Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If WS goes F2P will you still play it?

IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

I know that there has been no real mention yet as to the kind of pay model they will use. It is prob a safe bet that they prob will not use P2P which is a shame since I personaly feel this is the best deal for REAL MMO games. With this being said I hope if they do not use P2P then I hope they use B2P which would be acceptable. After All this has work out real well for GW and GW2 and I beliave SW  has found that B2P has worked out well for it.

Now here is the deal if  WS goes F2P I prob will not be playing it since I can not see that WS will indeed lose some of its flare some of its dazzle some of its humor. I feel that WS will become a P2W or a W vs W MMO with a cash shop. Now dont get me wrong if they do have a cash shop for cosmetics np or for mounts or pets or anything but better armor and weapons it will OK then at least we have the chance to say if we want to buy or not and not have it effect the outcome of endgame.

So pls if by some off chance any of the DEVS do acualy have found this thread pls pls dont make WS F2P.

Comments

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878

Got lost about half way through there... it would really depend how they do it. The only two free / buy to play games I really like are Path of Exile and The Secret World.. everything else I've tried seems like it tries to screw you in one way or another, even GW2 (I have to pay how much for a decent sized bank!?!?)

Anyway, I really hope they go with P2P and make it like $10 per month, with no cash shop. Yeah, I know, I can dream.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

There are enough ppl out there to make a p2p game viable. The problem is they wont pay for a game that's still got months of beta testing to do...after it launches.

Even games like swtor with all it's budget and time in development still ended up launching with no real working end game and so many bugs in instances many of them where more about luck and not getting the boss glitched than they were about the actual machanics of defeating him.

If they're set on p2p they better be prepared to launch a game that doesn't have a wall of post-its that say " things to fix later " on them.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

When I first heard of WS, I was really interested in it. But by now it looks more and more like an other themepark-clone that's catering for the easy generation. I mean, red areas on the ground when NPCs use skill and such, REALLY? I'd rather play a more 'hardcore' game instead of something that makes things so obvious for players. Only reason I would play it as F2P is for the humor used, but by now that's really the only reason...

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by Reizla

When I first heard of WS, I was really interested in it. But by now it looks more and more like an other themepark-clone that's catering for the easy generation. I mean, red areas on the ground when NPCs use skill and such, REALLY? I'd rather play a more 'hardcore' game instead of something that makes things so obvious for players. Only reason I would play it as F2P is for the humor used, but by now that's really the only reason...

Actually those things are pretty fun in my opinion - the secret world uses them a lot and too and think its a great addition and makes battles more fun

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

If I recall right, then they said it will be f2p on Gamescom 2011.

Isn't it hosted by NCSoft anyway? They went f2p on all of their games, didn't they?

Harbinger of Fools
  • IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by Dakeru

If I recall right, then they said it will be f2p on Gamescom 2011.

Isn't it hosted by NCSoft anyway? They went f2p on all of their games, didn't they?

They are behind GW and GW2 which is B2P which im hoping they go that way with WS.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    I'm more likely to play it if it is F2P than if it is P2P. B2P would work fine for me too. Wildstar looks like a game I would really enjoy for a month or two then would get bored just like SWTOR, GW 2, and most other PvE centric MMOs. I still might buy it if it is P2P but only to play for the free month and maybe one more then put it aside until the inevitable F2P mode is added within a year of release. I definitely can't see this being the one game that thrives as P2P while all the other recent P2P games have struggled and then ultimately added free options. They should just face the reality of how the industry works today and make it B2P from day 1.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065
    Actually, if it's F2P I'd say it'd be guaranteed that I'd play it, even if it was just to test it around a little bit, while if it's B2P I'd most likely wait for reviews and word of mouth first, and if it's P2P I'd most likely skip it unless word of mought and reviews say it is VERY good after release or if friends are playing it. 

What can men do against such reckless hate?

You know sadly you are right. The more I find out about WS and about NCSOFT for that matter the more turn off I am about this MMO.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

This discussion is interesting because they've said absolutely nothing about payment model. Allow me to offer a couple things:

I predict this will be a sub game and I'll spell out why:

#1. Cash shops that only sell cosmetic items cannot support a AAA MMO. They all have some kind of boosts or allow for buying in-game gold. This is no issue with single-faction mmo's where there is no open pvp or end-game raiding. This is problematic when you have a two-faction mmo. You cannot sell boosts in a two-faction MMO with PvP open-world rulesets without it being instantly pay to win.

#2. Weapon and armor skins sold in the cash shop cannot look better than progression raiding gear. If at level two you can pay money to look more epic than a guy that's raided 40 mans - that would never fly.

Without boosts or cosmetic gear that looks better than raiding gear - they won't sell enough crap to support the game.

Somebody name a AAA two-faction (with open world pvp), endgame 'progression' (20-40 man) that has successfully gone B2P or F2P w/ Cash shop without selling boosts or in-game gold?

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Originally posted by Isturi

You know sadly you are right. The more I find out about WS and about NCSOFT for that matter the more turn off I am about this MMO.

Yes, 40-man end-game raiding and PvP gear only accessible with a high enough Elo rating - easy mode, right? Oh, speaking of telegraphing, show me an MMO where the mob doesn't give the player any indication of what they are going to do next.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

Originally posted by Roxtarr
    Originally posted by Isturi

Yes, 40-man end-game raiding and PvP gear only accessible with a high enough Elo rating - easy mode, right? Oh, speaking of telegraphing, show me an MMO where the mob doesn't give the player any indication of what they are going to do next.

The only reason why I will not play is because if it goes F2P or W vs W otherwise I will at least give WS a couple of month just to see if it can be my next MMO home. The thought of a 40 man raid does have my attention. Reminds me of when Hogger was the original 40 man lvl what was it lvl 10 raid for WoW lol and the telegraphing should be intreasting. I wonder if people will find use for Vent or TS or mumble?

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

I know I won't pay a sub for it, and I highly doubt I'll get it if it's B2P. I'll wait for reviews and free trials before making the mistake of riding the hype-train, as happened with GW2.

If it goes F2P? Yeah, then there's no harm in trying it out.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• tintilinictintilinic Member Posts: 283
    Ill try it. Play it? Hell, the game needs much more than be free to play it (hint *tera* hint)
  • BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

F2P is probably the only thing that would make me play.

• cybersrscybersrs Member UncommonPosts: 181
    The game looks fun to play. I just do not know why in 2013 they still make crap graphics games.
  • HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

absolutely love to read about WS, and watch their feature/race announcements, I ll most likely try it out, but really they have tried to create a MMO that play like a cartoon - judging from their last gameplay video, and felt meself force smiles at what happend.

think I may just have grown too grey for this game in the end....also the art style by itself doesnt do anything good for me, but not something I d ever judge a game out on.

who know maybe Id like it better if actually playing.

payment model is the last of my concerns ; )  though hope they go with the B2P with no cash shop : P

• StrommStromm Member Posts: 243

I will play it if it's fun and engaging, regardless of the pay model.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    From what I have heard, it will go f2p.
  • TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Whether it is F2P or P2P - i'll be giving it a shot either way.  League of Legends, Tribes Ascend, and Path of Exiles taunt me that F2P doesn't necessarily mean the game is bad.

Additionally, if it IS F2P and I end up enjoying it, I will throw down money to support Carbine.  One of my biggest pet peeves is when people constantly use a free to use service, and one that they enjoy using,  but never help the company buy donating money or using one of their optional purchase methods.  That company still needs money to operate.  Stop being a cheapskate!!

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Feeling it is going to be b2p with vanity shop like gw2.
  • just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by acidblood

Got lost about half way through there... it would really depend how they do it. The only two free / buy to play games I really like are Path of Exile and The Secret World.. everything else I've tried seems like it tries to screw you in one way or another, even GW2 (I have to pay how much for a decent sized bank!?!?)

Anyway, I really hope they go with P2P and make it like $10 per month, with no cash shop. Yeah, I know, I can dream.

This is a bit off topic, but I never understood the need for a bigger bank. They give you a bazillion specialized slots for all your harvestables....I never found the need for more. A lot of people never realized there was a harvest bank that you had. It's not something you just notice when you open your bank, but it's there, and it holds every gem, food item, or whatever that you need to craft, so....no more space necessary for me.

On the topic of rip offs in free to play, GW2 seemed the least "rip offy" to me.

I forgot to answer....yes, I will play WildStar if it's free to play, but I'd probably want to play it either way, so....meh.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    I think I'm done with MMORPGs altogether if FFXIV: A Realm Reborn doesn't meet my expectations.  I'm not really interested in any other MMOs, whether they're P2P, B2P or F2P.
  • JeardawgJeardawg Member UncommonPosts: 31
    It looks cool,  and if it is P2P  or Even B2P I will likely play it,  but no way will I play it if it is F2P.   The purchase / Sub price is one of the most effective tools for keeping out asshats and freeloaders.  Also potential asshats often tame down the nonsense when faced with the banning of an account they paid for.