Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help deciding mmo (poll - Rift, Tera or GW2)

Comments

• memphis12memphis12 Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by memphis12

I'm 100% not a pvp player lol. It wouldn't bothe rme if I never pvp'd in an mmo. 

Im currently watching a video on age of conan ( a spanner in the works, but maybe an interesting wild card for me. ) 

I love mounts, gear, dungeons, being a tank, nice community, guild setup (levelling guild = better perks for to use), lots of skills to use.

im actually leaning more towards Tera. I will try it out next week, for sure. 

I have a lancer in Tera and I love it. It's one of my favorite classes out of all the games I've played. The game has mounts, gear, dungeons.

Join a non-pvp server and you will be fine. Having said that the community can seem a little suspect so look hard for a good guild.

That's what put me off a little. I heard the community is quite immature.. So much, that a lot of people quit due the community being immature. I hope this isn't the case.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

I'm 100% not a pvp player lol. It wouldn't bothe rme if I never pvp'd in an mmo. 

Im currently watching a video on age of conan ( a spanner in the works, but maybe an interesting wild card for me. ) 

I love mounts, gear, dungeons, being a tank, nice community, guild setup (levelling guild = better perks for to use), lots of skills to use.

GW2 doesnt have mounts. GW2 doesnt have set roles like tanking/healer/DPS. The guilds in GW2 are meh. You could never be in a guild and not know the difference. The dungeons can be fun if you get an organized group that doesnt spend its time spamming the res button. . .

In contradiction TERA has a lot of interesting mounts. The dungeons are super fun even with a bad group (argueably more fun since shit is hitting the fan and one good player can really turn the tide, particularly a good tank). IE; Me (Sorc) and a guildie (Zerker) were doing one of the end game dungeons and our tank/healer and other DPS wiped on the final boss with her at about 90% HP. We were able to duo her down just through very very careful play and swapping aggro. Me kiting while he was in a pinch and him tanking if I was in one. 

Guilds in TERA don't have "perks", but it does boast a political system that is specifically tied to guilds. Being a Vanarch of an area and controlling the settings while banking on merchant sales etc. You do get a special Vanarch mount as well. 

Lancers/Warriors (the tanks) have a very fun mechanic. No more passive tanking. You have to actively throw up your shield and tank the dmg while throwing your own damaging skills in to keep hate off the other DPS and do a bit of DPS yourself. Its tanking amplified. 

How many skills you get depends on your class. Lancers have a moderate amount. Warriors have a lot. 

TERA has a global chat is the reason it gets a bad rep for its community. Turn global off and leave LFG/TRADE on and you get rid of a vast majority of the immature kiddies that are also playing. I would have to say TERA has a nice community once you do that. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

Even if I am not a big gw2 fan, it's the best choice in my opinion from all the mmos in the poll unless you want to try some older ones like eq2,lotro or wow.Tera while having a fun combat has also quite boring quests and improving armor at max level depends on random chance at getting good enchants.Rift was destroyed for me by developers choice to get rid of all lore and faction vs faction feeling with their mercenary system ,just because they were too lazy to try and find a way to balance factions.Even for pve I don't think rift is worth a subscription price when compared to guild wars since I don't care much for raids.You should try tera and rift (until lv 20 i think ) for free and check guild wars 2 videos then decide .

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882

I have a lancer in Tera and I love it. It's one of my favorite classes out of all the games I've played. The game has mounts, gear, dungeons.

Join a non-pvp server and you will be fine. Having said that the community can seem a little suspect so look hard for a good guild.

That's what put me off a little. I heard the community is quite immature.. So much, that a lot of people quit due the community being immature. I hope this isn't the case.

Global chat in any game is going to be immature just make great use of the block button.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

I would have recommended GW2 to you but after this post I would say definitely don't play GW2. All the things you like - mounts, gear progressions, the tank rol are missing from GW2. I would recommend Rift from your list. EQ2 is another great MMO i would try if I were you. WoW too but you said you didn't like it so I guess not.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Punk999

Global chat in any game is going to be immature just make great use of the block button.

Some games are definitely worse than others.  And TERA is as bad as it gets, way worse than WoW trade chat.

EQ2 > LOTRO > Rift > WoW >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> TERA for community.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

GW2 will keep for happy for a bit.

Tera will keep you amazed until you get bored of the combat system and you realise it's a standard asian MMO (which I associate with low quality.. as in 'grinder' and 'generic') with an awesome combat system on top.

Rift is... traditional. It's high quality though and even better with the expansion. It will last you the longest, probably. I have a year sub to Rift and I don't regret it.

My verdict?

Every MMOer should have played GW2. If they havn't at least tried it then they are not real MMO fans. It's full on quality but lacks the 'grip' that traditional MMOs have... like 'meaningful' progressive loot and proper character customization/progression. But get GW2 and play it until you are fed up. You will get fed up.. but you'll have lots of fun up until that point.

Then, while GW2 sits on your system ready to check out each and every update for no extra cost, feed your traditional MMO needs with Rift because the expansion is 'massive' and high quality.

Tera? Do a trial or something to see how great the combat is and how pretty it is. Then, leave it alone because, other than that, there isn't much to see. It's a shame that combat system wasn't added to WoW or Rift or something (any traditional Western MMO) and is stuck on Tera.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Originally posted by nolins12
    There are no raids in GW2 either, if endgame is what you are looking for definitely stay away from GW2, your worries about the lack of the holy trinity are correct.

Well said.

If you "lived and breathed" Rift, then you probably don't mind linear quest hub grinding. if that's the case, then I strongly suggest TERA. It's Rift with IMO the best combat system in any MMO to date.

Joined - July 2004

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Without even looking at the results of the poll here are the results... 

1) GW2

2) Rift

3) Tera

I would recomend trying all 3 if you can, I like both GW2 and Rift. GW2 has better combat, Rift has some cool classes. GW2 has better PVE and Rift has better PvP. 

Swap that around, and you have it correct.

Rift's PvE endgame is leaps and bounds beyond GW2.....at the same time, GW2's PVP/WvW is leaps and bounds ahead of Rift's plain battleground type pvp.

Originally posted by Punk999

Not all the games are the same ,while lv 1-9 chat in eq2 has some bad moments I didn't saw anything like the general chat in Tera.Even wow or aoc chat were not as bad .The good thing is that you can just leave general and local , while still having some problems from time to time ,is much better than the general chat.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by eldaris

Not all the games are the same ,while lv 1-9 chat in eq2 has some bad moments I didn't saw anything like the general chat in Tera.Even wow or aoc chat were not as bad .The good thing is that you can just leave general and local , while still having some problems from time to time ,is much better than the general chat.

lvl 1-9 chat isn't a global chat. The reason it's so bad is because of the number of ppl in it and it's unmoderated. If anyone is worried about what you'll see in teras global chat just turn it off.

The community isn't the retards trying to out do each other for attention in global chat. It's the ppl you meet playing the game.

If you're going to play tera look for an active guild. I don't think it's all that fun solo...but maybe that's just me. Of course I don't think any mmo is fun solo so...I may be biased :)

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by doodphace
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Without even looking at the results of the poll here are the results... 

1) GW2

2) Rift

3) Tera

I would recomend trying all 3 if you can, I like both GW2 and Rift. GW2 has better combat, Rift has some cool classes. GW2 has better PVE and Rift has better PvP. 

Swap that around, and you have it correct.

Rift's PvE endgame is leaps and bounds beyond GW2.....at the same time, GW2's PVP/WvW is leaps and bounds ahead of Rift's plain battleground type pvp.

No, for me personally I preffered GW2s PvE and Rifts PvP. 

GW2's dungeon were some of the best PvE experiences I've had in an MMO in a long while and I liked the Dynamic event system a lot, but I found the PvP lacking. I come from a heavy PvP background though, I generally dislike PvE as its way to easy for me most of the time. I tend to solo group oriented content in most games and can generally figure out how to solo group centric bosses. 

Rift PvE is easy for me and yes, even endgame PvE. PvP on the other hand is a great deal of fun. I love my saboteur in PvP. Its by far the most fun I've had in themepark PvP. 

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Without voting in the poll I can tell you the results will be;

1) GW2

2) Rift

3) TERA

Based on popularity and site bias. However, I would say TERA if you want good combat/decent content, Rift if you want lots of content, GW2 if you want to casually play through the fun leveling experience but don't plan to stay long-term. Good game, no content/progression whatsoever though.

Also, you mentioned the lack of raids as a concern for TERA, well GW2 has no raids either, however TERA has two in development right now and two mini-raids that were just released.

Edit: Voted and what do you know, I was right.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I would say Rift based on what It sounds would fit you.

But if you have kids, wife / fiance, ect and want a fun casual game then GW2. I think you may find a family, especially with young kids and a new marriage / engagement, will be more important than Raiding endgame in an MMO. And will for sure take up time you used to spend raiding.

Lv 1-9 chat in eq2 was used as a global chat so the difference in quality of chat has more to do with the type of game eq2 is compared to tera.Different type of games attract different types of people this is why eq2 or lotro have better and friendlier communities.Local chat in tera is much better than general but that does not mean that general chat is the same in all mmos. About guilds ,depends from person to person ,I for one only join small guilds and when invited by people I already know and like ,not interested in joining a guild only to be able to enjoy parts of the game.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

I'm playing Rift and still subbed to LOTRO. Both are decent themeparks with rich worlds and an endgame focused on raiding. In both you'll find plenty of grind if you want the best or to see the top tier content. Both support RP and have plenty of "fluff" content including events, cosmetics, vanity items, useful crafting, housing, etc. And both have robust economies to get what you want as well as very little in the way of spammers and hacking.

Notable Pros
    LOTRO - Lore - the game adheres to the excellent story by Tolkien
    LOTRO - Environment - really makes you feel you are in story locales
    LOTRO - Mounted Combat - takes some getting used to but this is fun
    LOTRO - Mature playerbase, supportive community
    Rift - Dimensions - da bomb. Sandboxy housing in a themepark ftw
    Rift - Leaderboards for everything for the competitive and achievers
    Rift - Crisp graphics
    Rift - Very flexible character creation and abilities options

Notable Cons
    LOTRO - Avatar graphics are quite dated
    LOTRO - Performance is a major issue and complaint these days in Rohan
    LOTRO - New level cap is 85, long way to level from scratch even if it's fast
    Rift - SL Carnage quests get old
    Rift - Community is a lot like WoW

Just my nickel, hope it's useful.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

I don't get my new laptop until next week so I'm currently watching videos and asking questions on various mmo sites. I have narrowed my search for a good mmo for me to Rift, Guild Wars 2 and Tera. 

I played, loved and breathed Rift for a long time. But, family life came along (kids, fiancé etc) and I left. Money is not important in my decision .. Just the best MMO out of these 3. I know they all differ from one another, GW2 more than most .. But I thought if I good get some input from you guys then it might help me along. 

**snip**

I know everyone's choice is personal to them, and the reasons for that choice might be what turns me off from the game, but I'm curious all the same. 

Thanks in advance for any help.

Best advice I can give you is this:

Rift: Great game. Perfect for those who enjoyed WoW, prefer that type of MMO, but want something different enough to feel like a new game.

TERA: Good game. Perfect for those who like FFA PvP, and want a more action-oriented combat system. PvE is extremely grindy / lackluster, though the dungeons can be fun at times. If you were / are a big fan of lineage-type MMOs, this one might be for you.

GW2: Great game. This game is for people looking for a different type of MMO. It's perhaps the most unique of the 3. If you want to try something very different, GW2 is definitely worth giving a shot. However, it's also a bit of a gamble, because of how unique the game is in many areas. It's also not a game that's really focused around a carrot, per-se. So if you know you are the type of gamer who wants to always be chasing that 'next coolest thing', GW2 probably won't hold your attention. It has good PvP, I enjoy the PvE, but I don't play it as regularly as I used to. For me, GW2 is currently an MMO I hop into for a bit here & there to have some fun without too many strings attached.

- Really, it all depends on the type of gamer you are. Each of the above 3 caters to a different crowd. All of the above 3 will have people claiming they are the best for w/e reason. If you're trying to avoid making a bad choice, figure out what type of gamer you are / what crowd u have the most fun with / what types of things you enjoy most in your games. Then, go with the game that seems to match your tastes best.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
    Originally posted by Raventree
    Originally posted by Gravarg
    I'm currently playing Rift and WoW.  There's just nothing that beats either of them in any category, so why play anything else :)

I'll second this.  As someone who played WoW for about 5 years until I could no longer bring myself to log in anymore, Rift is another fantastic option.  Honestly, if I had started with Rift, WoW would have seemed pretty pathetic because of Rift's newer systems, better graphics, and awesome class flexibility.  Only WoW can boast 9-10 million players, though. 

Its amazing how many ex-WoW players Rift stole by basically copying the game...To me it sets a very bad precedent.....There are lots of WoW clones out there but Rift is a WoW copy......

• akkedis86akkedis86 Member UncommonPosts: 123

Hi,

I tried all three, but must admit that with Tera, and Rift, I only hit the start zones before I said enough is enough.

I value graphics, and Rift just didn't do it for me, although I can see some peoples appeal for the game.

Tera/Tera: rising  

This might be action based, but don't be fooled.

With my class atleast I ended up special attack, special attack dodge, special attack, special attack, dodge, VERY Boring , and very clunky indeed.

Guild Wars 2, is the littlest evil in all of this, as they truly try to atleast hide the grind, and you do not have gear grind, or maybe just a little.

To get to decent gear will take you two days at 80, and I would say for a family person, it's just the right amount of casual.

It has the best graphics of the lot, it is buy to play, though you get a cash shop, and the story is relatively gripping.

• HycooHycoo Member UncommonPosts: 217
    tsw

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by nolins12
    There are no raids in GW2 either, if endgame is what you are looking for definitely stay away from GW2, your worries about the lack of the holy trinity are correct.

Thanks for the input. Another that is in the back of my mind is LOTR (played that for a while also) 

To be honest raiding isn't my priority, but I do like challenges and things like raids to look forward to. 

What would be your personal choice out of the bunch? 

Lotro has changed a lot since it went F2P, so i would read up on it first, if you decide to go back.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    Honestly, I've never played TERA, but I have played GW2 and Rift. Rift beats the pants of GW2 easily.
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Go GW2 if you want a good game.  Go Tera if you want to get used to combat for future games featuring action combat.  If you go Rift, you might as well go WoW it does everythign better and more polished.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• CernanCernan Member UncommonPosts: 360

1) Rift

2) Secret World

3) Tera

4) GW2

That's my ranking.  I don't see TSW in your list, but I would definitely consider it.   I'd give Rift and TSW a tie if I could.  TSW has a great story and the instances are all fun.  Instance runs are all about the boss fights.  There is little to no trash in instances.  Rift has great polish and just feels good all around.  If you want more dynamic combat then I pick Tera over GW2.  Tera's combat is much more fluid.  The dodging feels more natural and precise.  I prefer dedicated roles and I couldn't seem to get past that in GW2.  Running pugs in instances was hard and not rewarding at all.  It was every man for himself.  Occassionally you'd find a group that was organized and talked out combat.  However, I still missed defined roles.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Though honestly I'd pick either Rift or GW2 if I where you, I don't think for you, that you could go wrong with either one, Rift is a good traditional MMORPG IMO, for me if it weren't for the sub and tab targeting I'd be playing it alongside Guild Wars 2. 

But yea I voted GW2 yet I wouldn't be dissappointed if you chose Rift and prefer it over GW2.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.