Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why does lots of ppl still plays EQ2?

pongdunpongdun Member UncommonPosts: 81
Hi there guys, maybe you can judge me as noob but I never tried that game, and I always see people saying that they will play EQ2.. that it's a good game, etc. Why? Whats about it???

Comments

• kinidokinido Member UncommonPosts: 429

It is basically the sequel to one of the most recognized MMO's that has ever been released.

Also, it has a lot more Sandbox qualities then some games do .. Plus, die hard fans, truly are die hard.

www.everquest2.com

go look ..

PS - All mammals have nipples.

Get over it already.

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458

I can't speak as of raid content,as I'm no raider.

Other than that I feel EQ2 is a very very solid game.There is a lot of content and the crafting is 2nd to none,well maybe 2nd to Vanguard,but it is still outstanding.

I tend to play many alt's and this game is great for that,I have an outfitter,provisioner and jeweler on 3 different character's.If you like alt's and crafting this game shine's in those areas imo.

The game released within a couple week's of WoW and to me is deeper,better graphic's and better crafting.This is what makes this game a winner to me.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• swedagoswedago Member UncommonPosts: 78

I have plated EQ2 since it launched in NOV 2004.  I have tried 99% of the 'Next Big Thing' type MMOs (AoC, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWToR, GQ2, etc....).  I may get burned out with EQ2 but I always return.  The game functions well, the raids are competitive, the questlines are vast, and to me it is the most polished game out there since 2004 (even with their update bugs at times lol).

New players can go free2play, get all the expansions (except last 2 ones) for free, and the limitation on F2P players is not that bad compared to other F2P games.  This is a good reason to try it.  Only issue it that the game has been around almost 9 years, so hard for a new player to find any groups on most servers (most are doing 90th+ groups).   If you want to try the game I sugest you go to either Freeport or Antonia Bayle server and try it there.  Not so lonely for lower level players.

Most of the games that have been launched in the last 9 years of my playing EQ2 have had a fast appeal at low level then... Grind to a completely unpolished endgame...  Thus boredom and removed from computer.

Though EQ2 is losing players due chasing the new best thing for many people....  There really is not anything as solid.

EQ2 can be played solo (questing or instances).  You can easily get to 90+ in a couple weeks doing the questlines, or make some friends who can help you level.

I suggest you try the F2P...  It is free.  Then if you like it...  and have achived all you can from the F2P model..  Sub.

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340

If you can disregard my drunken comments of yesterday and can take me seriously here.

EQ2 is the only game I have continued to support since 2004. It has more to do than any existing game on the market. Sure it gets boring sometimes but it is solid and more sandbox then one thinks. The fact you can delevel yourself and play any and all content in a challenging mode adds immersion value in itself.

Some of the changes they made didn't set well with all of the community including me but all is forgiven in the end since it still entertaining and above all else FUN

ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • ArkainArkain Member UncommonPosts: 491
    It is a really good MMORPG, but I would say "try it and see what you think of it".

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

It is a good game that had a rough and rocky start. With the new f2p model just added on Wed it is very easy to get a lot of content in before ever spending anything.

I like it because there is a lot of different things to do and a large variety of classes also. Multiple ways to level from questing, grinding dungeons, dungeon maker(recently nerfed to near uselessness), PVP Battlegrounds and raiding. Also there is the writs. For the decorators the housing keeps many entertained. It just lets you have a closer to sandbox feeling then most the new games out. Decent updates are still coming out. I will say I do not care for the tradeskill system and consider it a weakness.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Its the best of the the traditional themeparks IMO.

One of my favroite things about Everquest 2 is something that highlights a major weakness with all other quest driven MMORPGs:  the Heritage Quests.

Think there is over 50 of em by now, and they are longer, multipart quests (often with a decent story behind them) that have you performing a variety of tasks, and usually taking you in to multiple dungeons.  At the end of the quest you get an item that even if you dont wear it, you can display in your house.

And then there are signature quests which are Heritage Quests on a bigger scale that involve raids.

Other games just dont bother with long questlines like EQ2 does.  Sure, some have one or two but EQ2 has significantly more than all the competition combined.

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

Here are some of the reasons.

-EQ2 has a massive amount of PVE content, might even surpass the content EQ1 has even with less expansions.  You name it, EQ2 has it and lots if it.

-EQ2 is very casual player friendly.  It was a hardcore game when it was released, but the player base revolted.  They changed it fast and the game is the only MMO to radically redesign it's core philosophy and be a success.  You can solo up to the highest level, get awesome gear and the mentor down to lower levels and do older content and still get EXP.....plus you are very powerful.  It's fun playing a game where you can be uber powerful.

-There is lots of everything in EQ2.  Quests, races, skills, zones, dungeons, raids, tradesillks, housing, mounts, guild stuff...etc.  There are many ways to play the game and there are many ways to get to the max level.  The game funnels you a bit at the highest levels, but like I said you can just mentor down and gulp down EXP potions and still level in older zones.

-Housing.  EQ2 maybe has the best housing system.  It's not in the world like SWG but there are so many different things you can put in a house and so many different styles.

-Charm.  It still has some of the charm that EQ1 had...I said SOME.  It is nowhere near as charming as EQ1 was but when you compare it to all the other themeparks it is much, much better.

-Lore.  A massive amount of lore awaits you in EQ2, just like EQ1.  It ranks up there with Lord of the Rings series and the Star Wars galaxy when it comes to lore.  Whether it is better is someones opinion, but it's not dubious lore like Vanguard.  Norrath feels right.

-Group content.  A massive amount of group content awaits at all levels.  A massive amount of raid content exists as well, though the lesser known raids are not really done anymore.

-The game works.  The buttons do what they say they do, there is not a whole lot of lag, the game systems work.  The engine sucks and has always sucked, but that is about it that sucks.

-The UI is very customizable.

If you are looking for a good game to play to tide you over for a while, try EQ2.  It is a total themepark.  As themeparky as you can get, so if you are burnt out on themeparks you might not like it.

• pongdunpongdun Member UncommonPosts: 81

Humm ty fo all info guys, the game seems very very nice. I checked some info about it, videos, etc and its very solid.. has lots of content for sure.

One important question that I always do before trying a MMO, the max level is 95 right? How much time does it take to get max level, generally?

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Originally posted by pongdun
    Hi there guys, maybe you can judge me as noob but I never tried that game, and I always see people saying that they will play EQ2.. that it's a good game, etc. Why? Whats about it???

wery simple, those who play eq2 like the game.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

Humm ty fo all info guys, the game seems very very nice. I checked some info about it, videos, etc and its very solid.. has lots of content for sure.

One important question that I always do before trying a MMO, the max level is 95 right? How much time does it take to get max level, generally?

That is varied depending on how you play. Do you do all the quests in the area even when outleveled? Do you push dungeons at lower level to farm for max xp gained? Will you be solo or in a group? Will you have a merc? Not a real way to answer it.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

IMHO people keep playing it because it has depth that is not seen in many themepark MMOs.

deep crafting, deep customization, many paths to leveling, intricate housing.  also lore that has in effect been built up for 14 years, because it shares the lore of EQ1.

as for the OP's question about leveling, your first character if you really push can get to max in a month or less.  every subsequent character will be faster because the game gives you a bonus to EXP after you have a max level character.  but if you speed level in EQ2 you might not learn enough about your character to be 100% useful.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

becuase its still a good game, heck as of the current moment im not actually playing any *new* MMOs, as none of them really intrest me, some of the older MMOs are still the best

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805

For me EQ2 feels like a world.

It might have zones etc wich aint really cool compared to the original but, Once you step into any EQ game. Wheater it be EQ, EQ2 EQOA and probaply EQNEXT. U know that u are in norrath, ive stepped into those 3 games and i got the same feeling that i was visiting the same world. That is something wich still amazes me.

Only 1 other game could get a world feel out of me wich was Warhammer online i actually felt that there was a War going on.

WoW has this to some extend. the world is all nice and cool the first time you are there after a month in the expanion being capped and visiting the zones multiple times. that feeling dissapears.

If you are the type of person that rushes to cap and thinks the game begins at max level, EQ2 probably isnt for you.  You *can* rush if you absolutely want to and it has decent raiding, but i think in general the people that like to take their time and do stuff like heritage quests and play through dungeons to see the dungeon, not get gear, will get the most out of EQ2

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

I don't play it anymore, but will freely admit of all the themepark mmo's released over the last 10 years this one EASILY has more features, areas to explore, and things to do than any other.  Plus it just has a really great high fantasy feel.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

EQ2 is pretty much a shade of its former glory, but even in its reduced state it still outshines most MMOs.

Here are the major selling points:

- 25 fairly unique classes, with a decent amount of customisation via Alternate Advancements and Prestige trees.

- A massive world with great lore.

- The best raids in the genre, although the new ones don't stack up to the golden age of The Shadow Oddessy and Rise of Kurnark.

- The best player and guild housing in the genre. Rift, LOTRO and Aion housing is a joke compared to the depth of EQ2.

- Better crafting than most games, although this has been dumbed down a lot since launch. Still a very important component of the game, even having its own epic quests entirely related to crafting.

- Dungeon maker. Not as good as Neverwinter, but still impressive for an aging game.

- Scaling dungeons and chrono-mentoring. Lets you experience a wide variety of content while leveling, rather than being stuck on the one path like many other games.

The major flaws are:

- Terrible performance. The game was designed with better single core processors in mind, not multi-core systems.

- Casualisation. The game was once the last bastion of challenging content, but now caters to the most casual of players (offering solo versions of zones etc).

- Overly focused on cash shop for new graphics. Most of the cool looking stuff is paid for, not aquired in game. You can still find old stuff that looks cool, but the new development has a focus on the cash shop.

• Tutu2Tutu2 Member UncommonPosts: 572
    Well, nothing that hasn't already been said. What I loved most was the in-depth lore, pretty good story-telling and mature playerbase. There's just so much content. Even after 3 years of playing I felt like I barely scratched the surface. The community is also established and overall much more mature and friendlier then almost every other MMO. And yeah I'm another one of those players who's been chasing around the next big thing all the time over the years, EQ2 and WoW were always the two I'd come back and play the most. 
  • lovebuglovebug Member UncommonPosts: 260

to me eq2 is the best fantasy mmorpg out there still.

i played for 8 years but just can not play anymore i am waiting for everquest next now.

i am just glad i was there at the start had a blast playing it was in a great guild and had a blast but for me its just not the same anymore.

but for someone thats never played eq2 you dont know what you have missed and well worth a play.

roll on everquest next can not come soon enough :)).

• mbolmembolme Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by lovebug

to me eq2 is the best fantasy mmorpg out there still.

I agree. It's a deep game with all aspects covered very well. Classes are solid, crafting is solid, there is a LOT of content. I keep leaving it for the next great thing, but then come back again. It's the best.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    It's not as good as it used to be. Classes for example only have a minstat + stamina to worry about and even before f2p they made alot of things soloable. Named mobs and easy heroic encounters shouldn't be soloable at all. Instancing old content and making it scale to your level. Oh and going f2p too. Afew other things but it's still EQ2 and if you ever played EQ1 you would even be more disapointed in EQ2 from day 1.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• ZapzapZapzap Member UncommonPosts: 224
    There are only 3 progression raiding games on the market.  EQ2, WoW and Rift.  Eq2 is one of the places competive raiding guilds and players  go. I don't know if EQ2 still has challenging raiding.  WoW moved to the everyone wins design and Rift seems to be having problems since they laid off a few of their raid devs.    The options for raiding guilds are  few and limited.  But there is large amount of content and content for all playstyles in EQ2.  For many veteran players a game like EQ2 is much better than the cookie cutter easy mode games we have seen flooding the market the last few years.
  • sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620
    Originally posted by Zapzap
    There are only 3 progression raiding games on the market.  EQ2, WoW and Rift.  Eq2 is one of the places competive raiding guilds and players  go. I don't know if EQ2 still has challenging raiding.  WoW moved to the everyone wins design and Rift seems to be having problems since they laid off a few of their raid devs.    The options for raiding guilds are  few and limited.  But there is lathe amount of content and content for all playstyles in EQ2.  For many veteran players a game like EQ2 is much better than the cookie cutter easy mode games we have seen flooding the market the last few years.

Don't forget about EQ1, it's not dead yet and still has 54 man raids.

• VolenibbletsVolenibblets Member UncommonPosts: 246

I returned there a while back after general frustration with everything else. Although a bit dated and a horrible engine that makes my brand new (pretty good) PC struggle at times, I am enjoying its little particular charms. It harkens back to a time of gaming where you were running in circles trying to figure out what to do and working for what you get. True, it is a themepark game but it's practically sandbox compared to modern themepark games - it really doesn't hold your hand for the most part. Character builds are far more complex that most modern games and exploration is endlessly fun, always finding new little treats in tunnels and in nooks. You can get a lot out of the free-to-play option with the option to open up to a gold sub if you find yourself liking it a lot. 

The only BIG downside is that it's got it's fair share of gear-nazi pricks. I'm not uber well kitted out for optimal pvping but I like healing as they're usually a rare breed in BGs. Often, even though I'm the only one healing, I have nobheads /shouting that I'm useless in the general channels because I couldn't keep them alive in the middle of huge BG zergs. Still, lots of lovely people in-game too but those other sorts leave a very bad taste in your mouth.