Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The ONE thing I don't want to see from DAOC......

naezgulnaezgul Member Posts: 374
Underwater swimming/combat

Comments

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

I don't want to see instances. Or 9 second stuns that last long enough to get a heavy tank killed before his purge even goes off... It would be nice if you could attune armor to be more magic resistant than melee resistant. It would have to be distinctive, so that plate clad tanks would go after the tanks in weaker magic resistant armor, and casters would be able to see if their target is decked out with resists.

But I just want an OPTION for tanks to have SOME HOPE against casters, unlike they did in DAoC.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by naezgul

Amen to that. That was my least favorite change made in NF. It might even be interesting to go completely in the opposite direction and make it impossible to cross rivers except at bridges. Think of the possibilities of using knock backs to throw an enemy into a river to his death or lead a careless melee assist train off the edge to their deaths.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• jplusplusjplusplus Member Posts: 19
    Originally posted by meddyck

Amen to that. That was my least favorite change made in NF. It might even be interesting to go completely in the opposite direction and make it impossible to cross rivers except at bridges. Think of the possibilities of using knock backs to throw an enemy into a river to his death or lead a careless melee assist train off the edge to their deaths.

I like this idea. But being flung into a river and dying doesn't sound like fun gameplay. How about if wading through a river or stream placed a significant speed debuff on the enemy, and also pulled them in the direction of the flow? This would lead to an extremely effective CC strategy, without annoying insta-death. It would also create natural chokepoints for supply lines (if they exist).

• gitskigitski Member Posts: 6
    I dont wanna see Mr Jacobs cashing in with paid for horrible game breaking updates like he did in DOAC.
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by jplusplus

I like this idea. But being flung into a river and dying doesn't sound like fun gameplay. How about if wading through a river or stream placed a significant speed debuff on the enemy, and also pulled them in the direction of the flow? This would lead to an extremely effective CC strategy, without annoying insta-death. It would also create natural chokepoints for supply lines (if they exist).

Yeah that does make more sense.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• Niix_OzekNiix_Ozek Member Posts: 397
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

I don't want to see instances. Or 9 second stuns that last long enough to get a heavy tank killed before his purge even goes off... It would be nice if you could attune armor to be more magic resistant than melee resistant. It would have to be distinctive, so that plate clad tanks would go after the tanks in weaker magic resistant armor, and casters would be able to see if their target is decked out with resists.

But I just want an OPTION for tanks to have SOME HOPE against casters, unlike they did in DAoC.

This makes no sense ... If you have purge and can't get it off over a 9 second stun you have more problems than game mechanics.

Tanks always had hope against casters in daoc lol, you had high Hit point, before casting speed % increase a tank could catch a caster easy and with stuns / snares / interuptable spells deal with them handedly.

Ozek - DAOC
    Niix - Other games that sucked

Yeah that does make more sense.

Or how about make it like daoc before ToA and water speed buffs, where you just simply travelled slow through water. Solves everything, because people now avoid water. Maybe also make you drown fast so it limits people hiding under water.

Ozek - DAOC

• BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472

Can also refer to this thread : http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/926/view/forums/thread/378706/NowThings-from-DAoC-you-DONT-want-to-see-in-CU.html

basically exact same title where a lot of points have mentionned.

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR

Originally posted by Niix_Ozek

Or how about make it like daoc before ToA and water speed buffs, where you just simply travelled slow through water. Solves everything, because people now avoid water. Maybe also make you drown fast so it limits people hiding under water.

Yes, that's essentially what I'm suggesting. I like the idea of being unable to hold your breath forever as well. I definitely think that travel through water should somehow be heavily discouraged (unless it's by boat of course!).

• TumblebutzTumblebutz Member UncommonPosts: 322

^^^You beat me to it.  This is exactly what I was thinking.  Great idea.

Couple this with differing terrain types (open fields, dense forest, swamp, rocky, etc.) with inheirant speed buff/debuffs and you have a really dynamic environment.  THEN add a class who can more easily navigate said terrains (perhaps an immunity to terrain based speed debuffs) and you have a Scout class(?) with little or no need for permastealth.

Oh, and NO BUFFBOTS!

Emeryc Eightdrakes - Ranger of DragonMyst Keep - Percival

RED IS DEAD!

Originally posted by Tumblebutz

^^^You beat me to it.  This is exactly what I was thinking.  Great idea.

Couple this with differing terrain types (open fields, dense forest, swamp, rocky, etc.) with inheirant speed buff/debuffs and you have a really dynamic environment.  THEN add a class who can more easily navigate said terrains (perhaps an immunity to terrain based speed debuffs) and you have a Scout class(?) with little or no need for permastealth.

Oh, and NO BUFFBOTS!

Yes! That type of dynamic environment could add so much to a game. Of course, it's probably a fine line between "strategic" and "annoying". But I have faith that Mark can do this justice, should he choose to.

• DeanMalincoDeanMalinco Member Posts: 26

wat? tanks were an amazing option DAoC. CC resist RA's and purge....blanket mez lasts like 1 second on a tank.

Agree with others in this thread though. do not remove the water combat, but make it discouraged to fight in or travel through without a boat. It would also be cool to have water surrounding high impact areas of interest. For example, to kill a keep deep in enemey territory the most traveled path would be on the road or through the near by forrest. But if zerg wanted to risk it, they could come in from the completely opposite side in the water. this would be very risky because of the speed debuff, but potentially worth the risk to engage from a flank undetected. 

This makes no sense ... If you have purge and can't get it off over a 9 second stun you have more problems than game mechanics.

Tanks always had hope against casters in daoc lol, you had high Hit point, before casting speed % increase a tank could catch a caster easy and with stuns / snares / interuptable spells deal with them handedly.

You seem confused. Either that or you didn't play after ToA.

ToA inflated casters ability to do damage far beyond what they should have been. It also made them beefier and harder to kill once in melee.

Purge I takes about 2-3 seconds to actually go off. After ToA, casters (looking at you enchanters) were so overpowered that they could drop a heavy tank in those 3 seconds. An armsman, with buffs and high hit points went from full health to dead, before purge could go off.

They fixed this, in a sloppy way, about 3-4 years after the fact.

And I'll add another thing I never want to see. /level 20. It did more damage to the game than almost any other feature.

ToA inflated casters ability to do damage far beyond what they should have been. It also made them beefier and harder to kill once in melee.

Purge I takes about 2-3 seconds to actually go off. After ToA, casters (looking at you enchanters) were so overpowered that they could drop a heavy tank in those 3 seconds. An armsman, with buffs and high hit points went from full health to dead, before purge could go off.

And I'll add another thing I never want to see. /level 20. It did more damage to the game than almost any other feature.

I played after ToA, but pretty sure 95% of the people that want CU are ones that loathed the TOA expansion so should disregard a lot of content after that mistake of an expansion.

Purge took 5 seconds to go off, and if you used it on a 9 sec stun, maybe that was a mistake? Not to mention caster stuns lasted half a second on tanks, and like i said Toa and %cast speed 25% and dmg/etc 10% was a real problem that made casters >> tanks, but tanks/ melee still played major roles and 1 on 1 could take out a caster easy.

Shouldn't talk about aspects of the game that were already broken because of ToA, everyone agrees is was a bad expnasion that really ruined the game.

PS you should prob have got purge 2... and purge 1 took 5 seconds to go off.

This is all nor hear nor there, 9 seconds was a long ass melee stun that to avoid people whining should lower max stuns to 5 seconds, but it also encourages people stragically thinking about positioning as to not get caught in a 9 second stun.

I think tanks anytime 9sec stun ( slam ) was what made them so amazing in pvp, and it was because the stun was 9 seconds. Interuptable spells handles a lot of these issues, as it should be your teams responsibility to not let casters start pbaoeing your tank after getting caught in a 9sec stun.

You could also spend your realm points to increase magic resistance. Also its a rock paper scissors game there will always be situations similar to your complaint, just have to work as a team to counter it.

Ozek - DAOC

• naezgulnaezgul Member Posts: 374

No going underwater period.  And treading water should present lots of problems....

they need to make water areas narrow so someone going in can't sit in noman's land.....

he should be able to be ranged down rather quickly

I played after ToA, but pretty sure 95% of the people that want CU are ones that loathed the TOA expansion so should disregard a lot of content after that mistake of an expansion.

Purge took 5 seconds to go off, and if you used it on a 9 sec stun, maybe that was a mistake? Not to mention caster stuns lasted half a second on tanks, and like i said Toa and %cast speed 25% and dmg/etc 10% was a real problem that made casters >> tanks, but tanks/ melee still played major roles and 1 on 1 could take out a caster easy.

Shouldn't talk about aspects of the game that were already broken because of ToA, everyone agrees is was a bad expnasion that really ruined the game.

This is all nor hear nor there, 9 seconds was a long ass melee stun that to avoid people whining should lower max stuns to 5 seconds, but it also encourages people stragically thinking about positioning as to not get caught in a 9 second stun.

I think tanks anytime 9sec stun ( slam ) was what made them so amazing in pvp, and it was because the stun was 9 seconds. Interuptable spells handles a lot of these issues, as it should be your teams responsibility to not let casters start pbaoeing your tank after getting caught in a 9sec stun.

You could also spend your realm points to increase magic resistance. Also its a rock paper scissors game there will always be situations similar to your complaint, just have to work as a team to counter it.

I don't know where you're getting the "stuns last 1 second on tanks" because that wasn't the case when I played (stopped around 2006).

The 9 second stun that tanks could do with shield bash had drawbacks. The most obvious is, you had to get in melee range, which was a huge challenge due to the massive amounts of CC that could get thrown in your way. And it only takes one stun, as I said, to kill a tank if you were a DD class. The second is, you had to put precious spec points into shield, which meant you were gimped against other tanks more often than not, who specced in two handed weapons.

Whereas a caster 9 second stun had a huge range, and required little to no skill to get off. Even if you snuck up on a caster in melee range, they'd have a blade turn that would block your first hit, then they could quick cast their 9 second stun. And 90% of the time they wouldn't use those moments to run, they'd just stand there in melee range, and blow you away with nukes, knowing they'd kill you before purge even had a chance to go off. Usually.

Without a proper group to support you, Armsmen had a DISMAL experience in RvR. The problem was, not many people ever wanted Armsmen in their groups.

I don't know where you're getting the "stuns last 1 second on tanks" because that wasn't the case when I played (stopped around 2006).

The 9 second stun that tanks could do with shield bash had drawbacks. The most obvious is, you had to get in melee range, which was a huge challenge due to the massive amounts of CC that could get thrown in your way. And it only takes one stun, as I said, to kill a tank if you were a DD class. The second is, you had to put precious spec points into shield, which meant you were gimped against other tanks more often than not, who specced in two handed weapons.

Whereas a caster 9 second stun had a huge range, and required little to no skill to get off. Even if you snuck up on a caster in melee range, they'd have a blade turn that would block your first hit, then they could quick cast their 9 second stun. And 90% of the time they wouldn't use those moments to run, they'd just stand there in melee range, and blow you away with nukes, knowing they'd kill you before purge even had a chance to go off. Usually.

Without a proper group to support you, Armsmen had a DISMAL experience in RvR. The problem was, not many people ever wanted Armsmen in their groups.

With determination caster stuns didn't even make tanks flinch... Only melee stuns were dangerous as they wern't affected by det.

No tank was gimped having to spec in shield, if you think so you clearly didn't spec your character properly. Every tank class could spec 42 shield 50 2hand weapon, and enough 1 hand weapon dmg to gain snare utility and sufficient damage.

You clearly never played a class with determination which was prob a failure in your part to spend your RA properly. Was the best Realm Ability possible to get as a light /heavy melee.

I dunno what groups you faced, but before caster extend groups took over after ToA and all the caster bonuses, 90% of groups i faced had at least 1 armsmen. If groups didn't use them, it was their lack of understanding of the class or no ones ability to play it properly ...

Ozek - DAOC

• TuktzTuktz Member Posts: 299
    Instances - PVE or PVP - pretty much at all.

MMO history - EVE GW2 SWTOR RIFT WAR COH/V EQ2 WOW DAOC
    Tuktz - http://www.heretic.shivtr.com/

• shaodrinshaodrin Member UncommonPosts: 30

the mathematics 9sec stun against det5 stoi 50% main resi tank= 9*0,5=4,5*0,3(det+stoi)=1,35sec ...

so your stun lasted 1,4 sec(daoc rounded to full 0,x) tell me a single caster who was able to kill a 2500 hp tank with full resis in 1,4 sec's ? a normal 2,8 sec cast needed like 1,2 sec with 10% cast speed and 375dex breakingpoint so you were able to cast at the tank standing infront of you 1 time ... i realy want to see that crit makeing a 350 dmg nuke(and for your enchanter nuking with a baseline nuke even less if its without a debuff) to a 2500+ nuke

daoc was balanced for group play and it was pretty well balanced most of the time and yeah melees needed some backup with rupts to get to a caster but when they hit that caster he dropped realy fast without heals

realy dont blame a system for your faults ... and since you told us that you needed 2-3 secs to purge(pressing a single button) well u know what i mean

• OdamanOdaman Member UncommonPosts: 195

You could also pre purge if you knew a stun was coming (and usually you did) from a melee which as previously stated were the only stuns non hybrid melee had to worry about. 

Anyway... for me it'd have to be buffbots, but since those are already out I  can agree that the underwater combat of daoc was not the most fun.... I still remember doing bomb groups and pulling the zerg to the edge of the water and watching them instantly die when they dove down ;) I know they changed it later, but it was broken for a long time.

• kaltahnkaltahn Member Posts: 31
    Bladeturn, or any variant of it, should be eliminated.
  • grimjakkgrimjakk Member Posts: 192

Which a LOT of people pointed out at the time.  Those who weren't busy flooding the battlegrounds and Darkness Falls with their new flavor-of-the-week alts.

• KinchyleKinchyle Member Posts: 309

Have fun with that. The more ways to play, the better. Except for you.

With determination caster stuns didn't even make tanks flinch... Only melee stuns were dangerous as they wern't affected by det.

No tank was gimped having to spec in shield, if you think so you clearly didn't spec your character properly. Every tank class could spec 42 shield 50 2hand weapon, and enough 1 hand weapon dmg to gain snare utility and sufficient damage.

You clearly never played a class with determination which was prob a failure in your part to spend your RA properly. Was the best Realm Ability possible to get as a light /heavy melee.

I dunno what groups you faced, but before caster extend groups took over after ToA and all the caster bonuses, 90% of groups i faced had at least 1 armsmen. If groups didn't use them, it was their lack of understanding of the class or no ones ability to play it properly ...

Wow, you're thick. I'm talking about after ToA. The entire time I've been talking about after ToA. And how was one supposed to be able to get det 5 and purge 3, when they couldn't survive more than a second in RvR to begin with? Due to all the problems I listed. And no, that hybrid build was incredibly difficult for armsmen, and albion tanks in general, to pull off.

Originally posted by shaodrin

the mathematics 9sec stun against det5 stoi 50% main resi tank= 9*0,5=4,5*0,3(det+stoi)=1,35sec ...

so your stun lasted 1,4 sec(daoc rounded to full 0,x) tell me a single caster who was able to kill a 2500 hp tank with full resis in 1,4 sec's ? a normal 2,8 sec cast needed like 1,2 sec with 10% cast speed and 375dex breakingpoint so you were able to cast at the tank standing infront of you 1 time ... i realy want to see that crit makeing a 350 dmg nuke(and for your enchanter nuking with a baseline nuke even less if its without a debuff) to a 2500+ nuke

daoc was balanced for group play and it was pretty well balanced most of the time and yeah melees needed some backup with rupts to get to a caster but when they hit that caster he dropped realy fast without heals

realy dont blame a system for your faults ... and since you told us that you needed 2-3 secs to purge(pressing a single button) well u know what i mean

Is this an alt account of the same guy, or just a troll? You can't say "Well stuns only last 1 second!" and then come back with "well,if you have all this hard to get stuff they last 1 second!" And purge has a built in 3 second delay, unless you get purge 3, which is again,difficult when you aren't able to kill anything. ToA changed the game and made casters gods.

Don't make idiotic assumptions when it is pretty clear you never played the game, much less the class.