Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2: So you're LFG No Problem I Got You Covered

SilentstormSilentstorm Member UncommonPosts: 1,126

LFG Video

Lfg Site= http://gw2lfg.com/

In most games looking for a group is easy but not in this game. The system sucks and it appears Arena Net seems a little resistant to fixing it as well. Well now you can use this site with the method I'm showing you. In most cases it takes 10-30 minutes to get a valid group.

Comments

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    I've been using this for months... Easy and allows grouping with people from different servers.
  • MuntzMuntz Member UncommonPosts: 332
    This site was better when it started. People are getting a little more elitest now. I guess it was bound to happen, it's not a problem with the site. Still the best way to find a group fast. 
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    I'm in two large guilds if I can't get group on one I represent the other... So far never had issue finding group for anything

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• SilentstormSilentstorm Member UncommonPosts: 1,126
    This is mainly for the people who didn't know. Or quite frankly don't trust or believe in the site. I figured I'd do it live so people see it actually works. 
  • Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

very sorry to tell, but I think using of 3rd party web instate of easy modern LFG tool is just retarded.

I have no idea why Anet can't add it or even why some people tells it bad for game. I mean if anything seems bad for you, just stop use it, but let others embrace simplicity and not spending hours on LA chat spam or even using outside game website.

it's not against guys who made LFG web, thanks to them for all efforts and nice tool to fix what "advanced" "revolutionary" "exceptional" game can't add...

again sorry to be sarcastic, but it such easy and handy tool, that not having it makes me think of something bad and outdated.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• maddbomber83maddbomber83 Member Posts: 422
    Originally posted by Lovely_Laly

very sorry to tell, but I think using of 3rd party web instate of easy modern LFG tool is just retarded.

I have no idea why Anet can't add it or even why some people tells it bad for game. I mean if anything seems bad for you, just stop use it, but let others embrace simplicity and not spending hours on LA chat spam or even using outside game website.

it's not against guys who made LFG web, thanks to them for all efforts and nice tool to fix what "advanced" "revolutionary" "exceptional" game can't add...

again sorry to be sarcastic, but it such easy and handy tool, that not having it makes me think of something bad and outdated.

I agree, game should be about choices.

About the LFG site, I've often used it and get groups started in minutes.  I look on there quick to see if one is already going that started looking for people within like 15 minutes.  If not then I start one and it takes about 5 minutes to fill up.

Also.... I donate a quarter every time I get a group through that site.  

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Relying on your player base to fix the game is probably not the best way to do things.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

The majority like to blame WoW's LFG Tool for societal decay in MMOs, but they are mistaken, because it wasn't the tool's fault, but the cross-server functionality, which made people care less about their actions towards others, which is a stretch, since there were always people ninja-looting and being rude before it.  Even then, it's not really the cross-server funtionality's fault, because the fault ultimately lies within the community to be responsible online.

This was one of the reasons SWTOR's dev team resisted a LFG Tool, and when they finally implemented it, it was too late.  There wasn't enough players around to actually make it useful.

Now, with GW2, i fear the same thing is already happening.  A-Net has been quiet on this issue for months.  I hope they release a better tool, because the one they have is unacceptable, and akin to a pre-WoW era tool.

• SteeJanzSteeJanz Member UncommonPosts: 334

I find it funny when people act like the developr is ignorant for not having this feature or that feature.  The truth is most developers rely on the fan base to do some of their work for them.  How much bigger is Blizzard then Anet and how many of the player created addon's eventually made it into the game. 

Come on, all you WOW head's know it.  The thing you hate the most about patches, is the fact that none of your add-ons work.  There are even some who can't even play the game  until their add-ons start working.

I am sure Anet has plenty to work on and the GW2LFG site provides a means for players to group together quickly and let them focus on other more important features.  I am sure the site actually caused the tool to slide down on the list of importance as well.  Beside there is a looking for group tool in game, it is just not as robust as what people are used to. 

I have yet to see a post on these forums that said, "Dude, game A isn't really that good but I play because it has a sweet LFG tool."  As someone who play's GW2, in all honesty, because of the GW2LFG site, an ingame LFG tool is at the bottom of my list.  I would encourage them to continue to work on more important things.

Most people complaining about it are doing so because it gives them a reason to complain.  The game is rock solid and has a great core to improve on.  Anyone that works for a software company knows that that is where you want to be with a new product.  They can't sit on their butts or anything but the have a great core to start with.    I have no doubt that if we could look at any developers enhancements list, it would be 2,3 or 4 times larger than all most all player lists.   And I can pretty much guarantee almost everyone on this site would be a bit pissed if they said, "We're going to push of that culling thing, to work on a LFG tool." 

There's a difference between an addon (direct control & user experience) in game and a 3rd party website (databases, wikis, forums, etc).  I would agree with you if GW2 actually allowed 3rd party addons, but they do not, so in effect, it actually limits the experience in game.
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Site works fine, but there is a very real reason why Anet doesn't have this ingame.

LFG tools are extremely convenient, but what you give up to implement them is your sense of community. The unfortunate biproduct of implementing any LFG tool is that it starts to turn your game into a lobby game. You can look at literally any MMO with a LFG feature, and see how the majority of players just sit in town, waiting for their LFG que to pop for dungeon or battleground X. LFG tools just kill any incentive to ever leave town once you hit max lvl.

GW2 also illustrates this quite well. Before tools like the lfg site were popularized, most people would actually go to the zones to run dungeon X or Y. While waiting for groups they would often be found doing the local events, helping lower lvls complete stuff, etc. This was deliberate, and why Anet designed the dungeons the way they did.

However, as LFG gained more and more popularity, people started hanging out in lion's arch more and more often. It nearly killed some of the zones as a result. Anet recently made changes to world bosses, which fixes this issue to some degree, except there is also a boss timer site which people frequent to only show up in areas during the times a boss is supposed to spawn.

I understand the appeal, but gaming the system is such ways, while convient, creates pretty big problems when it comes to MMOs. People often complain about games feeling shallow, hallow, or having no sense of community. Tools like these go a long way to reinforcing that feeling.

• tintilinictintilinic Member Posts: 283
    Originally posted by aesperus

Site works fine, but there is a very real reason why Anet doesn't have this ingame.

LFG tools are extremely convenient, but what you give up to implement them is your sense of community. The unfortunate biproduct of implementing any LFG tool is that it starts to turn your game into a lobby game. You can look at literally any MMO with a LFG feature, and see how the majority of players just sit in town, waiting for their LFG que to pop for dungeon or battleground X. LFG tools just kill any incentive to ever leave town once you hit max lvl.

GW2 also illustrates this quite well. Before tools like the lfg site were popularized, most people would actually go to the zones to run dungeon X or Y. While waiting for groups they would often be found doing the local events, helping lower lvls complete stuff, etc. This was deliberate, and why Anet designed the dungeons the way they did.

However, as LFG gained more and more popularity, people started hanging out in lion's arch more and more often. It nearly killed some of the zones as a result. Anet recently made changes to world bosses, which fixes this issue to some degree, except there is also a boss timer site which people frequent to only show up in areas during the times a boss is supposed to spawn.

I understand the appeal, but gaming the system is such ways, while convient, creates pretty big problems when it comes to MMOs. People often complain about games feeling shallow, hallow, or having no sense of community. Tools like these go a long way to reinforcing that feeling.

/signed

convenient =/= better in all cases.

When game has healthy population its not needed (like GW2), you can get group in minutes without it already. And they said they will get LFG tool ingame but it will be more like the gw2lfg site than "dungeon finder". i approve

• lionhopperslionhoppers Member UncommonPosts: 16
    I got the game a couple of weeks ago and made it to level 30 last night. Because I'm still quite new I still don't exactly know how everything works.. so I made my way to the first dungeon when I got there, I found a handful of people standing around the entrance.. I tried to find a group for the dungeon just by asking in the chat (I don't know if there's another way?) while doing some gathering and fighting in the area around. I had a few people join my group but they just instantly left again after joining without saying anything? I'm not really sure why or if I did something wrong :< I got tired of looking after 40 minutes so I did some pvp instead.
  • KalestonKaleston Member Posts: 173

I very agree with Aesperus.

I actually got this strange feeling when I first logged in gw2 and LA's chat was full of "LF2M AC story". I remember it from early times of WoW. And yeah it feels much more natural and immersive than "sign up in some LFG tool and jsut wait for the system to find people for you". People are so upset of GW2 being not social at all... And at the same time, they ask for tools, that destroy the socializing even more...

I mean telling people I want to joing and actually talking to them is way better than just being automatically pulled together play a dungeon and leave without uttering a single word...

LFG site is somewhere in between those two I believe. You get easier way to find information about who wants a group and at the same time you need to communicate with people to get group done.

• KalestonKaleston Member Posts: 173

One more point. Saying that finding group for anything takes a little while is not actually that true. I'm trying to do all dungeons at least ones these days and it's true, AC of CoF dungeon groups are running all the time. But finding group for story SE? Or group for some more difficult explorer paths? Good luck finding them in a few minutes (it actually took me about a week to find SE story group... And I was refreshing LFG site all day at that time)... So please don't sugar coat it like that :)

Especially story dungeons should be boosted a bit in terms of loot. I don't understand why they have such a gimped loot if you want to run it second time... Considering most of the story dungeons are the same or even higher difficulty and also take longer than explore paths.

• tintilinictintilinic Member Posts: 283
    Originally posted by lionhoppers
    I got the game a couple of weeks ago and made it to level 30 last night. Because I'm still quite new I still don't exactly know how everything works.. so I made my way to the first dungeon when I got there, I found a handful of people standing around the entrance.. I tried to find a group for the dungeon just by asking in the chat (I don't know if there's another way?) while doing some gathering and fighting in the area around. I had a few people join my group but they just instantly left again after joining without saying anything? I'm not really sure why or if I did something wrong :< I got tired of looking after 40 minutes so I did some pvp instead.

There is story mode and explorable mode. At lvl 30 you can do story mode only and most people want to do explorable mode.

I've been doing this for awhile 17 years actually. It's as I said no reason to not have lfg as a system other then the developer not wanting to deal with it. The site does fine as intended it doesn't interface with the game in any way. And essentially works just as a ap would doing the samething just on pc. The people who claim it's stupid are being small sighted. The reason I'm saying that is look at the example I did. I was grinding and playing with clan people I never left Orr. When I decided hey let me try and find a group. Granted I don't have all day to stand LA or server hop trying to find a group. If you do that it will take close to a hour in most cases. If a company really wants you to do that it's bad design and you lose player base.

What the site allows you to do is essentially get to all of the player base who needs a group. While basically not interupting much your immersion into the game. Which is what is supposed to happen in the first place. People who have 2-3 hours to play a day like most adults with jobs and kids. Don't have time to spend wasting hours finding and building the group. Not to mention the variable of the dungeon. So to say using something like this is silly is plain selfish as a gamer. Not everyone has many hours to waste. And just want to get things done and gtfo of the place lol. Now with that said you can go too far with a LFG system. Look no further then LFR in wow that's going too far. It pretty much decimated what respect that game had left. And it almost singlehandely screwed the entire genre. 

Because now companies use them as a example of see that's why we won't use lfg. They could just evolve the system but nope. Blizzard ruined it for everyone failing at it. Until someone does it with great success using it correctly. You will continue to get what Anet is doing. I bet TSO will skirt and avoid this area too somehow.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    He is doing no harm, you however you blundered in with some miserable little Nasty comment, what's the point. Website is handy, Anet should admit defeat on this front and quickly knock a lfg tool up IMO.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

Originally posted by mazut
    [mod edit]

Yea you must not be in touch with the community. Like I said above don't assume because you know something. That EVERYONE knows it that is again elitest and not helping. What you are saying is assume everything and help no one. I posted it on the main forums and got mobbed with thank yous and I didn't knows. So obviously people (didn't) know. As to take it a step further in a recent interview Arena Net said it was taking steps to help people group easier. Meaning that a problem exists in the first place. I also never said anything about it being my creation or saying it's my method. It's called helping that is what sponsored you tuber supposed to do.

I throw it back at you don't come in here uninformed about your own community. Because you just owned yourself with lack of research.

• MadamefateMadamefate Member Posts: 171
    Don't waste your time with noob elitest Storm. When guys have something negative to say about positive posts. They automatically stamp themselves a troll idiot. Like Bladestorm said what is his point beyond being a hater or jealous.
    Originally posted by aesperus

Waypoints invalidate your argument.  They are purposely implemented for convenience.  The "sense of community" is never there, when you can just waypoint everywhere.  This "sense of community" that people always bring up is an illusion.  It never existed, unless you want to say that text through chat is a sense of community.  If anything, keeping people in major hubs is actually a real community interacting with each other (Trade Post, Crafting Stations, Bank, etc).

I believe you're confusing "community socialization" with cooperation in the world zones.  A-Net has delivered on this really well.  I just don't see how convenience is a valid argument against a LFG tool, when this game is extreme with convenience already. /shrug

Originally posted by mazut
    [mod edit]

Relax.  He's just showing the usefulness of the website.  Nowhere did he claim it was his website or idea.  Stop getting upset over someone who's trying to help the community. 

Thanks guys (mod) as well.
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    It is a good effort but i will wait for something official by Anet.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Silentstorm
    Thanks guys (mod) as well.

Thanks as always Silentstorm ...I appreciate the info you pass on at this site