Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Media] Guild Wars 2: "Volunteer"

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In our second MMORPG.Comic, we take a look at consumable karma as found in Guild Wars 2. Check it out and let us know what you think.

Check out MMORPG.Comic!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• pantheronpantheron Member UncommonPosts: 256
    that ones actually pretty funny. much moreso than the last one. 

I play MMOs for the Forum PVP

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716
    lol thats about how it works in the living story.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• JooknowJooknow Member Posts: 18
    Better than the last, but still, you ruin the comic by explaining it at the end.  If people cannot figure the comic out on their own, the comic is not well done.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    It's not about explaining anything, it's about a supplemental editorial comment.  Think Penny-Arcade, with less words. :P

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    I was glad for the explantion as I sure did not get it, not everybody play guild wars. 
  • Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

I think it sheds some lihgt into the muddy argument about "immersion".

*golf clap*

• ichihaifuichihaifu Member UncommonPosts: 280
    My thoughts exactly when I got this painting ages ago.
  • rwhodrwhod Member Posts: 18
    Lol, he should have eaten a karma booster first.
  • grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by erictlewis
    I was glad for the explantion as I sure did not get it, not everybody play guild wars. 

The funny thing is that based on the artwork, I was sure it was about Everquest. 

http://mmohuts.com/free-trials/everquest

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    I didn't get it... but I do believe, if you have to explain it, it probably isn't all that funny.
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Samhael
    I didn't get it... but I do believe, if you have to explain it, it probably isn't all that funny.

he did a "Quest"

and in GW2 the reward are given ether instantly or in the mail (Which is why he got a letter in the comic).

He ate the letter after reading it and gained Karma points (a currency in GW2)

Which I assume the concept of the comic is to connect the dots between "Immersion" and "Gameplay"

showing how its kind of immersion breaking if applied to a realistic understanding.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• sirquipsirquip Member UncommonPosts: 2
    It isn't the letter as such that is immersion breaking. You help out, you get a letter of thanks, and your Karma increases. But what about Karma pots I hear you cry. Well it is all about encouraging players to have multi alts, but that does not really excuse the immersion break. Perhaps Karma should have been an account wide currency like the laurels or gems, removing the need for these strange consumables
  • Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Gj, Klaric :) (You got the same last name as my cousin)

Anyway, this is the 2.nd edition mmorpg comic. Where I can see the first one?

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    I agree, do not explain the comic.  Just chuckle and move on.
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    hahah..this is prettyy funny. keep up the good work.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• Scripture1Scripture1 Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    Originally posted by Samhael

he did a "Quest"

and in GW2 the reward are given ether instantly or in the mail (Which is why he got a letter in the comic).

He ate the letter after reading it and gained Karma points (a currency in GW2)

Which I assume the concept of the comic is to connect the dots between "Immersion" and "Gameplay"

showing how its kind of immersion breaking if applied to a realistic understanding.

Haha! and you explained it again, which confirms what he said. Which in turns makes this funny lol... At least to me.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

At first, I read it and was just confused, even though I've played through this part of the Living Story in GW2.

Then after reading Bill's summary at the end, I understood it, but it still wasn't funny. I mean, it's better than the first one, at least, but this comic needs better writing.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I like it.
  • Lam3zorLam3zor Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Hehe that was pretty good. and true, in many games you get a letter or a note that you *consume* for exp bonus or extra currency... but this has to make you think "where does the letter go once read?"

loved it