Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I hated WOW because I was told to hate WOW!

Comments

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Originally posted by moguy2

There isnt anything out there as smooth, well put together, and able to run on a commodore 64 like WoW. Every game that has been put out lacks something that wow has. Play the game. My server has omg 1000000 people on it and keeps getting better.  

Lol, I would love to see how this game runs on a commodore 64. 

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by silverseed71

People like you are the reason why democracy doesn't work.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Better late than never! I've been playing mmorpgs for a long, long time and I can say with confidence that WoW is the touchstone of this genre. Haters be damned. Not many mmorpgs have the polish, content and charm to keep so many players hooked year after year. It was the first mmorpg where I felt progression didn't hit that proverbial brick wall I experienced in all the mmos before it (except for UO). The point where a level gained switches from being a foreseeable goal to being slower than grass growth. Annyway...

Enjoy it while you still can. I know I did. But all good things must come to an end and for me raiding at endgame sealed the deal. And I have no desire to ever play again.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

I hate WOW bcs i played it and i feel its ugly, has a bad art style, broken gameplay promises, is boring to death and the reason mmorpg gaming degraded into the sad shallow state the genre shows today.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

WoW was a great game and i would probaly stioll be playing it if it where not for hte fact i have had enough of blizzards protection system being more useful to hackers then players, i have lost more then 3 account plus one for starcraft 2 and another for diablo 3, i never gave out my password or info but all 3 got hacked and i have tried to many damn times to fight through what blizzards claims is a custmer support for me to ever want to try agian.

this is why i will never play any blizzard game agian, but if not for this i would prob still be playing WoW

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Squeak69

WoW was a great game and i would probaly stioll be playing it if it where not for hte fact i have had enough of blizzards protection system being more useful to hackers then players, i have lost more then 3 account plus one for starcraft 2 and another for diablo 3, i never gave out my password or info but all 3 got hacked and i have tried to many damn times to fight through what blizzards claims is a custmer support for me to ever want to try agian.

this is why i will never play any blizzard game agian, but if not for this i would prob still be playing WoW

So you think this is Blizzards fault...none of the blame could possibly be your own?

Does your free / $7 authenticator work?

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Originally posted by Jayaris

Maybe you shouldn't blindly adopt other peoples opinions?

Also, if you've got anxiety and depression escaping into an MMORPG is probably going to make you worse in the long term.

Might want to address your actual issues instead of hiding from them. 

Wow, can't believe you said that. 

You clearly have no concept on the complete and utter void that is depression. You don't 'hide' from depression, you don't escape from it, you don't cover it up. 

Its not like you wake up one day and go 'oh my life is bad, i best do something to make it better' and then you go and do it and your life gets better. It is about having absolutely very little control of your own mindset, for many sufferers imagining a world or an hour, or a day to where you can do something to make you feel better and tackle issues simply does not exist. 

Ive suffered for around 6 years, of course I work also and you get better at managing the symptons as time goes by, obviously medicine helps balance you too, such as fluxontine or in my case citlopram. My counseller said to me that any tool or resource you can muster to give your brain some peace from itself, a form of escapsim is a god-send. Depression for a lot of people can be fatal, for me, it very nearly was a few times. 

So I say to the OP good for you mate, have as much fun as you can get. 

For the record, MoP has been a good xpac, better than cata anyhow. 

Tsu

• azrael466azrael466 Member Posts: 365
    Congrats to me for following the lesser gaming crowd! I don't even have a level 20 on WOW and I am hooked! I have anxiety and depression and I played City of Heroes from the start and it helped my condition. World of Warcraft has picked up where COH closed. I enjoy this game and it's beauty! I enjoy the game just walking around !!!!

WoW is the most hated MMO ever because its the most popular MMO there is. and anytime something gets a fanbase large enough it becomes "cool" to hate it. You should NEVER just follow the crowd and at least experience things before making an opinion on it.

Playing
    Nothing
    waiting for
    The secret world
    Played
    WoW, DCU online, star wars: the old republic, city of heroes, city of villains, everquest, plenty more I'm probably forgetting or aren't worth noting.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

For a while WoW did become boring.

But I've noticed that with each expansion a new facet is introduced.

For example, archaeology was introduced, and now there are pet battles. There is now weeks of new content just for each one of these different facets. Therefore, there are now different ways of leveling and playing the game. 

I don't think there is any other game that come close to WoW's diversity, but I couldn't say that a few years ago.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Congrats to me for following the lesser gaming crowd! I don't even have a level 20 on WOW and I am hooked! I have anxiety and depression and I played City of Heroes from the start and it helped my condition. World of Warcraft has picked up where COH closed. I enjoy this game and it's beauty! I enjoy the game just walking around !!!!

always try things for yourself..

Me i tried WOW and it sucks... but i love games liek Darkfall and Mortal Online.. we all like different things and if i had listened to the masses i would have never tried DF or MO..

Glad you found somthing you enjoy...

Originally posted by evilastro
    WoW introduced a lot of things that older fans of the genre are not keen on. The game itself is passable for what it is, a mainstream shallow time waster. But for those of us who weren't introduced to the genre with WoW, it isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread that the majority make it out to be. Hence the backlash.

You could say that all games (except maybe sport) are "shallow time wasters" - socially and economically speaking. 

It depends on how you play a game that matters.

If it's just to rest and re-charge for a bit after coming home around dinner time, I think that's ok because it's not as if you'll be particularly productive around that time of day anyway.

Originally posted by Caldrin

always try things for yourself..

Me i tried WOW and it sucks... but i love games liek Darkfall and Mortal Online.. we all like different things and if i had listened to the masses i would have never tried DF or MO..

Glad you found somthing you enjoy...

I agree - Darkfall is a great game BUT the server will be wiped soon and everyone will have to start again from the beginning!

In contrast, my main character in WoW was born shortly after WoW's release in November 2004. When you think about it, that's truly amazing. The skills I picked up in 2004 are being 'built upon' today.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011

Well then, I suppose this is an important life lesson, regardless of  "WoW".

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

Where have you been back in 2004?!?!? You missed a lot. And by "a lot" i REALLY mean "a lot". :)

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by grimfall

I think that it was more people looking for a different game and hating on the clones... and then hating WoW for it's popularity because it was so huge that all the development money for the last 8 years has gone towards making clones.

WoW is not to blame for this. Devs and publishers who wanted Blizzards income in their own pockets while taking the easy way out (cloning) are to blame. image

• Kingmob23Kingmob23 Member UncommonPosts: 78
    WoW introduced a lot of things that older fans of the genre are not keen on. The game itself is passable for what it is, a mainstream shallow time waster. But for those of us who weren't introduced to the genre with WoW, it isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread that the majority make it out to be. Hence the backlash.

I was introduced to the genre with Everquest in 1999 and I was there at week one of Asheron's Call and I think WoW is better than both by a wide margin. The game has more features than any of those two and has a much more lively and intreseting world to explore than either. WoW gets tagged as a shallow time waster, I remember playing EQ and farming the same mobs over and over again for days at a time  just to level. Games with interesting sandbox features such as SWG were a buggy mess and was bogged down with poor combat. I'm tired of mmo vets coming on and telling others that they missed out on a gaming renascence that was ruined by WoW. WoW was better than any other themepark mmo out at its release and was funner than any of the sandbox ones. Thats why lots of older fans of the genre flocked to WoW when it came out and were subbed to it for years.

Originally posted by Kingmob23

I was introduced to the genre with Everquest in 1999 and I was there at week one of Asheron's Call and I think WoW is better than both by a wide margin. The game has more features than any of those two and has a much more lively and intreseting world to explore than either. WoW gets tagged as a shallow time waster, I remember playing EQ and farming the same mobs over and over again for days at a time  just to level. Games with interesting sandbox features such as SWG were a buggy mess and was bogged down with poor combat. I'm tired of mmo vets coming on and telling others that they missed out on a gaming renascence that was ruined by WoW. WoW was better than any other themepark mmo out at its release and was funner than any of the sandbox ones. Thats why lots of older fans of the genre flocked to WoW when it came out and were subbed to it for years.

I like WoW, but it can be a shallow time-waster if you play it wrong.

For example, yesterday I tried to 'farm' battle-stones for pet battles. This wasted a whole day and I didn't get the battle-stone(s) I wanted.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

You could say that all games (except maybe sport) are "shallow time wasters" - socially and economically speaking. 

If it's just to rest and re-charge for a bit after coming home around dinner time, I think that's ok because it's not as if you'll be particularly productive around that time of day anyway.

YOu could also say that all TV series and moves are also shallow time wasters. But people spend hours on end watching TV :D

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• Teh_AxiTeh_Axi Member UncommonPosts: 380
    You sold out son.
  • RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767
    Play what you want, don't listen to others. A simple rule I go by, especially when it comes to mmos. The odd thing about mmo gamers is that once they get bored of the game even after 5000h+ the game magically turns to shit. Immediatly once they are burned out they have some sort of revelation that what they have been playing is just about the worst thing in gaming. It's odd and a bit sad. I played WoW for 2 years, I got bored, I stopped. I never felt the need to bash it or somehow turn my fond memories into seething hate.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by fivoroth
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

YOu could also say that all TV series and moves are also shallow time wasters. But people spend hours on end watching TV :D

apparently TV in the USA is pretty bad for the 'shallow' etc, stuff, which given how bad the TV is in the UK, must mean its pretty terrible, the wife turns on the tv in the evening to watch emmerdale and corry, and after that the idiot box has the rest of the night off, tbh, TV these days is just several shades of bland... however, rest of the evening the wife is usually on facebook chatting with the rest of the family/friends etc..

i think its fair to say that PC's or perhaps, the internet, has really become the main 'entertainment' focus, and how many people here would rather play an MMO than watch another episode of 'generic soap' on TV, i mean, maybe we do complain about MMO's but if i had to choose between being forced to watch telly or play an MMO, then even STO would win..image

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Honestly, I did not enjoy WoW, but that had very little to do with the actual game.  My issue is more with the community.  Having said that, If you enjoy it and are having a great time with it, then that is all that matters.  Play what you like, and enjoy it while you do.  Best of luck to you.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• ace5572ace5572 Member Posts: 113

If you played WoW when it first came out you would understand. It wasn't as much of a challenge as say EQ or UO was but atleast they (Blizzard) kind of challenged you. Now WoW is just some dumbed-down piece of crap. That aside, wheres the customization? Every piece of armor looks the same and is the same color.

Also you can't look past all the obvious cash grabs. 20 dollars for a mount? Are you serious? ARE YOU SERIOUS!? But...but.....its a unicorn!

Thanks for being part of the "lesser crowd" and giving an evil corporation (Activision who owns Blizzard) more money to ruin more videogames.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Originally posted by ace5572

If you played WoW when it first came out you would understand. It wasn't as much of a challenge as say EQ or UO was but atleast they (Blizzard) kind of challenged you. Now WoW is just some dumbed-down piece of crap. That aside, wheres the customization? Every piece of armor looks the same and is the same color.

Also you can't look past all the obvious cash grabs. 20 dollars for a mount? Are you serious? ARE YOU SERIOUS!? But...but.....its a unicorn!

Thanks for being part of the "lesser crowd" and giving an evil corporation (Activision who owns Blizzard) more money to ruin more videogames.

This guy is right.........The game is crap now !

• TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 311
      I got sick of WoW. i did Vanilla, Burning crusade and then burned out on Lich king, have visited  from time to time but never got back into it.