Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

30 minutes of gameplay - complete with questgivers with yellow exclamation marks

MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

Here is the 30 minute video where you can see the UI and also the questgivers - didn't even try to avoid the wow comparison with that one.   And you can see as he picks up quest they did indeed go with their "130 characters or less quest text" - so that's even more bland.  See for yourself.

30 minutes of gameplay ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DCqgowlTKo

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I honestly think it looks pretty good.
  • jnserenojnsereno Member UncommonPosts: 43

The world design is almost like a direct port from world of warcraft.

Like, literally, it looks the exact same.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238
    Looks halfway decent to me. Sadly I won't be playing because I'm pretty much done with MMORPGs.
  • FiredornFiredorn Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Originally posted by jnsereno

It's starts in the Barrens...but the chat seems dead...

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

This video is better for world design http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtK-8sUazUs

as well as this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOS_S7DLbCM

But I haven't played WoW since the first expansion, so I really don't know where they took it from there. Deradune looks pretty bland compared to the other areas in the videos I linked.

@OP

Do you consider these videos as bad as the more recent ones you have posted of that Dominion starter zone? Seems to be a big difference for me, but if you're disappointed, then you're disappointed :)

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

I have mixed feelings about this one.

They seem to be packing the game with lots of features, but I can't shake the "been there done that" feeling beacuse of art design and graphics.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

So what I took from the video.

Graphics:  Animated, Cartoony, WoW-like.  I know a lot of people don't like that style.  I personally enjoyed it once I got use to it. +/-

Atmosphere: Silly but warlike.  Ratchet and Clank feel with a little bit of Borderlands.  I think they mentioned 'Firefly vibe' in the video.  Kind of reminds me of WoW (again) but with a tad more focus on technology and sci-fi elements and less on old fantasy. +

Level design: Shit everywhere and just waiting to be explored, travelled on, and explored again!  While its not clear in the video HOW linear or non-linear the game will be, it SEEMED that there were dynamic events occurring based on where the player travelled.  Sort of Guild Wars 2/Warhammer like and making me think its leaning towards non-linear.  It still had quest-givers scattered throughout the area, which is pretty traditional MMORPG like.  Personally, i'm okay with that but I can see how it can be a turn off to people tired of the system. +

Combat and controls: Awesome, awesome and more awesome.  Kind of like a mix between DDO, GW2 and Tera.  Too many MMOs develop their content where you just sit in one spot and attack, move, sit in another spot and attack, move, sit in another spot and attack, ect.  Adding a lot of movement elements into your combat through various abilities makes combat much more dynamic then the vast majority of MMORPGS.  It opens more options for fighting and it raises the skill cap.  With double dodging and shift sprinting,  I think hardcore pvp players will really take a liking to this system.  Additionally it makes PvE much more fun (and the potential to be challenging) if you are required to be constantly positioning your character while fighting.  Combat awareness seems like it will be a big factor in this game (which is good).  ++

Customization: Going from what the producer said, it seems like you definitely have playstle options for each class.  He mentioned his chain saw wielding warrior who can play as tank, dps, or utility, CC which hints at classes not having to play only one role.  This will be great for opening up options to players and not Pigeonholing them into certain roles (atleast if each option is viable). +

Trinity: It looks like they are using it.  Some people are sick of this.  Some people don't care because there are no better alternatives out there.  Personally, I don't mind it but i'm not a big PvE guy anyways - I prefer PvP which relies on a lot more utility.  I do think that the way the combat is set up, everybody will be having so much fun with moving and attacking that the trinity will end up not even being that big of a deal. +/-

This is actually the first time i've seen Wildstar in action and I was pleasantly surprised.  The game looks good.  Yeah, it looks very WoW-like, but unlike Rift, Warhammer, and SWTOR (IMO the 3 biggest WoW-clones), the combat in Wildstar looks VERY solid.  It seems like the devs were really aiming to bring a good combat and control system.  I'm glad that this game is on my radar now and I will definitely be tracking its progress.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    so it looks like the race they haven't disclosed is a gnome like engineer race
  • RockardRockard Member UncommonPosts: 206

People say that SWTOR is like WoW in space,but this is

literally WoW in space.wow

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

This is a game I will definitely not get into.

I had originally posted concerns about telegraphing (those lame red circles on the ground to help the incompetent "play").  I still think telegraphing was a stupid idea.

But now .. now, the explanation marks above quest givers " ! " ..they are even the same flippin font as WoW.  This is really sad for Wildstar.

Coupled with their inability to release freeroam housing (it's instanced with a backdrop of others painted houses), and PVP that consists of instanced this and that .. no thanks.

Wildstar is a NO-GO for me.  Too bad, their housing trailer looked so promising .. but it was all smoke and mirrors :(

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I'm already not liking the telegraphing.  Where's the skill in the game telling you where the mob will attack, so you can get out of the way?

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

I have my own issues with the game, but how many threads do we need bashing this games first real video?

Quite a number of the people on these forums have been bashing games like GW2 for not having normal quests / being too instanced. Now here comes a game with supposedly minimal / no instancing (hence the cartoony art direction) and tradtional questing. And of course... now it's bashed for a completely different set of standards.

This is why we can't have nice things.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Hm that looks incredibly like WoW... I thought this was supposed to be sci-fi? And WoW clones are still being made?

Anyway, probably taking a pass on this one.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Originally posted by Yamota

Hm that looks incredibly like WoW... I thought this was supposed to be sci-fi? And WoW clones are still being made?

Anyway, probably taking a pass on this one.

The reason it looks so much like wow is the dev team has like 17 people from the vanilla wow's team working on it.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    me likes what I see but I want to see a 5man dungeon run
    Originally posted by aesperus

I have my own issues with the game, but how many threads do we need bashing this games first real video?

Quite a number of the people on these forums have been bashing games like GW2 for not having normal quests / being too instanced. Now here comes a game with supposedly minimal / no instancing (hence the cartoony art direction) and tradtional questing. And of course... now it's bashed for a completely different set of standards.

There is heavy instancing.  Get the memo on housing?  How about PVP?

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Karteli

Last I checked, there was little info out about PvP in this game (outside of the info slipped in the video about custom floating fortresses).

The houses wouldn't be surprising, but again I don't think they've specifically talked about them being instanced yet.

What they have said, however, is that the world is open and non-instanced, which sounds like it's probably setup in a way similar to WoW, where the world is largely persistant and open, with some smaller areas instanced off as needed.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

But who cares about housing, it's hardly a must have feature it's fuffy, pointless, nonesense that devs should not waste time on, I hate to be that guy but I think housing is the ultimate kiddy feature.. personal opinion ofc.

Last I checked, there was little info out about PvP in this game (outside of the info slipped in the video about custom floating fortresses).

The houses wouldn't be surprising, but again I don't think they've specifically talked about them being instanced yet.

What they have said, however, is that the world is open and non-instanced, which sounds like it's probably setup in a way similar to WoW, where the world is largely persistant and open, with some smaller areas instanced off as needed.

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/wildstar-arkship-answers-community-questions/

From an earlier post by me

Hmm

Housing

Q: Is housing instanced? And exactly how are there house battle zones going to work?

A: Housing is instanced. The War Plot system is the “housing” battle system.

Q: Is housing mobile? Will it be like UO where certain spots were coveted for being near good mining?

A: Housing is instanced.

Q: Can I attack someone else’s house?

A: Not currently.

Q: What kinda of stuff can we add to our houses ?

A: All the things – even functional items.

Kind of disappointing.  The housing trailer made it look like housing would be un-instanced, on floating islands, where you could visit and inspect others property - even friends if you knew their address / coordinates in the 3D sky.

That would have made the game interesting for me, despite me not liking the hand holding combat system.

The trailer did have weaponized islands though, so I guess that is the future plans of attacking another house.  Very odd that a potentially cool system isn't being talked about, just a snippy "not currently."   I guess house vs house (HvH? lol) is going to be instanced also in some kind of arena battleground .. disappointing.

---

That is what is known about Wildstar PVP.  Instanced.  Nothing has changed, to my knowledge.  House vs House is a cool concept, but instanced?  Pffft.

---

This interview was removed.  Shame,  Original MMORPG thread was http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/378023  just for history.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Looking like WoW is the least of my problems. The 360 on housing kinda turned me off from Wildstar. Seeing as I was hoping for non instance housing and they totally fooled me with that housing video. But the animations seems very top notch in my opinion. And if the core systems are solid and the flow of the game is smooth and polished, I could over look the housing debacle.

So for now I'm approaching it as a version of Allods without the heavy dependence on a cash shop to advance. And if it has half as many cool features Allods had, I'll be a happy camper for at least a few months. And that's all I can ask for up to this point.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

I thought you were exagerating but no it pretty much looks exactly like an orgrimmar skyline, color pallet, art style, the first couple minutes were the Horde in space.  Pretty funny developers are still practically duplicating that game.

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    I had interest in WildStar until I saw an interview where they said there's ZERO world PvP objectives in the game. Just instanced PvP. No thanks.
    The real issue for me is that they were hyping the perfect combo of sandbox and themepark, and then when asked what sandboxy elements are in the game the answer is housing and the path system.  Since when is instanced housing = sandbox.  And the path system is just another adventure alternative like the rifts in Rift.  This game is full on themepark as far as I can tell.
  • IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Originally posted by Margulis

One of the races they haven't diclosed is most likely a little furry creature (like the size of the rock guy's boot). It is in several SSs and videos. The other race is most likely an undead type that is using technology, magic, or alchemy to maintain its body.

I understand that plenty of people don't read additional posts after the OP, but from what I've heard plenty  (if not the larger share) of quests do not have ! with them.

Kind of disappointing.  The housing trailer made it look like housing would be un-instanced, on floating islands, where you could visit and inspect others property - even friends if you knew their address / coordinates in the 3D sky.

That would have made the game interesting for me, despite me not liking the hand holding combat system.

The trailer did have weaponized islands though, so I guess that is the future plans of attacking another house.  Very odd that a potentially cool system isn't being talked about, just a snippy "not currently."   I guess house vs house (HvH? lol) is going to be instanced also in some kind of arena battleground .. disappointing.

Doesn't mean that housing can't be within one of many different zone/cities where multuple houses exist with multiple users interacting :)
    Originally posted by Eluldor
    Originally posted by Margulis

One of the races they haven't diclosed is most likely a little furry creature (like the size of the rock guy's boot). It is in several SSs and videos. The other race is most likely an undead type that is using technology, magic, or alchemy to maintain its body.

I understand that plenty of people don't read additional posts after the OP, but from what I've heard plenty  (if not the larger share) of quests do not have ! with them.

Doesn't mean that housing can't be within one of many different zone/cities where multuple houses exist with multiple users interacting :)

Did you watch all of the video?  Because I did - every questgiver that I saw (between 5-10) had the typical yellow exclamation.  And what does it matter what percent have it or not?  It's the simple point that it's there.  They should at least come up with something original if they are going to use an icon over the head for a questgiver.  It's just asking for the wow-comparison more than the graphics even do to make that happen already.