Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone play this and Firefall?

Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

I'm curious to know the comparisons between the two games from someone who has played them both. I currently have the closed beta for Firefall and I wasn't initially impressed but i'm warming up a bit in this most recent build. Though i've read some stuff that suggests the content is rather limited and the world is pretty small.

Seeing as Defiance is mostly PvE focused (which I didn't know until recently) is the game exploding with content?

Comments

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940
    was on alpha firefall and also alpha defiance, cant say much but they are alot alike, graphics difference, only major difference on mechanics maybe that no thumping on defiance ;p
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by m0lly
    was on alpha firefall and also alpha defiance, cant say much but they are alot alike, graphics difference, only major difference on mechanics maybe that no thumping on defiance ;p

Really? it seems like Firefall is smaller and more aimless than Defiance. Defiance looks like it has more stuff to do and more direction just based on the hour gameplay video I saw. I'll have to wait till I can try the Defiance beta and see. I'm enjoying Firefall a little more since the content updates, the tutorial is soooo much better now I actually have an idea what I am doing. And the events are fun though they don't seem to happen very often, seems like thumping is most of the PvE.

Question: Which game do you prefer? Are you going to play both?

I kind of feel like playing both might be a bit much along with the other MMOs I play. I'm trying to limit specific genres lol.

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Attempting to compare them is like comparing Call of Duty and Fallout3.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by jimdandy26

You think they are that different? I dont know, I'll see how I feel when I play Defiance. I just already have too many MMOs to play! Such a good time for MMOs, and none of them have subscriptions!

• CassSmithCassSmith Member Posts: 17

I have keys for both Defiance and Firefall and I must say, Defiance is shaping up to be really good.... that being said I once said the same thing about Firefall until a lot of the changes to healing.  I hate to say this to Red 5, were this a choice between Defiance and Firefall, go for Defiance ;)  That being said.... Firefall is meant to be f2p so it wouldn't kill you to play both :D

Not much can be said about Defiance at this time, past what media have said as the content is still under NDA.  I'm hoping that NDA will be lifted for the upcoming beta test.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Firefall is more cartoonly and the lore is also more simplistic.
  • YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Originally posted by m0lly

Do not see this at all. They seem far apart to me. FF seems a bit more shallow to me.

Oh wait both are shooters so they must be alike.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Firefall is fun.  For a while. Waiting for more...  everything.

Defiance is enjoyable and at times challenging, but it's Alpha and needs work.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • JenuvielJenuviel Member Posts: 960
    Originally posted by Grunty

Unless I'm mistaken, it's been in closed beta since January. The thing launches in 19 days, so it better not be in Alpha. I'm sure they'll get a major release day patch, and probably a few hot fixes along the way, but if you're saying it feels like it's in the first round of testing now...that's not great news for the launch. With the game being tied directly to the television show, it's not like they can push the release back a month.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

FF is completely stagnant in its beta cycle. Hardly any changes in over 3 months worth a damn.

Defiance has progressed far further.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by Jenuviel

Unless I'm mistaken, it's been in closed beta since January. The thing launches in 19 days, so it better not be in Alpha. I'm sure they'll get a major release day patch, and probably a few hot fixes along the way, but if you're saying it feels like it's in the first round of testing now...that's not great news for the launch. With the game being tied directly to the television show, it's not like they can push the release back a month.

Today a character wipe occured. The second in the last 5 weeks. There can be good and bad reasons for a character wipe. And my patcher says Alpha.

Wish I could tell you what the Mutant Minigunner was doing. image

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
    Originally posted by jimdandy26

ohhoh, words from someone who havent clearly even touched them, mechanics and action is allmost identical, background story might be little different with different characters in it , but hey , one look abit more cartoonisha nd has thumping when other have quad bikes and cars to drive around with like at " rift " doing arkfalls to get goodies.

Today a character wipe occured. The second in the last 5 weeks. There can be good and bad reasons for a character wipe. And my patcher says Alpha.

Wish I could tell you what the Mutant Minigunner was doing. image

hehe yea. bravely rise up from character delete and just rolled a new one =p

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

All I can really say is that something about Trion's games makes them run like ass on my PC. Firefall runs well, Defiance / Rift run like crap.

Aside from that neither game really explains what's going on, what I'm supposed to be doing, or why I'm doing it. Defiance's weapons also have about as much weight to them as a capgun. Firefall's weapons feel only slightly more weighty.

Not impressed with either game, but I'll be keeping an eye on them. So far neither one feels like the Tabula Rasa remake I've been waiting for.

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

I have no TV and im from Germany.

Can i access the TV show anyhow ? Has it started yet ? what is it about ?

Never saw such concepts, tie a game to a TV show and i can barely imagine how that works out :)

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    Been in both, and personally I liked Defiance better. Reminded me of Borderlands. I think it's really fun, wish there wasn't so much foul language in it though...
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Trion calls their inhouse testing Alphas and their public testing, Beta.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

How much "RPG" is in Defiance? More than in Firefall?

Which one would be more like Fallout 3?

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045

someone living underrock shouldnt post nonsene like this,

trion ruans alpha for real testing. and alpha will run till game release or even after it for new content , closed/open beta is just beta for marketing and letting people to see the game, i havent started firefall for i dont know how long, half year or more? cant  recall when i got invited..  but that game had nothing going for it and was just random not even sure what, defiance is far more solid game, they are quite different , its like comparing teamfortress with battlefield  both are good, but fundamentally different in everyaspect and size ofthe game                    

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

They basically named their closed testing beta their alpha, and the beta is their preview weekend event type things.

Firefall, if fun for a short time, there's just no meat to it, just a decent concept.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

they are nothing alike to be honest, firefall is all about well . . . .its about somethign i dont know even after being a founder for ever and a day, mainly you runn around and drill for resources or kill random mobs. . . .  thats about it the only thing that has changed in almost a year is the bugs getting worse.

fdefience is. . . . well the NDA is still in effect, so ill say this its not perfect but its solid and fun, in fact there is only one thing that is glarely a issue and to be honest if it not fixed it will sour alot of people but its a simple fix, the story is good the combat fun and at a good pace and things stay active.

to be honest if i could have my way i would merge to two bloody games, firefalls movement and UI layout and defiences story and pace mix the togther and ya got one hell of a game

seperate though im more intrested in defience after all it at least has a story :p

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by Squeak69

i would merge to two bloody games, firefalls movement and UI layout and firefalls story and pace mix the togther and ya got one hell of a game

mixing Firefall with Firefall is really not a bad idea, they could call it Firefall

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Defiance is like "Tabula Rasa 2.0" , Firefall is like ... less good.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by FromHell
    Originally posted by Squeak69

i would merge to two bloody games, firefalls movement and UI layout and firefalls story and pace mix the togther and ya got one hell of a game

mixing Firefall with Firefall is really not a bad idea, they could call it Firefall

im confused? what?

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767

Firefall is PvP focused so while the PvP is good, the PvE portion is really lackluster. I am not sure what Defiance PvP is like, but the games mechanics are solid so I am hopeful. The PvE I found very enjoyable. Its nothing groundbreaking, but thats not what I was expecting. Graphically the games are completely different, the same goes for the overall tone.

Right now I am pretty excited about Defiance and starting to get concerned for Firefall. The Firefall devs seem to be redoing their game non stop, while neglecting to add much meaningful content. Im starting to think the game is a really long way away from release and quite frankly getting further from it.