Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter: The Jewel of the North Trailer Released

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Perfect World Entertainment and Cryptic Studios have released a brand new trailer to show players why the city of Neverwinter is considered the "Jewel of the North" along the Sword Coast. Check it out!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Awesome video.
  • RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Pretty good video.  Looks like it's going to be a really fun game.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Let me say this: this is a perfect reason to never, ever, trust a marketing video put out by a game company. I have played the game, and it is at best, average (and in many places NOT). That is the gameplay, that is the game, not a shiny, "dog and pony" show video put out by the makers. The video does absolutely nothing to make the game any better. Nice video, borderline crap game (especially for a popular IP).
  • DJMantissDJMantiss Member Posts: 100

Huh? Everything they showed was directly from the game. It was a very accuracte representation and didn't do anything to make it look like more. I really like this video and wish other companies would do the same. 

Even better is the Great Weapon Fighter was clearly in there! Very good news for me since that one class is what I want to play come release. Very well done and if the devs can simply keep up this pace we could have a very good game.

• nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501
    At least the class you want is in there can we get a ranged DPS that is stricly DPS and not a healer or a control?

Yes, Im referring to the Warlock 8P
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Nice video, but the graphics look a bit dated.  I'll have to see how it plays.
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
    Originally posted by nationalcity
    At least the class you want is in there can we get a ranged DPS that is stricly DPS and not a healer or a control?

Yes, Im referring to the Warlock 8P

In beta the gear was dropping for Scourge Warlocks. Similar to all the gear I kept getting for Great Weapon Fighter. So if nothing else it seems planned and partially implemented. I doubt gear with graphics and stats would exist without a class to back it up in the future.

The classes thing and the fixed zoom are my biggest concerns with the game. If they can just get another 5 classes added within the first 90-days I think a lot of folks will be satisfied.

Originally posted by Wraithone

Unless they release more video options upon release then the graphics are nothing to wriet home about. They aren't Skyrim quality, plain and simple. What the game does well is it does incorporate actual atmosphere, gloom, fog, dungeons with little secret doors and hidden passages, etc. 

I personally feel its a game for a younger audience, which isn't a bad thing, but something I see in the art design and overall feel. It's almost like playing the D&D Cartoon. Yeah I'm old enough to remember the D&D cartoon, but it does it well. If you can handle playing something slightly cartoony, but fast paced with friends, you'll enjoy it.

PS - What do the stars under my name refer to? I feel like my current rating is that of a bad B movie. 

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by Burntvet
    Let me say this: this is a perfect reason to never, ever, trust a marketing video put out by a game company. I have played the game, and it is at best, average (and in many places NOT). That is the gameplay, that is the game, not a shiny, "dog and pony" show video put out by the makers. The video does absolutely nothing to make the game any better. Nice video, borderline crap game (especially for a popular IP).

It's not a CGI video.  It's made from in-game footage, which actually shows some of the gameplay as well.

I've played the game as well, and thought it was a lot of fun.  I'm looking forward to its release.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    well the game is utterly crap-if you play alone-but if you team up with firends- its quite ok.
    Originally posted by exile01
    well the game is utterly crap-if you play alone-but if you team up with firends- its quite ok.

Exactly. 

I look at this game as something fun to play with a few friends on Skype after work for an hour or two. Could even geek out and make a dungeon or quest series and play through with friends as well. A true stand-alone MMO this is not, but the mechanics work and the gameplay is fast and fun. So it works for the niche they seem to want to fill.

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    The game is more fun to play than the video shows.  I wasn't really super pumped to play this game but have to admit I enjoyed last weekend beta thanks to mmorpgcom.  I like how most of the quests are essentially mini dungeons.  Worth giving it a shot since it will be f2p if anyone is on the fence.  It might surprise you.  I hated the control wizard but cleric was a lot of fun.  A very well done healing class.  Though don't like the aesthetics of the cleric's weapon(symbol).  Would much prefer a mace, scepter, or staff.  Hate that weird dangling chain thing.  Looking forward to trying greatweapon fighter.  I really hope they have plans for a bard class. 
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

I've played 2 beta weekends and the game is fun (for me).

Combat is engaging (the best I've played in a MMO so far) and the scenery is not far behind GW2. However, character creator and models are between bad and suck. Hopefully they will polish them by launch.

• TheHiveLeaderTheHiveLeader Video MaestroMember RarePosts: 234
    I played in the beta last weekend.  Neverwinter has a lot of good points, but is not super "faithful" to D&D.  It has the setting right, but since it is an ACTION MMO, it does not play like D&D.   But you can't really expect it to.  I will say that the game is a ton of fun to play and you'll get addicted rather quickly.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNDgBiKmsF4
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by DJMantiss

Unless they release more video options upon release then the graphics are nothing to wriet home about. They aren't Skyrim quality, plain and simple. What the game does well is it does incorporate actual atmosphere, gloom, fog, dungeons with little secret doors and hidden passages, etc. 

I personally feel its a game for a younger audience, which isn't a bad thing, but something I see in the art design and overall feel. It's almost like playing the D&D Cartoon. Yeah I'm old enough to remember the D&D cartoon, but it does it well. If you can handle playing something slightly cartoony, but fast paced with friends, you'll enjoy it.

PS - What do the stars under my name refer to? I feel like my current rating is that of a bad B movie. 

My main focus is on a games combat system these days, then graphics and lore (such as such tends to be).

The stars are a measure of your activity level, over time.  [mod edit]

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
    Originally posted by Berrian
    A friend 5 houses down the road had a chance to play this in beta. Over a 12pack of bud black crown last night, he said "It feels like a dumbed down, retard version of a game that barely hints at anything D&D like". I am conflicted, I would like to try the game but damn, I am not hearing anything good about it.

Try reviews from sober friends?

I'm in the mindset of I try something for myself. Rarely do I rely on the beer infused commentary of a good friend. <smirk>

• ABRaquelABRaquel Member UncommonPosts: 541
    I wonder if you can leave Neverwinter and visit other cities or is it just Neverwinter for now and more stuff in the future?
    Originally posted by ABRaquel
    I wonder if you can leave Neverwinter and visit other cities or is it just Neverwinter for now and more stuff in the future?

I'm not certain of the exact range. Obviously they've shown scenes of the wilderness, snowy mountainous areas and more. How far that extends outside of Neverwinter is still unknown. 

• staranstaran Member UncommonPosts: 87
    Doesn't matter. After release there will be a dribble of repeatable content with queues ala cryptic.
    Oh and lookout for Lockboxes.
    Pass
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

did you play beta? there's more video options than most games out even more so than the top looking MMOs. But more video options isn't going to make the game look better. Overall the game looks decent enough the real downside is the character models imho some look really really bad(especially the females) while others aren't to bad.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• staranstaran Member UncommonPosts: 87
    The only thing that bothers me about the character models is the two finger salute of the control wizard and the stupid swoosh following the arm/weapon whenever someone swings.

The environment is good . The quests are very very good.

The currencies are extremely difficult to understand. Why so many?

Nothing to do later on in the game other than queue up for repeatable content.

Control wizard is broken but they said they will fix it.
  • SafoSafo Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

did you play beta? there's more video options than most games out even more so than the top looking MMOs. But more video options isn't going to make the game look better. Overall the good looks decent enough the real downside is the character models imho some look really really bad(especially the females) while others aren't to bad.

This times a thousand.   Man, those character models needs some serious serious help... especially the faces. Egawd.

I think the world it self looks fine and is very solid.. why couldn't they put the same effort in to the characters... they remind me of models from Doom 1 or something.

Originally posted by Aerowyn

did you play beta? there's more video options than most games out even more so than the top looking MMOs. But more video options isn't going to make the game look better. Overall the game looks decent enough the real downside is the character models imho some look really really bad(especially the females) while others aren't to bad.

Ive been in all the betas so I've seen the various graphics improve here and there. Seems like a stupid question if you read my post history but whatever.

The game has the standard "cryptic" options, but what it lacks and this is key is the ability to render character models at a higher level and to select how many high-quality character models you want on your screen. Without those you'll continue to see the same rather low quality characters. Which do not fit in well with the overall environment and especially the worl detail. 

There is a lot to improve upon, but I really hope they open up those options to those of us with faster systems that can handle a bunch, if not all, characters being maxed out in quality.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I'm leary of trailers.  Too many times do they look great, and the game breaks down because of mechanics.  Hopefully lthis is one where the mechanics do the trailer justice.

I self identify as a monkey.

Originally posted by mgilbrtsn
    I'm leary of trailers.  Too many times do they look great, and the game breaks down because of mechanics.  Hopefully lthis is one where the mechanics do the trailer justice.

Haha as you should be! There are a few games with trailers out there right now where the betas are anything but what they showcase.

I will say that so far everything you see in the Neverwinter Trailers is exactly what you get. Nothing is rendered differently, all cut-scenes or showcasing something that blatantly doesn't exist in game.