Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Cryptic/PW?

Athena_StarfireAthena_Starfire Member UncommonPosts: 213

I got to see the game when a mate of mine forked over the US$60 for the beta. Now he wishes he had saved the money and just did it for free whenever. My main issue is the pee-poor hotkey bar. I had enough of that kind of rubbish in Diablo 3. What inticed PW/Cryptic to use that? ChampsOnline, PW, Star Trek Online all have full multiple hotkey bars. Why should NW be any different. Surfice it to say, I am also glad I haven't paid, I will wait till the cost is a download to try it out.

---

Comments

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by Athena_Starfire

I got to see the game when a mate of mine forked over the US$60 for the beta. Now he wishes he had saved the money and just did it for free whenever. My main issue is the pee-poor hotkey bar. I had enough of that kind of rubbish in Diablo 3. What inticed PW/Cryptic to use that? ChampsOnline, PW, Star Trek Online all have full multiple hotkey bars. Why should NW be any different. Surfice it to say, I am also glad I haven't paid, I will wait till the cost is a download to try it out.

---

I think they wanted to use it to set them apart from other games, and admittedly, I don't think it is working out as well as they had hoped.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    I'm sure for just $10 more you can buy a real UI set up from the cash shop.
  • Athena_StarfireAthena_Starfire Member UncommonPosts: 213
    Originally posted by DamonVile

We can only hope, but I doubt it...

(if that was sarcastic, it was FAIL!, I use the cash shop a lot, better than paying a sub for the same old crap)

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

(if that was sarcastic, it was FAIL!, I use the cash shop a lot, better than paying a sub for the same old crap)

It was and if you think them giving you a garbage UI just so they can sell you a better one is a positive thing, you're exactly the type of person these games are looking for. I'm sure when they start adding bug fixes to the cash shops you'll enjoy that new feature as well.

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

It's become pretty standard as a design choice for some mmo's that you have to pick a skill set with a number of skills of your choice between 3 and 7 and play with that to add variety to builds and so not all characters are clones of each other. Diablo 3 did it, Guild Wars 2 did it, and many before them.

Free hotkey games become less and less as time passes. For now I'm not sure I'm in favor or against it, it depends if the game is good or not by itself.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

It was and if you think them giving you a garbage UI just so they can sell you a better one is a positive thing, you're exactly the type of person these games are looking for. I'm sure when they start adding bug fixes to the cash shops you'll enjoy that new feature as well.

Not every game shafts people like SWTOR but what can I expect really from P2P jocks.

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 250

You can assign hotkeys to any key you want, even macros.

however, if you are talking about mouse-look, it is probably because devs wanted to ensure this was action combat and mouse-hybrid look choices do not give anyone undue advantage in PvP.

Otherwise purpose behind disabling tab targetting would be defeated.

• HironHiron Member UncommonPosts: 49
    I cant remap it to some of the side buttons on my mouse. A friend has the same problem. We have different mice but both from logitech.
  • AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    The engine was designed for consoles, specifically X-box. Those dreams came to a crashing halt when M$ pulled the plug and the Marvel MMO project came to a abrupt halt. So what you're experiencing is a crap engine with poor UI design never meant for PC.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Anyone can who took only one semester of economics 101 can tell you that such a business model would be so counterintuitive, that anyone who comes up with it deserves to be not payed attention.

Originally posted by AG-Vuk
    The engine was designed for consoles, specifically X-box. Those dreams came to a crashing halt when M$ pulled the plug and the Marvel MMO project came to a abrupt halt. So what you're experiencing is a crap engine with poor UI design never meant for PC.

Says the person who knows nothing about programming and game design.  I have looked at numerous sites, and almost everyone is singing the praises (or at least can find more good than bad) of Neverwinter, and just about everyone who is not doing so has a history of hating on Cryptic (and doing so without giving any good reasons).  Just ask ChaosD1 what he thinks about the game.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    I think this game had potential, but Cryptic chose the way of the shallow themepark, and so this game is dead to me now. C'mon guys, give me some options, I want a story tree, not a story line.
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

I personally didn't have any issue with the UI.

1) Its an action oriented combat system. I will have to assume that many of you haven't played other games with action oriented combat, if you had you would expected a UI much like the one they have in place. It's basically the same UI thats hidden in most action RPG's. Even FPS games share a similar setup, just most of them hide it. 

2) The hotkeys I didn't like so I rebound them to my naga. If you don't like the current keybindings then simply change them. 

The UI they use is fairly close to the standard in more action oriented games on both PC and consoles. I'm not entirely sure I understand the issue. 

• museandalimuseandali Member UncommonPosts: 67

---

Yeah, I hate to bust your balls here, but this isn't a failing of Cryptic/PW.   4th Edition Dungeons and Dragons, which this is based on, heavily limits the amount of current powers you have.   Case in point, I have a level 5 (of 30) character in a tabletop campaign I'm in, and he currently has 2 daily powers, 2 encounter powers, 1 utility power, and one daily, while that number does continue to go up -slowly-, at certian level points, instead of taking new powers, you can upsell a lower level power for a higher level one.

TL:DR This is a "Working As Intended" issue for 4th edition D&D

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by museandali

---

Yeah, I hate to bust your balls here, but this isn't a failing of Cryptic/PW.   4th Edition Dungeons and Dragons, which this is based on, heavily limits the amount of current powers you have.   Case in point, I have a level 5 (of 30) character in a tabletop campaign I'm in, and he currently has 2 daily powers, 2 encounter powers, 1 utility power, and one daily, while that number does continue to go up -slowly-, at certian level points, instead of taking new powers, you can upsell a lower level power for a higher level one.

I just came back to edit my post to add this as 3) but you beat me to it lol. 

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by birdycephon
    I think this game had potential, but Cryptic chose the way of the shallow themepark, and so this game is dead to me now. C'mon guys, give me some options, I want a story tree, not a story line.

i got to ask what is wrong with theme park, done well they are fun, im tired of the half ass sand box games we keep getting that dousnt allow you to build, takeing away quest and telling us to go out and figure out what to do isnt all that much fun especilly when without the ability to build its kinda pointless

give me back my MMOs wih a good story to it and a actual reason to give a damn about the world im in, stop takeing away all the immersion and calling it sand box when in reality its just a excuse to do less

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    I'm sure for just $1000 more you can buy a real UI set up from a random drop in a lockbox.

fixed

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by Karahandras
    I'm sure for just $1000 more you can buy a real UI set up from a random drop in a lockbox.

fixed

dont forget all the content that you can only be effective in after opening 500 of those lock boxes just so the next release you got to open another 500 to be effective in the next content

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

Nevermind, my question was answered. :P

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

Originally posted by MadDemon64

Originally posted by DamonVile I'm sure for just $10 more you can buy a real UI set up from the cash shop. We can only hope, but I doubt it... (if that was sarcastic, it was FAIL!, I use the cash shop a lot, better than paying a sub for the same old crap)    
    Anyone can who took only one semester of economics 101 can tell you that such a business model would be so counterintuitive, that anyone who comes up with it deserves to be not payed attention.

Originally posted by AG-Vuk The engine was designed for consoles, specifically X-box. Those dreams came to a crashing halt when M$ pulled the plug and the Marvel MMO project came to a abrupt halt. So what you're experiencing is a crap engine with poor UI design never meant for PC.

Says the person who knows nothing about programming and game design.  I have looked at numerous sites, and almost everyone is singing the praises (or at least can find more good than bad) of Neverwinter, and just about everyone who is not doing so has a history of hating on Cryptic (and doing so without giving any good reasons).  Just ask ChaosD1 what he thinks about the game.

" I have looked at numerous sites, and almost everyone is singing the praises (or at least can find more good than bad) of Neverwinter, and just about everyone who is not doing so has a history of hating on Cryptic (and doing so without giving any good reasons)."

I am not sure this is entirely true. I think that, as with STO, Neverwinter receives more criticism not only from the people critical of Cryptic in general, but also from those that absolutely love the IP as well. Same thing with SWTOR and LOTRO. I was that way with STO (as you probably know :P), and my criticisms were fairly harsh mostly because I didn't like the way my favorite IP was used.

On that game, I always had a stronger opinion, but only because it was because it was a Star Trek game. I played Champions a little, but didn't care for it one way or another. Not bad, but not good. No ill opinion either way. My opinion about Cryptic was really formed from STO, of which I already had a fairly strong bias given the IP.

I believe the same thing is happening here, being it is a D&D game. You have your people skeptical of the 4th edition rule set that Neverwinter uses, and then you also have your people who say "WTF, this isn't D&D Cryptic GTFO!" types of people. Not to mention the opinions that can't agree on what D&D is actually about, as they too harp on this game or praise it. So many dynamics come into play that influence opinion for D&D that it's a stretch in my opinion to pin all the disappointed viewpoints mostly on the Cryptic haters.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that it's not just the Cryptic naysayers, but also the D&D enthusiasts also having a dog in this fight as well as opinions for this IP that range so broadly.

However, I DO recognize your point, that many people and websites are giving praise to this game. I have seen it myself, and for the most part, I can say I share their sentiments for Neverwinter.

• FiredornFiredorn Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Originally posted by museandali

THIS!

The UI argument fails as it is an implementation of 4th EdD&D.  Go cry to WotC about the skill limitations.  The implementation of them rules is how it should be.  Cryptic even claims on their site "Neverwinter is a true Dungeons & Dragons experience"...so if you (or anyone else for that matter) weren't informed, shame on you.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by birdycephon

How is being able to have countless opportunities to run though any number of dungeons a shallow endeavor?

This game will have more content then most themeparks that have been on the market for years.  Yea the Foundry is that good!

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Really? Its action combat, tons of hotbars and skills would just ruin it. I don't want to play Whack a Mole on my hotbar, theres plenty of other games for that.

• PopplePopple Member UncommonPosts: 239

WTF!!!  This is got to be the best post  for 2013 image...ROFL; Thanks mate, I really lost hope for mankind...

I retired retroactively..Haha

• cenen7cenen7 Member UncommonPosts: 55

perfect world.. hmm... unless something has changed there i will stay away.

forsaken world killed my soul

• Athena_StarfireAthena_Starfire Member UncommonPosts: 213
    Originally posted by Popple

WTF!!!  This is got to be the best post  for 2013 image...ROFL; Thanks mate, I really lost hope for mankind...

No worries, I lost hope for mankind years ago....