Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KingsIsle Business Model

ArduArdu Member CommonPosts: 55

Hi everyone, this is Ardu and today I’m going to talk about KingsIsle business model.

I first started playing Wizard101 back in 2009 and it was also my first MMO. Back in the days Wizard101 was very affordable with a subscriptions and pay by area, players actually got to enjoy the many things Wizard101 had to offer.

As of today KingsIsle relies on micro transactions, subscriptions, pay by area and on top of that loot packs similar to loot wheels. Loot packs offer many items that are nowhere to be found as drops. So not only KingsIsle charges us paying customers with subscriptions but we’re also forced to gamble just to get what we want.

Being a long time player and a paying customer I feel KingsIsle have done nothing more than just rip off their customers. Of course KingsIsle clearly states that there is a “chance” to gain any of the rare items they offer on their loot packs.

What really sucks about this; instead of satisfying their customers for what they actually want and for what they actually are paying for, most of the time players get rip off by only getting absolutely garbage from those packs. So behind the family friendly games hides a greedy company that is is just as worse as EA.

Even Pirate101 also offers the same crappy business model. To prove my point the other day I spend $20 dollars worth of crowns on tribal packs on Pirate101, it turns out it was a total waste of crowns/money. I'm a big fan of raptors, so I was thinking well if I can get a raptor companion maybe I’ll enjoy Pirate101 a lot more... Well unfortunately I became of victim of a greedy and unfair business model.

KingsIsle makes their players think just because they're getting stuff and is all fair and good while still not obtaining what they actually spend money on, which is absolutely not.

So I have spent about $400 dollars on Wizard101 in the past 6 months, far more than I have spent on any other MMO. In another words I'm contributing and supporting KingsIsle by spending my money on their games.

New MMOs are coming out with better business models which offer better deals to players. For example; Guild Wars 2 offers a better business model and it doesn't even rely on loot packs, yet the game is profitable. 

Now why is it so hard to satisfy a customer? Why go the extra mile and rip off customers with loot packs? 

Why can't KingsIsle offer a better business model? Is it really that hard?

Imagine how many more players will actually buy more stuff from the in-game shop if the items were offer individually at reasonable prices.

Example: Hey KingsIsle got $20 bucks and I want to buy a wyvern mount, here take my money and let me enjoy what I'm actually paying for. There is absolutely no need to rip off players, the company still makes money and the customers are satisfied.

Whoever runs KingsIsle Entertainment is doing an awful job at it, I really hope that person could step down and let a better person run the company. It has been 3 years since Wizard101’s PVP has been broken, players and fans have asked many times for a better PvP system and yet there hasn’t been no fix to how unbalanced and broken it is.

I’m really sick and tired of seeing that the only things KingsIsle makes for the games are loot packs. Some people say; I rant a lot and that I only seem to hate KingsIsle, well at least I say what it actually needs to be said.

I really hope KingsIsle Entertainment can stop ripping off their players and offer a better business model.

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Since it's been extremely successful since release, I'm inclined to say the business model is pretty damn good, just not the best one for you.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373

Two things, one you will like and one you won't.

1.  Many people have issues with hiw Kingslisle does things.  That is one of the main reasons why their resub rate and player base retention is so low.

2.  No one forced you to spend the money you did.  By spending your money with their model, you basically became part of the same problem you are complaining about. 

My advice is the following: do not give them anymore money and get away from Kingisles games.  Nothing will send your message more clearly and convincingly. 

• ArduArdu Member CommonPosts: 55
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Since it's been extremely successful since release, I'm inclined to say the business model is pretty damn good, just not the best one for you.

Yeah, pretty good for them by ripping off players specially the younger audience. 

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I liked W101 at first but once I started seeing areas that required payment I was gone.....To me that is one of the worst payment models out there.
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by Ardu
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Yeah, pretty good for them by ripping off players specially the younger audience. 

obviously its not like they're armageddon or something cause they're still in business running things just fine. you want to look at a bad business model? go take a look at SWTOR's f2p.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Its a similar business model to that of pretty much every popular ccg in the last 20 years. Considering the number of fans of those games I would have to say you really do not have much of a leg to stand on.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• zerocountzerocount Member UncommonPosts: 200

"So I have spent about $400 dollars on Wizard101 in the past 6 months"

Now that is some business model, I bet other mmo's wish they could get that off their players lol

• Domy1Domy1 Member UncommonPosts: 46

Completely agree with your grievance, I started my sons on wizard 101 but soon changed their gaming to other areas when realised their cashgrab model.

I can agree to a sub each month or f2p and cashshop and i cannot  argue re gamble bags having played and spent too much on Atlantica online but to have a sub and gamble bags thats just wrong.  Change games NOW

The sooner people wise up and refuse to buy, the sooner these companies will change thier business model, if i am spending real money I want to get a certain item, not a CHANCE of getting the item

Originally posted by zerocount

"So I have spent about $400 dollars on Wizard101 in the past 6 months"

Now that is some business model, I bet other mmo's wish they could get that off their players lol

I spent that money on microtransactions and buying up areas. As you can see microtransactions and pay by area actually makes money, but there is no need to offer those loot packs.

Wizard101 and Pirate101 are great games but quite frankly the business model sucks. I will not spend any more of my money until I actually see some real changes.

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by Domy1

Completely agree with your grievance, I started my sons on wizard 101 but soon changed their gaming to other areas when realised their cashgrab model.

I can agree to a sub each month or f2p and cashshop and i cannot  argue re gamble bags having played and spent too much on Atlantica online but to have a sub and gamble bags thats just wrong.  Change games NOW

The sooner people wise up and refuse to buy, the sooner these companies will change thier business model, if i am spending real money I want to get a certain item, not a CHANCE of getting the item

Yeah but if they sell the item outright its P2W and we all know thats the DEVIL!

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

Originally posted by Domy1

Exactly, players shouldn’t be force to gamble on the things they want.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    This company is all about the money. And its a shame being that it calls itself a family game. Yeah parents have to spend so much money to keep the kiddies happy along with a monthly sub. The model is worse than swotor if you can believe that. Don't let your kids find out about this game.