechanics in clearly way agains the rules in order to get to top 10). They would just claim their awesomeness on every possible occasion and this is kind of behaviour that could drive away others from game too (not just from such players).

Don't take me wrong, I am not against such idea but I am also not for it automatically. It can be fun but also it has to be really well thought through in order to work without any stupid side effects.

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    The Camelot Herald was really awesome for DAOC. I'd love to see something similar in TESO
  • Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

This is all well and good, but the ridiculous nature of there being player Emperors will make it pretty silly.

If they can, in some unfathomable way, make the whole 'mayfly emperor' element so well that it is taken seriously, then this will help any kind of recognition system greatly...

... I am not holding my breath though - I think Emperors will be the target of jokes, not the focus of respect, and so everyone 'beneath' them will be tarred with the same brush.

"Who is emperor this week?"

"Not sure - think it's Legolass again..."

"What, the same one as last month!?"

"Nah - some other no-life PvP'er from 'Pownage Guild' who couldn't think of an original name."

"Hey - there he is dancing in the fountain and posting in global about how leet he is..."

"Yeah, great..."

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    I am sure there will be one. Why would a game thats leaning towards RvR style PvP not have one? Running metrics is something thats easy to do now days.
  • SaintWalker44SaintWalker44 Member UncommonPosts: 80
    Originally posted by Caliburn101

This is all well and good, but the ridiculous nature of there being player Emperors will make it pretty silly.

If they can, in some unfathomable way, make the whole 'mayfly emperor' element so well that it is taken seriously, then this will help any kind of recognition system greatly...

... I am not holding my breath though - I think Emperors will be the target of jokes, not the focus of respect, and so everyone 'beneath' them will be tarred with the same brush.

"Who is emperor this week?"

"Not sure - think it's Legolass again..."

"What, the same one as last month!?"

"Nah - some other no-life PvP'er from 'Pownage Guild' who couldn't think of an original name."

"Hey - there he is dancing in the fountain and posting in global about how leet he is..."

"Yeah, great..."

lol @Legolass

Totally agree Calliburn......There will be ALOT of " NO LIFER EMPEROR" insults etc.

And I can hear the casual players, the ones with little play time, being pissed off and complaining because they have no chance to become Emperor.

"ITS NOT FAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIR'...................As usual.

All Will Be Well.....