Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats the next big MMO soon to be released? After Defiance...

ch0sen0nech0sen0ne Member UncommonPosts: 87

I'm getting Defiance for sure... but I'm just wondering if there are any other MMO's coming out soon that have a set release date. 

and none of this Q1 or Q2 release date shenanigans, I want exact dates...

Comments

• ch0sen0nech0sen0ne Member UncommonPosts: 87
    I'll take that as.... nothing? =(
  • kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Originally posted by ch0sen0ne

You sir are correct, has a cookie!

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by ch0sen0ne

Some will say Neverwinter (I wouldn't).. most will say TESO or ArcheAge.

Me? I think TESO is what I want to try the most out of whats coming.. but I'm not very hyped about any at the moment, including TESO.

World of Darkness is what I have my eye on the most.. but there isn't much to see yet.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • RattsRatts Member Posts: 48

Only other one I know of with a set date is Age of Wushu (4/10).

Doubt that's what you'd call a 'big MMO', since it'll be sandbox niche.  Rest of the year looks good though, with Neverwinter, FFXIV ARR, and TESO

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

what's considered big? Neverwinter and Age of Wushu are set for Q1 releases.. although neverwinter may be pushed to early Q2 we will see. FFXIV RR will get closed beta soon so depending on that release may not be too far.

By years end you got possibly TESO, wildstar, blade & soul, Archage,  the repopulation, black desert online, star citizen

last 3 may be 2014 though

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

what's considered big? Neverwinter and Age of Wushu are set for Q1 releases.. although neverwinter may be pushed to early Q2 we will see. FFXIV RR will get closed beta soon so depending on that release may not be too far.

By years end you got possibly TESO, wildstar, blade & soul, the repopulation, black desert online, star citizen

^ this. Though personally I wouldn't call Defiance "big" either. I really have a hard time calling it AAA.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

silly me forgot ARCHAGE :P they are looking at a late 2013 release possibly as well

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    silly me forgot ARCHAGE :P they are looking at a late 2013 release possibly as well

Its possible that u may see EQNext at the end of 2013. Maybe find out in august i guess how much they acualy done on the game with there fanfaire.

Originally posted by sanshi44

Its possible that u may see EQNext at the end of 2013. Maybe find out in august i guess how much they acualy done on the game with there fanfaire.

yea i saw that they mentioned "something" by end of this year.. but even still I HIGHLY doubt actual release will be anytime earlier than 2014

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854

By years end you got possibly TESO, wildstar, blade & soul, Archage,  the repopulation, black desert online, star citizen

FFXIV:ARR is in its closed beta, guessing its near phase 2 .

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Any "big" MMO that intends to release in 2013 will have been in development for at least 2 to 3 years by now, and it's highly unlikely that they would have kept it a complete secret for all that time.

So if it's not been mentioned by any of the replies so far, it's either not releasing this year or it isn't "big"...

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Most MMOs in the last eight years or so have been disappointments for me as a whole.  I'm not even sure anymore, and it really depends on what you're looking for in a game.

If you want Player Made Content and or a semi sandbox environment you'll probably be interested in both Neverwinter (for it's ability for players to make entirely new maps to host custom campaigns and quests) or Archage with the ability to build houses and get real estate in game.  In terms of the most interesting combat mechanics between those two, I'd have to give Neverwinter the victory as melee are very fun to play (unless you're looking at possible combinations instead of actual fighting mechanics, as Archage has a lot of potential classes), and even the wizard is great once you get used to a few issues here and there and learn to actually play it.

If you're looking for something that has great graphics and brings most of the ideas in the past five years into the fold, along with it's own ideas and systems relevent to it's IP, then I'd have to say Final Fantasy XIV ARR will be a good match.  It seems to have a great housing system as well, in addition to a lot of fanfare and the ability to raise and bond with your chocobo in various ways.  It's likely to have most of the old favorite classes of FFXI as well, as Theif / Samurai / Ninja / Blue Mage / Red mage were specifically quoted by Yoshi-P in interviews as classes he'd like to introduce in patches.

Elder Scrolls has a lot going against it, but also much going for it.  They're trying to reach out to two different audiences: MMO Players who are split between different payment models (though getting tired of P2P as a whole), and the ESO players who want an engaging setting and aren't used to / willing to pay monthly for a game once they have already bought it.  If they go P2P they could alienate ES players and B2P / F2P players will just go to the myriad other options available, and if they go F2P then B2P and P2P players will likely not give it a chance either, and ES players may give it a chance, but may not be devoted as much since they didn't put the money down for the initial game as they do with their normal fix of Elder Scrolls merchandise.  Honestly I would've thought a B2P with special P2P only servers (able to opt in and out of at will when wanting only to spend time in P2P community) would've been a great route, but they have the whole mega server thing.  Granted though, they have a system in place whereby you can make a check saying you're a Role Player and they'll only phase you wit other people who have that, so I guess they could have an additional box like that if you're an optional sub if they did this.

If you're looking for one of the best action fighter MMOs around, I'd probably go with Blade N Soul; the game is absolutely beautiful and the combat boasts the most impressive animations that I have ever seen in any game (even single player).  Not able to say much more with regards to that.

Then we have MMOs that are claming to be Sandbox games such as Trials of Ascension and Everquest Next and a few others that had Kickstarters; the kickstarter ones won't likely see the light of day until 2016/2017 if things go as planned.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • Nicco77Nicco77 Member UncommonPosts: 145
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by jimdandy26

By years end you got possibly TESO, wildstar, blade & soul, the repopulation, black desert online, star citizen

^ this. Though personally I wouldn't call Defiance "big" either. I really have a hard time calling it AAA.

But it is AAA - 5 years in development, by a 100+ person Dev team with a 50mil budget (recent article quoted the show costing around 50mil and the game also 50mil) including built from scratch game engine with full shot validation with pixel perfect accuracy, on three different platforms (ps3 and xbox have their own certification process which is brutal for online games, PC games don't have to be subjected to such scrutiny). 

Oh and a TV series tie-in, with constant updates planned after launch, because the game and the show will co-evolve.

None of that matters, as an alpha tester I know that its AAA game.

You must understand that for these people mmo=WOW,they will keep judge any game that don't have end game raiding and gear treadmill as a poor game,this is the mentality that ruined the mmo genre and will only satisfied by WOW 2.

Originally posted by DMKano

But it is AAA - 5 years in development, by a 100+ person Dev team with a 50mil budget (recent article quoted the show costing around 50mil and the game also 50mil) including built from scratch game engine with full shot validation with pixel perfect accuracy, on three different platforms (ps3 and xbox have their own certification process which is brutal for online games, PC games don't have to be subjected to such scrutiny). 

Oh and a TV series tie-in, with constant updates planned after launch, because the game and the show will co-evolve.

None of that matters, as an alpha tester I know that its AAA game.

Considering that AAA has no actual definition (much like a popcorn movie) its nothing more than an industry wide hype term. Same thing with "pixel perfect shooter". Especially judging from my own time in the current "alpha" build. I am sorry that you have such low expectations.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

Originally posted by Nicco77

You must understand that for these people mmo=WOW,they will keep judge any game that don't have end game raiding and gear treadmill as a poor game,this is the mentality that ruined the mmo genre and will only satisfied by WOW 2.

Not at all. There is nothing new in the game at all, and what they have taken they have no executed on very well in the least. The same piss poor questing (and server instabilities) that Rift has combined with wanna be Borderlands style weapons is just meh. I mean the games cut scenes currently do not even form a single coherent storyline, and thats before berating them for the rather aged graphics. I can only hope that much like Skyrim they release a high resolution texture pack for Pc, along with a moddable interface to get rid of the console garbage.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I will look at TESO, but don't know much about it, I usually wait till I can get my hands on something to see if it is something I would like.

Archeage and EQNext are the next 2 that I am most excited about, AA I am a little worried about a few of it's elements, so I am hoping they can pull off having a playable preview in August for EQNext, like they said.  I know they changed directions again, but I guess they can keep the art work and everything else, so that should make it more feasible.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Well saying Defiance is the next big mmo is kind of  laughable to be honest.  The next big mmo will be Blizzard's Titan and they will continue to rule all. 
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Normandy7
    Well saying Defiance is the next big mmo is kind of  laughable to be honest.  The next big mmo will be Blizzard's Titan and they will continue to rule all. 

"Blizzard's Titan" is beginning to sound like "Duke Nukem: Forever" at this stage...

It's been little more than a rumour for years now. If you take too long to finish any game, it may become irrelevant when it's finally finished, because the market will have changed fundamentally by that time. Unless they are scrapping everything and starting over every 3 years or so...

• ch0sen0nech0sen0ne Member UncommonPosts: 87

granted yes Defiance isn't going to be a huge success, I just simply meant AAA quality. Games like TESO, wildstar, blade & soul, Archage,  the repopulation is what I'm refering too. Just wondering which one was next... becuase I have a feeling Defiance isn't going to last long and my friend isn't that much of a FPS fan to begin with.

Personaly my moneys on The Repopulation, SWG fans are going to be flocking in droves.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Same, I wouldn't even call it an MMO either.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!