Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is F2P Working for SWTOR?

SibcoeSibcoe Member UncommonPosts: 61

Hey guys - 

I was recently looking at the SWTOR F2P model in more detail, and testing it out on an episode of <General Chat>.  

SWTOR F2P Working?

Check it out and let me know if you guys think it works, or if it is still too restrictive.

Cheers 0/

Comments

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by Sibcoe

Hey guys - 

I was recently looking at the SWTOR F2P model in more detail, and testing it out on an episode of .  

SWTOR F2P Working?

Check it out and let me know if you guys think it works, or if it is still too restrictive.

Cheers 0/

The best is to check for yourself. Something too restrictive for one person might be ok for other. One cartel market minimal purchase changes status from F2P to Preferred, which is less restrictive.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• BlueTiger33BlueTiger33 Member Posts: 158
    The bottom line is, all F2P does is gives access to those less fortunate. So is it letting more people play? Of course. Are they putting $$ into the game? Highly unlikely.

I will never support freeloaders, no more subsidized gaming.
    My Blog
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    Restrictive compared to what? It seems very expected and using microtransactions to get permenant unlocks. Or even using in game credits which is an unexpected benefit for the F2P player.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by Incomparable
    Restrictive compared to what? It seems very expected and using microtransactions to get permenant unlocks. Or even using in game credits which is an unexpected benefit for the F2P player.

well, they nickel and dime you for everything, warzones, flashpoints, ops, they reduce your xp, reduce credits you earn,  they have their cartel shop button in every window, they even take away your ability bars and don't let you equip purple gear. Seriously, that F2P is the most restrictive I've ever seen apart from some asian MMO ripoffs.

Name one F2P/B2P title which is worse?

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• huskie77huskie77 Member Posts: 354
    Folks, he's not trying to get you to discuss it here. This was a well crafted attempt to get people onto his Youtube channel and comment/subscribe there. I will go check it out since he was polite in the way that he posted.

• ShamorauShamorau Member UncommonPosts: 181
    By working, do you mean that populations have incresed, then yes it would be working. However it would seem that retention is still the major issue.
  • simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

unless they start billing freebies instead of subbed players,,and as long as the servers are up, yes

question should be : how well is it working?

according to fans, there are around 47 trillion players

according to haters, they are in negative numbers,,the NPCs and mobs are actually leaving the game too

looking at BWs actions is the best indicator

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

I'd like it alot more if they changed 2 things

1) removed the restrictions on group content

2) removed the restrictions on high level armor.

• FoxyShoxzyFoxyShoxzy Member UncommonPosts: 120
    Originally posted by simplius

according to haters, they are in negative numbers,,the NPCs and mobs are actually leaving the game too

This is one of the funniest things I have read in awhile. I actually laughed out loud and my wife asked what was so funny. Thanks for that :)

• D3Perfecto93D3Perfecto93 Member Posts: 14
    The F2P thing is working perfectly well but BioWare should have removed the money limit  because I can only buy less items for 200k.
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    I think its definetly working. Infact they are suckers for not doing it earlier.

Servers are packed, and most of the people are subscribers too.

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020

[mod edit] Seriously its disgusting how much they restrict F2Pers. They stripped what could have been an enjoyable game/experience bare of all fun and good and you're left with bones to gnaw on to try to get some substance.

Look at Tera's F2P to Founder to Elite comparison list, and look at SWTOR and shake your head in disgust because its nothing other than simply looking at the deadly sin Greed right in the face and the fact that people actually play this with free-status is mindboggling.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716
    I still wont sub to it but I just play for the story and not the end game and to me the $10 I have spent so far has been worth it. Will I spend more yeah most likely cause i am tired of getting gear I can not use so I will pay the fee to unlock it. I know in my guild which is a F2P one we dont have any subbers every one is a free player and alot are running FP and doing the PvP to there limit some do pay to unlock more and some have payed to have most the restrictions lifted but thats only like 30 people.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by FoxyShoxzy
    Originally posted by simplius

This is one of the funniest things I have read in awhile. I actually laughed out loud and my wife asked what was so funny. Thanks for that :)

+1

/me tips hat

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

Its not working.  Most people are not subbers, that is to say that needed 500k or whatever and they don't have that.

People to the storylines and maybe an alt then leave. 

This is a money grab.  Ea will get as much cash as they can now, probably because they have some sort of deal with LA to not shut the game down for X amount of time  or they are trying to sell it and want good numbers or are still trying to fool investors.

I would not count on the game being here a year from now.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677
    The number of people playing SWToR has remained steady (number 3 MMO on Xfire, #13 overall). However, the profitability from f2p is up for debate. Most f2p players are just doing the free class stories which does not involve a lot of purchases.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Their F2P model is so wierd. They should ahve looked to games like LotRO for a solid F2P model that kept people interested and paying for a long time.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by BlueTiger33
    The bottom line is, all F2P does is gives access to those less fortunate. So is it letting more people play? Of course. Are they putting $$ into the game? Highly unlikely.

of course full free players are unlikely willing to pay, they are being offered a horrible experience for being "free players". Its like, you want to try our game? sure log in, do personal story even if your not interested in that, like it? subscribe or gtfo.

I wouldnt pay a dime if im treated like that. As a prefered player i log in every once in a while. I like the game, but to me its not worth the sub. I refuse to buy more cash shop because no matter how much i pay in the cash shop, i still have progression limitations (If i could wear better gear and carry unlimited money i would use the cash shop again).

EAWARE refuses to understand that happy players spend money. Keep them happy, and you will receive money from them. Treat them like dogs just because they are "free players" and youll get the dogs poop.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by catlana
    The number of people playing SWToR has remained steady (number 3 MMO on Xfire, #13 overall). However, the profitability from f2p is up for debate. Most f2p players are just doing the free class stories which does not involve a lot of purchases.

a lot of us dont use xfire anymore

i have deleted that buggy piece of ... even though my computer had it installed from start

my games just runs so much better without it

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    EAWARE refuses to understand that happy players spend money. Keep them happy, and you will receive money from them. Treat them like dogs just because they are "free players" and youll get the dogs poop.

this

• altair4altair4 Member Posts: 158
    They did get a surge of players as expected, but retension is still bad and layoffs are still happening. So my guess is, no, it ain't working out for em. I see one of two things happening. Either they put the game on a skeleton crew after the "expansion" or they shut it down. Although feels like it already is on a skeleton crew.
  • Freakboy546Freakboy546 Member Posts: 40
    I think it is working.  I just started playing about a week ago and I know ill be subing soon.  I put 10 bucks in so far.  But you get alot for free. Anyone saying othewise is a Linux user and does not understand the value of money.
  • mrrshann618mrrshann618 Member UncommonPosts: 279

Hrmm hrmm hrmm,

Of course it isn't working, their F2P sucks cause it isn't giving me everything I want for free. Name one other F2P game that restricts things on  their F2P account!!!!

B.S. It is a free game. Seriously people complain that they can play many hours of a game for free with no obligation, nothing to actually buy, and no actual long term commitment?

My Dad would have smacked me up side the head if I would have said "What I have to pay for gas, maintainence, and insurance on that "free car" you just gave me?" AND then taken it away cause I was obviously ungratful to get a free car.

Play what you Like. I like SWOTR, Have a referral to get you going!
    -->  http://www.swtor.com/r/nBndbs  <--
    Several Unlocks and a few days game time to make the F2P considerably easier
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

Does anyone think 8 servers is working for F2P?  A F2P MMO should increase the population, but even Bioware couldn't do this with a Star Wars IP.

The restrictions are beyond ridiculous.  Let's compare WoW to Swtor.

WoW F2P restrictions

• Level cap is 20
    • Mailbox - cannot use
    • World Channels -cannot use
    • Whispers - cannot use
    • Trade - cannot use
    • Invite players -cannot use
    • Crafting professions -limited

SWTOR F2P restrictions

• Level cap  -up to 50
    • Mailbox -limited to send 1 item
    • World Channels -available to use
    • Whispers -avaiable to use
    • Trade -available to use
    • Invite players -available to use
    • Companion Customization -restricted
    • Color to chest -restricted
    • Tiered Armor -restricted
    • Warzones & Dungeons -restricted
    • Character Race/Class -restricted
    • Inventory (bank and bag space) -restricted
    • Crafting professions -limited
    Want to know the difference between all these points? 
    WoW's F2P restrictions are mainly due to Gold Farmers.
    Swtor's F2P restrictions offer enticement to subscribe, but in reality, it just discourages potential subscribers.
  • mrrshann618mrrshann618 Member UncommonPosts: 279

So, what you are saying observer, is that SWTOR gives you a whole basic storyline whithout the need to buy anything. You can go anywhere and do anything, but with "minor" restrictions. While WOW only gives you 20 levels, no way to unlock unless you purchase the WHOLE game as compared to unlocking things as you go, or can afford. This includes ANY higher level dungeons. SWTOR Dungeons are limited to number of times a week, but you can go in all of them!

I think I'll take a whole storyline/arc with the option to unlock the parts I like, AND still be able to effectivly play/trade with my friends (for the most part). Sounds like SWTOR wins in my book

Play what you Like. I like SWOTR, Have a referral to get you going!
    -->  http://www.swtor.com/r/nBndbs  <--
    Several Unlocks and a few days game time to make the F2P considerably easier